Easter's Importance

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only a person who doesn't know the Scriptures would make such an absurd statement (Matt. 28:2-7, Mark 16:5-7, Luke 24: 6-7).
Not one of those passages speak of easter Bread. What version are you using? The KJV is speaking of Jesus' death and resurrection in those passages. Perhaps you can copy paste your version that speaks about easter. It may be that you are not familiar who easter is, her identity is available if you Google it Bread.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are either grossly misinformed, or just another prejudiced anti-Catholic bigot who never documents their sources. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and go with the former.

The word Easter is of English origin. Ishtar was worshipped in Mesopotamia (modern Iraq), not England, which is thousands of miles away. Despite sounding similar, the two words are unrelated.

The eighth-century British historian Bede claimed that the word Easter came from the name of the month in which it occurred (basically, April). He said this month used to be called Eostur, though this was no longer true in his day. He also thought the month was named after a Germanic goddess who was no longer worshipped.

Bede is the only source who mentions this goddess, so he may be incorrect. Regardless, this applies only to the origin of the English word, not the origin of the feast. Its origin is revealed by its name in other languages.
In Italian, it’s Pasqua;
in Spanish, Pascha;
in Portugese, Páscoa;
in French, Pâques;
in Danish, Paaske;
in Dutch, Pasen;
in Swedish, Påsk; and so on.
All of these derive from the Latin Pascha or Greek Paskha, both of which are words for the Jewish feast of Passover (Hebrew, Pesakh).

The *event* Easter (as opposed to the *word* easter) celebrates is the resurrection of Jesus, and it is celebrated in conjunction with Passover because Jesus was crucified at Passover and rose the following Sunday (John 19:14-18, 20:1-20). That explains why Easter is not celebrated on a fixed date the way Christmas is. It can be confusing because we are talking about 2 different calendar systems.

The reason Easter’s timing is based on the full moon after the spring equinox is because that was the timing of Passover on the Jewish calendar. The Law of Moses requires Passover to be celebrated on the fourteenth of the month of Nisan (Lev. 23:5). This is a spring month that contains the equinox, and because the Jewish months begin on the new moon, the fourteenth fell on the full moon.
The timing of the feast thus is Jewish, not pagan.

What is ultimately important is what Easter signifies today—the resurrection of Jesus—not where it came from. (“the genetic fallacy.”)
source

You can continue to wield "easter" as a bat to beat Catholics with thus inadvertently accuse Passover as named after a pagan god because you don't know any better. Now you know better. Don't harden your heart and post the same garbage next year.
The goddess easter is a goddess of fertility, the same traditions of fertility are still practiced in the modern day holy day. Jesus resurrection was never celebrated in the Bible, nor does it admonish Jesus' followers to do so, however his disciples do continue to meet on passover to break the bread and wine in remembrance of him as he instructed. Heck before I become a Christian I remember having easter egg hunts in the church I attended as a young child. easter is always celebrated on Sunday, but Jesus' passover is always held on Nisan 14 every year. To not know what easter is today is a choice Illuminator. Dan 12:4

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Usually their cleverness is underestimated and their charity overrated, especially by themselves
compared to whom, though? Salvation Army is a workcamp scam, and United Way seems spotty at best; and compared to most any Prot congregation i mean please

The true Protestant will try hard to not seek help on the street and would starve rather than enter those robbers dens they claim are churches.
would they? not in my experience, but that would be on them i guess, and not the ones seeking to represent “storehouse” imo

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
You "point to Christ" with stupid arrogant insults, as if Catholics are a lower form of life. You have no church, no pastor, no bishop, and have deified your privatized version of Christianity. You refuse to have your bigotry corrected out of pride, and have demonstrated this time and time again with your despicable anti-Catholic drivel. You are an immature troll incapable of civilized discussion, just cheap shots and flaming zingers. You "point to Christ" while scourging His body at the same time. There is nothing "Christian" about slurs (RCC) and baseless insults.

We don't "follow the Pope", we follow the same teachings that he is bound to follow, the same teachings as Jesus and the Apostles, clarified and developed over time.

The pagan influence fallacy is a fallacy, always asserted, never proven. It's another one of your many baseless cheap shots, while "pointing to Christ".
Opponents of the Church often attempt to discredit Catholicism by attempting to show similarities between it and the beliefs or practices of ancient paganism. This fallacy is frequently committed by Fundamentalists against Catholics; by Seventh-day Adventists, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Mormons, and others against both Protestants and Catholics; and by atheists and skeptics against both Christians and Jews.​
The nineteenth century witnessed a flowering of this “pagan influence fallacy.” Publications such as The Two Babylons by Alexander Hislop (the classic English text charging the Catholic Church with paganism) paved the way for generations of antagonism toward the Church. During this time, entire new sects were created (Seventh-day Adventists, Mormons, Jehovah’s Witnesses)—all considering traditional Catholicism and Protestantism as polluted by paganism. This era also saw atheistic “freethinkers” such as Robert Ingersoll writing books attacking Christianity and Judaism as pagan.​

Guilty people accuse innocent people of nothing for something to compare and justify themselves and their unrighteousness with.

• Love

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
compared to whom, though? Salvation Army is a workcamp scam, and United Way seems spotty at best; and compared to most any Prot congregation i mean please
that's what he's said
would they? not in my experience, but that would be on them i guess, and not the ones seeking to represent “storehouse” imo
Many, many millions went to the stake. Forgot? Yes, forgot you do.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not one of those passages speak of easter Bread. What version are you using? The KJV is speaking of Jesus' death and resurrection in those passages. Perhaps you can copy paste your version that speaks about easter. It may be that you are not familiar WHO easter is, her identity is available if you Google it Bread.
That's because Easter isn't a "WHOO" - nit a WHAT.

Sadly, YOU'VE been sucked in by the idiotic nonsense about "Ishtar" or "Oestra" or some other pagan goddess, which has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Christian celebration of Easter..
Time for a Linguistics Lessen . . .

FIRST of all – YOU need to understand that English is a relatively NEW language on the world stage. Some scholarly sources point out that Ostern/Easter is most likely derived from "erstehen", which is the old Teutonic form of "auferstehen/auferstehung" meaning "resurrection".

Don't forget - in all of the Latin and Middleeastern languages - the word sounds NOTHING like "Easter".

So, IF Easter is derived from Eostra/Ostara, that would only prove a pagan influence on Christians who spoke Germanic tongues.

And NOT all Christians reefer to the Feast of the Resurrection as "Easter". Byzantine Christians use the Greek term "Pascha", a transliteration of the Hebrew word "Pesach", or Passover.
"Pascha" is also the name of this feast in Latin, the official language of the Roman Rite.
The Romance languages reflect this usage; the Italian word "Pasqua", the French "Paques".
The Spanish "Pascua" each derive from "Pascha", and ultimately from "Pesach".

So, it's absurd to assume that "Easter" comes from "Ishtar" or "Eostra" or "Ostara" - or ANY other such nonsense.

NEXT Lesson:
The Christian origins of
Easter Eggs . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: Illuminator

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was christened an infant into the Roman Catholic Church in 1944, and
eventually attended catechism to complete First Holy Communion and
Confirmation.

My siblings are Catholic, my mother was Catholic, my eldest brother entered
the priesthood and made it to Friar before succumbing to cancer in 2018. My
wife is a former Catholic, her dad was Catholic, his wife was Catholic, my
aunt and uncle were Catholics, and my wife's cousins are Catholic; one of
them is an ordained Deacon.

However, even with all that indoctrination, and all those Catholic folks
around me; I was somehow unaware God was thinking of me when His son
went to the cross till a man at work back in Feb 1968 walked up and told me.

That was quite a eureka moment because I knew Jesus died for the sins of
the world but didn't think it was for anybody in particular. In point of fact, I
had been brought up to feel pity for Christ as a victim of unfortunate
circumstances beyond his control. Had that man not taken the initiative to
speak with me, I might've never known the truth.

Consequently, my confidence in the Roman Catholic Church was shattered
like a bar of peanut brittle candy dropped to the sidewalk from the tippy top
of the Chrysler building. I don't hate the Church, I'm just very disappointed
with it.
_

Last edited:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was christened an infant into the Roman Catholic Church in 1944, and
eventually attended catechism to complete First Holy Communion and
Confirmation.

My siblings are Catholic, my mother was Catholic, my eldest brother entered
the priesthood and made it to Friar before succumbing to cancer in 2018. My
wife is a former Catholic, her dad was Catholic, his wife was Catholic, my
aunt and uncle were Catholics, and my wife's cousins are Catholic; one of
them is an ordained Deacon.

However, even with all that indoctrination, and all those Catholic folks
around me; I was somehow unaware God was thinking of me when His son
went to the cross till a man at work back in Feb 1968 walked up and told me.

That was quite a eureka moment because I knew Jesus died for the sins of
the world but didn't think it was for anybody in particular. In point of fact, I
had been brought up to feel pity for Christ as a victim of unfortunate
circumstances beyond his control. Had that man not taken the initiative to
speak with me, I might've never known the truth.

Consequently, my confidence in the Roman Catholic Church was shattered
like a bar of peanut brittle candy dropped to the sidewalk from the tippy top
of the Chrysler building. I don't hate the Church, I'm just very disappointed
with it.
_
It's a real shame because it sounds like you were poorly catechized.

You parents failed you. But, in the end, you only have yourself to blame. If ONLY you had listed at Mass all those years when virtually the ENTIRE Bible was being read to you and preached on at during any given 3-year period. You would have KNOWN that Jesus died for YOU.

When your co-worker shared his faith with you - instead of investigating your own Catholic faith for the answers - you cut and ran because that was easier.
This is the same sad story for 9 of my 12 siblings - ignorance coupled with a "feel-good" easy-believism.

The Church didn't let YOU down.
YOU let the Church down.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The scene of this world is changing Amigo, 1 Cor 7:31 we are in for some tough times ahead Mat 24:22,29
embrace all suffering for Christ . It is the righteous judgment of GOD that we suffer for the kingdom .
Embrace the LORD . Cling to the holy book called the bible . And alter not ONE word of it .
This world and her religoins are gonna have no problem getting rid of lambs who did not conform to its false love .
Be prepared to lose every thing . BUT COUNT IT ALL GAIN TO WIN JESUS .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The great recruiter of the one world religoin cannot let go of his deception .
Flee the RCC and all other places that refuses and refused to bend the knee to CHRIST but rather bent the knee to men gone wrong .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not here to "recruit" anyone.
I'm only here to expose people like
YOU . . .
You can expose nothing through the darkness of doctrines of men gone wrong .
LIGHT exposes darkness . The day you come to the LIGHT your eyes shall see and then shall you be able
to pull the speck out of the eyes of others . For now the LOG of ROME remains clouded in your eyes .
You see only HER LOG of deception .

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
FIRST of all – YOU need to understand that English is a relatively NEW language on the world stage. Some scholarly sources point out that Ostern/Easter is most likely derived from "erstehen", which is the old Teutonic form of "auferstehen/auferstehung" meaning "resurrection".
No, you're wrong; it spells desperation.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can expose nothing through the darkness of doctrines of men gone wrong .
LIGHT exposes darkness . The day you come to the LIGHT your eyes shall see and then shall you be able
to pull the speck out of the eyes of others . For now the LOG of ROME remains clouded in your eyes .
You see only HER LOG of deception .
As usual, your post is filled with a litany of platitudes – but never a SINGLE SHRED of evidence about what you’re talking about.
Probably because you don’t have a clue as to what the Catholic Church actually
teaches . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, you're wrong; it spells desperation.
Responses like this always make me chuckle in their emptiness.

I lay out a solid linguistic argument for Easter that destroys your "pagan goddess" nonsense - and the only thing YOU can respond with is "Nuh-uhh!!"

Ummmmm, talk about
desperation . . .

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't hate the Church, I'm just very disappointed
with it.
_
You are very disappointed with your sick private view of the Church. That's why you ran from this thread you started:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.