Why don't I own slowing down?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was wondering what it means to live well in regards to time.

I think about time a lot. It pushes forward whether we like it or not. Youtuber Cambria Joy in her latest video was talking about how we often try to justify the time we take to relax.

I get that. I feel like I have to earn my relaxation time by filling the majority of the time up with productive activity. And I'd often feel guilty, even though resting is healthy and biblical.

What if I stopped feeling guilty for not having a fast paced career? What if the mental illness that initially caused me to slow down actually helped me stumble onto a gold mine of healthy and intentional living?

A neighbor I met today said it best: Taking care of yourself and your home is a job in itself, especially if you are doing it right.

Maybe being stressed out and burdened to get the most done just isn't the way we're meant to function.

So in these seconds ticking by, how are we going to spend it? Is there room for spontaneous moments of joy?

Moments of digging your toes into the sand, breathing in your favorite smells, and thanking God for His creation.

What if I chose to embrace simple living on principle instead of apologizing for it? Why apologize when Im the happiest and healthiest I can possibly be? So what if some people are still loading crazy amounts of plans onto their plate? I won't be one of them. Why not own it and embrace it instead of wishing to be stressed out, negative, and run down like so many others in America?

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was wondering what it means to live well in regards to time.

I think about time a lot. It pushes forward whether we like it or not. Youtuber Cambria Joy in her latest video was talking about how we often try to justify the time we take to relax.

I get that. I feel like I have to earn my relaxation time by filling the majority of the time up with productive activity. And I'd often feel guilty, even though resting is healthy and biblical.

What if I stopped feeling guilty for not having a fast paced career? What if the mental illness that initially caused me to slow down actually helped me stumble onto a gold mine of healthy and intentional living?

A neighbor I met today said it best: Taking care of yourself and your home is a job in itself, especially if you are doing it right.

Maybe being stressed out and burdened to get the most done just isn't the way we're meant to function.

So in these seconds ticking by, how are we going to spend it? Is there room for spontaneous moments of joy?

Moments of digging your toes into the sand, breathing in your favorite smells, and thanking God for His creation.

What if I chose to embrace simple living on principle instead of apologizing for it? Why apologize when Im the happiest and healthiest I can possibly be? So what if some people are still loading crazy amounts of plans onto their plate? I won't be one of them. Why not own it and embrace it instead of wishing to be stressed out, negative, and run down like so many others in America?
Sounds like you already made your mind up. But, actually, it's God's call. We walk with him. We do what he directs us to do. It's not that we don't have choices, but it is God that provides us with the choices. I am one that likes to get my work done, but I also like to enjoy my life. I try to get my work done right away so I can enjoy myself afterwards.

Reactions: Wynona

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I

"Stressed out and burdened to get the most done"..... = For whom?

Listen, everyone is giving their lives for something or for someone.
The best end result is when it's Jesus, as the someone.
This does not mean you have to live in a cave, drinking from a stream, reading the bible by sunlight till the next day dawns.
But it does me that all of us will meet the Lord and :

"Life is short
Soon will pass
Only whats done for Christ
will last.