Why Do We Sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great question! I think the traditional denominations are anal about this sort of thing. I once listened to a sermon where the pastor stated that just because Jesus was sinless does not mean he did everything perfectly, such as always cutting the proper angle of wood as a carpenter. I relate to a human Jesus and I never relate more to him more than when he angrily overthrew tables at the temple.

To your point, sin is non-transferrable. This applies to you, me and Jesus. The capacity to sin is human. This potential need not be realized at every turn. You and I do not realize this capacity every chance we get. Sometimes you and I get it right. Of course, it is those other times that we need help.

I believe most of the times I sin, it is driven by ego. The most basic human ego is depicted in the fall, the desire to be God. This translation opened my eyes to this basic human desire to be God.

When all of the other gods
have come together,
the LORD God judges them

Psalm 82:1 (CEV)

Okay, but then if you're saying that sin is a part of human nature that's sort of like saying that Jesus wasn't human and He was human just as much as He is and was God. However, I do agree with what you said on the part about how it's possible to make mistakes without sinning and in that sense I always believed that Jesus made those kinds of errors and had "brain farts" as a human being like we all do lol I also always wondered if He always knew right from wrong from an infant and small child,.. because when you don't know any better I don't really consider that sinning if you haven't been taught that it's wrong yet.

Reactions: Wrangler

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, but then if you're saying that sin is a part of human nature that's sort of like saying that Jesus wasn't human and He was human just as much as He is and was God.

Well, putting aside that I reject trinitarianism (and am a unitarian), I am differentiating between the <capacity to sin> from <the act or choice to sin>.

There is an episode of Star Trek The Next Generation where Data played a game with a master. Although Data, an android, did not make a mistake, he still lost the game. I am reminded of how Moses talked God out of a course of action on 2 occasions, I believe. Not that either of God's choice were wrong or some kind of sin, but one was better than the other - as evidence by the choice God ended up making.

Data employed a new strategy in his rematch with the master. Rather than pursue avenues to advance his position, he sought a tie. This so frustrated the champion player that he eventually game up. Game over.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So then you don't believe Jesus is the Son of God?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So then you don't believe Jesus is the Son of God?

I certainly do believe Jesus is the Son of God. The Bible says this repeatedly. Hunter is the Son of Joe (Biden). This does not make Hunter Joe.

May God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ give you grace and peace.
Philippians 1:2 (NLT)

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So there's some debate whether or not Jesus could sin and just chose not to or if He was incapable of sinning. I personally believe that He was capable of sinning and just chose not to for two reasons. One,.. if He couldn't sin then why would Satan even bother with trying to tempt Him in the first place and two,.. if He was incapable of sin then I don't think it would have worked for Him being the perfect sacrifice for our sins.

Anyways, so now that I've covered why I think Jesus didn't sin,.. why do we sin? Could we choose to never sin if we really wanted to or is it because that it's in our blood due to the original sin? If the latter part is true how was Jesus born without it when (even though I already know that the Catholics will disagree with me on this but it's not biblical and Mary could have just easily died on the cross for our sins then) Mary was a sinner herself?
One could expand on your question and ask, why did sin originate in the first place?....my view is, if a reason could be found then an excuse could also be found but as there is no reason there is also no excuse.

So now we ask the question, why do you and I sin?....I would say because we have inherited a brokenness....a natural self centred reality. We have inherited the breakdown in every aspect of our reality which God told the first pair would happen, resulting in the cessation of the life God gave them ie, death.

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One could expand on your question and ask, why did sin originate in the first place?....my view is, if a reason could be found then an excuse could also be found but as there is no reason there is also no excuse.

So now we ask the question, why do you and I sin?....I would say because we have inherited a brokenness....a natural self centred reality. We have inherited the breakdown in every aspect of our reality which God told the first pair would happen, resulting in the cessation of the life God gave them ie, death.

Hi quite thinker, could you expound on this a little more if you don't mind. I find it interesting and curious.

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm happy to share. What is it specifically that you would like unravelled?

It was the wording like 'inherited brokeness, natural self centered reality, inherited the breakdown. The words got my attention.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It was the wording like 'inherited brokeness, natural self centered reality, inherited the breakdown. The words got my attention.
When our first parents believed Satans lie and acted on it they set themselves against God. It set a train of events in motion they would never have imagined. It started with the loss of the covering of light and that of self accusation/consciousness ....the result of guilt. A pathetic attempt to cover their shame resulting from guilt had them stitch leaves together to hide from themselves and God.

God went looking for them...they did not go looking for God. 'Where are you'? God called, 'who told you you were naked'? ....both these questions significant.

Their reality ie, how they saw themselves and God became distorted/unhinged....their actions became congruent with how they saw ie, broken....do, do, do was now they MO rather than be, be, be. Their MO was now doing to get as opposed to being to become (these are loaded statements).....and in the process diminishment of the whole order under their control. Within a few years the first murder had taken place. The logic of fallen man had deceived him....he rationalised diminishing the other was a solution when in truth it compounded his own guilt pushing him further down the path of hiding, denial and destruction.....not only of the other but of himself and all in his circle of influence.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I still wonder how Jesus didn't inherit Mary's sin because regardless of how He got inside her womb she was still His mother.

Jehovah was his Father, if either Adam or Eve would have remained faithful, then perfection could be passed on, however both were tarnished, therefore passing on only sin and death.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jehovah was his Father, if either Adam or Eve would have remained faithful, then perfection could be passed on, however both were tarnished, therefore passing on only sin and death.

Robert is right, if you remember in the scriptures it tells us that it's the sin of Adam why we are born in sin.

Reactions: April_Rose

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Robert is right, if you remember in the scriptures it tells us that it's the sin of Adam why we are born in sin.

Okay but why not also the sin of Eve when she was just as guilty and wasn't she the one who told Adam to disobey God in the first place?

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually John, in his gospel at John 1:14 said that the Word became flesh. He didn't say the Word became flesh and God. The plain simple fact is that a person has to believe that the Only-Begotten Son of God is the Word that came as human in nature just as the first man Adam was human in nature. Jesus Christ who is the Only Begotten Son of God if he were a God-Man he would be more than human in nature when he came to the world of mankind. The first perfect sinless human Adam, wasn't created a person who was both human and of divine nature, so believing the Only Begotten Son of God came as both human and divine nature is denying that he came in the likeness of the first man Adam.
If someone believes the Word is God, then they are saying that it was God who became human and denies that it was the Only Begotten Son of God who became human. You reject that the Word is the Only-begotten Son of God and You reject that the Only-Begotten Son of God came to the world of mankind in the likeness of the first perfect sinless human, Adam, if you believe the Word is God instead of the Only Begotten Son of God.You also reject that the Only-Begotten Son of God sacrificed his perfect sinless human body, his perfect sinless human life. You also reject that it was the Only Begotten Son of God who was resurrected a life giving spirit who was given immortality and inherited incorruption.

Do you always strain at gnats? He didn't have to become god for He was God! So He had to b ecome flesh for He wasn't flesh!

Everything else you wrote is just vain useless philosophizing based on human reason!

JOhn 1:1 says Jesus is God and was with god! It is just sad you trust an organization that has had to rewrite that verse, and then philosophize away a simple truth!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because Jesus was born from the seed of the Father, He lived the same kind of life that He provides for His followers who are born of the same seed. 1 John 3:9 Jesus was the first of many brethren, Romans 8:29-30. So we have no excuse if we continue to sin once born again. We cannot say our old sin nature made me do it. We have been given power over the old man. The more you walk in the Spirit and practice righteousness, the more righteousness becomes a permanent way of life.

@April_Rose

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So there's some debate whether or not Jesus could sin and just chose not to or if He was incapable of sinning. I personally believe that He was capable of sinning and just chose not to for two reasons. One,.. if He couldn't sin then why would Satan even bother with trying to tempt Him in the first place and two,.. if He was incapable of sin then I don't think it would have worked for Him being the perfect sacrifice for our sins.

Disagree.

John 14
10] Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me?

Heb 13
[8] Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Anyways, so now that I've covered why I think Jesus didn't sin,.. why do we sin?

I don't Sin.

Could we choose to never sin if we really wanted to

No. We can choose To BE in God and God in us, and BE kept from Sinning, by His Power in us.

If the latter part is true how was Jesus born without it (original sin)?

Original Sin, corrupted mankind's Seed.
Mankind reproduces man kinds of things from mankinds corrupt seed.

A corrupt seed births a corrupt thing.

No corrupt male or female human seeds had anything whatsoever to do with Jesus.

Jesus IS Gods Word.
Gods Word came forth out from Gods mouth.
Gods Word was Supernaturally sent to Mary's Womb, by the Power of God.
The Holy thing, in Mary's Womb was Gods Word.
God Prepared a Body for His Word, for When it was Sent into the World.
The Body God prepared, was in the form and fashion (as an Earthly mankind of thing).
When the Holy thing came forth out from Mary...(after 9 months, according to the law of Nature)...
Everyone said, awe look a baby boy.
(no one said...look an angel, or look a puppy, or look it's God...)

The Word of God IS God, just like your word is you.

God Bless,
Taken

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay but why not also the sin of Eve when she was just as guilty and wasn't she the one who told Adam to disobey God in the first place?

The sin of Adam was different from the sin of Eve. Eve was deceived Adam wasn't deceived. Adam knowingly and willfully sinned.
As the account reveals, improper desire began to work in Eve. Instead of reacting in utter disgust and righteous indignation on hearing the righteousness of God’s law called into question by the serpent, she now came to look upon the tree as desirable. She coveted what rightly belonged to Jehovah God as her Sovereign, which was his ability and prerogative to determine what is good and what is bad for his creatures. So, she was now starting to conform herself to the ways, standards, and will of the opposer, who contradicted her Creator as well as her God-appointed head, her husband. (1Co 11:3) Putting trust in the Tempter’s words, she let herself be seduced, ate of the fruit, and thus revealed the sin that had been born in her heart and mind.—Ge 3:6; 2Co 11:3; compare Jas 1:14, 15; Mt 5:27, 28.

Adam later partook of the fruit when it was offered to him by his wife. The scriptures shows that the man’s sinning differed from that of his wife in that Adam was not deceived by the Tempter’s propaganda, hence he put no stock in the claim that eating the fruit from the tree could be done with impunity. (1Ti 2:14) Adam’s eating, therefore, must have been due to desire for his wife, and he ‘listened to her voice’ rather than to that of his God. (Ge 3:6, 17) He thus conformed to her ways and will, and through her, to those of God’s Adversary. He therefore ‘missed the mark,’ failed to act in God’s image and likeness, did not reflect God’s glory, and, in fact, insulted his heavenly Father.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you always strain at gnats? He didn't have to become god for He was God! So He had to b ecome flesh for He wasn't flesh!

Everything else you wrote is just vain useless philosophizing based on human reason!

JOhn 1:1 says Jesus is God and was with god! It is just sad you trust an organization that has had to rewrite that verse, and then philosophize away a simple truth!

First of all this verse in John 1:1 was originally written in Greek. So the first time the word, "Theos(God)" is used in that Scripture the word, "the" comes before it, showing that the Word was with the God, so the first part of John 1:1 "In the beginning was the word, and the Word was with the God." So if anyone is saying that God is the Word then that first part of John1:1 they're contradicting it. When it comes to the last part of that scripture at John 1:1 it isn't contradicting the first part that says the Word was with the God but is saying that the Word is a God or divine or god-like. People, humans contradict Scripture by their interpretations which they would be doing of that first part of John 1:1 if they interpreted that the Word was God.

Last edited: