Why some dislike towards theologians/textual critics?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, anytime someone places Moses's comment on the table, I always raise a David or Solomon in response. ;)

Wormwood, first off, there is a reason you stuck out for being on the team here and post #10 is pretty much the logic in a nutshell. Well said. I agree heartily with what you said there and folks you'd be very wise to pay attention to what he said. I personally think he nails what the Bible says on this subject.

With that said, I see a tendency to split the Bible up to say one thing or the other. Following on to what Wormwood said earlier, there are a couple points I want to make. Just because Moses and Paul said they were not eloquent or plain spoken, does not necessarily equate to this being an absolutist notion that Moses was not at all eloquent nor that Paul only spoke simple plain language. Paul himself was quite the scholar, having studied under the preeminent scholar of his day, Gamliel. Moses benefited from the life in the elite upper class of his day, and it followed that he would have had excellent schooling and probably knew a thing or two in a society that would have taught rhetoric, etc.

It is ultimately a matter of the heart. The reason I mentioned David and Solomon earlier relates to their obvious gifting in writing poetry and wisdom literature. They are brilliant eloquent at the inspiration of God.

Is there is a reoccurring theme of mocking an intellectual spirit on this message board? Somewhat. I think it comes from the frustration of finding people writing without thought, subscribing to ideas that have no real basis in scripture; or, others teaching ungodly ideas while referencing scripture to support their reasoning. God gave us brilliant minds and that truly was a gift; yet, history dictates that we have used it for our own destruction.
I don't want to gloss over this, because I think it an important point. There was a full-court press in the early part of last century (and the centuries prior) in terms of Modernist thought that came into Christianity.

The reaction to this was what is called fundamentalism. The first fundamentalists were certainly kin to modern fundamentalists, but they were a bit more cultured and perhaps not quite so hostile in at least some ways. There are some excellent resources out there on this movement, so I won't rehash, but fundamentalism went from being more of a strain of Christian intellectualism to a bunker mentality.

At issue is the entire Biblical hermeneutic. In previous eras, the argument had been over viewing Scripture through the lens of tradition. The Enlightenment brought the concept of viewing Scripture through reason. (Note that I skipped the in between which would have been the Reformation - which I view as a hybrid of emerging reason but still rooted in tradition.)

Now, we have the Bible as viewed through science. It's a question of authority because suddenly things are being rewritten. Thus, we have the notion of the stories in the Bible being mythic or exaggeration, the concept of Jesus not performing miracles, etc. All of these ideas germinated through reason and science, with the lens of one or both being used to view Scripture.

I am not here to declare science and reason evil, but we should be careful. Genesis is not a science textbook. What I mean by this statement, is that there are currently inexplicable little details that are not empirical and observable detail. There are precise and imprecise statements. There are also little nuggets and nuances of things like the word yowm, for day, being used for day (Genesis 1:8), the daylight portion of the day (Genesis 1:14) and then for a period of time (Genesis 2:4) that looks to mean more than a single day.

At the same time, I caution the urge to read the Bible entirely through the lens of science. If we have an unlimited deity, chances are he will break down the laws of nature as he sees fit to accomplish something from time to time. At the very least, this would not be out of character and serves as the basis for why we are not deists or agnostics.

At the end of the day, the fundamentalists and the scientists/scholars probably all have some things right and some things wrong.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
snr5557 said:
It's just that I felt a "vibe" for lack of a better term, that some people viewed intellectuals as bad, which I just don't understand.

I just want people to know I'm not saying this to point fingers or be antagonistic, I'm just curious is all.
Lets say you were not interested in marriage. Then one-day you met a woman that jumped in front of a bullet for you. Touched by this you propose and marry her.

Now, lets say your parents and friends all object because she is ugly, poor and a bit mad. But yet you see her as attractive, rich and sane because you saw / experienced her self sacrifice. You see her heart whilst others are too blind. They see turning left cheek as mad, poverty as poor and facial features as ugly.

So, you are stuck in a position where your intelligent friends and family are simply not intelligent to you. This position only magnifies as you grow closer to her.

Now every Christian KNOWS Jesus 1 Cor 12:3; Matt 16:16-17, 1 Cor 2:17, Gal 2:20. Every Christian KNOWS scripture is truth Rom 10:17, John 1:1, 2 Pet 1:21, 2 Tim 3:16.

So when we hear ''intellectuals'' make conflicting claims...we can be forgiven for giving off 'vibes' ;) ...surely?

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
KingJ,

I think if you are going to make an accuasation against an entire classification of Christians such as "intellectuals" you need to be more specific. Are you suggesting it is impossible to be intellectual and "love" Jesus? Is our faith merely based in emotional response? We are called to love God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength. I dont think we should suggest that one cannot be intellectual and properly and faithfully love Jesus as the same time. You may not be proposing this, but your comments read this way.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
Wormwood said:
KingJ,

I think if you are going to make an accuasation against an entire classification of Christians such as "intellectuals" you need to be more specific. Are you suggesting it is impossible to be intellectual and "love" Jesus? Is our faith merely based in emotional response? We are called to love God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength. I dont think we should suggest that one cannot be intellectual and properly and faithfully love Jesus as the same time. You may not be proposing this, but your comments read this way.
Hi

No, not at all :). My reasoning was along 'the wisdom of the world is fooolishness to God'. The disciples were fisherman but Paul was a scholar. Both / all had a real encounter with God and preached at equal levels / knowledge / confidence / conviction. In my example my goal was to push the fact that unless we can jump in front of a bullet (true self sacrifice like James 1:27) / get married too Him (saved)...we are simply not with / do not know Him on any deep level ...that is needed to respect / be certain / confident in His word.

1 Cor 12:3 Therefore I want you to know that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus be cursed," and no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i think intellectuals are often judged by their doctine because that is where their interests lay, but i do not believe doctrinal correctness is the important part of our sanctification. The capacity for loving God and neighbor and the willingness to live it out is how we are known as Christians.