Will i go to hell if i hear Metal?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DevotedChristian

Mar 17, 2008
Hey everyone. i am seeking for a answer to my question. I hear Metal Bands like Cradle of Filth,Helloween and some other black metal bands. but i will limit myself. like songs that are satanic from these metal bands i would refrain myself from hearing them. The main thing that i hear metal is to enjoy the music from different songs. i do not follow their lyrics and mainly hear them for their music. However, i feel that im making God angry and upset with me and i fear that God would not love me anymore and i would go to Hell. Im still a devoted christian and i pray everyday to God. I would confess my sins and i always tell him that i will never turn away from him and i will always love him. But i still have a sense of fear that God does not love me anymore. I always remind myself that God will always love me according to the Bible but i just do not feel at ease. I just feel something is wrong.Can anyone help me out? (i even prayed to God that he would let someone in the forum to give me the right answer to my question)Thanks for those who help and God bless all of you.

For Life

Feb 24, 2007
I used to listen to Heavy Metal. I think this type of music brings out a nature of man that is counter to Christianity. I think music does things that are subtle. You will have to ask yourself, why don't I listen to or like music that is obviously good? Such as gospel music or music about love. I still hear heavy metal music but it doesn't have the hold on me it once did. What kind of music would there be in Heaven? Not heavy metal, I think you know where that would be playing.

DevotedChristian

Mar 17, 2008
I still listen to Gospel music. it's just that im addicted to Metal music soo much and i just love it. So do you mean i'll still go to hell unless i stop hearing metal? because i do not want to quit hearing metal music but at the mean time i dont not want to go to hell. Anyone else could help me out?

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
(DevotedChristian;41114)
I still listen to Gospel music. it's just that im addicted to Metal music soo much and i just love it. So do you mean i'll still go to hell unless i stop hearing metal? because i do not want to quit hearing metal music but at the mean time i dont not want to go to hell. Anyone else could help me out?
At least listen to Christian metal. Just give it sometime and God will change your tastes.

DevotedChristian

Mar 17, 2008
(Wakka;41124)
At least listen to Christian metal. Just give it sometime and God will change your tastes.
problem is, i cant find anywhere to get christian metal. Anyone can help me get it?

LittleLightShining

Jan 23, 2008
I don't think you're going to go to hell if you listen to Heavy Metal music. That being said, you seem convicted that what you're listening to is contrary to your faith and what you believe God would have you listening to. It sounds like an addiction. Many people tend to define themselves by the music they listen to. Or at least use it as part of a definition. Making the transition from listening to what you are most familiar with and enjoy isn't easy. Christian music doesn't necessarily have to be Gospel R & B or easy listening. There are Christian bands singing the Gospel in almost every genre of music. Here's something to think about-- if you are listening to an album by a band and there are 3 songs on it that are satanic, chances are they rest of the album is influenced that way, too. You don't have to NOT listen to heavy metal, but the more you pray about it, the more discerning you will become.To answer your question, there are Christian Metal bands. The most famous is probably Stryper, but there are others. Here's an article for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_heavy_metal

Jackie D

Mar 15, 2008
(DevotedChristian;41091)
Hey everyone. i am seeking for a answer to my question. I hear Metal Bands like Cradle of Filth,Helloween and some other black metal bands. but i will limit myself. like songs that are satanic from these metal bands i would refrain myself from hearing them. The main thing that i hear metal is to enjoy the music from different songs. i do not follow their lyrics and mainly hear them for their music. However, i feel that im making God angry and upset with me and i fear that God would not love me anymore and i would go to Hell. Im still a devoted christian and i pray everyday to God. I would confess my sins and i always tell him that i will never turn away from him and i will always love him. But i still have a sense of fear that God does not love me anymore. I always remind myself that God will always love me according to the Bible but i just do not feel at ease. I just feel something is wrong.Can anyone help me out? (i even prayed to God that he would let someone in the forum to give me the right answer to my question)Thanks for those who help and God bless all of you.
I don't believe that listening to heavy metal music is one of the things that would keep a person from Heaven. However, if you know you are listening to people's music who perform some songs that are demonic in nature then perhaps you should reconsider listening to that particular group. From what I've heard there are heavy metal Christian performers, you might give them a try.Now I will say this, when we are doing things that make us ill at ease in our relationship with God, it can be a good sign that God is taking issue with something we are doing and we need to pray about it and make a commitment to stop that particular behavior. He does correct those He loves. So if you are being corrected you can be sure that He is not preparing you for hell, but preparing you for the kingdom. So pray and search to find out what it is exactly that has caused a feeling of separation from Him, quit doing what ever it is and move on. Remember this too, when we come to Christ we make a commitment to dying to the desires and addictions of the flesh. If you are addicted to heavy metal music, it has taken up a place in your heart that does not belong there...

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
The music we listen to doesn't determine where we will spend eternity. The only thing that sends a person to hell is rejecting Jesus Christ and His sacrifice for our sins. However, if we are truly born again we will want to please God in all aspects of our lives--or at least try to do so. I'm not sure that all "music" is pleasing to God. Some of it I wouldn't even classify as music. If the lyrics don't honor God, then it's not (in my opinion) music Christians should enjoy--especially if there's profanity or anything negative in it.I love songs about heaven, about what Jesus did for me on the cross, about how secure I am in Christ, songs that praise and glorify my Saviour, and songs that are uplifting and encourage me to walk a holy life pleasing to God.

zail

Feb 14, 2008
1 Corinthians 10:23-24 reads: "All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify. Lots of things that are religiously viewed as a bad thing actually exsist to help us. Metal music is just one example. The question is: "Is it profitable to relax once in a while and enjoy something fun?" You bet. In that context, metal music is quite possible a good thing scripturally. However, the following verse reads : "Let no one seek his own good, but that of his neighbor. " Our mindset should be on how we can do what's good for other people, not just ourselves. We need to check that what we're doing helps others (and of course that it doesn't hurt others). 1 Corinthians 15:33 says "Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners." While the Bible doesn't speak agenst a style of music, it does give us this insight on "evil communications". Metal music (or anything enjoyable) should only be excluded from something fun to enjoy if it hurts you and/or others instead of "edifying". If you're listening to an evil message, you'll be be corrupt and fail to have good manners. That's just the way it works. Having corrupt manners makes it much harder to help other people. That's because having bad manners is usually a sign of not caring about other people. If we communicate with (listen to) evil lyrics, we're ruining our ability to obey the instruction to seek what's good for others. So... Enjoying Metal Music = okay by scriptureListening to Evil Lyrics = disobeying scripture You should just find some Metal bands that don't intentionally oppose God with their message. They don't have to be a "Christian band", just not "evil". I'd even say it's okay to listen to a band that has evil songs, as long as the songs that you listen to aren't those that are evil. We all have "evil" things to say sometimes. That doesn't mean you can't listen to anyone.... Just be careful about the messages that go into your mind.Hope that helps bud.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
All very wise replies Devotedchristian listen to themI think this sort of falls under the rule of Gluttony if you are looking for bible scripture gluttony is over indiulgence in anything Just because we love something isn't a good enough reason to over indulge in it for we always battle our fleshy desiresI love cinnabuns but if I ate them as much as I would like would become fat and unhealthy so love of something does not justify the ends I do not see the difference in music or video games or anything that comes with positive and negative results a little is fine alot is gluttony I think the rule to follow is everything in moderation

ps77

Nov 3, 2007
(DevotedChristian;41128)
problem is, i cant find anywhere to get christian metal. Anyone can help me get it?
Back when I listened to a lot of metal, ZAO and Demon Hunter were my favorite christian metal bands. But Living Sacrifice (long since defunct) was one aswell.There are SO many more christian metal bands on the scene now.SO many.Check out SolidState records and stuff like that.Trust me, you'll find some.

DevotedChristian

Mar 17, 2008
(zail;41161)
1 Corinthians 10:23-24 reads: "All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify. Lots of things that are religiously viewed as a bad thing actually exsist to help us. Metal music is just one example. The question is: "Is it profitable to relax once in a while and enjoy something fun?" You bet. In that context, metal music is quite possible a good thing scripturally. However, the following verse reads : "Let no one seek his own good, but that of his neighbor. " Our mindset should be on how we can do what's good for other people, not just ourselves. We need to check that what we're doing helps others (and of course that it doesn't hurt others). 1 Corinthians 15:33 says "Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners." While the Bible doesn't speak agenst a style of music, it does give us this insight on "evil communications". Metal music (or anything enjoyable) should only be excluded from something fun to enjoy if it hurts you and/or others instead of "edifying". If you're listening to an evil message, you'll be be corrupt and fail to have good manners. That's just the way it works. Having corrupt manners makes it much harder to help other people. That's because having bad manners is usually a sign of not caring about other people. If we communicate with (listen to) evil lyrics, we're ruining our ability to obey the instruction to seek what's good for others. So... Enjoying Metal Music = okay by scriptureListening to Evil Lyrics = disobeying scripture You should just find some Metal bands that don't intentionally oppose God with their message. They don't have to be a "Christian band", just not "evil". I'd even say it's okay to listen to a band that has evil songs, as long as the songs that you listen to aren't those that are evil. We all have "evil" things to say sometimes. That doesn't mean you can't listen to anyone.... Just be careful about the messages that go into your mind.Hope that helps bud.
Thank you soooo much for clearing things out for me Zail. Yes i will be more aware of the lyrics. I do prevent myself from hearing songs that has lyrics that are Opposing God and all. i just do not like it. Once Again, i thank all of you guys that have helped me by replying my thread. God bless each and everyone of you.

forgivenWretch

Feb 10, 2008
Tennessee
DevotedChristian? Is this name reality? If so, and I feel you would not use it otherwise, then God never sends His children to hell. Salvation is ever lasting life.If what you are listening to is unpleasing to God, then get away from it. God will burden your heart if you so desire.

dgc

Nov 27, 2007
DevotedChristian, Keep in mind even though you do not pay attention to the lyrics your mind and spirit does and it goes in deep to your spirit. You are a temple of God and his spirit resides in you what you listen to He listens to. Remember, Satan was THE worship leader in Heaven thats why there is such a spiritual influnance about it, however God is his, our and the music creator/composer. I'm into all sorts of music But am very aware of the lyrics I have found that PETRA, White Cross, Holy Soldier (First album) are good with excellent messages also try your Christian music store perhaps they will have others. God Bless and rock/worship on.

His By Grace

Dec 28, 2007
Hi there. I'm so glad you're concerned about what you listen to. So many Christians (or so-called ones) choose to continue on listening to what they always have, living a life unchanged. This shouldn't be for a new creature in Christ. Jesus says within you now flow rivers of "living water" so that you don't have to "thirst" or be addicted to your old music (see John 4:10-14). He frees you from this. Satan will try to bind you in this area, but he is a liar and the father of all lies (John 8:44). Galatians 5 tells us to,"Stand fast in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage."Music definitely is mind-altering. I know that I can listen to country music for a while, but if I'm already in a sad state of mind, I cannot listen for long, or I will get in a totally depressed mood and start thinking only of myself and my own problems. If I listen to pop, I find that more romantic feelings enter my mind and sometimes my life isn't all that romantic with my situation, so again, this leads me to focus on me. Christian music takes the focus to the one so deserving of our praise and ALWAYS lifts my head upward. It gives me the proper focus. Even if my heart aches, I have hope because I am praising the God of all hope. That's why I only listen to Christian music-of various styles. I like a contemporary style, some praise styles, and even a little of the Southern gospel if it's edgy. Just make sure that you are spending time daily learning your "sword" to fight off all of the temptations of the devil, for he will surely keep firing those darts at you. Jesus said over and over to folks, "You are mistaken, not knowing the scriptures or the power of God," and he was saying this to the guys who had studied and learned the scripture! How much more should we be studying His words! Read Colossians Chapter 3 for a basic overview of living the Christian life, and be sure with any of your music, that you understand what you are listening to- the lyrical content. Style doesn't bother me so much as when people don't bother to check the validity of what they are tuning in to. Does it line up with God's Word? This is what is important. Be blessed!!!!
smile.gif

followerofchrist

Nov 22, 2007
(DONNIE;41355)
Check out 12 Stone, Skillet and Pillar.
Skillet is amazing! They are one of my favorite bands, you should also try Thousand Foot Krutch. They are my all time favorite band. Their album The Art of Breaking is probably the most suited to your taste from them

Super Kal

Nov 27, 2007
(Wakka;41124)
He absolutely right, DevotedChristian ... for a very long time, I hated the mere though of contemporary Christian music. I was very heavy into the black metal scene, i.e. Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Emperor, Immortal, Morbid Angel... and last year, in the span of about 2 weeks, my tastes in music changed completely. I still listen to metal, but I now stay away from the metal that can lead me astray from God.(Devoted Christian;41128)
there are some really good bands out there that I personally listen to like Living Sacrifice, Demon Hunter, Becoming The Archetype (those are the biggest ones that I know)...if you're looking for a list... the one Wakka provided is a very good list.personally, my favorites on there are Vaakevandring, Antestor, Hortor, Horde, Bloodgood, As I Lay Dying, Crimson Moonlight, Slechtvalk, Drottnar, and Immortal Souls