Why would God love me?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Ephesians 3:17-19

17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

Why would God love me when I have so many flaws? Why would Jesus die for me when I didn't care about Him?

It is hard to understand at times the kindness of God and why He loves me. That's why I think the Scripture says the love of Christ passeth knowledge.

God is love but to meditate on this and experience the love He has for you is quite overwhelming.

To know that He is our Father, our loving Papa who is devoted to our good is really a lot to take in. Sometimes I get sick of me and feel undeserving of that kind of love. But God really does love us. He's been speaking this over me lately.

Does anyone else feel like it's hard to grasp that God loves them? That you almost have to undo some thinking of yours just to recieve it like a little child?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Ephesians 3:17-19​

17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

Why would God love me when I have so many flaws? Why would Jesus die for me when I didn't care about Him?

It is hard to understand at times the kindness of God and why He loves me. That's why I think the Scripture says the love of Christ passeth knowledge.

God is love but to meditate on this and experience the love He has for you is quite overwhelming.

To know that He is our Father, our loving Papa who is devoted to our good is really a lot to take in. Sometimes I get sick of me and feel undeserving of that kind of love. But God really does love us. He's been speaking this over me lately.

Does anyone else feel like it's hard to grasp that God loves them? That you almost have to undo some thinking of yours just to recieve it like a little child?
Yes I understand that also. Lately after reading the hell part of scripture I have doubted that God loves me. And lately I have felt love from the spirit so it has been re-assuring.

Jesus in the spirit has always been nice to me if I understand the spirit correctly and so has God the Father. God does love us Wynona.

I think I may have angered God on one occasion and had a dream about it that he was angry with me. So I repented of the thing that made him angry. At least if I understand it correctly.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I understand that also. Lately after reading the hell part of scripture I have doubted that God loves me. And lately I have felt love from the spirit so it has been re-assuring.

Jesus in the spirit has always been nice to me if I understand the spirit correctly and so has God the Father. God does love us Wynona.

I think I may have angered God on one occasion and had a dream about it that he was angry with me. So I repented of the thing that made him angry. At least if I understand it correctly.
I feel like most of what we think of as love is very transactional. As in, you do something good for me, so I treat you well.

But I didn't deserve to come to Jesus after my attitude towards Christianity. I didn't do anything for Him. Love like that is hard, I think, to understand.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I feel like most of what we think of as love is very transactional. As in, you do something good for me, so I treat you well.

But I didn't deserve to come to Jesus after my attitude towards Christianity. I didn't do anything for Him. Love like that is hard, I think, to understand.
Well I believe we are God's spirit children and perhaps before we came to earth we were with him. But a Father tends to love his children. At least that's what I experienced being a parent. Deep love for my children.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

:Bestest: Oh my sister! It is the HARDEST thing for myself to receive. I've never been my best edifier, lol. And for sure, yes I DO have some "unthinking" to do and it is not so easy when it's been one way for decades. Must believe despite what even I myself say. Glory to God!!!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh my sister! It is the HARDEST thing for myself to receive. I've never been my best edifier, lol. And for sure, yes I DO have some "unthinking" to do and it is not so easy when it's been one way for decades. Must believe despite what even I myself say. Glory to God!!!
Hey, I have it on good solid Biblical authority that God not only loves you, but is also quite fond of you, Nancy! :woohoo!:

So there!:cool:

(I need an emoji that shows a happy face blowin' the ol' razzberry.)

Last edited:

Adam

Nov 30, 2022
X
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

The capacity of one's ability to receive love is limited by one's capacity to give love. Or in other words, God is all-loving, and all-forgiving, but we sin, and then we say in our hearts "God, I don't deserve to be loved, I deserve to be punished, because I wasn't loving enough to you".

Or another way to look at it is like this, imagine a really scummy man. He cheats on his wife a lot. Then one day his wife brings him a beautiful gift. He thinks "she must be cheating on me and this is her way of covering it up or easing her guilt". He can't accept that someone might love him because he himself hasn't been loving and does not feel worthy of this love. So perhaps then this man goes and makes all sorts of accusations and verbal abuse against her, to make her upset, to lower her level of love for him down to what he feels he deserves. The gift made him uncomfortable but her hatred makes him feel right, because it has reached a level of equalization.

So if you feel unworthy of love, don't make the mistake of focusing on yourself and the bad things you felt you've done, instead, go out and show love to others, and then you will be able to accept more love back.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey, I have it on good solid Biblical authority that God not only loves you, but is also quite fond of you, Nancy! :woohoo!:

So there!:cool:

(I need an emoji that shows a happy face blowin' the ol' razzberry.)
Well, now that IS good news!:joyful:Here is my version of "raspberries" in written form: Plpslpslslppslplsplslpsplsplsssss! :Broadly:

• Love
Reactions: Lambano

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Our Heavenly Father loves His children for the same reason an earthly father loves his children.

Reactions: Lambano and Adam

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

We surely need to undo many things and receive it as a child.....in fact, many favourite things.

Reactions: Lambano

Adam

Nov 30, 2022
X
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Our Heavenly Father loves His children for the same reason an earthly father loves his children.
Exactly this - because we're a smaller version of Him that He created.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, that works for those of us who were fortunate enough to have loving earthly parents. Over the weekend, my younger stepson was relating some of the s*** his birth-father did. (My wife put up with the abuse of herself for years, but when he started in on the kids, she knew it was time to leave.) He can't relate to a God who is a loving Father because he never had one. He doesn't want a god who forgives sin; he wants to see child-abusers and child-molesters and rapists and human traffickers and drug dealers and murderers and such punished, like the comic-book superheroes do. (And it's probably good that he reminds me of just how hideous evil really is.)

Last edited:

Adam

Nov 30, 2022
X
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yeah, that works for those of us who were fortunate enough to have loving earthly parents. Over the weekend, my younger stepson was relating some of the s*** his birth-father did. (My wife tolerated the abuse on herself for years, but when it started in on the kids, she knew it was time to leave.) He can't relate to a God who is a loving Father because he never had one. Not being aware of his own sinfulness, he doesn't want a god who forgives sin; he wants to see child-abusers and child-molesters and rapists and human traffickers and drug dealers and murderers and such punished, like the comic-book superheroes do. (And it's probably good that he reminds me of just how serious sin really is.)
Isaiah 49
14 But Zion said, The Lord hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me.

15 Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee.

16 Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.

Reactions: Nancy and Lambano

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Why would God love me?​

OP ^

Because everyone was Created for Gods Pleasure TO Love.

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: Wynona and Nancy

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God does NOT see & judge as man does.

He does not pick apart his children; he simply chastises us!

That one we may see as someone despicable and despising may be someone so hurting that in reaching out they hurt others.

We all must question, knowing in ourselves the real one we keep hidden.......why does God love me !

It is NOT by any means we can exhibit that curry his love, he is the creator and loves his creation !

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

I wonder what your child did to deserve being loved?......kept you up in the middle of the night screaming?....pooping its diapers at an inconvenient time?........you get my drift. We poke God in the eye with a sharp stick and he doesn't withhold the air from us, we stomp on his feet and fart in his face and how does he treat us? with long suffering and abundant kindness ....because that's his style.....and only insanity would push him away.