Why God tests us

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You mean "tempted" not "tested"

God never tempts anyone to sin.

James 1:2-4
Same word, peirasmos, translated tempt and test. Contrary circumstance (internal or external) to which we can respond godly, and with trust and endurance, or we can reject the circumstance, and seek remedy outside of God's intent.

We are to endure what we cannot righteously remedy, and in doing so, we build the experiences of seeing God come through for us. I think @GEN2REV gave a good answer on that.

Much love!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You mean "tempted" not "tested"

God never tempts anyone to sin.

James 1:2-4

that was the question pertaining to God never tempts anyone to sin.

“examine yourselves” then 2 Corinthians 13:6 And I hope you will realize that we have not failed the test.
7Now we pray to God that you will not do anything wrong—not that we will appear to have stood the test, but that you will do what is right, even if we appear to have failed.…

I’m not seeing how “tested” or “tempted are different? For example: And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan has desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: [32] But I have prayed for you, that your faith fail not: and when you art converted, strengthen your brethren. [33] And he said unto him, Lord, I am ready to go with you, both into prison, and to death. [34] And he said, I tell you, Peter, the cock shall not crow this day, before you shall thrice (is that three times) deny that you know me.
Luke 22:31-34
Was Peter “tested” or “tempted”?

2 Peter 2:9 The Lord knows how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:

Last edited:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe God tests our faith in order to prove to the evil one that our faith and love towards God is genuine.

What other reasons does God have for testing our faith?

No that is not what testing means biblically. It is actually a word used in refining. The refiner, melts the god, teh dross rises to teh surface and they skim it off. It cools, hardens and they melt it again and more dross rises and is skimmed unti you get gold that has that .999 pure mark.

God is not testing us as a school test, but is refining us so our faith is purer and our love stronger, not to prove to anyone we are genuine. God already knows and is simply keeping His promise to conform us to teh image of Jesus.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One or the other.

Know this bob, when we were saved and received the Holy Spirit, we received all of Him, not just a beak one week, then a claw then a feather etc.etc. Faith is a gift from God, and He gave us the fulness at the onset. We just need to learn how to use it, not strengthen it. Exercising teh gifts do not make them stronger, just we become more adept and confident in using the gifts
God gives us.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Know this bob, when we were saved and received the Holy Spirit, we received all of Him, not just a beak one week, then a claw then a feather etc.etc. Faith is a gift from God, and He gave us the fulness at the onset. We just need to learn how to use it, not strengthen it. Exercising teh gifts do not make them stronger, just we become more adept and confident in using the gifts
God gives us.
Know this, Ronald, that the Lord will discipline us if we misbehave.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe God tests our faith in order to prove to the evil one that our faith and love towards God is genuine.

"Test" is certainly the right word.

This life is our testimony, our last will and testament before the Judgment.

Reactions: friend of

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Know this, Ronald, that the Lord will discipline us if we misbehave.

Well technically, but that term discipline is "paideuo" where in star wars they derived the term padewan. It means instructs. And discipline also means train. God will never punish us for our sin, He already punished Jesus for our sin. However, sin bears its own consequences in this world, and when neccessary God will let us receive the wages of sin, to teach us and form us.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well technically, but that term discipline is "paideuo" where in star wars they derived the term padewan. It means instructs. And discipline also means train. God will never punish us for our sin, He already punished Jesus for our sin. However, sin bears its own consequences in this world, and when neccessary God will let us receive the wages of sin, to teach us and form us.
It doesn't matter to me where the term comes from. I just know from personal experience that life is a whole lot better if I behave myself.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It doesn't matter to me where the term comes from. I just know from personal experience that life is a whole lot better if I behave myself.

Absolutely true! Just remember that God is forever doen being angry with us because of what Jesus did.

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

To show us how much of what we "THINK" we have is real.

Peter and the disciples all said they'd die for Jesus, but when they got the chance to they ran like rats deserting a sinking ship. Jesus knew what they'd do, but THEY DIDN'T until they were tested.

Reactions: friend of