Will we be resurrected bodily or spiritually?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Luke 21:5-38

New International Version

The Destruction of the Temple and Signs of the End Times​

5 Some of his disciples were remarking about how the temple was adorned with beautiful stones and with gifts dedicated to God. But Jesus said, 6 “As for what you see here, the time will come when not one stone will be left on another; every one of them will be thrown down.”
7 “Teacher,” they asked, “when will these things happen? And what will be the sign that they are about to take place?”
8 He replied: “Watch out that you are not deceived. For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am he,’ and, ‘The time is near.’ Do not follow them. 9 When you hear of wars and uprisings, do not be frightened. These things must happen first, but the end will not come right away.”
10 Then he said to them: “Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. 11 There will be great earthquakes, famines and pestilences in various places, and fearful events and great signs from heaven.
12 “But before all this, they will seize you and persecute you. They will hand you over to synagogues and put you in prison, and you will be brought before kings and governors, and all on account of my name. 13 And so you will bear testimony to me. 14 But make up your mind not to worry beforehand how you will defend yourselves. 15 For I will give you words and wisdom that none of your adversaries will be able to resist or contradict. 16 You will be betrayed even by parents, brothers and sisters, relatives and friends, and they will put some of you to death.17 Everyone will hate you because of me. 18 But not a hair of your head will perish. 19 Stand firm, and you will win life.
20 “When you see Jerusalem being surrounded by armies, you will know that its desolation is near. 21 Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, let those in the city get out, and let those in the country not enter the city. 22 For this is the time of punishment in fulfillment of all that has been written. 23 How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! There will be great distress in the land and wrath against this people. 24 They will fall by the sword and will be taken as prisoners to all the nations. Jerusalem will be trampled on by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.
25 “There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea. 26 People will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken. 27 At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28 When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.”
29 He told them this parable: “Look at the fig tree and all the trees. 30 When they sprout leaves, you can see for yourselves and know that summer is near. 31 Even so, when you see these things happening, you know that the kingdom of God is near.
32 “Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. 33 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
34 “Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you suddenly like a trap. 35 For it will come on all those who live on the face of the whole earth.36 Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man.”
37 Each day Jesus was teaching at the temple, and each evening he went out to spend the night on the hill called the Mount of Olives, 38 and all the people came early in the morning to hear him at the temple.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is all three accounts, @marks.

Seems that Jesus Christ condemned those men that were in the temple (Matthew 22-24), and that with-in a generation the temple would be destroyed.

Jesus also would come and save the bride.

With-in a generation.

Otherwise he was a liar, and the apostles who wrote letters about waiting, watching, are also liars.

The Temple fell... and a new world was established. That no longer worked on those old material grounds of the Law, forever more with JEsus Christ as the fulfiller of all things.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We cant just got off one gospel account, the need to look at all three is highly important.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Temple fell... and a new world was established. That no longer worked on those old material grounds of the Law, forever more with JEsus Christ as the fulfiller of all things.
Revelation 20:11 KJV
And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

No more heaven and earth.

Revelation 20:12 KJV
And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

The judgment of the dead.

Revelation 21:1 KJV
And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

The new creation.

Revelation 21:4 KJV
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Conditions within the new creation.

I'm still futurist.

Much love!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Still disregarding the teaching @marks.

No need to address your scripture quotes.

Great you are a futurist.

I dont care you are a futurist. Nothing like that impresses me.

Can still have a meal with you and your family, and enjoy your company.

Papa Smurf

Jul 6, 2023
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My understanding is that in this life we go building up spiritual treasures in heaven according to Jesus,
Hello Matthew, that's true .. e.g. Luke 12:33-34.

and that is our destination
That is true too, until the end of the age anyway, when God will create a "new heavens" and a "new earth". No worries though, I'm sure that the treasures that we've stored up in the present heaven will be transferred to the New Earth :)

we will be given a spiritual body to live in where God resides,
That seems to be the case, PTL.

I still see Yeshua as the one whom is on the throne as the Lord God Almighty.
That is a bit of a Biblical mystery, isn't it, since we have a number of instances with the Lamb standing next to His Father (who is sitting on the throne), and at least a couple of passages where the Lord Jesus Himself is the one sitting there.

I have a question for those who believe that they will be raised again bodily? Is the reason that many people believe that they will raise like this, because of Yahava, raising his Son whom was begotten at resurrection in his body that he had perished away in for 3 days?

From my view, today people are resurrected spiritually, given either resurrection of judgement or resurrection of life - however all of this is on the spiritual plane where God resides.

Perhaps the viewpoint is that God will be on this earth and that people will have a body but it will never die and you could live a life on a new earth or something?

Just curious to an answer as perhaps it does deal with the resurrection of Jesus; just to sum something up, if Jesus Christ never came back in his body that he had before, there would have never been confirmation that Death had been conqured.
Perhaps the following passage will be useful in answering at least some of your thoughts and questions. Like the Lord Jesus, when the dead are "raised" (meaning saint AND reprobate) it is our bodies that are "raised" in a glorified body (and with which we are then reunited), bodies that are fitted for eternal life, either on the New Earth with God (saints), or in the Lake of Fire apart from Him (reprobate). That we are conscious (soul/spirit) during the "Intermediate State" (which is the period of time between our physical death and our bodily resurrection) is the sole belief/teaching of the historic Christian church, by which I mean ALL of us, Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant.

1 Corinthians 15
35 Someone will say, “How are the dead raised? And with what kind of body do they come?
36 You fool! That which you sow does not come to life unless it dies;
37 and that which you sow, you do not sow the body which is to be, but a bare grain, perhaps of wheat or of something else.
38 But God gives it a body just as He wished, and to each of the seeds a body of its own.
39 All flesh is not the same flesh, but there is one flesh of men, and another flesh of beasts, and another flesh of birds, and another of fish.
40 There are also heavenly bodies and earthly bodies, but the glory of the heavenly is one, and the glory of the earthly is another.
41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for star differs from star in glory.
42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown a perishable body, it is raised can imperishable body;
43 it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power;
44 it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.
45 So also it is written, “The first MAN, Adam, BECAME A LIVING SOUL.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.
46 However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural; then the spiritual.
47 The first man is from the earth, earthy; the second man is from heaven.
48 As is the earthy, so also are those who are earthy; and as is the heavenly, so also are those who are heavenly.
49 Just as we have borne the image of the earthy, we will also bear the image of the heavenly.

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf

Last edited:

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Will we be resurrected bodily or spiritually?​

Both.

2 Cor. 5

For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. 2 Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, 3 because when we are clothed, we will not be found naked. 4 For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. 5 Now the one who has fashioned us for this very purpose is God, who has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

Reactions: Wynona

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@marks, I can say this.

The JEwish nation seen their Heaven and EArth as the Temple.

The temple itself had God show up with-in it.

It was destoryed, there whole Heaven and earth came down.

They would follow the law and go to the temple, and do their thing.

It was destoryed.

"OH MY GOD THE TEMPLE IS BEING DESTORYED OUR WORLD IS OVER"

"OH MY GOD THE TEMPLE IS BEING DESTORYED OUR WHOLE HEAVEN AND EARTH IS CRASHING DOWN AND OVER"

That would be the mindset of a Jew of that time.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Matthew, that's true .. e.g. Luke 12:33-34.

That is true too, until the end of the age anyway, when God will create a "new heavens" and a "new earth". No worries though, I'm sure that the treasures that we've stored up in the present heaven will be transferred to the New Earth :)
Thank you for sharing.
That seems to be the case, PTL.

That is a bit of a Biblical mystery, isn't it, since we have a number of instances with the Lamb standing next to His Father (who is sitting on the throne), and at least a couple of passages where the Lord Jesus Himself is the one sitting there.
Yes, sorta.
Perhaps the following passage will be useful in answering at least some of your thoughts and questions. Like the Lord Jesus, when the dead are "raised" (meaning saint AND reprobate) it is our bodies that are "raised" in a glorified state (and with which we are then reunited), bodies that are fitted for eternal life, either on the New Earth with God (saints), or in the Lake of Fire apart from Him (reprobate). That we are conscious (soul/spirit) during the "Intermediate State" (which is the period of time between our physical death and our bodily resurrection) is the sole belief/teaching of the historic Christian church, by which I mean ALL of us, Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant.

1 Corinthians 15
35 Someone will say, “How are the dead raised? And with what kind of body do they come?
36 You fool! That which you sow does not come to life unless it dies;
37 and that which you sow, you do not sow the body which is to be, but a bare grain, perhaps of wheat or of something else.
38 But God gives it a body just as He wished, and to each of the seeds a body of its own.
39 All flesh is not the same flesh, but there is one flesh of men, and another flesh of beasts, and another flesh of birds, and another of fish.
40 There are also heavenly bodies and earthly bodies, but the glory of the heavenly is one, and the glory of the earthly is another.
41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for star differs from star in glory.
42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown a perishable body, it is raised can imperishable body;
43 it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power;
44 it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.
45 So also it is written, “The first MAN, Adam, BECAME A LIVING SOUL.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.
46 However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural; then the spiritual.
47 The first man is from the earth, earthy; the second man is from heaven.
48 As is the earthy, so also are those who are earthy; and as is the heavenly, so also are those who are heavenly.
49 Just as we have borne the image of the earthy, we will also bear the image of the heavenly.

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf

Thank you for sharing Papa Smurf, God bless you too.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@marks, I can say this.

The JEwish nation seen their Heaven and EArth as the Temple.

The temple itself had God show up with-in it.

It was destoryed, there whole Heaven and earth came down.

They would follow the law and go to the temple, and do their thing.

It was destoryed.

"OH MY GOD THE TEMPLE IS BEING DESTORYED OUR WORLD IS OVER"

"OH MY GOD THE TEMPLE IS BEING DESTORYED OUR WHOLE HEAVEN AND EARTH IS CRASHING DOWN AND OVER"

That would be the mindset of a Jew of that time.
They had their prophecies also . . .

Isaiah 65:17-22 KJV
17) For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.
18) But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create: for, behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy.
19) And I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and joy in my people: and the voice of weeping shall be no more heard in her, nor the voice of crying.
20) There shall be no more thence an infant of days, nor an old man that hath not filled his days: for the child shall die an hundred years old; but the sinner being an hundred years old shall be accursed.
21) And they shall build houses, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and eat the fruit of them.
22) They shall not build, and another inhabit; they shall not plant, and another eat: for as the days of a tree are the days of my people, and mine elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands.

Are you saying they understood this to be a prophecy of building a new temple?

Much love!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They had their prophecies also . . .

Isaiah 65:17-22 KJV
17) For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.
18) But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create: for, behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy.
19) And I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and joy in my people: and the voice of weeping shall be no more heard in her, nor the voice of crying.
20) There shall be no more thence an infant of days, nor an old man that hath not filled his days: for the child shall die an hundred years old; but the sinner being an hundred years old shall be accursed.
21) And they shall build houses, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and eat the fruit of them.
22) They shall not build, and another inhabit; they shall not plant, and another eat: for as the days of a tree are the days of my people, and mine elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands.

Are you saying they understood this to be a prophecy of building a new temple?

Much love!

What a third one?

I doubt it. I dont believe in futurist viewpoint.

It will never be the exact measurements of the time.

But that is my opinion and I may be wrong.

Could you ever be wrong, or are you always right speaking truth down to the T all the time?

The destruction was a one time event, not a second or a third time. Did you even read those accounts that were shared?

Jesus is right in my opinion but you disregarded all that was shared in motives for your own view point.

Your totally entitled to it, and I dont hate you cause you believe it, nor disregard you as a Christian.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not you, them. Would they have thought Isaiah was prophesying a new temple?

Much love!

You just like to jump around dont you.

That isn't love.

What do you expect? People say there is a third temple coming, is that something you believe?

Sometimes your much love is just a joke, in my opinion.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You just like to jump around dont you.

That isn't love.

What do you expect? People say there is a third temple coming, is that something you believe?
No, I'm trying to stay on point. I'm asking about the Hebrew understanding of Isaiah's prophecy of a new heaven and new earth. You've said that they understood "no more heaven and earth" to be their temple being destroyed, so I'm wondering about the consistency of your understanding. Henceforth the question regarding a parallel passage.

OK, no need to continue if you don't want to.

Much love!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Answer my question then.​
stop going back and forth and being avoidant.​

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They wouldn't have understood until the Holy Spirit came...

if you want my honest opinion about it...

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Answer my question then.​
stop going back and forth and being avoidant.​
This is off the rails, obviously there has been some misunderstanding. I've no wish to argue with you needlessly.

Much love!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We aren't arguing, but you just continue with your one line sentence, and not answering, or addressing anything that I brought forth sir.

That is what I find really dumb.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's all because you wanted to continue with me. And my passion is to speak about these things so therefore we are both guilty. @marks, you can always just put me on ignore. Or I can always just put you on there, it doesn't bother me. No hatred or angst against you as a human being.