Why is Church so Boring?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Craig19

Apr 26, 2008
Lol sometimes its fun being young and ignorant. I always try and remember that I am only 19 but sometimes I do get lost. Thx for helping me right marksman.I would just like to say that I understand what you are saying and I agree with you. My statement about the churches was perhaps phrased wrong I did not mean it to say what you understood it to say. I think our views are the same it was just me getting ahead of myself and not explaining correctly.I was not trying to judge anyone, all I was trying to say is we should stop bringing people down who have nice things, and say they are not from God. What they have done and what they went through has nothing to do with us. I still believe God is capable of giving us a nice life(which could be different for everyone) I just do not like it when people who have gone through more hard times than any of us get judged because when things start going there way because they trusted in God we say they are preaching lies.Tanks a lot for the comments marksman they have reasured me what I have been praying for, for about a month. I still believe I will go to America, but not soon,For now my work lies here. The planting of churches is something I needed to hear so thanks for your maturaty in Christ and setting me straight when I go wrong.I will defnitally start giving up 1 day a week. Its just my circumstances are not always perfect for doing these things my parents do not always understand and people feel I am wasting my talents. But I will presevere and use it to grow in faith.Thanks again marksmanGod blees

everlastinglife

May 4, 2008
(RaddSpencer;47242)
Ok, my sister and I are going to a Methodist Church. My sister loves it, but it bores me to tears. I mean, could it kill these people to have modern music (loose the organ bub XD).Its a method, its all structured. theres no room for the spirit to move there.Anyway, my sister is always shoving a hymnal in front of my face during the service (she treats me like a little kid in church even though I am 3 years older than her). I have to admit, hymns are boring. They put me to sleep. Why does church have to be so boring? Why can't it be exciting and fun? And another thing,I dont know about fun, but it should contain meat for you to develope.Why am I the only 20 year old guy in this church (that isn't henpecked --- aka married).
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I feel like all of us young guys are in a prison or something when we go to church (or a mall --- which ever comes first).Any Thoughts?(btw, this isn't a Methodist only thing. Every church in my town is this way)
People get content, they forget we are disciples!! We have the ministry of reconciliation, we must minister.

His By Grace

Dec 28, 2007
marksman, I'm so glad you're able to look within someone and past their words to see heart intent, for that truly is a gift. And to also put words into someone else's mouth when you don't have a puppet and you're not a ventriloquist (Or you might be- let me not assume), now that takes talent too. So, I will just say to you, whatever you would like to believe, if it makes you feel better about yourself and others, go for it.I don't like engaging in conversation with people who "think" they know what someone else thinks/feels and is willing to pronounce a wrong or right judgement on them.So, I'm done discussing anything with you until the conversation can be on grounds of mutual respect.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Dear His by Grace,I have no idea what you are talking about!! Your post is too cryptic for me.

His By Grace

Dec 28, 2007
Well, I had an off day yesterday. I may have responded to something that wasn't even meant for me. I want to apologize because I broke my own rule. When I get upset, I need to wait before responding. I am a migraine sufferer and when I saw my mail and that I had a message from Christianity Board, I read into what was posted and took it personally without prayer or thought. Anyway, I do feel bad about it, and I'm not wanting any bad feelings between you, me, or anyone else. I just need to stay off of the site when having a bad day. So... I'll bow out now and check things out later. Forgive me, please, will you?

RaddSpencer

Mar 28, 2008
(His By Grace;49759)
Well, I had an off day yesterday. I may have responded to something that wasn't even meant for me. I want to apologize because I broke my own rule. When I get upset, I need to wait before responding. I am a migraine sufferer and when I saw my mail and that I had a message from Christianity Board, I read into what was posted and took it personally without prayer or thought. Anyway, I do feel bad about it, and I'm not wanting any bad feelings between you, me, or anyone else. I just need to stay off of the site when having a bad day. So... I'll bow out now and check things out later. Forgive me, please, will you?
I don't care if you had a bad day, I still think you are a kind person
biggrin.gif

His By Grace

Dec 28, 2007
You both are very sweet. I did let my emotions rule, though, and I know better. I get so disappointed in myself sometimes. I think of Romans 7 and it encourages me. If Paul had a hard time doing the right things and avoiding the wrong things, then I surely will too. Thanks for the words that build up instead of tearing down. I needed that. And, by the way, pray for me b/c I have had a lot of headaches lately! Stress, I guess, with taking care of an aging mother and trying to keep family peace. It seems that everyone calls on me and I don't have the answers. That's what I like about my brothers and sisters from church and here. I have someone I can talk to and know that I'm being covered in prayer. I need to lay my burdens at the Lord's feet and not pick them back up. Anyway, I hope you all have those you can count on when the going gets tough. That's what the family of God is for.

Learning

Dec 12, 2007
It is sad that there aren't more services geared up for younger or more up beat people. It wouldn't hurt to have fast paced music and a pastor with a sense of humor.

bigape

May 22, 2008
Hi RaddSpencer Church isn’t suppose to be entertaining; It’s like coming to the dinner table, you go there to be fed(Spiritually). 1 Corinthians 1:18 "For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God." Church is a powerful place, when God’s Word is being preached!

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
His by Grace, here is tip that might help with your headaches. It was given to me by my daughter who seems to understand these things. Try drinking more fluid. I used to get headaches and she told me it was because I was dehydrated and drinking fluids would prevent that.What is church? is a good question and draws a lot of passionate responses. Perhaps we should start a thread asking that question?

Gareth

May 27, 2008
I don't see why there is such a strong stigma against churches such as the ones the OP referred to. I personally have been to both more traditional (my local Anglican Church) and a friends Pentecostal Church. I personally prefer the Anglican Church, due to the structure the format, the tradition, and the way that they teach the Word. It's something that has been based on these traditions since the time of the Apostles, and there is a strong community in the parish also. It's clear the different denominational churches serve for people who wish to practise Christianity differently. I find this part of the strength of the faith. I prefer having an altar to sanctify the sacrament of the Eucharist, I prefer having the priests to wear their Vestments in order to keep the Altar holy. I prefer this far more to changing the Church to rock music etc to appease those who are there. That's just me, and there are many many more Christians like me.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I personally prefer the Anglican Church, due to the structure the format, the tradition, and the way that they teach the Word. It's something that has been based on these traditions since the time of the Apostles,
This is quite untrue as the Anglican church did not come into being until the middle ages in the UK. It was a result of the Catholic church refusing to grant King Henry VIII a divorce so he broke away from it and formed the Church of England (Anglican) with him as the head of it.
I prefer having an altar to sanctify the sacrament of the Eucharist, I prefer having the priests to wear their Vestments in order to keep the Altar holy. I prefer this far more to changing the Church to rock music etc to appease those who are there.
The real question is whether you want to build your church or the Kingdom of God? Jesus said he would build his church, he didn't ask us to. Our responsibility is to build the KoG. The easiest way to do that is to follow what the scripture teaches. In the NT church there were no altars, no sacraments, no priests, no rock music, no paid pastors or priests and no buildings.All these additions show that the institutional church is not the true church. That is made up of where two or three are gathered together in his name which needs no priest, altar or liturgy. There are true believers in the apostate church but the church itself does not have God's blessing.The NT church affected society and added converts to it daily. The apostate church does neither.

SealedEternal

Jan 6, 2008
(Gareth;50997)
It's clear the different denominational churches serve for people who wish to practise Christianity differently. I find this part of the strength of the faith.
It is true that the different denominational churches serve people who wish to practise Christianity differently. They each have a different Jesus, a different gospel, and a whole plethora of different doctrines, so that man may always find a "god" that suits himself. I don't believe that is part of the strength of the faith however, but is actually what destroys it. Jesus said that His true "Church" (ekklesia) is one body in unity, and therefore these contradictory so-called "Christian" religions aren't from Him.SealedEternal

Gareth

May 27, 2008
(marksman;51026)
This is quite untrue as the Anglican church did not come into being until the middle ages in the UK. It was a result of the Catholic church refusing to grant King Henry VIII a divorce so he broke away from it and formed the Church of England (Anglican) with him as the head of it.
I know the history, however the Church has Apostolic succession. Also, that isn't quite correct about what you said. The English Reformation started far before Henry VIII, he is only the one that legalised it. Ever heard of Tyndall, the man who translated the Bible into English. Cranmer the Archbishop of Canterbury, who was burnt to the stake for preaching that each should have access to the Bible for themselves. I have to say thank you for falling into the ignorance that many of those who criticise Anglicanism do.http://worldagenda.net/forum/vbtube_show.p...=tube&tubeid=13Watch this documentary on it, and you might understand the English Reformation better.You wouldn't be reading a Bible in English if it weren't for the English Reformation.(SealedEternal;51040)
It is true that the different denominational churches serve people who wish to practise Christianity differently. They each have a different Jesus, a different gospel, and a whole plethora of different doctrines, so that man may always find a "god" that suits himself. I don't believe that is part of the strength of the faith however, but is actually what destroys it. Jesus said that His true "Church" (ekklesia) is one body in unity, and therefore these contradictory so-called "Christian" religions aren't from Him.SealedEternal
How can you say that when Evangelical / non-denominational churches themselves broke away from mainline churches. All Christians have done this. Also I'd like for you to explain further how Anglicanism is contradictory to the words of Christ if you could.

winsome

Feb 15, 2008
(marksman;51026)
TIn the NT church there were no altars, no sacraments, no priests, no rock music, no paid pastors or priests and no buildings.
Actually there were altars, priests and sacraments.No rock music (not invented)No paid pastors or priests - well Paul said he was entitled to be paid, otherwise we don't know how they supported themselves.No buildings - dangerous to have any when you are being persecuted!

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I know the history, however the Church has Apostolic succession.
It is impossible for a church started in the UK in the middle ages to have apostolic succession.
Actually there were altars, priests and sacraments.
Not in the new Testament Church. These started when Constantine legalised christianity in the third century. I have consulted over 40 authors on this subject and they all agree on this fact.
No paid pastors or priests - well Paul said he was entitled to be paid, otherwise we don't know how they supported themselves.
Paul was not a pastor or priest as those terms were unknown in the new Testament church as the clergy/laity divide did not exist.Paul was an apostle and either travelled to various locations to teach the gospel and start churches or travelled back to the churches he had established to encourage and teach them. While he was travelling he received support but when he put down roots (he often stayed for long periods of time) he supported himself making tents and those who travelled with him.It is all there in my website http://churchalive66.googlepages.com This took me 12 months to compile and I consulted 40 other authors in the process.
Also, that isn't quite correct about what you said. The English Reformation started far before Henry VIII, he is only the one that legalised it.
I made no comment about the reformation, only about how the Anglican church came about.
Also I'd like for you to explain further how Anglicanism is contradictory to the words of Christ if you could.
There are 35,000 denominatons and Anglicanism is only one of them. Most writers who are addressing the modern world situation and the churches place in it agree that one of the main barriers to the church fulfilling its mission is that it is so divided through denominations.Surveys have been done and one of the complaints by unbelievers is the fact that the churches can't agree with each other, so why should they join them. T.D. Jakes who is recognised by his peers as the USAs greatest preacher says that denominatons are spiritual racism. if you are not like me I won't have anything to do with you. We have a major organisation here that has been trying for 10 years to get ministers to talk to each other. That should not be necessary especially as the real enemy is not each other it is Satan, but while we are fighting each other, Satan is having a field day. Jesus prayed that we would be one so anything that divides us is not of God.In the new testament church, there was only one church in each town. The church at Corinth, The church at Phillipi etc. In his letter to the Corinthian church, Paul condemned division.1Co 1:12 But I say this, that every one of you says, I am of Paul, and I of Apollos, and I of Cephas, and I of Christ. 1Co 1:13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you, or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Also I'd like for you to explain further how Anglicanism is contradictory to the words of Christ if you could.
Today's news is that an Anglican church in England has just 'married' two homosexuals, one of whom is the priest at the church. This is despite their Archbishop saying that they were not to do that and despite the fact that the scriptures forbid any sex outside of marriage for the believer.

Jackie D

Mar 15, 2008
(RaddSpencer;47242)
Ok, my sister and I are going to a Methodist Church. My sister loves it, but it bores me to tears. I mean, could it kill these people to have modern music (loose the organ bub XD).Anyway, my sister is always shoving a hymnal in front of my face during the service (she treats me like a little kid in church even though I am 3 years older than her). I have to admit, hymns are boring. They put me to sleep. Why does church have to be so boring? Why can't it be exciting and fun? And another thing,Why am I the only 20 year old guy in this church (that isn't henpecked --- aka married).
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I feel like all of us young guys are in a prison or something when we go to church (or a mall --- which ever comes first).Any Thoughts?(btw, this isn't a Methodist only thing. Every church in my town is this way)
you think you got it bad? Think about the poor guy who fell asleep sitting in a window and fell from the third loft and thought to be dead told in Acts 3...I doubt they were listening to any rockin the house down gospel tunes during that service!!!! LOL...I wonder, was coming together to worship and learn the word of God meant to be for our entertainment?.......

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
An interesting comment Jackie. Today most churches seem to fall into one of two catagories. The first is to be relevant, those of the electronic rock music type and which seems to attract the young and the second is the "we have always done it this way" group that sees change as denying the essentials of the faith. These primarily attract the older generation.From a NT perspective both are wrong. The NT Church met in homes primarily, never in purpose built buildings. The gatherings, they weren't meetings, was around a meal primarily, and they taught the aposltes doctrine, not someone standing up at the front but in a conversational manner, they ate together, they fellowshipped and prayed together.These meetings were dynamic because everyone was able to contribute to what was going on. There were no select few telling the rest what to do, apart from the apostles sharing wiht them Jesus teaching.As they were Jews initially, they would have been brought up on the synagogue model where those listening could interject, ask questions or comment. A monologue was unknown.Later as we see in the gentile Corinthian church, occasionally they came together to edify one another through the gifts of the spirit such as prophecy, words of wisdom and knowledge, healing etc. At no stage did the church meet every Sunday morning for fellowship. It was either every day in the homes or occasionally to edify one another spiritually. When they weren't doing that they were out spreading the good news of the gospel or performing miracles. When you see such a dynamic, free flowing and interactive experience like this, most of what happens today is quite boring. Having experienced NT church life myself, I can tell you now that it leaves the rest for dead whether it is electronic rock or organ hymns.