Why does God give faith to some but not everyone? (Ephesians 2:8)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here, I have to go with:

"And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil." John 3:19

and

4 "Now the Spirit [a]expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, 2 speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron,"
Tim. 4:1,2

After enough times rejecting Christ, their hearts become hardened to sin and are not repentant nor sorry for their deeds.
JMHO :)

Romans 12:23 states that ALL men are given a "measure" of faith to build upon.

"For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you."

I think the best and simplest explanation is that some people are the wheat and some are the tares.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Ephesians 2:8-9​

English Standard Version​

8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
Some seek and ask for it and others don't. He sees all. So according to His foreknowledge, He knows who will. Some scholars would argue against that. But I can't see it any other way. Foreknowledge is seeing things before they happen, knowing the person before they were born -- go figure. If it isn't that, what is it?
Foreknowledge is in the realm above our pay grade and beyond our comprehension. We just have to accept that God's ways are above ours.

Reactions: Nancy

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
Does God give us faith, or do we create our own?

Reactions: Lambano

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does God give us faith, or do we create our own?
saving faith as Jesus taught comes from man. man is responsible to believe in God.

Here is how some would rewrite Jesus words below and add to scripture things that were never said nor implied.

Parenthesis is Calvinism false assertion below

Luke 7:50
And he said to the woman, Thy faith ( I have given you )hath saved thee; go in peace.

Luke 8:48
"Daughter," said Jesus, "your faith ( I have given you )has healed you. Go in peace."

Luke 17:19
Then Jesus said to him, "Rise and go; your faith( I have given you ) has made you well!"

Luke 18:42
"Receive your sight!" Jesus replied. "Your faith( I have give you ) has healed you."

Matthew 8:10
When Jesus heard this, He marveled and said to those following Him, "Truly I tell you, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith.

Matthew 8:13
Then Jesus said to the centurion, "Go! As you have believed, so will it be done for you." And his servant was healed at that very hour.

Matthew 9:2
Just then some men brought to Him a paralytic lying on a mat. When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, "Take courage, son; your sins are forgiven.

Matthew 9:22
Jesus turned and saw her. "Take courage, daughter," He said, "your faith has healed you." And the woman was cured from that very hour.

Matthew 9:29
Then He touched their eyes and said, "According to your faith will it be done to you."

Matthew 15:28
"O woman," Jesus answered, "your faith is great! Let it be done for you as you desire." And her daughter was healed from that very hour.

Mark 5:34
"Daughter," said Jesus, "your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be free of your affliction."

Mark 10:52
"Go," said Jesus, "your faith has healed you." And immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus along the road.

John 4:53
So the father knew that it was at the same hour, in the which Jesus said unto him, Thy son liveth: and himself believed, and his whole house.

hope this helps !!!

Reactions: Nancy

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The gift of God in that verse is salvation, not faith. Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God (the Gospel).
Ephesians 2:8 - For it is by free grace (God’s unmerited favor) that you are saved (delivered from judgment and made partakers of Christ’s salvation) through [your] faith. And this [salvation] is not of yourselves [of your own doing, it came not through your own striving], but it is the gift of God. (AMPC)

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I think the best and simplest explanation is that some people are the wheat and some are the tares.
The wheat and tares could be those within the church. Because you can not tell them apart until they bare fruit. The fruit of wheat lays humble, is abundant, and is nourishing. But the fruit of the tare stands proud, causes drunkenness, and may even result in death. And so it is also with certain conduct in the church.

But there is a point to be made for predestination regardless of the parable. We can not know for certain what someone will be until the day they die. If someone ignores the gospel, they may still respond to it later. God may choose to open their eyes one day.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Romans 12:3
[3]For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

Faith isn't the Gift.

The gift is "Salvation".

Notice the verse explains that this Salvation that is the Gift, is given when we give God our faith.

"faith is counted as Righteousness".

So, the "GIFT"< isn't the faith.
The GIFT is..

1.) "The Gift of Righteousness""
2.) "The Gift of Salvation"..

This is actually Jesus Himself.

He's the Gift.