Will you be stocking up?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Many years ago, I was sitting at the Amtrak waiting for my train. One of the attendants yelled, "All aboard!" and everyone was moving slowly, except one man who wanted to be first. He ran to the door as fast as he could to beat everyone else. He seemed very proud of himself until he ran straight into the door. It hadn't been opened yet and it was locked. Everyone was laughing and pointing, because he got his.

I think for the people who really have been selfish about it, they're going to be like the man that ran into the door.
Is Amtrak still running in your area? maybe to Seattle... (But no need to be specific about where you live, of course...)

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is Amtrak still running in your area? maybe to Seattle... (But no need to be specific about where you live, of course...)

I can't tell, but I don't think so. I think it was closed last year somewhere between DC and NY. I can't remember exact locations... I don't think people around here would want to bother. I live in a red county and people are more independent. They don't want to deal with any of the COVID stuff.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I can't tell, but I don't think so. I think it was closed last year somewhere between DC and NY. I can't remember exact locations... I don't think people around here would want to bother. I live in a red county and people are more independent. They don't want to deal with any of the COVID stuff.
I get the impression that Amtrak is driven by subsidy rather than business. (Up here it's similar with the VIA rail; heavily subsidized for years, no one in the Federal government can bring themselves to cut the subsidy...I wonder if Covid will be the catalyst for finally doing it...)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What is selfish about saving money? Who am I hurting by having food and toilet paper for my family? Who do you provide for?

If you are buying food and toilet paper in normal amounts you are hurting nobody and that wasn't what this was about. The thread is about stocking up which is selfish if you over buy IMO. Why does anybody need massive amounts of toilet paper so that between them they empty the shelves.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When this started I did not stock up and by the time I knew what was happening I had to hunt for paper and chicken tripled in price. Not doing that again

Probably a good idea to get a few things. I stopped buying most meat because the prices are ridiculous. ($12 for a steak is 1/5th of my weekly grocery budget for four.) I buy canned chicken now and the little rolls of ground beef are less than $3 at Walmart. Makes a good meatloaf. Summer sausage doesn't need to be refrigerated is also less than $4.

Lots of Mexican food around here. Lentil tacos turned out to be SUPER good with lime crema. Corn tortillas keep a while. Summer sausage is really good for red beans and rice. Did a lot of New Orleans themed food for a while. Just a few tips. :)

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get the impression that Amtrak is driven by subsidy rather than business. (Up here it's similar with the VIA rail; heavily subsidized for years, no one in the Federal government can bring themselves to cut the subsidy...I wonder if Covid will be the catalyst for finally doing it...)

I don't know myself, but I haven't used them in a long time. Their attendants are incredibly abusive towards the elderly. After seeing an attendant tell an elderly woman that he wouldn't help her with her bag and tell everyone he's not a slave I don't want to support them anymore... Been yelled at a few times by attendants in NY and Chicago for not moving fast enough. I'm a short girl and I had a baby AND one of those times it was below 0 outside. I'm not a fan.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't know myself, but I haven't used them in a long time. Their attendants are incredibly abusive towards the elderly. After seeing an attendant tell an elderly woman that he wouldn't help her with her bag and tell everyone he's not a slave I don't want to support them anymore... Been yelled at a few times by attendants in NY and Chicago for not moving fast enough. I'm a short girl and I had a baby AND one of those times it was below 0 outside. I'm not a fan.
@FluffyYellowDuck Once subsidized employees work on the basis of contented entitlement, their days are numbered in the longer term. Though sad to see the service cease.

Reactions: DuckieLady

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are buying food and toilet paper in normal amounts you are hurting nobody and that wasn't what this was about. The thread is about stocking up which is selfish if you over buy IMO. Why does anybody need massive amounts of toilet paper so that between them they empty the shelves.

Maybe their nervousness over the things coming upon the earth has effected their bodily constitution.

As the scripture says, "Be anxious for nothing."

funny-cat-lolcat-Scared_Cat.jpg

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again I will pay less than you, and you will have to go store to store and hope to find what I have. So you appear to have a persecution complex, and do not believe in being prepared

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Again I will pay less than you, and you will have to go store to store and hope to find what I have. So you appear to have a persecution complex, and do not believe in being prepared
Friend, please re-read your post and I invite you to consider if it would be good to be rephrased.

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Friend, please re-read your post and I invite you to consider if it would be good to be rephrased.
And who has the right to call me selfish for having food and toilet paper available for my family at all times?
Answer, I care for my family as I choose and with the help of God

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

I do NOT have a persecution complex. What ever gave you that idea. I get my groceries delivered so I don't go from store to store, but I only buy what I need from week to week. If you are prepared to go from store to store to safe a bit of money then good for you but don't over buy and leave nothing for more vulnerable folk.

Reactions: farouk

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And who has the right to call me selfish for having food and toilet paper available for my family at all times?

I didn't call anybody selfish for that. You have obviously misunderstood my posts. The ones I say are selfish are those who stockpile by deliberately buying much more than they need. See the difference?

Reactions: farouk

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do NOT have a persecution complex. What ever gave you that idea. I get my groceries delivered so I don't go from store to store, but I only buy what I need from week to week. If you are prepared to go from store to store to safe a bit of money then good for you but don't over buy and leave nothing for more vulnerable folk.
So what do you do when the store does not have what bbn you need? I shop and save lots of money or buy twice as much on sale.

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't call anybody selfish for that. You have obviously misunderstood my posts. The ones I say are selfish are those who stockpile by deliberately buying much more than they need. See the difference?
You called me selfish for stocking up on toilet paper, I also have a hundred lbs of rice and hundreds of cans of food all bought on sale. I do not pay full price to get my food delivered.