Why God tests us

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I believe God tests our faith in order to prove to the evil one that our faith and love towards God is genuine.

What other reasons does God have for testing our faith?

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe God tests our faith in order to prove to the evil one that our faith and love towards God is genuine.

To strengthen our faith.

Not only by exposing to us where our faith is, but by experience and the development of perseverance, God strengthens us in our walk and in our faith with each significant testing period.

If we endure a week of difficult trial, praying and worrying for resolution, then find that God has answered our prayers and we are ok, the next trial of a similar nature is easier to endure and our faith and certainty that He is taking care of us is stronger meaning less worry and doubt.

With every trial, we have a choice at the end of it to either wilt and distance ourselves from God or to stand up taller and straighter in our walk and move closer to Him. Our faith is affected relative to each response.

Staying in The Word is absolutely essential to success in these battles and the strengthening of our faith as the outcome.

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wish God wouldn’t bring me up in his meeting ie:Job. I think he did though. And it is absolutely to prove to the devil that we love God. It is hard and the reward will be worth it. Persevere!!

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wish God wouldn’t bring me up in his meeting ie:Job. I think he did though. And it is absolutely to prove to the devil that we love God. It is hard and the reward will be worth it. Persevere!!
I have actually thought this very thing.

I hope God doesn't point me out to the enemy. "Look how good this one's doing!"

Then when the meeting is over, the Adversary beats me relentlessly! :D

I suppose it is a rite of passage. But man it's a doozy.

Reactions: marks and Mantis

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It is true that all Christians undergo tests of their faith sir, but why do you believe it is God who tests us?

Reactions: ScottA

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is true that all Christians undergo tests of their faith sir, but why do you believe it is God who tests us?

James tells us about being tested, and that it is a blessing for after its over with, and we have “stood the test”, you will receive the crown of faith. The tests develop our character and perseverance which leads to christian maturity.

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Because God is the one who is omnipotent. So everything that happens to us is inevitably by God's hand?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James tells us about being tested, and that it is a blessing for after its over with, and we have “stood the test”, you will receive the crown of faith. The tests develop our character and perseverance which leads to christian maturity.

Amen to that for sure, yes we are all tested, and that tested quality strengthens our faith, usually. But keep in mind which god it is that is putting us to the test.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because God is the one who is omnipotent. So everything that happens to us is inevitably by God's hand?

I agree that God knows, but not cause Friend. James 1:13-15 You see we became our own gods when Adam sinned, God granted that to Adam, and we inherited it. True, we can still be obedient to God, and worship Him, but He does not force us to, nor direct our lives against our will.

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I agree that God knows, but not cause Friend. James 1:13-15 You see we became our own gods when Adam sinned, God granted that to Adam, and we inherited it. True, we can still be obedient to God, and worship Him, but He does not force us to, nor direct our lives against our will.

When we surrender our lives to God he enables us to live out His plans for our lives.

Doesn't He?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

To grow our faith and make us stronger and better able to recognise enemy attack or lies.

Reactions: marks

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When we surrender our lives to God he enables us to live out His plans for our lives.

Doesn't He?

When Adam chose to sin against God and become his own god, Jehovah granted his request Friend. He forces no one to serve Him, and allows each to choose their path. You used the term surrender our lives to God, which is a great, easily understandable term, and yes when we make our dedication to God, we essentially although not perfectly become what Adam was originally, we agree to live our lives within the guidelines of God's law.

So the answer I give is most definitely yes. Keep in mind however, God's plans for all of us who have dedicated ourselves to Him, is the same for each of us. We have an assignment. There are different responsibilities however that go along with that assignment as well like you stated. Perhaps I have over-complicated my response to your question, but there is a reason behind it. As many people do unscriptural things thinking they are doing the will of God, which you may observe yourself.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I’m still not sure who does the testing?

1) who is the accuser that puts you on trial before God?

2) let no man say he is tested of God for God does not test anyone nor can God be tested by anyone…but a man is tested when he is drawn away by his own lust and once that lust is conceived it brings forth death?

3) confused then Because Elsewhere in scripture God says to test Him…yet there again who is doing the testing? In go ahead and test Me? as Satan did test Or “tempt” In the wilderness?

4)the question of why does God test us…for me is like asking: why is satan loosed for a little season? Where the word seems to clarify in that your brother may be tried as you were tried, “rest you for a little season” till they be found unto the glory and praise of God?

5) as in 1 Peter 1:6-9 Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, you are in heaviness through manifold temptations: [7] That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perishes, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ: [8] Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: [9] Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.

“If need be” for a season… “till Christ be formed in you”
There is a passage where Paul speaks of a brother that goes away for a season …he describes this brother as a servant but after the season of going away….this brother is received back as no longer a servant but above a servant; received (returned) as a dearly beloved brother. Even in blasphemy of the Spirit of God, the instructions were to turn that one who is guilty of blasphemy of God over to satan; to be taught not to blasphemy God. (As you have no need anyone write unto you; as you are taught of God that you ought to love one another.) Elsewhere: you should receive one who was afflicted by many so they are not swallowed up in much sorrow. That the pain afflicted by many is sufficient, so that they be not swallowed up of many …receive them unto Christ who came to save sinners which we all have been?

Where Paul said “if need be” maybe that brother who was a servant left for a season, that he might return no longer a servant but as a beloved brother… consider that brother
“Whom having not seen(Christ in that brother), you love; in whom, though now you see him (Christ) not, yet believing, you rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: [9] Receiving the end of your faith(where your faith in God leads in believing, as Paul said I know whom I have trusted and believed, where for a season a brother went away, yet you receive the joy and rejoicing when that brother returns beloved…full of joy. You are our joy and crown of rejoicing in His presence), even the salvation of your souls.

As in 2 Corinthians 7:14-16 For if I have boasted any thing to him of you, I am not ashamed; but as we spake all things to you in truth, even so our boasting, which I made before Titus, is found a truth. [15] And his inward affection is more abundant toward you, while he remembers the obedience of you all, how with fear and trembling you received him. [16] I rejoice therefore that I have confidence in you in all things.

if I have boasted any thing to him of you, I am not ashamed; but as we spake all things to you in truth, even so our boasting, which I made before Titus, is found a truth

speak in Christ?
2 Corinthians 13:3-4 Since you seek a proof of Christ speaking in me, which to you-ward is not weak, but is mighty in you. [4] For though he was crucified through weakness, yet he liveth by the power of God. For we also are weak in him, but we shall live with him by the power of God toward you.

1 Timothy 2:7-8 Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not…if I have boasted any thing to him of you, I am not ashamed; but as we spake all things to you in truth, even so our boasting, which I made before Titus, is found a truth …a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity. [8] I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.​

2 Corinthians 12:19-20 Again, think you that we excuse ourselves unto you? we speak before God in Christ: but we do all things, dearly beloved, for your edifying. [20] For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as you would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults:​

sounds to me like he is saying (the whole topic is then) where he boasted in what Christ could do in them, ‘believing and receiving the end of that Faith” …for we do all things, dearly beloved, for your edifying …even when Christ wasn’t yet seen in them…that boasting in Christ makes not ashamed but “is found a truth”! “I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not;” As Christ in the wilderness when …who came to test? Christ spoke and believed …receiving a body, yet while we were sinners dead in our own sins…He lied not?

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
for we do all things, dearly beloved, for your edifying

we speak before God in Christ: but we do all things, dearly beloved, for your edifying.

speak we in Christ?
“We speak before God in Christ: but we do all things, dearly beloved, for your edifying”

Dearly beloved:
Dear friends:
Beloved: a beloved person, thing, or place in one that you feel great affection? “Our conversation is in Heaven from which we look for His return? Beloved: used by a priest or other religious official as a way of speaking to the people at the start of a Christian ceremony, especially a wedding …

All this time you have been thinking that we are defending ourselves to you.
[actually] it is in the sight of God that we have been speaking in Christ and all for your up building beloved. ; 2 Corinthians 12:19 that the power given be not abused in tearing down or for destruction …so to sin against Christ, made a transgressor and not walking in Charity… but [actually] in all things for your edification “speak we in Christ” before God

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Job. I get the other post I’ve posted are way too long but I’m also studying why the suffering? what is happening? What is the purpose? Whom should be believed? So I get lengthy but as you mentioned Job’s being tested …for me significant is “the LORD restored the fortunes [captivity, captives] of Job when he prayed for his friends, and the LORD increased all that Job had twofold.” Which reminds me of Luke 18:29-33 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or parents, or brethren, or wife, or children, for the kingdom of God's sake, [30] Who shall not receive manifold more in this present time, and in the world to come life everlasting. [31] Then he took unto him the twelve, and said unto them, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem, and all things that are written by the prophets concerning the Son of man shall be accomplished. [32] For he shall be delivered unto the Gentiles, and shall be mocked, and spitefully entreated, and spitted on: [33] And they shall scourge him, and put him to death: and the third day he shall rise again.

what exactly is the “shall receive more in this present time” because Mark 10 seems to say “with persecutions”
And Mark 10:28-30 Then Peter began to say unto him, Lo, we have left all, and have followed thee. [29] And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's, [30] But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life.

Job’s captivity turned when he prayed for his friends reminds me first of “friends” even when those friends might not appear as dearly beloved. Same as while we were yet dead in our sins? he came not to destroy but that we might have Life?

second: Job’s increase where “God gives the increase”…

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
speak we in Christ?
“We speak before God in Christ: but we do all things, dearly beloved, for your edifying”

Dearly beloved:
Dear friends:
Beloved: a beloved person, thing, or place in one that you feel great affection? “Our conversation is in Heaven from which we look for His return? Beloved: used by a priest or other religious official as a way of speaking to the people at the start of a Christian ceremony, especially a wedding …

All this time you have been thinking that we are defending ourselves to you.
[actually] it is in the sight of God that we have been speaking in Christ and all for your up building beloved. ; 2 Corinthians 12:19 that the power given be not abused in tearing down or for destruction …so to sin against Christ, made a transgressor and not walking in Charity… but [actually] in all things for your edification “speak we in Christ” before God

You spoke your truth into the lies and let my heart believe…

the enemy did every thing he could do
But Oh look what you’ve done …?

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
let no man say he is tested of God for God does not test anyone nor can God be tested by anyone…but a man is tested when he is drawn away by his own lust and once that lust is conceived it brings forth death?

You mean "tempted" not "tested"

God never tempts anyone to sin.

James 1:2-4

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

To prove it to us.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think with Job, God was proving He knew human character, and each of us, while Satan did not. Satan judged by himself, but God judges in righteousness.

Much love!

Reactions: Mantis