Why did the devil have power over death?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am curious and confused. It may be a really stupid question, one I should know: I understand Christ had to die and be resurrected because man(and woman)sinned but why did the devil have power over death? Yes, man was cursed. yes, Satan was cursed:

Genesis 3:15 KJV
[15] And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

But Adam and Eve were not eternal in garden prior to sin, correct? When was the power over death given to the devil? Was it passed when man sinned? Why did that power over death have to be broken?

Hebrews 2:14-15 KJV
[14] Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; [15] And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

Last edited:

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
very simple

Mat_4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Luk_4:4 And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

Joh_6:57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.

note that Jesus is the Word of God therefore the Truth by which all the living live. anything else would be what? death right?

in the garden the Lord God gave them commandment which is God's Judgement which is Life if they believed and trusted the commandment, or even He who gave it, then things would be very different. but they trusted there own judgement by listening to and trusting the words of the liar the father of lies according to Jesus which is death. actually it was man who invited death into the world and what causes this death is the belief and trust or placing one's faith into a lie.

hence Satan's ability to deceive is death or the result is death.

Reactions: Helen and lforrest