why i don't pray or read the Bible anymore

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jabre

Dec 22, 2021
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I stopped praying and reading the Bible because...there are so many, SO MANY occultic false ways to pray and use the Bible, it's too much of a risk for me. For ages before i quit, i would almost, if not ALWAYS fall into these occult ways of doing it, even if it was always an accident. I can't risk that, so i stopped. is there any way to recover from this? i'm mentally disabled and have a very hard time doing things the way i know is right.

dominic

Jan 11, 2022
Okinawa, Japan
www.pureheart.page
Faith
Christian
Country
Japan
I get what your saying about cults. There are Jehovah's Witness, Mormon, and any cults that hurt and abuse children. But Jesus did say "The Father knows what is on your heart even before you ask Him" Now, depending on your thinking, and what you think of me, will determine if you trust that "The Father knows what is already on your heart"

You don't me to tell you this, but you need to hear and read this in the Bible and put your whole trust that "God hears me". This is the testimony of those who put their faith in God. God hears me.

Do you think this is right? If you do, then you are ready for a next step. If God does hear you (your prayer, your talking to God, your mental conversation with God), so you think you need to hear from God? I hope you do. I know I do. Well, how else would you know what is really from you or someone else or from God....unless you read the Word for yourself and are seeking for God, for yourself, because you really want God?

You can't compare your understanding to anything else, unless it's the truth in the Bible.

Jesus said "I am the way, I am the truth, I am the life". That is not some pastor, some person, but Jesus. You have to meet and know this Jesus found in the Bible, found right near You. He is there right by you.

I would confess everything that is on your heart to God, ask him for help you and forgive you for any known or unknown sins, then make a full heart committment to seek and know God, this means to trust and obey and love God. As you read about God found only in the Bible.

God can't be found in any other books, but God uses His own Words, found in the Bible. When Jesus fought the lies of the Devil in Matthew 4, Jesus quotes from the Bible, the old testament, which is the same Old Testament you and I have. If it was good enough to batlte and defeat the devil, after fasting 40 days, then it's good enough for all of God's children.

There is not other alternatives. It sounds like you were tricked or deceived in some cult or some really abuse or really strict "religious" upbringings. You have to go to God for this. Those people cant' hurt you anymore. God loves even the most wicked of sinners, these involved in the occults, but one day will call them to account for what they did, and it will be too late for them. God gives them a chance to repent, stop hurting others, but if they persist in their own stubborn ways.

Now I can go on and on and some of this you might think is "of my own personal denomination" or "personal bias" therefore "occultish" you might think...but then you read and ask God to interpret the scriptures for you. What does you heart say?

Does God leave us alone to search for Him? Yes. Read Psalms and see how David did it.
Does that mean God will always just be so far away, I have to cry like David? Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

You are breathing aren't you? God gives you breath.
You are with a beating heart right? God gives you life.

There are many things around us that God is doing and speaking to us, but we can't see or understand it.

If you are hurting, and if you are doubting, Jesus said in Matthew 11:28-30 "Come unto me all you that are heavy burden and laden and will give you rest"

This means real prayer, crying to God, waiting on God for His answers, and hearing his already answered questions you have found only in the Bible. This how it works, I find.

Reactions: Lambano

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You think you are better off NOT seeking help from your all-powerful Creator who loves more than we can imagine?

The Bible says to pray without ceasing. Try that for 30 days and let us know how the experiment turns out,

Much love

Reactions: marks

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get what your saying about cults. There are Jehovah's Witness, Mormon, and any cults that hurt and abuse children. But Jesus did say "The Father knows what is on your heart even before you ask Him" Now, depending on your thinking, and what you think of me, will determine if you trust that "The Father knows what is already on your heart"

You don't me to tell you this, but you need to hear and read this in the Bible and put your whole trust that "God hears me". This is the testimony of those who put their faith in God. God hears me.

Do you think this is right? If you do, then you are ready for a next step. If God does hear you (your prayer, your talking to God, your mental conversation with God), so you think you need to hear from God? I hope you do. I know I do. Well, how else would you know what is really from you or someone else or from God....unless you read the Word for yourself and are seeking for God, for yourself, because you really want God?

You can't compare your understanding to anything else, unless it's the truth in the Bible.

Jesus said "I am the way, I am the truth, I am the life". That is not some pastor, some person, but Jesus. You have to meet and know this Jesus found in the Bible, found right near You. He is there right by you.

I would confess everything that is on your heart to God, ask him for help you and forgive you for any known or unknown sins, then make a full heart committment to seek and know God, this means to trust and obey and love God. As you read about God found only in the Bible.

God can't be found in any other books, but God uses His own Words, found in the Bible. When Jesus fought the lies of the Devil in Matthew 4, Jesus quotes from the Bible, the old testament, which is the same Old Testament you and I have. If it was good enough to batlte and defeat the devil, after fasting 40 days, then it's good enough for all of God's children.

There is not other alternatives. It sounds like you were tricked or deceived in some cult or some really abuse or really strict "religious" upbringings. You have to go to God for this. Those people cant' hurt you anymore. God loves even the most wicked of sinners, these involved in the occults, but one day will call them to account for what they did, and it will be too late for them. God gives them a chance to repent, stop hurting others, but if they persist in their own stubborn ways.

Now I can go on and on and some of this you might think is "of my own personal denomination" or "personal bias" therefore "occultish" you might think...but then you read and ask God to interpret the scriptures for you. What does you heart say?

Does God leave us alone to search for Him? Yes. Read Psalms and see how David did it.
Does that mean God will always just be so far away, I have to cry like David? Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

You are breathing aren't you? God gives you breath.
You are with a beating heart right? God gives you life.

There are many things around us that God is doing and speaking to us, but we can't see or understand it.

If you are hurting, and if you are doubting, Jesus said in Matthew 11:28-30 "Come unto me all you that are heavy burden and laden and will give you rest"

This means real prayer, crying to God, waiting on God for His answers, and hearing his already answered questions you have found only in the Bible. This how it works, I find.
Please explain to me what is cultish about the Jehovah's Witnesses, I have sat down with them and see no signs of cult behavior, when I hear the word cult I think of Jim Jones and more recently David Koresh where these people actually live on compounds and are not allowed to leave them, or see their family members that live outside of the compound, and there is always sexual abuse in these compounds, I see no evidence of this with Jehovah's Witnesses.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I stopped praying and reading the Bible because...

There is no good reason to stop doing these two vital things if you’re able to.

there are so many, SO MANY occultic false ways to pray and use the Bible, it's too much of a risk

There is only one way to use the Bible:

By receiving its precepts and promises with a mind to be changed by it.

is there any way to recover from this?

Praying and reading the holy scriptures in the manner I explained. I recommend the King James Bible.

i'm mentally disabled and have a very hard time doing things the way i know is right.

“Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.” (Proverbs 3:5-6)

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I stopped praying and reading the Bible because...there are so many, SO MANY occultic false ways to pray and use the Bible, it's too much of a risk for me. For ages before i quit, i would almost, if not ALWAYS fall into these occult ways of doing it, even if it was always an accident. I can't risk that, so i stopped. is there any way to recover from this? i'm mentally disabled and have a very hard time doing things the way i know is right.
Could you explain the "occult way" of praying and reading the Bible? What exactly do you mean by that?

Last edited:

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One can use a compass incorrectly, but this doesn't mean that the compass itself is unreliable. Likewise, just because one can use the Bible incorrectly, doesn't mean that the Bible itself is unreliable.

There is a way to recover. It is okay to set aside the Bible and prayer for a short time until you get things sorted out. Remember, we are following a person, Jesus Christ. The way to recover is to follow him. From what I have witnessed, mental disability is no obstacle to the important things such as love, kindness, generosity, charity, and such things. To follow Jesus, find ways to help others; look for moments to be kind to others; find it in your heart to forgive others; spend time listening to others.

When you choose to start praying again, make your prayers short. Pray something like, "Father, thank you for my life." Always give thanks. And look for opportunities to love others, forget about following other teachers. Just focus on following Jesus. Jesus said, "I am doing what I see my father doing." Have this same attitude. "I am doing what I see Jesus doing; loving others, being kind, being patient, being generous, remaining humble."

Forgive others.

Reactions: marks and Jim B