Why Crosses and Crucifixes?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Friends of Jesus

Nov 25, 2021
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well He still has the nail prints in His hands and feet, and the wound in His side. So He is reminded of the cross all the time while in Heaven.

Whether you like it or not, the cross stands for Christianity. It is not to be used as a talisman or a charm or an idol, but it is an indirect statement of the Gospel. Paul said that he preached Christ, and Him crucified. So if there is a massive cross behind every pulpit, it should remind every person that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners. And to do so He was made SIN for us (He who knew no sin).

The strange thing though is that many genuine Christians do not comprehend what really happened at the cross. We may never comprehend it fully, but there is enough Scripture to show us that an enormous price was paid at the cross during those three dark hours.

Amen.

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Hebrews made an idol out of the bronze snake Moses fashioned in the desert.
The religious Jews get about with 'boxes' tired to their foreheads with scripture in them and little plastic scrolls nailed to their doorposts.

I will refrain from telling you what muslims do or what Hindus do in the same vane or even what an avid football fan displays in their enthusiasm.

All these things enable hiding from the reality of what is going on.

....and herein is my signature in red appropriate:
'What men want is a method of forgetting God that shall pass as a method of remembering him'

Hey my friend I’m not sure what you are trying to say to me at all.

I’ll just remind you of this.

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

New Living Translation
The message of the cross is foolish to those who are headed for destruction! But we who are being saved know it is the very power of God.

English Standard Version
For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Therefore without the cross ie Jesus dying in the first place there would have never been forgiveness of sins. I keep that near to my heart, and the burial and resurrection.

No one else would have done it for us my friend…

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I find it interesting that Jesus says to take up our cross daily and follow Him...
“And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.”
— Luke 9:23 (KJV)
“And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.”
— Luke 14:27 (KJV)
“And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.”
— Matthew 10:38 (KJV)

Now this is obviously not a physical cross...but what does Jesus mean by take up our cross daily?
@Heart2Soul Walking with Him in the light of His Cross: when we experience the transforming power of God....?

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I said that the cross stands for Christianity. Not "biblical Christianity" but Christianity as distinct from all other religions. No matter where you go in this world, non-Christians who see the cross identify it with Christianity.

At the same time, Paul uses "cross" and "crucified" as applying to Christians. Now that is biblical Christianity. And it was Christ who first applied "cross" to Christians.

And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. (Mt 10:38; Mk 8:34; 10:21; Lk 9:23; 14:27)

For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. (1 Cor 1:17,18)
I know what you said, and i'll said it again: it doesn't stand for Christianity in any way.
Hi @Desire Of All Nations Actually the picture of the lady's fish tattoo represents ICHTHUS, - that @Heart2Soul says she likes, as seemingly does the lady in the picture - which both means fish and is also an acrostic in Latin affirming the Deity of Christ.
I think i'll stick with the actual facts of history and not "Christian" myths.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Think about it. We make a tradition out of crosses and crucifixes. We do it to show honor.

But does Jesus want to constantly be reminded of the most traumatic time of his life?

I mean, a cross was a Roman execution device. Maybe Jesus sees it and thinks, "Ouch."

Sometimes I think we think of Jesus as a symbol rather than relating to Him as a person.

Maybe He'd prefer Veggitales to the Passion of the Christ.

Personally, I prefer the Icathus (Fish symbol).

the crucifix is the means of portraying the passion and death of Christ!

the passion and death are the great means of repentance!

Gal 3:1 o foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

Reactions: Wynona

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christian Meditation!

Meditation on the passion and death of Christ!

agony in the garden:

scourging at the pillar:

crowning with thorns:

carrying the holy cross:

Jesus is crucified, and dies on the cross:

Mother of sorrows: Jesus is taken down from the cross and laid in the arms of Mary the sorrowful mother!

Lk 2:35 (Yea, a sword shall pierce through thy own soul also,) that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed.

The fruit of meditation n the passion of Christ is repentance, true sorrow for sin!

Jesus is the victim of our sins!

Agony in the garden:

Jesus takes all our sins upon Himself!

Scourging at the pillar:

For my sins of the flesh and impurity!

Crowning with thorns:

For my sins of pride, spiritual pride, and impure thoughts, and lusts of the flesh!

Carrying the holy cross:

For my all my sins!

For all the sins of the world! Jn 1:29 behold the lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world!

The sinners method of meditation!

Agony in the garden:

Jesus takes our sins upon Himself, sheds His blood, precious blood of Jesus, save us!
He is betrayed:
Bound:
Brutally treated, dragged off to trial:

It was my sins that betrayed Him, my sins that bound His holy hands that He only ever raised in blessing, my sins that dragged him away!

Scourging at the pillar:

It was my lust, my sins of filth and impurity, lusting after impure images!

Crowning with thorns:

It was my pride, spiritual pride, presumption, and arrogance, my thoughts of impurity that crowned Him with painful thorns!

Carrying the holy cross:

It was weight of my sins that cast Him to the ground under the weight of the holy cross!

My sins have crucified Thee Oh Lord!
I have sinned against heaven and Thee!
My Jesus, Mercy! For the sake of the sorrowful passion, have mercy on us, and on the whole world, my Jesus, pardon and mercy by the merits of Thy holy wounds! my Jesus mercy!

Holy mother pierce me through, in my heart each wound renew of my savior crucified!

Oh sacred head surrounded with crown of piercing thorns, Oh bleeding head so
wounded, reviled and put to scorn!

John 12:32
And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto myself.

Reactions: Wynona

Mark51

Nov 8, 2020
BROOKLYN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Think about it. We make a tradition out of crosses and crucifixes. We do it to show honor.

But does Jesus want to constantly be reminded of the most traumatic time of his life?

I mean, a cross was a Roman execution device. Maybe Jesus sees it and thinks, "Ouch."

Sometimes I think we think of Jesus as a symbol rather than relating to Him as a person.

Maybe He'd prefer Veggitales to the Passion of the Christ.

Personally, I prefer the Icathus (Fish symbol).

In support, I wonder if anyone of us would wear, display, hold in reverence-a symbol-of a weapon that was used to kill/torturer one of aifour loved ones. However, is not an "Icathus" an "idol" something that may to be worshiped or viewed with reverence?

Reactions: Nancy

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In support, I wonder if anyone of us would wear, display, hold in reverence-a symbol-of a weapon that was used to kill/torturer one of aifour loved ones. However, is not an "Icathus" an "idol" something that may to be worshiped or viewed with reverence?

That cross is what saved us. And He doesn't need to be reminded of anything--as if He forgets anything.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

don’t read the Bible!

Gal 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

John 12:32
And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

1 Corinthians 2:2
For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

1 cor 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus still carries the wounds of His crucifixion in His body. So He is constantly reminded of His one great sacrifice for sins forever.

Getting back to crosses and crucifixes, there is a positive aspect as well as a negative aspect. If there is an actual cross standing behind a preacher within a church, that can have a tremendous impact, since all preachers are to preach "Christ and Him crucified". On the other hand, when people wear crosses and crucifixes as ornaments, they do not do justice to the cross, which was never meant to be an ornament. Also, the Catholic Christ on a crucifix is not consistent with the fact that Christ rose from then dead, ascended to Heaven, and is now seated at the right hand of the Father.