Why is contraception against God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

arunangelo

Aug 22, 2009
Omaha
surrendersacrifice.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Conjugal union physiologically is a reproductive act. Therefore, when contraception is used, it frustrates the physiological purpose of the act. It is similar to eating food, while putting a barrier in the stomach so that the nutritive value of the food is eliminated. Those who use it, therefore, abuse their bodies. Furthermore, by going against the natural physiology, they are going against the creator of the physiology. Openness to procreation is love because it involves giving of one self. Therefore, contraception removes love from conjugal act; making it an act of pure pleasure and participants of it objects to derive pleasure from. It is, therefore, harmful to the love relationship between husband and wife. It is therefore no surprise that after the popularization of contraception divorce took a steep rise. In addition since the aim of contraception is to prevent another human being from being formed, it is an anti-human act. It, therefore, degrades the respect we have for human life. This has resulted in increase in incidence of abortion, child abuse and infanticide. It is, therefore, no surprise that in the scriptures a contraceptive act was considered deadly in the eyes of God (Gen.38: 8-10).

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Christian Church was against contraception during the first part of the last century. The Catholic Church is one of the only Churches to remain consistently against it.

martinlawrencescott

Servant Prince
Apr 6, 2011
Ventura, California
I like to take the extreme pro-life stance on this subject. People should start getting married right out of puberty. Just think: every year, every month, every day, every second a woman isn't pregnant, is one year, one month, one day, one crucial ordained moment a new, soon to be God-fearing creation, is neglected the right to live and receive love from God.

Think how many godly Christian men and women don't exist today because Christian families aren't being supported by their church to mass produce an army for the kingdom of God?? I think it is a very valid point that this is how women prove their faithfulness to God in this life by being saved through childbirth. Men therefore save their wives by encouraging them to continue to do what God created them to do! Not doing so is akin to murder! And murderers go where? I mean, the next logical leap is that those who don't do this were never born to begin with!

I mean, doesn't that make reasonable sense?

In conclusion,

Start getting busy everyone.

Please don't take me seriously.;)

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
Conjugal union physiologically is a reproductive act. Therefore, when contraception is used, it frustrates the physiological purpose of the act. It is similar to eating food, while putting a barrier in the stomach so that the nutritive value of the food is eliminated. Those who use it, therefore, abuse their bodies. Furthermore, by going against the natural physiology, they are going against the creator of the physiology. Openness to procreation is love because it involves giving of one self. Therefore, contraception removes love from conjugal act; making it an act of pure pleasure and participants of it objects to derive pleasure from. It is, therefore, harmful to the love relationship between husband and wife. It is therefore no surprise that after the popularization of contraception divorce took a steep rise. In addition since the aim of contraception is to prevent another human being from being formed, it is an anti-human act. It, therefore, degrades the respect we have for human life. This has resulted in increase in incidence of abortion, child abuse and infanticide. It is, therefore, no surprise that in the scriptures a contraceptive act was considered deadly in the eyes of God (Gen.38: 8-10).

In the mouth of two or more witnesses let every matter be established. I think you have taken a leap too far. Sex was created for pleasure as well as recreation. Why else do we enjoy it so much?! God intended for us to enjoy it. How in the world could it be anti-human if nothing has been conceived? Does that mean if you don't marry, it's anti-human?! God help us! Contraception is NOT against God. Abortion, however, is the killing of an unborn baby. That baby is already a human. Different story.

Jobeliano

Nov 27, 2010
Muntinlupa, Philippines
Yeah I think contraception is not bad. I just all based this on my opinion so feel free to ignore me. In my country, contraceptions are not allowed by the catholic church, and you know what happens? There are many teenagers here who are already pregnant. And the worst part is the future of that child is uncertain. Now only if that contraceptives are there, this would have been prevented.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
The Christian Church was against contraception during the first part of the last century. The Catholic Church is one of the only Churches to remain consistently against it.

-- True. To the point of calling it a sin.

That's right, according to the Catholic church a husband and wife both risk their salvation if she is on the pill or he uses a condom.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
-- True. To the point of calling it a sin.

That's right, according to the Catholic church a husband and wife both risk their salvation if she is on the pill or he uses a condom.

There are many exceptions depending on the circumstances.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
True. There are a number of circumstances.

For instance, if the Birth Control helps ensure the health of the mother because a pregnancy could be life threatening or the doctor feels the patient's period needs to be regulated for medical reasons, or a medication she is taking greatly increases the chance of birth defects in the child... (I am going from memory and I am sure there are more).

But if contraception is just because you don't want to hear the pitter patter of little feet just yet - even though you are married - then you are committing a sin.
And if things are going well, you are committing that sin over and over...;)

However,
lf you want to enjoy regular sex with your spouse, you can either use the 'rhythm method ' (and being number seven of nine kids of a mother who tried that 'religiously' I can assure you it doesn't always work), or obstain all together.

But if you are married and you use condoms, the Pill, etc. then - according to the Catholic church - your salvation is in danger.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True. There are a number of circumstances.

For instance, if the Birth Control helps ensure the health of the mother because a pregnancy could be life threatening or the doctor feels the patient's period needs to be regulated for medical reasons, or a medication she is taking greatly increases the chance of birth defects in the child... (I am going from memory and I am sure there are more).

But if contraception is just because you don't want to hear the pitter patter of little feet just yet - even though you are married - then you are committing a sin.
And if things are going well, you are committing that sin over and over...;)

However,
lf you want to enjoy regular sex with your spouse, you can either use the 'rhythm method ' (and being number seven of nine kids of a mother who tried that 'religiously' I can assure you it doesn't always work), or obstain all together.

But if you are married and you use condoms, the Pill, etc. then - according to the Catholic church - your salvation is in danger.

The catholic Church is consistent on it's stance on life.......I agree it is inconvenient. I think it is important to remember that the Catholic Church also recognizes that ideals can be insufficient when dealing with compounded evil. For example, abstinence and fidelity are important, but if people are not willing to do either, using a condom is less evil than spreading a deadly disease. The Pope recently commented on this idea.

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
My perception would be that the best way to grow your religion would be to have more kids... since most of my friends associate themselves with the religion of their parents...

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
My perception would be that the best way to grow your religion would be to have more kids... since most of my friends associate themselves with the religion of their parents...

I don't think that really works. Very few of the kids who grow up in churches actually stay there. Contraceptives are fine to use if you are a married couple and it actually stops conception, not after conception.

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
Really? I guess we have different experiences... even though my friends might not go to the same church as their parents... you look at most of my friends facebook pages and their religion will be what they're parents are... but maybe the people you know are different...

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
I just looked into for a minute on wikipedia and I do like the heart of what this pope guy says about it... ultimately it sounds like his intentions are good... and he wants people to recognize sex for what it is... two people becoming one... and to hold that in higher regards... and yes... I see his point...

"Responsible men can become more deeply convinced of the truth of the doctrine laid down by the Church on this issue if they reflect on the consequences of methods and plans for artificial birth control. Let them first consider how easily this course of action could open wide the way for marital infidelity and a general lowering of moral standards. Not much experience is needed to be fully aware of human weakness and to understand that human beings—and especially the young, who are so exposed to temptation—need incentives to keep the moral law, and it is an evil thing to make it easy for them to break that law. Another effect that gives cause for alarm is that a man who grows accustomed to the use of contraceptive methods may forget the reverence due to a woman, and, disregarding her physical and emotional equilibrium, reduce her to being a mere instrument for the satisfaction of his own desires, no longer considering her as his partner whom he should surround with care and affection."

But I also don't agree that using birth control equals everything this guy says... I mean there's all kinds of men that get women pregnant because they not only see them as a body to bang but they don't really care about whether they give them a disease or create an unwanted child... so ultimately I don't see it as people needing to not use contraception... but people need to reevaluate their ideas on sex... hold it in higher regards... and basically love one another... that's really the only solution... as Jesus taught...

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Humanae Vitae

A brilliant piece of idealism.........not very practical for this post-Christian era, marked by overpopulation, disease, and shifting morality. Ideals are good and right, but a measure of flexibility in application is necessary to avoid legalism.

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
Yeah... it's a tough one... kind of goes along with the same topic as sex education in schools... do you not teach kids about using contraception and the danger of disease, etc... because it might make kids feel like sex is OK... or do we not teach kids and they find out about sex through movies and TV and end up with some STD or pregnant by some kook who doesn't care about them...

Kind of one of those damned if we do damned if we don't things... the only answer is really teaching kids Jesus... and I don't see the world doing that ever... haha... so I guess it's up to us living in the light for the world to see...

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah... it's a tough one... kind of goes along with the same topic as sex education in schools... do you not teach kids about using contraception and the danger of disease, etc... because it might make kids feel like sex is OK... or do we not teach kids and they find out about sex through movies and TV and end up with some STD or pregnant by some kook who doesn't care about them...

Kind of one of those damned if we do damned if we don't things... the only answer is really teaching kids Jesus... and I don't see the world doing that ever... haha... so I guess it's up to us living in the light for the world to see...

I have to believe that children who are taught the truth at home are going to acquire at least some immunity against the morality of the world and the meager methods schools use to protect against it. Children who are not taught the truth at home, need sex education and all the other inadequate programs offered at school - it is all they have.

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
I have to believe that children who are taught the truth at home are going to acquire at least some immunity against the morality of the world and the meager methods schools use to protect against it. Children who are not taught the truth at home, need sex education and all the other inadequate programs offered at school - it is all they have.

I don't know what sex ed they teach in the USA. I do know that the kids of Australia have absolutely NO need to be taught about it. I have never been to a public school, but from what I hear, read, and see, sex ed here covers everything, including vigorous indoctrination that it's fine to sleep around, and it doesnt matter who with!

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
The catholic Church is consistent on it's stance on life.......I agree it is inconvenient.

-- The Catholic church telling you that if you and your spouse use any type of contraception in a manner not approved by the church then your salvation is in danger....

....is a little bit more than "inconvenient."

Especially when - and this seems to be an ongoing theme - the church has nothing but man-made opinion to base this belief on.

But the church goes even further than that. They have even banned the practice of oral sex between a husband and a wife.

And no, they aren't just talking about banning the practice to completion because it prevents pregnancy, but as a foreplay activity before completing the regular sex act.

My sister summed it up best after her mandatory "marraige counseling" with the priest: "Why is it that those who can't play the game feel most qualified to make the rules?"

Wisdom indeed.