Will you be stocking up?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think for families, those of us with children, have a responsibility to prepare as much as they can. It would be devastating to see families like they were last year without very much food and struggling to make it. But also not everyone can afford it. So for those of you who are planning on preparing and also don't want to wipe out the stores, maybe this might help give some ideas.

COVID was supposed to go on for two years and who knows what else is coming in the future. It's never too late. I know as someone who was making bread in the microwave last year (Yes, you can, but no crust) yeast was impossible to find. It wasn't anywhere. Irish soda bread was alright. Last time I had to buy four pounds of baking soda though, because the smaller ones were out.
d56af8c08eb83d7f94534c8c76ccdcff.jpg

I would give a reference for the link but seems the site is down. Was from pgward.com

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think for families, those of us with children, have a responsibility to prepare as much as they can. It would be devastating to see families like they were last year without very much food and struggling to make it. But also not everyone can afford it. So for those of you who are planning on preparing and also don't want to wipe out the stores, maybe this might help give some ideas.

COVID was supposed to go on for two years and who knows what else is coming in the future. It's never too late. I know as someone who was making bread in the microwave last year (Yes, you can, but no crust) yeast was impossible to find. It wasn't anywhere. Irish soda bread was alright. Last time I had to buy four pounds of baking soda though, because the smaller ones were out.

I would give a reference for the link but seems the site is down. Was from pgward.com
Thanks Duck.

Reactions: DuckieLady

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You called me selfish for stocking up on toilet paper, I also have a hundred lbs of rice and hundreds of cans of food all bought on sale. I do not pay full price to get my food delivered.

Good for you.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

@FluffyYellowDuck Useful...

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good for you.
Typically I do not really save money because in a half price sale I buy five times as much so I spend more but get five times the food at half price. Four people depend on me to keep the food available. So I fail to see how paying more is logical or selfish

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks Duck.
No problem. But anyone who goes off this list should probably know that it's essential when storing flour for long term use that it be frozen for 96 hours to kill off any eggs and pack with a food saver, lest you'll end up with weevils at some point and a bunch of wasted flour.

50 pounds if you're dong your own baking bread might last about two weeks. Was going through 20 pounds a week at one point.

Reactions: farouk

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get the impression that Amtrak is driven by subsidy rather than business. (Up here it's similar with the VIA rail; heavily subsidized for years, no one in the Federal government can bring themselves to cut the subsidy...I wonder if Covid will be the catalyst for finally doing it...)
Amtrak went out of business, it still runs because the government took it over so it is now a government transit program that all Americans fund

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Typically I do not really save money because in a half price sale I buy five times as much so I spend more but get five times the food at half price. Four people depend on me to keep the food available. So I fail to see how paying more is logical or selfish
Agree.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
No problem. But anyone who goes off this list should probably know that it's essential when storing flour for long term use that it be frozen for 96 hours to kill off any eggs and pack with a food saver, lest you'll end up with weevils at some point and a bunch of wasted flour.

50 pounds if you're dong your own baking bread might last about two weeks. Was going through 20 pounds a week at one point.
@FluffyYellowDuck Good point....

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Wheat would put me in the hospital as I am gluten free. Bread cost me twice as much as most people pay. I rely on canned goods and rice in an emergency as even my dogs can eat that

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amtrak went out of business, it still runs because the government took it over so it is now a government transit program that all Americans fund
!!! I did not know this.

I don't believe the tracks were safe anyway. Spent 13 hours in the middle of nowhere because of something to do with a cliff. (Avalanche?) It was probably in Idaho. That was probably in 2010-2011. Eventually, they sent us on a Greyhound. They have had so many wrecks it was ridiculous.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It should be make clear that buying wheat won’t do much good for people who don’t have a good grain mill. And there are different kinds of wheat. Hard wheat is used for yeast bread because it is high in gluten (protein of the wheat that acts like glue). Soft wheat can be used for pastries, quick breads, pancakes, biscuits, etc., but not for yeast breads.

Years ago, I milled my own wheat. If you want good fine flour, buy a good mill. NutraMill is supposed to be a good mill.

https://www.lehmans.com/product/nutrimill-electric-grain-mill/

WonderMill is another good one. This is the one I used years ago until I broke it milling some large popcorn kernels to make cornmeal. Small kernels do fine. You haven’t tasted real cornbread until you have some made with fresh milled corn.

Last edited:

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wheat would put me in the hospital as I am gluten free. Bread cost me twice as much as most people pay. I rely on canned goods and rice in an emergency as even my dogs can eat that

I believe that gluten intolerance is caused by hybrid wheat, like Golden 86. These wheat kernels are nice and plump because they were bred to be high in gluten, making yeast breads very light and fluffy. I would be interested to see if someone who has problems with gluten could eat heirloom hard wheat or soft wheat. Both of these have a lower gluten content.

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It should be make clear that buying wheat won’t do much good for people who don’t have a good grain mill. And there are different kinds of wheat. Hard wheat is used for yeast bread because it is high in gluten (protein of the wheat that acts like glue). Soft wheat can be used for pastries, quick breads, pancakes, biscuits, etc., but not for yeast breads.

Years ago, I milled my own wheat. If you want good fine flour, buy a good mill.
Yea wheat should really be flour on that list

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Nothing like my shopping list. :D

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that gluten intolerance is caused by hybrid wheat, like Golden 86. These wheat kernels are nice and plump because they were bred to be high in gluten, making yeast breads very light and fluffy. I would be interested to see if someone who has problems with gluten could eat heirloom hard wheat or soft wheat. Both of these have a lower gluten content.
The amount of gluten in one egg noodle is noticable to me. My diet though more expensive is healthier without gluten. Bread is high glycemic junk food anyway

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Years ago, I milled my own wheat. If you want good fine flour, buy a good mill.

Did they mean literal wheat!? I thought they meant wheat flour. That's too much for me.

Years ago, I thought I had a gluten intolerance that was sending me into enormous pain with my gallbladder so bad someone had to call an ambulance. I thought it was an allergy to gluten, since it seemed every time that I had white bread or fast food, but it turned out it was actually the ridiculous amount of soy they put in everything. (Even in cake.) Soy allergy. Eliminated that and I was good, but I do remember on my gluten free journey that there was a brand of wheat from Ireland that didn't affect most people with gluten intolerance. It was a big deal.

I can't remember what it was though and it was probably expensive.

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did they mean literal wheat!? I thought they meant wheat flour. That's too much for me.

Years ago, I thought I had a gluten intolerance that was sending me into enormous pain with my gallbladder so bad someone had to call an ambulance. I thought it was an allergy to gluten, since it seemed every time that I had white bread or fast food, but it turned out it was actually the ridiculous amount of soy they put in everything. (Even in cake.) Soy allergy. Eliminated that and I was good, but I do remember on my gluten free journey that there was a brand of wheat from Ireland that didn't affect most people with gluten intolerance. It was a big deal.

I can't remember what it was though and it was probably expensive.
Gluten is a poison no matter if one is allergic, like egg yolks or tobacco or meat fat.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
!!! I did not know this.

I don't believe the tracks were safe anyway. Spent 13 hours in the middle of nowhere because of something to do with a cliff. (Avalanche?) It was probably in Idaho. That was probably in 2010-2011. Eventually, they sent us on a Greyhound. They have had so many wrecks it was ridiculous.
@FluffyYellowDuck Idaho has the reputation of being very isolated, right? Some ppl seem to like to retire to Idaho for its sheer isolation hermit/survivalist lifestyle that there is in places.