Why didn't God destroy Satan at the beginning?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

URwrongAgain

Feb 23, 2024
LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m not sure of what you mean…

Are you saying the Lord must build the house?

Matthew says a wise man builds his house..

Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock.

Proverbs says a wise woman builds her house..

The wisest of women builds her house,

URwrongAgain

Feb 23, 2024
LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m not sure of what you mean…
I am saying that if my God
is not watching over me and keeping me from falling,
no matter how sober and vigilant or strong I am in faith,
my own flesh would overcome me an would consume me, much less the devil.

Do you hear me?

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am saying that if my God
is not watching over me and keeping me from falling,
no matter how sober and vigilant or strong I am in faith,
my own flesh would overcome me an would consume me, much less the devil.

Do you hear me?
Yes… but if you want God to watch over you; you must do what He says.

Psalms 33
But the LORD watches over those who fear him, those who rely on his unfailing love.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Satan always wanted to be God and will do everything he can to pretend he is Christ when he's here to deceive the world. It’s important to remember that Lucifer which is another name for Satan, had challenged the fairness and justice of God. He had started with his lies in heaven, and the very idea of telling a lie had never entered the minds of the angels. So the angels didn’t grasp all that lay behind Lucifer’s deceptions. So we see what Satan wanted from the start and what had come into his heart.
Isaiah 14:12-13
12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:’

But Christ is the true morning star as we see in Revelation:
Revelation 22:16
I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

Now the place that Lucifer wants it to be at 'the mount of the congregation' in the 'north' which is God's throne..
We find the same in Psalm 48:1-2:
Psalm 48:1-2
1 Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised in the city of our God, in the mountain of his holiness.
2 Beautiful for situation, the joy of the whole earth, is mount Zion, on the sides of the north, the city of the great King.

If God had destroyed Satan immediately, the angels would have begun to serve Him from fear rather than from love. This would have defeated the very purpose He had in creating beings with the power of choice in the first place. God gave Satan a chance to demonstrate his system which he wanted to bring in to replace that of God. That’s why Satan was given an opportunity to show it to the worlds, and to Adam and Eve who allowed the deception here. So our world become the testing ground where Satan and his character and the nature of the kingdom he wants, are contrasted with the character of God and the nature of His kingdom. So who we choose is important and Satan will throw a curveball at us at the end.

We know that Satan can transform himself to a 'angel of light' and will show himself at the end claiming worship that belongs to God and wanting to be God. He did it in heaven and deceived a third of the angels and they followed him.
Revelation 12:3-4
3 And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads.
4 And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.

And Satan will do it again at the end. But we know how it ends.
It comes down to free will.

Then you reap what you Sow is the next deal !

So this world is full of deceptions and delusions ! if you understand Christ Jesus you will understand the issue.

If one does not understand the Issue in Christ Jesus, they you are like a Dog that chases it's own tail or barking at the moon !

Their is a great divide between this world and as is done in Heaven.

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really? Is that how it is with God concerning you?
Yes…. it is written…

John 14:15
If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Proverbs 16:20
God blesses those who obey him; happy the man who puts his trust in the Lord.

God is not a slave to your errors, nor is He punk.. He will watch over you if you obey him.
If you don’t…

Proverbs 1
If you turn at my reproof, behold, I will pour out my spirit to you; I will make my words known to you. Because I have called and you refused to listen, have stretched out my hand and no one has heeded, because you have ignored all my counsel and would have none of my reproof, I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when terror strikes you, when terror strikes you like a storm and your calamity comes like a whirlwind, when distress and anguish come upon you. ...

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Funny looking verb . . . ? ? ?

(1Ch 21:1) Now Satan stood up against Israel, and moved David to number Israel.
(Job 1:6) Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came among them.
(Job 1:7) And the LORD said to Satan, "From where do you come?" So Satan answered the LORD and said, "From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking back and forth on it."
(Job 1:8) Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered My servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, one who fears God and shuns evil?"
(Job 1:9) So Satan answered the LORD and said, "Does Job fear God for nothing?
(Job 1:12) And the LORD said to Satan, "Behold, all that he has is in your power; only do not lay a hand on his person." So Satan went out from the presence of the LORD.
(Job 2:1) Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the LORD.
(Job 2:2) And the LORD said to Satan, "From where do you come?" Satan answered the LORD and said, "From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking back and forth on it."
(Job 2:3) Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered My servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, one who fears God and shuns evil? And still he holds fast to his integrity, although you incited Me against him, to destroy him without cause."
(Job 2:4) So Satan answered the LORD and said, "Skin for skin! Yes, all that a man has he will give for his life.
(Job 2:6) And the LORD said to Satan, "Behold, he is in your hand, but spare his life."
(Job 2:7) So Satan went out from the presence of the LORD, and struck Job with painful boils from the sole of his foot to the crown of his head.
(Zec 3:1) Then he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the Angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to oppose him.
(Zec 3:2) And the LORD said to Satan, "The LORD rebuke you, Satan! The LORD who has chosen Jerusalem rebuke you! Is this not a brand plucked from the fire?"
(Mat 4:10) Then Jesus said to him, "Away with you, Satan! For it is written, 'YOU SHALL WORSHIP THE LORD YOUR GOD, AND HIM ONLY YOU SHALL SERVE.' "
(Mat 12:26) If Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then will his kingdom stand?
(Mat 16:23) But He turned and said to Peter, "Get behind Me, Satan! You are an offense to Me, for you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men."
(Mar 1:13) And He was there in the wilderness forty days, tempted by Satan, and was with the wild beasts; and the angels ministered to Him.
(Mar 3:23) So He called them to Himself and said to them in parables: "How can Satan cast out Satan?
(Mar 3:26) And if Satan has risen up against himself, and is divided, he cannot stand, but has an end.
(Mar 4:15) And these are the ones by the wayside where the word is sown. When they hear, Satan comes immediately and takes away the word that was sown in their hearts.
(Mar 8:33) But when He had turned around and looked at His disciples, He rebuked Peter, saying, "Get behind Me, Satan! For you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men."
(Luk 4:8) And Jesus answered and said to him, "Get behind Me, Satan! For it is written, 'YOU SHALL WORSHIP THE LORD YOUR GOD, AND HIM ONLY YOU SHALL SERVE.' "
(Luk 10:18) And He said to them, "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven.
(Luk 11:18) If Satan also is divided against himself, how will his kingdom stand? Because you say I cast out demons by Beelzebub.
(Luk 13:16) So ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan has bound—think of it—for eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the Sabbath?"
(Luk 22:3) Then Satan entered Judas, surnamed Iscariot, who was numbered among the twelve.
(Luk 22:31) And the Lord said, "Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat.
(Joh 13:27) Now after the piece of bread, Satan entered him. Then Jesus said to him, "What you do, do quickly."
(Act 5:3) But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself?
(Act 26:18) to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.'
(Rom 16:20) And the God of peace will crush Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.
(1Co 5:5) deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
(1Co 7:5) Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.
(2Co 2:11) lest Satan should take advantage of us; for we are not ignorant of his devices.
(2Co 11:14) And no wonder! For Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light.
(2Co 12:7) And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure.
(1Th 2:18) Therefore we wanted to come to you—even I, Paul, time and again—but Satan hindered us.
(2Th 2:9) The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders,
(1Ti 1:20) of whom are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I delivered to Satan that they may learn not to blaspheme.
(1Ti 5:15) For some have already turned aside after Satan.
(Rev 2:9) "I know your works, tribulation, and poverty (but you are rich); and I know the blasphemy of those who say they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan.
(Rev 2:13) "I know your works, and where you dwell, where Satan's throne is. And you hold fast to My name, and did not deny My faith even in the days in which Antipas was My faithful martyr, who was killed among you, where Satan dwells.
(Rev 2:24) "Now to you I say, and to the rest in Thyatira, as many as do not have this doctrine, who have not known the depths of Satan, as they say, I will put on you no other burden.
(Rev 3:9) Indeed I will make those of the synagogue of Satan, who say they are Jews and are not, but lie—indeed I will make them come and worship before your feet, and to know that I have loved you.
(Rev 12:9) So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
(Rev 20:2) He laid hold of the dragon, that serpent of old, who is the Devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years;
(Rev 20:7) Now when the thousand years have expired, Satan will be released from his prison
Try again in Hebrew.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you see in the Hebrew?
Satan in Hebrew is a verb meaning "to oppose/stop/restrain"

It doesn't exist in the Torah except for what the Angel of the Lord did to Balaam's donkey....that's the only place it's used.

You really can't make a nominative word out of a verb in Hebrew. Especially if it is a derogatory word. Hebrew is a metaphoric language to begin with. Royal Hebrew has no bad words or terms to begin with.

Euphemisms are used for every bad title or term like prostitute, thief, murderer, homosexual and etc.

So the name "Satan" is actually a literal translation of the verb....and it's not a name.
English construction is not the same as Hebrew. Trying to force English/Western ideals into Ancient Near Eastern Literature is never going to work.

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Satan in Hebrew is a verb meaning "to oppose/stop/restrain"

It doesn't exist in the Torah except for what the Angel of the Lord did to Balaam's donkey....that's the only place it's used.

You really can't make a nominative word out of a verb in Hebrew. Especially if it is a derogatory word. Hebrew is a metaphoric language to begin with. Royal Hebrew has no bad words or terms to begin with.

Euphemisms are used for every bad title or term like prostitute, thief, murderer, homosexual and etc.

So the name "Satan" is actually a literal translation of the verb....and it's not a name.
English construction is not the same as Hebrew. Trying to force English/Western ideals into Ancient Near Eastern Literature is never going to work.
I get your point… But Satan is commonly rendered as a masculine noun..

Original Word: שָׂטָן
Part of Speech: Noun Masculine
Transliteration: satan
Phonetic Spelling: (saw-tawn')
Definition: adversary, also the name of the superhuman adversary of God

But that really doesn’t matter because we have scripture identifying Satan..

Revelation 12:9
9And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan

Revelation 20:2
2And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan,

So we see Satan is the devil the dragon and the old serpent.. all masculine nouns representing a person or entity.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get your point… But Satan is commonly rendered as a masculine noun..

Original Word: שָׂטָן
Part of Speech: Noun Masculine
Transliteration: satan
Phonetic Spelling: (saw-tawn')
Definition: adversary, also the name of the superhuman adversary of God

But that really doesn’t matter because we have scripture identifying Satan..

Revelation 12:9
9And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan

Revelation 20:2
2And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan,

So we see Satan is the devil the dragon and the old serpent.. all masculine nouns representing a person or entity.
Just so you understand....
Early Latin (often mistaken for Greek) is not Hebrew. And is quite different in construction from Hebrew. Also around 1,500 years had passed since Moses penned the Torah and John wrote his "Apocalypse".

I suggest that you study the syncreticsm that occurred between Judaism and Zoarastrianism during the Persian Empire. (Anthropology is a multi faceted study)
It's really a fascinating study.
Maybe look at some anthropomorphisms in literature.
But then we could have a good conversation.

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just so you understand....
Early Latin (often mistaken for Greek) is not Hebrew. And is quite different in construction from Hebrew. Also around 1,500 years had passed since Moses penned the Torah and John wrote his "Apocalypse".

I suggest that you study the syncreticsm that occurred between Judaism and Zoarastrianism during the Persian Empire. (Anthropology is a multi faceted study)
It's really a fascinating study.
Maybe look at some anthropomorphisms in literature.
But then we could have a good conversation.
For sure… I have not done much research in the fields you provided… however, at ground level, we are to lean on scripture first.

Luke 10:18
And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven

Who or what is “Satan” in the above scripture?

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Did Jesus (God) be lead by the Father God into temptation? NO
Was Jesus (the Son of God) led by the Spirit of God into temptation?

You said, NO.

Mark 1:9 It came to pass in those days that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee, and was baptized by John in the Jordan. 10 And immediately, coming up from the water, He saw the heavens parting and the Spirit descending upon Him like a dove. 11 Then a voice came from heaven, “You are My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”
12 Immediately the Spirit drove Him into the wilderness. 13 And He was there in the wilderness forty days, tempted by Satan, and was with the wild beasts.

Luke 4:1 Then Jesus, being filled with the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, 2 being tempted for forty days by the devil.

Matthew 3:16 When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him. 17 And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”
4:1 Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.

John 1:32 And John bore witness, saying, “I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and He remained upon Him. 33 I did not know Him, but He who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘Upon whom you see the Spirit descending, and remaining on Him, this is He who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’ 34 And I have seen and testified that this is the Son of God.”

Again I'd ask, was Jesus (the Son of God) led by the Spirit of God into temptation?

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why didn't God destroy Satan at the beginning?

Satan “IS” a spirit.
“That which “IS” spirit “CAN NOT” be “destroyed”.

Does God “HAVE” the power to destroy Satan? Absolutely.

WILL God “DESTROY” Satan? No.

Why Not? “IF” God were to DESTROY Satan, it would “MAKE” God a “LIAR”.

God IS “NOT a LIAR”.
Thus by Gods OWN degree, He can NOT LIE.

That which “IS” Spirit…
IE…
The Lord God Almighty, Angels (holy or fallen), a mans born again spirit……
CAN NEVER BE DESTROYED, (is IMMORTAL), can NEVER DIE or CEASE TO EXIST.

Glory to God,
Taken