Why many people think they've already saved?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hatedbyall said:
are you saying it is not true that sin after knowing Jesus is worse than sinning b4 ?? Because the Bible says otherwise. In fact there is a psg that many think says one is eternally lost if sinning after having known the Holy Spirit.

i wish i could recall where it is, but we can google it. It says something about how it is impossible to be restored again.. (the catholic Church which has the right to interpret Scirpture, as that is His Church) does not say this is speaking of the unforgivable sin, only that.. OK, i can't speak for the Church about this, but in any case, what i can say w/ certainty is that the Church says the only unforgivable sin is rejecting Jesus until the very end. Sadly, many make that I-absolutely-reject-You-Jesus decision long b4 death, which makes it "impossible" to repent of it at the time of death or near death

:blink:

What you are referring to IS the unpardonable sin where the Pharisees said that Jesus gets His power from an unclean spirit, that is from Satan, instead of from the Holy Spirit.

Mark 2:28-30 reads:

Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:
29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:
30 Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.

The 'HE' in verse 30 refers to Jesus.

I don't believe this unpardonable sin is being committed by anyone today as it is strictly the sin of the Pharisees alone.

To God Be The Glory

Samael

Mar 10, 2016
in fairness the catholic church ripped out and burned multiple pages of your holy book. ever hear the tale of Lilith first wife of Adam? no that's because almost all of it was destroyed. as for the savior part I remember when god smited down a man for catching the ark from falling let alone just blindly forgiving them

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
hatedbyall said:
are you saying it is not true that sin after knowing Jesus is worse than sinning b4 ?? Because the Bible says otherwise. In fact there is a psg that many think says one is eternally lost if sinning after having known the Holy Spirit.
i wish i could recall where it is, but we can google it. It says something about how it is impossible to be restored again.. (the catholic Church which has the right to interpret Scirpture, as that is His Church) does not say this is speaking of the unforgivable sin, only that.. OK, i can't speak for the Church about this, but in any case, what i can say w/ certainty is that the Church says the only unforgivable sin is rejecting Jesus until the very end. Sadly, many make that I-absolutely-reject-You-Jesus decision long b4 death, which makes it "impossible" to repent of it at the time of death or near death
Sin is sin, and it doesn't matter whether one sins before they receive Jesus as their Savior or after. Jesus did not die for the saved he also didn't die for sinners. Jesus died for sins because that is what the law required. Rom 6:10 & 1Cor 15:3.
Jesus himself said that there is only one sin that cannot be forgiven and that would be the sin of blaspheming the Holy Spirit. That means that one knowingly attributes the works of the Holy Spirit to Satan. This is what Jesus warned about when the Pharisees accused him of being the devil by healing the demon-possessed blind mute in Matthew 12:22-37. Jesus also said in the scripture that speaking against him could be forgiven so your assessment of what unforgivable sin is, is wrong, as Jesus clearly states in this section of scripture. Even a deathbed confession of Jesus, assures salvation, so in essence it's never too late until a person is actually dead.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Samael said:
in fairness the catholic church ripped out and burned multiple pages of your holy book. ever hear the tale of Lilith first wife of Adam? no that's because almost all of it was destroyed. as for the savior part I remember when god smited down a man for catching the ark from falling let alone just blindly forgiving them
We prefer facts here, not unsupported assertions. The RCC did no such and there is a big difference between the old Covenant and the New Covenant. Perhaps you ought to read the Bible before making unsubstantiated claims?

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
Jun2u said:
What you are referring to IS the unpardonable sin where the Pharisees said that Jesus gets His power from an unclean spirit, that is from Satan, instead of from the Holy Spirit.

Mark 2:28-30 reads:

Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:
29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:
30 Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.

The 'HE' in verse 30 refers to Jesus.

I don't believe this unpardonable sin is being committed by anyone today as it is strictly the sin of the Pharisees alone.

To God Be The Glory
no one can adequately define "sin against the Holy Spirit"--meaning the kind of blashphemy against the HS that is absolutely unforgivable

The unforgivable sin is rejecting salvation, living a lie until the very end of your life, the lie that you don't need to be saved/forgiven.

And then it has to be until the very end. Also: Those who say they dont need forgiveness, dont need Jesus, KNOW they are LYING. And so that is blashphemy of the HS, knowingly/deliberately holding onto such a lie until the very end, making a total commitment to it

The confusion surrounding this issue is yet another example of why we need a Church to infallibly interpret the Word of God (I may have some concerns about the Catholic Church, but it is the Church Christ founded, something those of us who have studied history know)

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The confusion surrounding this issue is yet another example of why we need a Church to infallibly interpret the Word of God (I may have some concerns about the Catholic Church, but it is the Church Christ founded, something those of us who have studied history know)
That is why Jesus sent the Holy Spirirt so we wouldnt have to put up with mans lies. As for fruit look at your churchs history.

Mat 7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
Mat 7:18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
Mat 7:19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
Mat 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
mjrhealth said:

Please dont start this foolish argument, it has no right at all, none, not one. It is not His church. Lets leave it at that.
who says? you?

are you infallible?

?

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
mjrhealth said:
That is why Jesus sent the Holy Spirirt so we wouldnt have to put up with mans lies. As for fruit look at your churchs history.

Mat 7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
Mat 7:18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
Mat 7:19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
Mat 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
ScaliaFan said:
well, we know that the Catholic Church brings forth good fruit (or i know this, anyway) b/c I became a serious Christian only after--well, shall we say, after doing certain things Catholics do. I know i would not be where I am today at spiritually if not for the RCC (and you don't even want to know where i was before then!). There are many serious problems in the Church but Jesus promised to never abandon it. He said that the very gates of Hell would not prevail against It