Why did Jesus accuse these Jews of wanting to kill him?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I was just reading through John 8:31-47 and I noticed something odd. Jesus is addressing Jews who, according to John 8:31, believed in Him. But then Jesus goes on to accuse that same crowd of being wicked and plotting to kill Him. So first Jesus teaches them truth, but then, alluvasudden, they become His enemies while He's speaking? Can anyone explain this?

JOHN 8:31-47———
31 Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. 32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”

33 They answered Him, “We are Abraham’s descendants, and have never been in bondage to anyone. How can You say, ‘You will be made free’?”

34 Jesus answered them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin. 35 And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever. 36 Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.

37 “I know that you are Abraham’s descendants, but you seek to kill Me, because My word has no place in you. 38 I speak what I have seen with My Father, and you do what you have [n]seen with your father.”

39 They answered and said to Him, “Abraham is our father.”

Jesus said to them, “If you were Abraham’s children, you would do the works of Abraham. 40 But now you seek to kill Me, a Man who has told you the truth which I heard from God. Abraham did not do this. 41 You do the deeds of your father.”

Then they said to Him, “We were not born of fornication; we have one Father—God.”

42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and came from God; nor have I come of Myself, but He sent Me. 43 Why do you not understand My speech? Because you are not able to listen to My word. 44 You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it. 45 But because I tell the truth, you do not believe Me. 46 Which of you convicts Me of sin? And if I tell the truth, why do you not believe Me? 47 He who is of God hears God’s words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God.”

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I was just reading through John 8:31-47 and I noticed something odd. Jesus is addressing Jews who, according to John 8:31, believed in Him. But then Jesus goes on to accuse that same crowd of being wicked and plotting to kill Him. So first Jesus teaches them truth, but then, alluvasudden, they become His enemies while He's speaking? Can anyone explain this?

31 Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. 32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”

33 They answered Him, “We are Abraham’s descendants, and have never been in bondage to anyone. How can You say, ‘You will be made free’?”

34 Jesus answered them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin. 35 And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever. 36 Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.

37 “I know that you are Abraham’s descendants, but you seek to kill Me, because My word has no place in you. 38 I speak what I have seen with My Father, and you do what you have [n]seen with your father.”

Jesus said to them, “If you were Abraham’s children, you would do the works of Abraham. 40 But now you seek to kill Me, a Man who has told you the truth which I heard from God. Abraham did not do this. 41 You do the deeds of your father.”

Then they said to Him, “We were not born of fornication; we have one Father—God.”

42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and came from God; nor have I come of Myself, but He sent Me. 43 Why do you not understand My speech? Because you are not able to listen to My word. 44 You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it. 45 But because I tell the truth, you do not believe Me. 46 Which of you convicts Me of sin? And if I tell the truth, why do you not believe Me? 47 He who is of God hears God’s words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God.”
Taking on Jesus name aka 'believing in him' is done for plenty of nefarious reasons. Seeing through the facade is more than helpful and Jesus was quick at recognising the game.

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Taking on Jesus name aka 'believing in him' is done for plenty of nefarious reasons. Seeing through the facade is more than helpful and Jesus was quick at recognising the game.
But it certainly sounds like verse 31 is saying that they honestly believed on Him, doesn't it? It doesn't strike me as being nefarious at all.

Like, they believed in Him because He had just preached to them and the word was sown into their hearts. That's what it sounds like to me.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
But it certainly sounds like verse 31 is saying that they honestly believed on Him, doesn't it? It doesn't strike me as being nefarious at all.

Like, they believed in Him because He had just preached to them and the word was sown into their hearts. That's what it sounds like to me.
The continuing context tells the truth. Have a look at verse 59.

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can anyone explain this?
Jesus was speaking to a group of people among who were Pharisees V13.

And while some believed ....the Pharisees were a special case. I won’t elaborate on this but Jesus calls them out in Jhn 8:44Ye are of your father the devil …. The significance of that is much more involved, and Jesus could only know that by revelation from God. It is a condition that is unalterable.

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Belief in government = belief in slavery.
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Institutions and controllers always squash Truth. The controlers want to controle you as a slave but the Truth sets you free so they "kill" it. Look at the big pharmaceutical companies today for example. History repeats itself and when we become aligned with Truth we understand this and can predict it as prophecy.

When people are living within lies and deception, they are offended by Truth.

Look at Julian Assange for example. He released Truth to the public and now they want him dead. Its the same thing.

No one kid themselves, for the Fathers will has not been done as of this day. It is up to us to harness the courage and to take on the great work. However we will be bearing crosses. Nothing has changed exept for the fact that we are more enslaved now and it will be harder for us to break free of the shackles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

When Jesus was walking about, no one knew him in fact to be the Christ, but some had faith that he was the Christ but others had another agenda of their own, what he is talking about.
Remember the ones who crept in unawares ? for they undermined the God of Israel in fact.
Then one has to understand all that such did against the God of Israel !

It was only when Jesus went to Heaven that people knew he was the Christ Jesus.

Not to forget that Jesus is not the god of the dead ? but they being religious idol the dead ?

Christ Jesus is the God of the living ? what does he bring ? Life in abundance ! such is not to be serving the dead ? but life in abundance and that is what Christ Jesus brings ! for all are dead to such a life ? until they are truly born again of the Holy Spirit. It is then that one is free of the deceptions and delusions of this world. Then one can carry on with life in abundance, the temptations are comprehended for what they truly are and one just kicks such over like toadstools that pop up along your path.

Look at the history of the Jews ? we see people who became worthy of God ! Jacob became Israel for a reason, because he was worthy of God as regards of an Angel, then we see Nathaniel was the same and it was Jesus who said of him because he was worthy of the Name Israel in fact. Now what i have seen is religious leadership nowadays will not bring up this point for fear that it may wake someone up !

Now Stephen was killed for stating the facts of regarding the Truth, in Acts ! He pointed out what was wrong with the direction the Jews in history were heading was not serving the God of Israel in fact ! Stephen pointed out what that bastard Star was man made and not worthy of God in fact.

See religion is not worthy ? it never was ! Only Christ Saves ! That is the point, you must be Saved. you must have Grace to serve Christ Jesus and it's Christ Jesus who gives that to one. no one other can do such at all !
Religion is like a dog chasing it's tail. it goes no where and has no direction, until one had direction to serve the living God ! then you will fined such in abundance. "Amassing Grace" !