Why The Delay in Acts 8:5-24 To Be Saved?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Acts 8th chapter where Philip was casting out unclean spirits and healing the lame, the Samaritans in that area were being afflicted by Simon the sorceror with unclean spirits and Simon was an infamous highly regarded man in the area.

Acts 8:9 But there was a certain man, called Simon, which beforetime in the same city used sorcery, and bewitched the people of Samaria, giving out that himself was some great one:10 To whom they all gave heed, from the least to the greatest, saying, This man is the great power of God.11 And to him they had regard, because that of long time he had bewitched them with sorceries.12But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.13 Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.

So when Philip came in and did those wonderful things, the people were bewildered into following Philip as Simon was doing, believing BUT "wondering" in the "things" Philip was preaching about, thus becoming fans of Philip instead of Simon now; hence the gall of bitterness that was in Simon for taking the spotlight of the people away from him. That was why Peter & John had to come. The promise of the Holy Spirit could not come from Philip because of this "fan mentality" he had inadvertently got going. So even when Simon saw that Peter & John were laying hands for the people to receive the promise of the Holy Spirit to be saved, he was still looking at the people doing these miracles as the Samaritans were, only Simon thought he could buy that power which goes to show the necessity for God to lift the people's sights higher to the Lord and not to Philip nor Peter & John.

That was the reason for the delay.

It should be noted that until they had received the Spirit of Christ, they were none of His and thus not saved yet.

Romans 8:
9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If any one wonders why the promise of the Spirit could not have come by Philip unto the Samaritans, again, I refer to fanfare as all eyes were on Philip as even Simon believed and was water baptized and followed after Philip in bewilderment at the signs and wonders following Philip, but later it became obvious that Simon's focus was on Philip and then on Peter & John for these miracles and not on Jesus Christ when his heart was not right with him.

We know Philip learned from this when talking with the Ethiopian eunuch.

Acts 8:35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus. 36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? 37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. 38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him. 39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing. 40 But Philip was found at Azotus: and passing through he preached in all the cities, till he came to Caesarea.

Obviously the eunuch was saved as he went away rejoicing. No tongues sent as a sign that he had received Him at his salvation either.

Obviously, that was why Luke recorded the ministry of Philip earlier in that they believed in the things of the kingdom of heaven and the name of Jesus for when they were water baptized which was why Philip changed the way he minister by being specific before water baptism new believers after that.

Obviously, that was why Luke recorded the ministry of Philip earlier in the way they had believed in the "things of the kingdom of heaven and the name of Jesus " for when they were water baptized, but not believing that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. They believed about Him, but not really believing in Him when they were following Philip to see the miracles happening by him.

Acts 8:9 But there was a certain man, called Simon, which beforetime in the same city used sorcery, and bewitched the people of Samaria, giving out that himself was some great one:10 To whom they all gave heed, from the least to the greatest, saying, This man is the great power of God.11 And to him they had regard, because that of long time he had bewitched them with sorceries.12But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.13 Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.

So they were believing in the things of what Philip was preaching about, but still wondering about it as even Simon followed Philip in fanfare.

D

Dave L

I think they were saved and had the Holy Spirit. Because faith is a fruit of the Holy Spirit. But Luke seems to use Holy Spirit for the gifts of the Spirit. Tongues, prophecy etc. And besides the two outpourings, only the Apostles distributed the gifts through the laying on of their hands. This is why the gifts expired along with the Apostles. As Paul predicted in 1 Corinthians 13:8.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think they were saved and had the Holy Spirit. Because faith is a fruit of the Holy Spirit. But Luke seems to use Holy Spirit for the gifts of the Spirit. Tongues, prophecy etc. And besides the two outpourings, only the Apostles distributed the gifts through the laying on of their hands. This is why the gifts expired along with the Apostles. As Paul predicted in 1 Corinthians 13:8.

We've gone over this before.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control.

Faithfulness is a character trait of the Spirit, it is not the same as supernatural faith that operates for a purpose - to see healing, a tornado dissolve, etc.

Reactions: faithfulness
D

Dave L

We've gone over this before.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control.

Faithfulness is a character trait of the Spirit, it is not the same as supernatural faith.
Where's your proof?

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where's your proof?

You're kidding. Galatians 5:22-23.

Romans 10:17 Faith comes by hearing and hearing by a rhema of God. A rhema is a specific spoken word, and this verse is from God. The gift of supernatural faith accompanies a rhema and sees whatever is spoken to come to pass.

John 15:7 "If you abide in Me, and My rhema abides in you, you shall ask what you will and it shall come to pass.

This is how I always pray. I wait for God to TELL me what to pray, I pray it, and it comes to pass immediately.

Reactions: faithfulness
D

Dave L

You're kidding. Galatians 5:22-23.

Romans 10:17 Faith comes by hearing and hearing by a rhema of God. A rhema is a specific spoken word, and this verse is from God. The gift of supernatural faith accompanies a rhema and sees whatever is spoken to come to pass.

John 15:7 "If you abide in Me, and My rhema abides in you, you shall ask what you will and it shall come to pass.

This is how I always pray. I wait for God to TELL me what to pray, I pray it, and it comes to pass immediately.
Where does it say they are different????

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That was the reason for the delay.

It should be noted that until they had received the Spirit of Christ, they were none of His and thus not saved yet.

In reference to the Samaritans.

1. The Holy Spirit ONLY fell in Jerusalem, sovereignly. Acts 2
2. The Holy Spirit had to then go beyond Jerusalem through laying on of hands. Acts 8
3. The Holy Spirit was given to the Gentiles, sovereignly. Acts 10

Complete dispersal access.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The apostles did not distribute the gifts because they weren't theirs to give....the gifts belong to the Holy Spirit....and when a gift operates through someone it is under the anointing of the Holy Spirit and it IS the Holy Spirit manifesting that power through us....we are simply the vessels for Him to operate through.....people who try to operate a gift without the Holy Spirit are FALSE PROPHETS and False teachers.

D

Dave L

The apostles did not distribute the gifts because they weren't theirs to give....the gifts belong to the Holy Spirit....and when a gift operates through someone it is under the anointing of the Holy Spirit and it IS the Holy Spirit manifesting that power through us....we are simply the vessels for Him to operate through.....people who try to operate a gift without the Holy Spirit are FALSE PROPHETS and False teachers.
The only means of distribution in the NT wast through the two outpourings and through an apostle's hands. Scripture is silent on any other means of distribution. And the gifts ceased when the apostles died and the Book of Revelation was completed.

D

Dave L

Where do you get the idea faith is a gift of the Holy Spirit? Of the three, faith is a gift from the Father, and that only a measure of faith. Romans 12
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,” (Galatians 5:22)

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only means of distribution in the NT wast through the two outpourings and through an apostle's hands. Scripture is silent on any other means of distribution. And the gifts ceased when the apostles died and the Book of Revelation was completed.
The Holy Spirit is the one who anoints us with the gifts not the apostles.

D

Dave L

The Holy Spirit is the one who anoints us with the gifts not the apostles.
“Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost. And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles’ hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,” (Acts 8:17–18)

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost. And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles’ hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,” (Acts 8:17–18)
I won't debate this....I know what I have experienced and witnessed throughout my life and it is very real for today.

faithfulness

Aug 13, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I won't debate this....I know what I have experienced and witnessed throughout my life and it is very real for today.
I experienced the baptism of the Holy Spirit when I surrendered to Jesus in my living room, without visible hands, without knowing anything, but my knower knew that it wasn't me.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

As I already pointed out in #8 there were sovereign fillings of the Holy Spirit, and also by the laying on of hands. It is not down to a formula. It is a person.

D

Dave L

As I already pointed out in #8 there were sovereign fillings of the Holy Spirit, and also by the laying on of hands. It is not down to a formula. It is a person.
But scripture only shows two outpourings and an apostle's hands as a means for distributing the gifts.