Why do you believe in Jesus?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

brian100

Jul 5, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it to make it to heaven? Live forever.. but without someone to love you its not heaven.
To be with Father, Mother, Brother, Sister? Again that special love is missing.

To be with your True Love wife? Now I can go for that reason.

Kaneda

Sep 15, 2020
Pincher Creek
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Egypt
Well, I think he was a real person that lived and was a descendant of the house of David and was supposed to be promised the rightful title of “King of Israel” but was disillusioned and disheartened with Judaism, started with own religion, with the only kingdom actually in his position that was left was this esoteric and unworldly imagining of a supernatural kingdom in heaven.

I believe e that he felt he has attained some state of transcend and enlightenment, and was unfortunately martyred.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I think he was a real person that lived and was a descendant of the house of David and was supposed to be promised the rightful title of “King of Israel” but was disillusioned and disheartened with Judaism, started with own religion, with the only kingdom actually in his position that was left was this esoteric and unworldly imagining of a supernatural kingdom in heaven.

I believe e that he felt he has attained some state of transcend and enlightenment, and was unfortunately martyred.
Our friend brian100 has been missing for a couple of months. I wouldn't expect him to reply...

Why would you believe these things about Jesus? From what you have heard from people? From what you have read in other books? From what you have read in the gospel accounts?

Reactions: Pearl

Kaneda

Sep 15, 2020
Pincher Creek
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Egypt
Our friend brian100 has been missing for a couple of months. I wouldn't expect him to reply...

Why would you believe these things about Jesus? From what you have heard from people? From what you have read in other books? From what you have read in the gospel accounts?
He was supposedly a descendant of David from Israel, and then he supposedly fulfilled other mandates for being considered the messiah from the Hebrew bible, but was generally disregarded by the Pharisees/Jews at the time, wth?

Ugh, I still think Jesus was a flesh and bone human without earthly “powers” I do not think that he was literally a “God” in his earthly form, which would be somewhat of a contradiction of the bible, since that would be considered a false idol, or deity. It’s kind of silly to me as well that Christianity literally worships a Jewish man when there are plenty of other Jewish men still alive out there. I do not think that somehow since Jesus was crucified we have achieved world peace, and since generally Jesus was Jewish and the belief of his status as being a messiah and literally the bible originates from the Hebrew bible, that there was supposed to be perhaps more biblical successors to Jesus, and all of this was mostly centred around Israel, but this is totally different from the Christian bible. I find it strange sometimes that we literally worship a would be Jewish man from a Jewish dynasty, meant to bring salvation to Jewish people.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He was supposedly a descendant of David from Israel, and then he supposedly fulfilled other mandates for being considered the messiah from the Hebrew bible, but was generally disregarded by the Pharisees/Jews at the time, wth?

Ugh, I still think Jesus was a flesh and bone human without earthly “powers” I do not think that he was literally a “God” in his earthly form, which would be somewhat of a contradiction of the bible, since that would be considered a false idol, or deity.
You really answered none of my questions. Any of us can have an opinion about something that happened, [if it did happen] about 2,000 years ago. Some people, including myself, have faith that it did. From where comes this faith and what is it? Very simply the Bible answers the last part of my question if you can understand it or believe it:

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Heb 11:1

In other words believe in something without having the evidence of what your eyes have seen, but something for which somehow you have hope in its existence. On the other part, the Bible also has an answer as to where from this faith comes...:

"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." Rom 10:17

This "hearing" as you might guess from the context is speaking of the natural ability of a man to perceive sounds caused by vibrations such as what comes out of men's mouth, which we call speech. It is a special hearing, which comes by the Word of God. But what is the Word of God? Many people in churches and on this forum will tell you it is the written words in the Bible. You are one of the reasons I disagree with that.

Reactions: 4HizGlory37

Kaneda

Sep 15, 2020
Pincher Creek
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Egypt
You really answered none of my questions. Any of us can have an opinion about something that happened, [if it did happen] about 2,000 years ago. Some people, including myself, have faith that it did. From where comes this faith and what is it? Very simply the Bible answers the last part of my question if you can understand it or believe it:

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Heb 11:1

In other words believe in something without having the evidence of what your eyes have seen, but something for which somehow you have hope in its existence. On the other part, the Bible also has an answer as to where from this faith comes...:

"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." Rom 10:17

This "hearing" as you might guess from the context is speaking of the natural ability of a man to perceive sounds caused by vibrations such as what comes out of men's mouth, which we call speech. It is a special hearing, which comes by the Word of God. But what is the Word of God? Many people in churches and on this forum will tell you it is the written words in the Bible. You are one of the reasons I disagree with that.
He was a Jewish man from the Middle East lol.

I guess I have faith in the accounts of him being a Jewish middle eastern man, thus is a core aspect of the bible I believe, it is pretty common wisdom and generally undisputed as fact. He was not literally a God/deity as that goes against the monotheistic God believed in the bible.

Thus thus could potentially conflict with the idea of Jesus literally being a God. Believing that instead he was the personification of this monotheistic God in person is another topic I guess.

“if the historical Jesus actually went around saying that he was God, it's very hard to believe that Matthew, Mark and Luke left out that part — you know, as if that part wasn't important to mention. But in fact, they don't mention it. And so this view of the divinity of Jesus on his own lips is found only in our latest Gospel, the Gospel of John."

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I guess I have faith in the accounts of him being a Jewish middle eastern man, thus is a core aspect of the bible I believe, it is pretty common wisdom and generally undisputed as fact. He was not literally a God/deity as that goes against the monotheistic God believed in the bible.

Thus thus could potentially conflict with the idea of Jesus literally being a God. Believing that instead he was the personification of this monotheistic God in person is another topic I guess.
Not to deride your usage but people too often, I believe, speak of fact when they are referring to something they really only believe without having anything concrete on which to base an idea or event like their own personal eye witness. Who or what else do you trust? For 2,000 years ago or even for 5 years ago, how much do we really know? From what people say on this forum about news sources, who is to be believed even today about what we would call current events in the news media? As we go back in time, are things likely to be more reliable?

For 2,000 years ago, we are speaking of his story, which man now calls history! I speak of his story because it can be very unreliable. People of faith in God of the Christian sort as you can see by the threads on this forum have differing, even opposing beliefs about the story of Jesus and the purposes of God. How can we know what the Truth is? I know why I believe what I believe, but me telling you my testimony would not help you unless God was in it and your heart was open. You heart being open is not quite the same as your mind being open, but there is certainly a resemblance!

Kaneda

Sep 15, 2020
Pincher Creek
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Egypt
Not to deride your usage but people too often, I believe, speak of fact when they are referring to something they really only believe without having anything concrete on which to base an idea or event like their own personal eye witness. Who or what else do you trust? For 2,000 years ago or even for 5 years ago, how much do we really know? From what people say on this forum about news sources, who is to be believed even today about what we would call current events in the news media? As we go back in time, are things likely to be more reliable?

For 2,000 years ago, we are speaking of his story, which man now calls history! I speak of his story because it can be very unreliable. People of faith in God of the Christian sort as you can see by the threads on this forum have differing, even opposing beliefs about the story of Jesus and the purposes of God. How can we know what the Truth is? I know why I believe what I believe, but me telling you my testimony would not help you unless God was in it and your heart was open. You heart being open is not quite the same as your mind being open, but there is certainly a resemblance!
It says in the bible that Jesus was Jewish man born in Bethlehem and lived in Nazarene. You can faith in god and still believe in the laws of physics and gravity, sorry.

Moses parted the “the Red Sea” what does that mean, lol.

THE RED SEA.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It says in the bible that Jesus was Jewish man born in Bethlehem and lived in Nazarene. You can faith in god and still believe in the laws of physics and gravity, sorry.

Moses parted the “the Red Sea” what does that mean, lol.

THE RED SEA.
You believe in the laws of physics and gravity? Then you may also be familiar with what is called the scientific method, which is based on certain presumptions, is it not? For example, some things are measurable as men are able to measure and perceive the measurements according to their five physical senses. How do we measure things if not by sight and touch or in the case of dolphins and such critters by hearing? I don't think most people can measure the size of something by taste or by smell although perhaps an animal with a much more sensitive sense of smell might be able. If we were in a world of only two people, you and me, and both of us were deaf and blind would your sense of touch be equal to mine in every respect? What kind of laws of physics could we derive? I wonder... and so forth...

As to the Red Sea, Moses did not part the Red Sea. God did that. Moses was the leader of the people, but Moses was also being led...
If he were not all of those people leaving Egypt would have been in trouble.

"O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps." Jerem 10:23

As to what the sea being parted by God meant... to us? It means that God is opening a Way for men to escape from the bondage. Then having escaped another Way must also be opened... and so we see when Joshua is leading the children plus Caleb into the Promised Land. Do you now know what I am talking about?

Reactions: 4HizGlory37

Kaneda

Sep 15, 2020
Pincher Creek
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Egypt
You believe in the laws of physics and gravity? Then you may also be familiar with what is called the scientific method, which is based on certain presumptions, is it not? For example, some things are measurable as men are able to measure and perceive the measurements according to their five physical senses. How do we measure things if not by sight and touch or in the case of dolphins and such critters by hearing? I don't think most people can measure the size of something by taste or by smell although perhaps an animal with a much more sensitive sense of smell might be able. If we were in a world of only two people, you and me, and both of us were deaf and blind would your sense of touch be equal to mine in every respect? What kind of laws of physics could we derive? I wonder... and so forth...

As to the Red Sea, Moses did not part the Red Sea. God did that. Moses was the leader of the people, but Moses was also being led...
If he were not all of those people leaving Egypt would have been in trouble.

"O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps." Jerem 10:23

As to what the sea being parted by God meant... to us? It means that God is opening a Way for men to escape from the bondage. Then having escaped another Way must also be opened... and so we see when Joshua is leading the children plus Caleb into the Promised Land. Do you now know what I am talking about?
I do not know if I believe the interpretation or conception that god proceeds all things as it seems to denote that the physical world does not matter at all. It seems religious people are fine with supposedly condemning others for supposedly not believing in “God” enough somehow, and basically putting yourself in a position of superiority over that person. Thus religion becomes almost like everything else and is simply a besting competition to attempt and feign superiority or control others, thus exists in all facets of the bible.

I feel conflict because there is this inner turmoil between the notion of free-will and individuality. But like you said “freedom from bondage” there seems to be no such thing in the human world.

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To Answer the OP, -- Because I believe in GOD.

I only came to know GOD through History which was written before it had OCCURRED. -- I had owned my Bible before the historical event occurred, making it ~impossible~ for that History to have been Written, or so it seemed. So I concluded the only way History CAN BE WRITTEN before it occurs, ?is by GOD?, and later discovered that it's called "Bible Prophecy". Then I subsequently came to know Jesus.

And so GOD meets each of us in our own way, -- if we seek HIM.
Bobby Jo

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not know if I believe the interpretation or conception that god proceeds all things as it seems to denote that the physical world does not matter at all.
The physical world that men perceive does matter as that is where one is tested and where one grows [if he grows] or simply finally ceases to be even his life of death. We are stewards, caretakers, for whatever God has provided each of us. For our allotted time all the choices from among the possibilities are ours to make.

It seems religious people are fine with supposedly condemning others for supposedly not believing in “God” enough somehow, and basically putting yourself in a position of superiority over that person. Thus religion becomes almost like everything else and is simply a besting competition to attempt and feign superiority or control others, thus exists in all facets of the bible.
They should not be condemning, but very many of them do. There is no need to condemn as according to the scripture those who do not believe are condemned already.

"He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." John 3:18

What does being condemned already mean to someone like you? It means that you are now already 'dead' in the eyes of God to Him and His Way. Via Jesus God has provided the means to obtain Life, but most people satisfied with whatever they have or believe they can get from this carnal existence choose not to pursue that Life:

"The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." John 10:10

"Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it." Matt 7:13-14

People are very ignorant about God and the things of God. Among unbelievers this is to be expected, but it is also very true of too many people who claim to know and walk with God. Someone who really does know God recognizes that if he has something better it is not due to himself and he therefore should not being boasting, even in his attitude, when he speaks to an unbeliever. People who believe are spiritually like small children, or they are like adults, or they are somewhere in between according to their walk with God and their growth. [In other words they are comparable in the way of men in their flesh alone.]They are fallible and when they momentarily, or longer, lean on their own limited understanding instead of God, they may manifest some lies.

I feel conflict because there is this inner turmoil between the notion of free-will and individuality. But like you said “freedom from bondage” there seems to be no such thing in the human world.
We are all "bound" until we really are set free. A lot of Christians claim that they are free because they have had a good experience with God. They stop there. They are like most of the people that Moses led out of Egypt. They have been saved from their servitude under the Egyptians, but now they are in the wilderness and they are unable cope all alone. They have traded in one set of chains for another. Moses was there and God was there, but the murmured and rebelled continuous... until finally God cut them off. At the end of the trek, of the 600,000 men led out of Egypt, only 2 adults were allowed to enter into the Promised Land. All of the rest died in the wilderness.

4HizGlory37

Sep 17, 2020
Western United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

“if the historical Jesus actually went around saying that he was God, it's very hard to believe that Matthew, Mark and Luke left out that part — you know, as if that part wasn't important to mention. But in fact, they don't mention it. And so this view of the divinity of Jesus on his own lips is found only in our latest Gospel, the Gospel of John."

Hi Kaneda! I was wondering if you ever read the Bible once through? Maybe if you read the Bible, you might have a better understanding who Jesus was, what He stood for, and what He did. I was just wondering :) blessings!

Reactions: Bobby Jo

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do you believe in Jesus?
OP ^

Compelling question.

Personally, I can not remember not believing...

But, have to clarify;
My Mother Believed. I trusted my Mother, so I believe.

Growing, becoming an Adult, required more than, Mommy said so.
So my quest was to read and study the Bible for myself.
"That" was frustrating and disappointing.
So I set my Bible aside, and focused my attention on Learning HOW TO effectively Learn and Study.
(That may sound silly, but what I had learned in School, about Learning and Studying was a complete "ineffective" method).

After months, I was prepared to delve into my Bible with a whole new perspective.
I had the advantage of Time, and dedicated space, Materials, Bible(S), language dictionaries, to Daily read, study, for hours, for 5 years.

The Curiosity and Intrigue and Complexity ...
Began becoming a Clear Simplicity, of Answers to the very Basic Questions:
Of Who, What, When, Why, How.

So, to your Question:
Why do you Belive in Jesus?

Because: "I chose" to Trust In God, that God SENT "for me";
His Word, His Power, His Truth, His Life, His Wisdom, His Understanding, His Faithfulness.

And ... "my testimony is" Through the course of the days of my Natural Life...God has Never failed in His Own Word.

Glory to God,
Taken

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you mean by "your True Love wife"? :confused:
Brian100 had a special understanding of that phrase, which to many would seem very carnal indeed, but he did not consider it that way. I only explain this much because he is no longer a member of the forum to respond to your question.

Welcome to the forum!