Why Easter Is Important

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I adhere ti God's Word.
I just don't pretend - as YOU do - that His complete Word is represented ONYY in what is written.

What is written doesn't evewn support that idea . . .
"Believe what you like and break God's word wherever it's convenient for you to do so since it's not stated to keep it all the time. Goodbye"

TRANSLATION:

I'll assume you " break God's word wherever it's convenient for you... because you reject "sola scriptura".

1680906998042.png
1680907097455.jpeg

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Unfortunately, Barney's "thesis" is historical HOGWASH.
His claim that "Easter got it's first official start on 325AD which was long after Jesus resurrection" is nonsense.
Time for a History Lesson . . .

First
off - all we need to do to refute this fairy tale is to point to the 2nd century Pope, Victor I in his ruling on the Quartodecimen Controversy.

The Quartodecimens were Early Christians who celebrated the Resurrection of Jesus on the fourteenth day of the month Nisan (the same day as that on which the Jews celebrated their Passover), without regard to the day of the week. This group claimed to have gotten their tradition from the Apostles John and Philip.
To make a long story short – it was decided the Easter was to be commemorated on Sunday.

This had absolutely NOTHING to do with Constantine or pagan goddesses – and it happened in the 2nd century – NOT the 4th.

The idea that Easter was named after a pagan goddess named "Ishtar" or some other goddess named "Oestra", "Eoster", etc. is nonsense for serious linguistic students who understand that English is a relatively NEW language on the world stage.

Some sources point to the idea that Ostern/Easter is most likely derived from "erstehen", which is the old Teutonic form of "auferstehen/auferstehung" meaning "resurrection".

According to one scholarly linguistic source -
"More recent studies seem to indicate that Easter may be derived from the Latin phrase "hebdomada alba", the old term for Easter week based upon the wearing of white robes by the newly baptized. The octave of Easter, the following week, was known as "post albas", the time when the white robes were put away....Easter may thus mean "white" and be named from early Christian baptismal practices."
("Easter", The Dictionary of Bible and Religion, (Nashville, TN: Abingdon, 1986) 287)

Don't forget - in all of the Latin and Middle Eastern languages - the word sounds NOTHING like "Easter",

So, IF Easter is derived from Eostra/Ostara, that would only prove a pagan influence on Christians who spoke Germanic tongues. NOT all Christians call the Feast of the Resurrection "Easter". Byzantine Christians use the Greek term "Pascha", a transliteration of the Hebrew word "Pesach", or Passover. "Pascha" is also the name of this feast in Latin, the official language of the Roman Rite. The Romance languages reflect this usage; the Italian word "Pasqua", the French "Paques" and the Spanish "Pascua" each derive from "Pascha", and ultimately from "Pesach".

So, it's absurd to assume that "Easter" comes from "Ishtar" or "Eostra" or "Ostara" - or ANY other such nonsense.

I called Barney Bright's brilliant, but YOURS, is now what Luke wrote in Acts 17 is the brilliance of "someone talking trash (viz., 'sh-t')" - "Τί ἂν θέλοι ὁ σπερμολόγος οὗτος λέγειν"– even though it be holy.

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The bible is the complete word of God right? So if it is, and such days that have been devised by man aren't in it, i.e., Easter, Christmas, is it really right? Do such man-made so-called religious holidays really deserve reverence as such, as though God demanded reverence or unique observation of them? I don't think so, but ad I said, do what you like, but I'll adhere to the scriptures and not something added to them by man. My comments were consistent with Romans 14:5-9. Regard whatever days you like.
Romans 14:5-9 has no relevance here. Otherwise good post - truth in fact