• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dga

Dec 22, 2020
Ashford
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Fasting is humility, doing what God desires instead of what you desire. That is denying yourself daily, and carrying your cross daily. Fasting is obeying God, just to do what he has commanded instead of doing what you want to do. Fasting is saying 'No' to flesh and learning to deny the flesh. Do not forget that the sinful nature lives in the body. Fasting is leaving what you want, eating, in order to do what God wants, praying.

I believe that God is more interested, why do we fast, than how long we fast. You see, we can fast for 40 days, without eating anything, but what God is looking for, is why are we actually doing it.

Sometimes, we can be tempted to think, that if we fast enough, we can 'twist the arm' of God, and make him to do, what we have asked of him in prayer, or to give us something, when we pray. But that is the totally wrong approach to fasting altogether. Why? Because the primary purpose of fasting, is for us, to align ourselves with God, and not to cause God to do something for us. You see, fasting is for him, not for us. Fasting is a type of humility, and humility simply means, doing what God has commanded us. To be humble, does not mean to have a pity party and say 'Poor me', but it means obeying the Word of God. That is humility.

Some Christians think, that when they fast, that will cause God to answer their prayers. Look, God does not answer our prayers, because we do not eat for some time, while we are fasting. No. God answers our prayers because we believe his Word, and because he cares for us. That is why he answers our prayers, and not because we decided to fast, for one or more days.

Fasting simply shows God, that we are willing for a certain period of time, to deny the desire of our flesh to eat, and instead spend that time in prayer. God is always pleased when we say not to the flesh and yes to his Holy Spirit. We should not forget, that according to Apostle Paul, the sinful nature lives in our bodies, and not in our minds or spirits. That is what is written in Romans 7:23 Amplified Bible. So fasting is a way for us to carry our cross, and to train ourselves to deny our body, or flesh, and its desire to eat, in order to spend time feeding our spirit and soul, on the Word of God, and spending time with God.

MORE: Levels of Spiritual Growth
Levels of Spiritual growth

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that God is more interested, why do we fast, than how long we fast. You see, we can fast for 40 days, without eating anything, but what God is looking for, is why are we actually doing it.

I think fasting can help us practice to deny the flesh it's appetites. As we come to understand more and more what it spirit and what is flesh, we can expand our fasting to all the appetites of the flesh, that is, any that do not glorify God.

Israel was commanded on the Day of Atonement to fast, that is, "afflict your souls". Fasting sets us against our flesh. The battle is on!

Much love!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fasting is humility, doing what God desires instead of what you desire. That is denying yourself daily, and carrying your cross daily. Fasting is obeying God, just to do what he has commanded instead of doing what you want to do. Fasting is saying 'No' to flesh and learning to deny the flesh. Do not forget that the sinful nature lives in the body. Fasting is leaving what you want, eating, in order to do what God wants, praying.

Sometimes, we can be tempted to think, that if we fast enough, we can 'twist the arm' of God, and make him to do, what we have asked of him in prayer, or to give us something, when we pray. But that is the totally wrong approach to fasting altogether. Why? Because the primary purpose of fasting, is for us, to align ourselves with God, and not to cause God to do something for us. You see, fasting is for him, not for us. Fasting is a type of humility, and humility simply means, doing what God has commanded us. To be humble, does not mean to have a pity party and say 'Poor me', but it means obeying the Word of God. That is humility.

Some Christians think, that when they fast, that will cause God to answer their prayers. Look, God does not answer our prayers, because we do not eat for some time, while we are fasting. No. God answers our prayers because we believe his Word, and because he cares for us. That is why he answers our prayers, and not because we decided to fast, for one or more days.

Fasting simply shows God, that we are willing for a certain period of time, to deny the desire of our flesh to eat, and instead spend that time in prayer. God is always pleased when we say not to the flesh and yes to his Holy Spirit. We should not forget, that according to Apostle Paul, the sinful nature lives in our bodies, and not in our minds or spirits. That is what is written in Romans 7:23 Amplified Bible. So fasting is a way for us to carry our cross, and to train ourselves to deny our body, or flesh, and its desire to eat, in order to spend time feeding our spirit and soul, on the Word of God, and spending time with God.

You said “Some Christians think, that when they fast, that will cause God to answer their prayers. Look, God does not answer our prayers, because we do not eat for some time, while we are fasting.” The some Christians think, that when they fast, that will cause God to answer their prayers makes me think of: Isaiah 58:3-7 Wherefore have we fasted, say they, and thou seest not? wherefore have we afflicted our soul, and thou takest no knowledge? Behold, in the day of your fast ye find pleasure, and exact all your labours. [4] Behold, ye fast for strife and debate, and to smite with the fist of wickedness: ye shall not fast as ye do this day, to make your voice to be heard on high. [5] Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him ? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the Lord ? [6] Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? [7] Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
You said “Some Christians think, that when they fast, that will cause God to answer their prayers. Look, God does not answer our prayers, because we do not eat for some time, while we are fasting.” The some Christians think, that when they fast, that will cause God to answer their prayers makes me think of: Isaiah 58:3-7 Wherefore have we fasted, say they, and thou seest not? wherefore have we afflicted our soul, and thou takest no knowledge? Behold, in the day of your fast ye find pleasure, and exact all your labours. [4] Behold, ye fast for strife and debate, and to smite with the fist of wickedness: ye shall not fast as ye do this day, to make your voice to be heard on high. [5] Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him ? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the Lord ? [6] Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? [7] Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?
Hi @VictoryinJesus In the end, if done, it's a Godward exercise rather than something to do before other people, right?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @VictoryinJesus In the end, if done, it's a Godward exercise rather than something to do before other people, right?

I wouldn’t know because I’ve never fasted from food for more than twenty four hours, if that. It is all I can do to fast for a blood test the following day.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I wouldn’t know because I’ve never fasted from food for more than twenty four hours, if that. It is all I can do to fast for a blood test the following day.
@VictoryinJesus I guess it's a matter of degrees of fasting. For example, a preacher studying for meetings might opt to do without a meal while spending several hours in Bible study.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Consider concerning fasting though: Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

1 Corinthians 8:8-13 But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse. [9] But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak. [10] For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols; [11] And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died? [12] But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ. [13] Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? [7] Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Consider concerning fasting though: Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

1 Corinthians 8:8-13 But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse. [9] But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak. [10] For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols; [11] And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died? [12] But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ. [13] Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? [7] Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?
@VictoryinJesus There's also Romans 1`4.17:

"For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost."

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I don't actually fast sir, but I do believe there are health benefits for it. I really have thought about incorporating it in, but realize it would be extremely hard to do. Although I would consider it more for health reasons rather than a sacrifice for God, if we want to be pleasing to God and show our love for Him, the best way is recorded at 1 John 5:3 sir.

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The some Christians think, that when they fast, that will cause God to answer their prayers makes me think of: Isaiah 58:3-7
Well quoted. About 25 years ago I struggled to understand fasting, and nobody could explain it to me in a way that made any logical sense to me. Then one evening we had a small Bible study in my home, led by a pastor from the church that I eventually started attending. Afterwards, while having tea and biscuits :), I asked him about fasting, thinking that he would know. Unfortunately his answer also made no sense to me and I was none the wiser.

But that night I was dreaming a nonsensical dream when suddenly the words "nine one nine" were spoken into my mind. It startled me and I woke up and decided I should check page 919 in my Bible (I only had one Bible at that time), but then went back to sleep. I have a poor memory, so it was eventually 3 or 4 days later before I remembered while I was at home and had access to my Bible, and I looked up page 919. It was a paperback NIV Bible, just one column to a page like a conventional book, and at the top of page 919 it was the start of a new chapter, and the chapter covered the whole page. Being a NIV it had a chapter title, so there at the top of the page was the heading "True fasting" - it was Isaiah 58.

So in the middle of the night on a Saturday (sabbath day!) God answered my question, and later, during Saturday evening, when I went to listen to the evangelist Reinhard Bonnke who was visiting my home town, when Reinhard prayed for healing I was healed of a back problem that I had been suffering with for 4 months. It was an amazing day for me!

So Isaiah 58 should definitely be studied if you're struggling to understand fasting.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well quoted. About 25 years ago I struggled to understand fasting, and nobody could explain it to me in a way that made any logical sense to me. Then one evening we had a small Bible study in my home, led by a pastor from the church that I eventually started attending. Afterwards, while having tea and biscuits :), I asked him about fasting, thinking that he would know. Unfortunately his answer also made no sense to me and I was none the wiser.

But that night I was dreaming a nonsensical dream when suddenly the words "nine one nine" were spoken into my mind. It startled me and I woke up and decided I should check page 919 in my Bible (I only had one Bible at that time), but then went back to sleep. I have a poor memory, so it was eventually 3 or 4 days later before I remembered while I was at home and had access to my Bible, and I looked up page 919. It was a paperback NIV Bible, just one column to a page like a conventional book, and at the top of page 919 it was the start of a new chapter, and the chapter covered the whole page. Being a NIV it had a chapter title, so there at the top of the page was the heading "True fasting" - it was Isaiah 58.

So in the middle of the night on a Saturday (sabbath day!) God answered my question, and later, during Saturday evening, when I went to listen to the evangelist Reinhard Bonnke who was visiting my home town, when Reinhard prayed for healing I was healed of a back problem that I had been suffering with for 4 months. It was an amazing day for me!

So Isaiah 58 should definitely be studied if you're struggling to understand fasting.

makes sense to me and for what it is worth I believe you that God led you to the answer to your questions. I’ve had similar experiences. One being in the OT with the woman made to drink bitter water. I’m not quoting all of it but as a reference Numbers 5:14-18 And the spirit of jealousy come upon him, and he be jealous of his wife, and she be defiled: or if the spirit of jealousy come upon him, and he be jealous of his wife, and she be not defiled: [15] Then shall the man bring his wife unto the priest, and he shall bring her offering for her, the tenth part of an ephah of barley meal; he shall pour no oil upon it, nor put frankincense thereon; for it is an offering of jealousy, an offering of memorial, bringing iniquity to remembrance. [16] And the priest shall bring her near, and set her before the Lord : [17] And the priest shall take holy water in an earthen vessel; and of the dust that is in the floor of the tabernacle the priest shall take, and put it into the water: [18] And the priest shall set the woman before the Lord, and uncover the woman's head, and put the offering of memorial in her hands, which is the jealousy offering: and the priest shall have in his hand the bitter water that causeth the curse:

Why I had questions concerning this woman being made to drink is because it clouded how I viewed God. The passage reminded me of a cult ritual and had me questioning “who are you God?” Some time after I had stopped asking, late one night He led me to my answers and now the passage will never be forgotten because it is intimate now as something He shared instead of mysteriously creepy. Like with you, there it was an answer to the questions. Now it is beautiful when Jesus Christ and what He has accomplished is at the center of “made to drink the bitter water”. Hope that makes sense. Thank you for sharing and I am thankful He answered your questions concerning fasting.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

no its not

fasting is simply being focused on something so much you disregard eating and or sleeping. some people will go days straight without, to accomplish a desired result. and that's not even something like being close to the Lord God. fasting is simply that, anything else would be disingenuous showmanship or a form of masochism.