Will the Paraclete vacate his dwelling in a believer?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus spoke of the Paraclete in John 14:

15 "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Advocate [Paraclete] to be with you forever".
23b “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.
The Paraclete represents the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. After he has come to dwell in a believer, will he move out later?

If you abide in Jesus, the Paraclete won't move out. Ephesians 4:

30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
It is possible to grieve the Holy Spirit even while he dwells in you. But the Paraclete won't vacate his dwelling in you unless you abandon him.

John 6:

37 All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.
1 John 2:

26 I write these things to you about those who are trying to deceive you. 27 But the anointing that you received from him abides in you, and you have no need that anyone should teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lie—just as it has taught you, abide in him.
John 15:

4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.
This abiding bond is mutual. Can I undo this abiding in him? Can I depart from this mutually abiding bond?

No, I cannot. This is what I believe. You are free to believe otherwise. If you do not abide in Jesus, you are not growing in faith. Every branch in Christ that does not bear fruit the Father takes away.

28 And now, little children, abide in him, so that when he appears we may have confidence and not shrink from him in shame at his coming. 29 If you know that he is righteous, you may be sure that everyone who practices righteousness has been born of him
i.e., born of the Spirit or born again.

Does this mean that we are free to sin?

No, I am not asserting unconditional eternal security. If the Paraclete dwells in you, you abide in Jesus.

See also Do we choose to be born again?.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you choose to renounce God in your life, I believe that the holy spirit will be taken from you. You will just go on seeking after the things of the World if that is what one desires, saying the hell with God, Jesus, and everything they are about. Of course they can repent or change their mind, and the Holy Spirit of God, will be given again.

Ephesians 4, was a chapter from which Paul wrote to keep the bride of Christ in check and informed, with those who were in Ephesus. He doesn't desire them to grieve the spirit, or even become doubtful, and unbelieving.

• Love
Reactions: Cassandra

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus spoke of the Paraclete in John 14:

The Paraclete represents the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. After he has come to dwell in a believer, will he move out later?

I don't think so, Ephesians 4:
I do think that the Lord can take up temporary residence in a believer. However, once He takes up *permanent residence* in a believer it is permanent.

So for me it's a semantics game. Is a "temporary residence" really a "residence" at all? The point is, I agree with you that at some point God determines that His presence in us results in a New Birth, which is the equivalent of permanent residence. Once saved always saved.

I do see that God does not withhold certain favors from mankind even though they do not want God to permanently indwell them, controlling them in perpetuity. People can experience God's love. But they may only want to experience it intermittently, for selfish reasons. God is just happy for them to act in love, despite their motives.

But when believers invite God in permanently, they obtain a new character. And they then become new creatures, which is in effect permanent. They act in love for the right motives, to serve God first and foremost.

An example of an unbeliever doing the right thing apart from his own personal virtue...

Gen 20.6 Then God said to him in the dream, “Yes, I know you did this with a clear conscience, and so I have kept you from sinning against me. That is why I did not let you touch her."

The fact people can believe for selfish reasons with limited virtues of faith...

Heb 6.4 It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age 6 and who have fallen away, to be brought back to repentance.

Last edited: