Why Do You Go to Church

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mosheli

Jul 2, 2020
Wellington
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I haven't been to any church for ages. I tried a number of churches (Sallys Army, Baptist, Christian Fellowship, Blueprinter, Lifeswitch, AOG, CRC, Heretaunga Christian Centre, King's Arms (ex-Brethren), "Last Days Church", Hosanna Baptist, Hope International, etc) but I found they all just have the same block of singing followed by block of sermon followed by maybe a brief cup of fluoridated tea/coffee and chat followed by everyone goes home to their own lives/families/interests/jobs, which doesn't really qualify as "fellowship" to me. I don't like (standing and) singing either. I also find it hard getting out on set days and times especially early in (Sunday) morning (though some have services in the evening), plus I don't have a car and have to walk quite a long way. Plus the "city" & churches where I am is "mostly retired and families" while I am single in 40s. And I don't like the Sunday versus Saturday. Only SDAs have it on Saturday and I haven't yet been able to attened a local SDA one. Another thing I don't like is the speaking in fake gibberish "tongues". I also dislike how there are so many different denominations churches, even two or more in the same street or block/corner in a few instances here, which divides the "community". (A friend of mine also said how he doesn't like all this modern music in many churches too. My once christian-friend Ian said how when they got in trouble no one from their church cared or noticed or wondered abot them despite having attened the church for quite some time.)
A number of Churches also won't let us go to a home group unless we are a regular sunday attender first.
Also since I had a papist say that Rome sent out lots of Jesuits as fake pastors I find it hard to trust any pastors and christians.
Instead I try to go to small christian social groups like Christian Fellowship for Disabled, ACTS/SAS, Carabiners, etc. I think these qualify as fellowship since church is anywhere "where two or more are gathered in his name".
But covid has caused alot of closures. The JWs have their meetings on Zoom.
I do find it hard "going it alone" though and do agree that fellowship and 5 fold ministry are important, but I find that the Lord seems to want me to have faith in him and not seek human love/help/care/support anyway.
I understand that "church has to have some structure", but I think that church should try to be abit more social and interactive rather than just blocks of singing and sermon. Christian Fellowship for Disabled here did try to start doing some more interactive activities which was good, but I haven't been able to go for quite a long time now due to situation.

* Not that I don't believe in some gift called "tongues". But I think tongues is more like the interpreters we see on TV etc rather than just yabbering some unknown gibberish. Bible says if there is no interpretation then they should not speak them in public.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That all sounds very judgmental.
I don't think you'd like my church.

Probably not.

“am blessed. I am prosperous. I am successful.” “I am victorious. I am talented. I am creative.” “I am wise. I am healthy. I am in shape.” “I am energetic. I am happy. I am positive.” “I am passionate. I am strong. I am confident.” “I am secure. I am beautiful. I am attractive.” “I am valuable. I am free. I am redeemed.” “I am forgiven. I am anointed. I am accepted.” “I am approved. I am prepared. I am qualified.” “I am motivated. I am focused. I am disciplined.” “I am determined. I am patient. I am kind.” “I am generous. I am excellent. I am equipped.” “I am empowered. I am well able.” “I am a child of the Most High God.”

Lakewood Church.

I believe Churches are supposed to be A House of Prayer, Praise and Worship unto the Lord God Almighty.

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: Nancy and Mayflower

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I found they all just have the same block of singing followed by block of sermon followed by maybe a brief cup of fluoridated tea/coffee and chat followed by everyone goes home to their own lives/families/interests/jobs, which doesn't really qualify as "fellowship" to me.
Lol, that's why you need to find an 'open' fellowship church. But, you probably won't find one. You'll have to settle for a good, open discussion Bible study.

I understand that "church has to have some structure", but I think that church should try to be abit more social and interactive rather than just blocks of singing and sermon.
Oh, I see you are already familiar with the concept.

Reactions: Mayflower

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a prayer group at my house every Thursday morning and I go to a friends house on Thursday evenings for Bible study.
Does that qualify me?
Not ideal because it lacks the leadership roles of the church.
I think a group should be no smaller than 15 or 20 people. And be led by a called and gifted pastor/elder. And praise and worship and group prayer is a definite must.

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So this is for my friends here that have gone to church or currently go to church. Why do you go?
"And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:
Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is;
but exhorting one another:
and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching." Hebrews 10:24-25 NKJV

"And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
  • For the perfecting of the saints,
  • for the work of the ministry,
  • for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Till we all come
  • in the unity of the faith, and
  • of the knowledge of the Son of God,
  • unto a perfect man,
  • unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:..." Ephesians 4:11-13 NKJV

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I go to church because He (My Lord Jesus Christ) to do so. I can imagine other reason, but they don't get me to church. I mean I might go to church to meet other people, but I think I know enough people. I might go to church because it is expected, but now that I am older, I don't feel I need to go because it is expected by anyone other than my Lord, except on a possible rare occasion. I might go to church for some entertainment, but there is enough entertainment around. I might go to learn something, but I have so many things to learn that finding something to learn is not a problem. I might go for a wedding or some important event. Those things just don't come up that often though.

In fact, I would not go to church, if it was not for Him, except on rare occasions. Indeed, for most of my life I did not go to church. My parents took me when I was a child, but not by my choice. My wife for a time took the family to church, which of course I came along. It was probably good for the family, I thought. So, I went. Still, that only lasted a few short years. That all changed when He suddenly came into my life via His voice suddenly telling me, "Read Your Bible". I learn to seek Him and hear from Him, and He generally like me going to church, and even has had me involved in numerous things there. He even decides which church He wants me to go to. I'm glad He has decided to currently have me at a church just a mile or so away.

Therefore, why, where, when, and in what capacity is decided by Him. It is for reasons like the which results in me confession Jesus Christ as my Lord.

Reactions: Nancy and Mayflower

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't go to church. The last church I was part of was the Vineyard. It was my home for 3 years. Then I left.
The last time I attended church was in 2008. I was asked to take over the worship leader position. I was going to do it. Then one Sunday a pastor from a sister congregation came and preached the prosperity gospel. I couldn't, in good conscience, go back. I know better.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think that was a one-off.
It hasn't permeated all of The Vineyard.
I guess I didn't make myself clear. My bad. The Vineyard I went to was great. We did what Jesus wanted us to do. Everyone was welcome.
The church that I walked away from was independent. And they were very good to me. It's just that I can't stomach the prosperity thing. It's like I'm allergic to it. It's Jesus' church, not mine. He's Lord of the poor and the outcast...we are His hands.

Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess I didn't make myself clear. My bad. The Vineyard I went to was great. We did what Jesus wanted us to do. Everyone was welcome.
The church that I walked away from was independent. And they were very good to me. It's just that I can't stomach the prosperity thing. It's like I'm allergic to it. It's Jesus' church, not mine. He's Lord of the poor and the outcast...we are His hands.
Has God not chosen the poor of this world yet RICH IN FAITH . JESUS IS OUR TREASURE my friend . HE IS OUR RICHES .
Let the LORD be praised my friend .

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Has God not chosen the poor of this world yet RICH IN FAITH . JESUS IS OUR TREASURE my friend . HE IS OUR RICHES .
Let the LORD be praised my friend .
His strength is made perfect in weakness. Get those hands up and praise the Lord, my friend!
iu

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nancy! Where have you been? I have been missing you!:)
Aw, thanks H2S. Nice to be missed :) Too many things to write here, but I know God has it all and will always be there for me. Just not on the computer much anymore sister but, I think of and pray for you all.
xo

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God has it all and will always be there for me. Just not on the computer much anymore
This is where I'm at, too. Electronic fellowship has been good and beneficial for me all these years, in lieu of a brick and mortar church, but I sense it's time is coming to an end. I have two churches to attend in mind but I'm very hesitant and cautious to get involved in that again. I've been checking for God's direction so I don't end up regretting going back to church, again, like I have before. The last time being the final time, in my mind.

I just think there's really something very wrong with 'church' in America these days and I've dealt with the (false) guilt of not going to a physical church by realizing it's a very real problem and that it's not a new problem. I think the troubled days ahead are playing a part in what I think may be God drawing me back to face to face fellowship with believers again. But I'm not playing anymore of the church's games and I refuse to fellowship with lukewarm Christians who really don't have a spiritual life, and don't care to have one, and are just going to church because that's what they think they should do. Those kinds of Christians cause too much trouble in the church when you try to seek spiritual things while they have zero faith and desire to know and experience God beyond simply going to church and supporting the church's latest outreach.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is where I'm at, too. Electronic fellowship has been good and beneficial for me all these years, in lieu of a brick and mortar church, but I sense it's time is coming to an end. I have two churches to attend in mind but I'm very hesitant and cautious to get involved in that again. I've been checking for God's direction so I don't end up regretting going back to church, again, like I have before. The last time being the final time, in my mind.

I just think there's really something very wrong with 'church' in America these days and I've dealt with the (false) guilt of not going to a physical church by realizing it's a very real problem and that it's not a new problem. I think the troubled days ahead are playing a part in what I think may be God drawing me back to face to face fellowship with believers again. But I'm not playing anymore of the church's games and I refuse to fellowship with lukewarm Christians who really don't have a spiritual life, and don't care to have one, and are just going to church because that's what they think they should do. Those kinds of Christians cause too much trouble in the church when you try to seek spiritual things while they have zero faith and desire to know and experience God beyond simply going to church and supporting the church's latest outreach.

Everything you have said here Ferris, could have come verbatim from my own mouth (fingers, lol) The "last" church I attended was also the "last try...in my mind, lol. I CRAVE true fellowship with folks who will talk about Jesus, His Word, all day! Cannot find a single one like that so, I isolate pretty much which is NOT good, it's horrible actually BUT...I believe God has answered a prayer for me to have somewhere to go to put my hands and Christianity to work! This coming Thursday a place I volunteered at for 5 years will once again open to the public! it is a huge community center, 4 hot meals, 3 pantry days, clothes, coats, shoes and sundry of everything...we get many donations.
God is good :)
I do hope you will find a "good" church bro...I still pray to be led to one also, don't care if I have to drive some distance.