Why the Law and the Commandments Have Been Abolished

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem with the Law is that people can't not keep it!!!!!
If nobody could keep the 10 Commandments, Jesus would not have taught it, obeyed it and expected His followers to obey it.

He taught it, obeyed it and expected all Christians to do the same.

And they kept it for up to 300 years after His death on the Cross until the Catholic church was instituted and changed everything.

Anyone who keeps the 10 Commandments and teaches others to do the same is considered greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Mt. 5:19.

Anyone whose righteousness does not exceed that of the hypocritical Pharisees of old, will in no way enter the kingdom. Mt. 5:20

The problem with that is that the Pharisees actually taught the 10 Commandments, they just didn't keep them. Today's Christians don't even do that. On the contrary, they teach NOT to keep the Commandments or else, by some crazy logic, God will send you to hell .... for not obeying Him, mind you.

Go figure.

Nobody knows their Bible. Hos. 6:4; 2 Thess. 2:10-11

Reactions: Ancient

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If nobody could keep the 10 Commandments, Jesus would not have taught it, obeyed it and expected His followers to obey it.

And they kept it for up to 300 years after His death on the Cross until the Catholic church was instituted and changed everything.

Anyone who keeps the 10 Commandments and teaches others to do the same is considered greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Mt. 5:19.

Anyone whose righteousness does not exceed that of the hypocritical Pharisees of old, will in no way enter the kingdom. Mt. 5:20

The problem with that is that the Pharisees actually taught the 10 Commandments, they just didn't keep them. Today's Christians don't even do that. On the contrary, they teach NOT to keep the Commandments or else, by some crazy logic, God will send you to hell .... for not obeying Him, mind you.

Go figure.

Under the New Covenant Christians are called to live by faith, faith in Christ and his Gospel, Romans 1:17. Not by laws, rules or commandments.

When Jesus died on the cross, God tore the veil that covered the "Holy of Holies" from the top to the bottom, Matthew 27:51. This signified the end of the Old Covenant, the law and the Jewish religion. Hebrews 8:13. Paul said, "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness for those that believe" Romans 10:4. Where there is no law, there is no sin, Romans 4:15. To be under the law or subject to the law is to be under the curse, Galatians 3:10.

• Love
Reactions: Ritajanice

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Go figure.

Paul said Gentile believers, who did not know the Law, qualified as "doers of the Law" (Romans 2:14, 15, 26, 27).

How did that happen if God expects Christians to serve Him by the Law?

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Under the New Covenant Christians are called to live by faith, faith in Christ and his Gospel, Romans 1:17. Not by laws, rules or commandments.

When Jesus died on the cross, God tore the veil that covered the "Holy of Holies" from the top to the bottom, Matthew 27:51. This signified the end of the Old Covenant, the law and the Jewish religion. Hebrews 8:13. Paul said, "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness for those that believe" Romans 10:4. Where there is no law, there is no sin, Romans 4:15. To be under the law or subject to the law is to be under the curse, Galatians 3:10.
Amen!!

Only the Living word of God stands...the rest is heresy.

Romans 8
Berean Standard BiblePar ▾
Walking by the Spirit
(Ezekiel 36:16–38; Galatians 5:16–26)
1Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.a2For in Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set youb free from the law of sin and death. 3For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful man, as an offering for sin.c He thus condemned sin in the flesh, 4so that the righteous standard of the law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
5Those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh; but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. 6The mind of the flesh is death, but the mind of the Spirit is life and peace,7because the mind of the flesh is hostile to God: It does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. 8Those controlled by the fleshd cannot please God.
9You, however, are controlled not by the flesh, but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. AND IF ANYONE DOES NOT HAVE THE SPIRIT OF CHRIST, HE DOES NOT BELONG TO CHRIST . 10But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alivee because of righteousness. 11And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the deadf will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit, who lives in you.
Heirs with Christ
12Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation, but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. 13For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. 14For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.
15For you did not receive a spirit of slavery that returns you to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!” 16The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. 17And if we are children, then we are heirs: heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ—if indeed we suffer with Him, so that we may also be glorified with Him.
Future Glory
(2 Corinthians 5:1–10)
18I consider that our present sufferings are not comparable to the glory that will be revealed in us. 19The creation waits in eager expectation for the revelation of the sons of God. 20For the creation was subjected to futility, not by its own will, but because of the One who subjected it, in hope 21that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God.
22We know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until the present time. 23Not only that, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. 24For in this hope we were saved; but hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he can already see? 25But if we hope for what we do not yet see, we wait for it patiently.
26In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know how we ought to pray, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groans too deep for words. 27And He who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.
God Works in All Things
(Ephesians 1:3–14)
28And we know that God works all things together for the good of those who love Him, who are called according to His purpose. 29For those God foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brothers. 30And those He predestined, He also called; those He called, He also justified; those He justified, He also glorified.
31What then shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32He who did not spare His own Son but gave Him up for us all, how will He not also, along with Him, freely give us all things? 33Who will bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. 34Who is there to condemn us? For Christ Jesus, who died, and more than that was raised to life, is at the right hand of God—and He is interceding for us.
More than Conquerors
(Psalm 44:1–26)
35Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or distress or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 36As it is written:
“For Your sake we face death all day long;
we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”g
37No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor principalities, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The OP is crazy by this logic Jesus abolished Himself. I don't think so.

Matt 5:18

Last time I looked heaven and earth are still here or else I am living in some weird and strange consciousness that is not of this world or galaxy.

Shalom (May you better understand the Bible from the original languages)

Reactions: Mink57

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The OP is crazy by this logic Jesus abolished Himself. I don't think so.

Matt 5:18

Last time I looked heaven and earth are still here or else I am living in some weird and strange consciousness that is not of this world or galaxy.

Shalom (May you better understand the Bible from the original languages)
To be under the law or subject to it is to be under a curse, Galatians 3:10. Worse yet to be under the law is to be under God's wrath, Romans 4:15. It appears to me that you are in serios trouble.

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
To be under the law or subject to it is to be under a curse, Galatians 3:10. Worse yet to be under the law is to be under God's wrath, Romans 4:15. It appears to me that you are in serios trouble.
Friend it is very important to understand culture, language and context. Do you understand Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic. You will find that your verses and the context you are using them in is not accurate. I myself use to have the same issues. However it is imperative to get meanings and understanding from the original languages and culture FIRST!!! Not from a modern-day Westernized perspective or modern English.

To make the claims and judgement of being in serious trouble reveals a level of spiritual immaturity, and self-righteousness. However one gets used to that after a while.

Paul declares the following

NKJ Romans 7:12 Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.

NKJ Romans 7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, "You shall not covet."

NKJ 1 Timothy 1:8 But we know that the law is good if one uses it lawfully,

Seems like you have some contradictions you need to reconcile. I have none as when the bible is understood in its original context meaning language and culture both the OT and the NT are in perfect harmony as you would expect THE WORD OF GOD to be.

To say the law is done away with is saying God makes mistakes and that His word is erroneous and cannot be trusted as infallible.

I will stick to what our Messiah says

Matt. 5:17-18 NKJ
17 "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.
18 "For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.

Last time I looked heaven and earth are still here!!! And before you say something like "See He fulfilled" fulfill does not mean do away with in any way, shape or form. But like stated above one needs to understand these words from the original languages and not an English meaning of these terms.

This will help

May the Holy Spirit bring conviction and tear away the veil, as He did for me.

Blessings and Shalom

Reactions: strepho and Mink57

strepho

Jan 31, 2023
Meriden
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew chapter 5:18 . Jesus came to fulfill the law, not destroy it

The old testament laws are still thier.
Murder
Adultery
Idolatry
Idol worship
False witness
Stealing
Lying
Honor your mother/father
Exodus chapter 20 to document.

Peter chapter 4 to document, judgement starts with house of God.

Thier are few ignorant brethren who are misleading people. They are not trained and qualified to plant seeds for God.

The blood ordinances were done away with. The Laws are still here.

False brethren go with satan into pit near future.
Documentation, Ezekiel chapter 13.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew chapter 5:18 . Jesus came to fulfill the law, not destroy it

The old testament laws are still thier.
Murder
Adultery
Idolatry
Idol worship
False witness
Stealing
Lying
Honor your mother/father
Exodus chapter 20 to document.

Peter chapter 4 to document, judgement starts with house of God.

Thier are few ignorant brethren who are misleading people. They are not trained and qualified to plant seeds for God.

The blood ordinances were done away with. The Laws are still here.

False brethren go with satan into pit near future.
Documentation, Ezekiel chapter 13.
"Christ is the end of the law for righteousness for those that believe" Romans 10:4. You apparently don't believe. To be under the law or subject to it is to be under the curse, Galatians 3:10. Worse yet, the law works God's wrath, Romans 4:15.

• Love

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Friend it is very important to understand culture, language and context. Do you understand Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic. You will find that your verses and the context you are using them in is not accurate. I myself use to have the same issues. However it is imperative to get meanings and understanding from the original languages and culture FIRST!!! Not from a modern-day Westernized perspective or modern English.

To make the claims and judgement of being in serious trouble reveals a level of spiritual immaturity, and self-righteousness. However one gets used to that after a while.

Paul declares the following

NKJ Romans 7:12 Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.

NKJ Romans 7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, "You shall not covet."

NKJ 1 Timothy 1:8 But we know that the law is good if one uses it lawfully,

Seems like you have some contradictions you need to reconcile. I have none as when the bible is understood in its original context meaning language and culture both the OT and the NT are in perfect harmony as you would expect THE WORD OF GOD to be.

To say the law is done away with is saying God makes mistakes and that His word is erroneous and cannot be trusted as infallible.

I will stick to what our Messiah says

Matt. 5:17-18 NKJ
17 "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.
18 "For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.

Last time I looked heaven and earth are still here!!! And before you say something like "See He fulfilled" fulfill does not mean do away with in any way, shape or form. But like stated above one needs to understand these words from the original languages and not an English meaning of these terms.

This will help

May the Holy Spirit bring conviction and tear away the veil, as He did for me.

Blessings and Shalom
Paul said that the law has been abolished, Ephesians 2:15. Jesus nailed it to his cross, Colossians 2:14. If you are still following the law, you are in serious trouble because, "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness for those that believe" Romans 10:4. To not believe this means that you are under the curse, Galatians 3:10.

• Love

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
"Christ is the end of the law for righteousness for those that believe" Romans 10:4. You apparently don't believe. To be under the law or subject to it is to be under the curse, Galatians 3:10. Worse yet, the law works God's wrath, Romans 4:15.
Again you need to understand the phrase "end of the law" from the original languages. Also the words law and grace in the original languages and not modern English with a 21st Century view. You are reading texts that are 2,000 years old my friend. These words don't mean what the English words mean.

Blessings

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Mink57

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Paul said that the law has been abolished, Ephesians 2:15. Jesus nailed it to his cross, Colossians 2:14. If you are still following the law, you are in serious trouble because, "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness for those that believe" Romans 10:4. To not believe this means that you are under the curse, Galatians 3:1

Paul said that the law has been abolished, Ephesians 2:15. Jesus nailed it to his cross, Colossians 2:14. If you are still following the law, you are in serious trouble because, "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness for those that believe" Romans 10:4. To not believe this means that you are under the curse, Galatians 3:10.
Friend again learn these words in their original context like I shared earlier Paul said the law is HOLY, JUST and GOOD. Hmmm

The law blesses. I don't keep the law for salvation or redemption that can only be found in Yeshua our Messiah's blood. I keep the law for the blessing.

One who advocates that it is abolished has no standards nor morals to live by, as that is what the law provides. I guess from your logic I can murder, worship idols, steal, commit adultery. Basically do whatever I want to do to you or anyone else without consequences.

That is not how the God of our Bibles want us to behave or live. I will go from His standards thanks. He says He never changes Malachi 3:6

Also my Master Yeshua also establishes that He is the same yesterday, today and forever Hebrews 13:8. He was and is from the beginning. I will stick to that as well. He is the Word.

The religious doctrine of the law being abolished is replacement theology, anti-Semitic, the doctrines of man and the doctrine of demons.

Blessings and Shalom

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Friend again learn these words in their original context like I shared earlier Paul said the law is HOLY, JUST and GOOD. Hmmm

The law blesses. I don't keep the law for salvation or redemption that can only be found in Yeshua our Messiah's blood. I keep the law for the blessing.

One who advocates that it is abolished has no standards nor morals to live by, as that is what the law provides. I guess from your logic I can murder, worship idols, steal, commit adultery. Basically do whatever I want to do to you or anyone else without consequences.

That is not how the God of our Bibles want us to behave or live. I will go from His standards thanks. He says He never changes Malachi 3:6

Also my Master Yeshua also establishes that He is the same yesterday, today and forever Hebrews 13:8. He was and is from the beginning. I will stick to that as well. He is the Word.

The religious doctrine of the law being abolished is replacement theology, anti-Semitic, the doctrines of man and the doctrine of demons.

Blessings and Shalom
Under the New Covenant Christians are led and taught by the Holy Spirit, John 16:13. You are on the wrong bus going in the wrong direction.

• Love

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, you think it's o.k. to murder? Steal? Commit Adultery? Lie, because according to *you*, there's no 'law' against any of those things?
more andmore folks are beginning to believe things like that . some even say there is no such thing as SIN anymore .
DECEPTOIN has abounded and worse it do get daily now .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, you think it's o.k. to murder? Steal? Commit Adultery? Lie, because according to *you*, there's no 'law' against any of those things?
The law has been abolished, but only for believers. Unbelievers will be judged by it and condemned. Believers are led by the Holy Spirit, not the law. If you are led by laws, rules or religion, you are under a curse, Galatians 3:10. Catholicism is a law-based religion. Get out now.

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The law has been abolished, but only for believers.
Ah, o.k. So, as a "believer", you think it's o.k. to murder? Steal? Commit adultery? And lie?

It's o.k. to be selfish, unkind, fornicate, gossip and the like?
Unbelievers will be judged by it and condemned. Believers are led by the Holy Spirit, not the law. If you are led by laws, rules or religion, you are under a curse, Galatians 3:10. Catholicism is a law-based religion. Get out now.
I really don't believe that you get it about law.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah, o.k. So, as a "believer", you think it's o.k. to murder? Steal? Commit adultery? And lie?

It's o.k. to be selfish, unkind, fornicate, gossip and the like?

I really don't believe that you get it about law.
Of course you don't. Christians are not led by laws, rules or religion, they are led by the Holy Spirit, John 16:13-15. The Holy Spirit will not cause a Christian to sin. Those that are not indwelt with the Holy Spirit are led by laws, rules and religion.