Why do so many oppose imputed righteousness?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For 1 John 3:7 shows plainly that righteousness is not only imputed.

Here, I will quote it again:

1Jo 3:7, Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

The verse shows clearly that we can be righteous, even as Jesus Christ is righteous; and that this is a righteousness that we do.

This might be in contrast to an imputed righteousness only; in which God merely looks at us with rose-colored glasses and counts us as righteous even when we are not.

I believe that He does indeed do this; but that, again, in the declaration, God calls those things which be not as though they are, thus creating a new reality (Romans 4:17, Hebrews 6:18, Titus 1:2). The person who was previously ungodly is declared to be righteous; and in the declaration made to be righteous (Romans 5:19) as a gift (Romans 5:17).

In imputation, I am given a new identity in Christ that cannot be shaken even if I blow it (Romans 4:5). In impartation, I begin to live like my new identity is the reality (1 John 3:7).

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here are some scriptures for the reader to consider:

1Ti 6:3, If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
1Ti 6:4, He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,
1Ti 6:5, Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

Tit 1:1, Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;

I contend that my own view is the doctrine and truth which is after godliness; while the opposing view allows for unrighteousness in the life of the "believer" who is in that doctrine allowed to live an unrighteous and unholy life while no repentance is present in that "believer's" life.

In what I am preaching, there is indeed a covering for sin in that God imputes righteousness to us. But also in what I am preaching, the Lord does not leave the believer in an unrighteous state when He declares that believer righteous: He imparts righteousness/godliness to the believer when he is born again of the Holy Spirit. The Lord makes him into a new creature in Christ: the old has gone; behold, all things are become new! (2 Corinthians 5:17). The old is the old life lived as an unbeliever: the new is the life of righteousness that the believer will begin as one who is regenerated and renewed by the Holy Ghost (Titus 3:5).

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand, also, that false teaching has its appeal to those who are not yet born again. It is written,

1Jo 4:5, They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them.
1Jo 4:6, We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

Therefore, if you know that you are not born again (i.e. still a sinner), and are inclined to believe @Stranger rather than what I am faithfully preaching here; just know that it is because you are of the world and that therefore you hear preaching that is of the world rather than the preaching that is of the Lord.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 5:6 and Romans 5:19 are significant in that they speak of a righteousness that is imparted, in contrast to a righteousness that is imputed only. (1 John 3:7 also).

Last edited: