Witnessing to JWs

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a Christian who has spoken to countless passersby on sidewalks and total strangers in stores, restaurants, garages, and everywhere, I knew fairly quickly that if there was a calling for which I was best equipped, it was evangelism coupled with apologetics. Much of the latter I continue to learn from Ravi Zacharias.

In addition to Ravi's books and talks, one of the best aides to have in on your library shelf is Walter Martin's Kingdom of the Cults.

JWs don't believe in the Trinity, because, as they insist, it is not taught within their New World Translation bibles. Added to their list of anti-Christian tenets, they don't believe Jesus is God, that hell exists, that they should say the Pledge of Allegiance or stand for the National Anthem, or receive a blood transfusion.

THE TRINITY
How mistaken JWs are about the Trinity, for within even their own New World Translation bibles can be found one of the strongest points that I use when speaking to them. Just get them to turn with you to these three passages of Scripture.

John 2:19
Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

From this, we can see that Jesus Himself said that He had the power to raise Himself from the dead.

Acts 4:10
Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.

From the above passage, we can see that God raised Jesus from the dead, and from the verse below, we can read that the Holy Spirit raised Jesus from the dead.

Romans 8:11
But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

So, in the end, Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit were at work raising Jesus from the dead.

Wafer

May 16, 2019
Yuma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The trinity is not in the bible.

New Catholic Encyclopedia, 1977 Edition, Vol. 13, p. 1021 -- The first use of the Latin word "trinitas" (trinity) with reference to God, is found in Tertulian's writings (about 213 A.D.) He was the first to use the term "persons" (plural) in a Trinitarian context.

Encyclopedia Americana, 1957 Edition, Vol. 27, p. 69 -- The word "Trinity" is not in Scripture. The term "persons" (plural) is not applied in Scripture to the Trinity.

The New Catholic Encyclopedia states: "The formulation 'one God in three Persons' was not solidly established, certainly not fully assimilated into Christian life and its profession of faith, prior to the end of the 4th century. But it is precisely this formulation that has first claim to the title the Trinitarian dogma. Among the Apostolic Fathers, there had been nothing even remotely approaching such a mentality or perspective." - (1967), Vol. XIV, p. 299.

Nouveau Dictionnaire Universel: "The Platonic trinity, itself merely a rearrangement of older trinities dating back to earlier peoples, appears to be the rational philosophic trinity of attributes that gave birth to the three hypostases or divine persons taught by the Christian churches. . . . This Greek philosopher's [Plato, fourth century B.C.E.] conception of the divine trinity . . . can be found in all the ancient [pagan] religions."
- (Paris, 1865-1870), edited by M. Lachatre, Vol. 2, p. 1467.

World Book Encyclopedia, 1984 Edition, Vol. T, p. 363 -- Belief in Father, Son and Holy Ghost was first defined by the earliest general council of churches. This was the First Council of Nicaea in 325 A.D.

New International Encyclopedia, Vol. 22 p. 476 -- The Catholic faith is this; We worship one God in Trinity, but there is one Person of the Father, another of the Son and another of the Holy Ghost. The Glory equal -- the Majesty co-eternal. The doctrine is not found in its fully developed form in the Scriptures. Modern theology does not seek to find it in the Old Testament. At the time of the Reformation the Protestant Church took over the doctrine of the Trinity without serious examination.

Life Magazine, October 30, 1950, Vol. 29, No. 18, p. 51 -- The Catholics made this statement concerning their doctrine of the Trinity, to defend the dogma of the assumption of Mary, in an article written by Graham Greene: "Our opponents sometimes claim that no belief should be held dogmatically which is not explicitly stated in Scripture ... But the PROTESTANT CHURCHES have themselves accepted such dogmas as THE TRINITY, for which there is NO SUCH PRECISE AUTHORITY In the Gospels."

Reactions: amadeus

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a Christian who has spoken to countless passersby on sidewalks and total strangers in stores, restaurants, garages, and everywhere, I knew fairly quickly that if there was a calling for which I was best equipped, it was evangelism coupled with apologetics. Much of the latter I continue to learn from Ravi Zacharias.

In addition to Ravi's books and talks, one of the best aides to have in on your library shelf is Walter Martin's Kingdom of the Cults.

JWs don't believe in the Trinity, because, as they insist, it is not taught within their New World Translation bibles. Added to their list of anti-Christian tenets, they don't believe Jesus is God, that hell exists, that they should say the Pledge of Allegiance or stand for the National Anthem, or receive a blood transfusion.

THE TRINITY
How mistaken JWs are about the Trinity, for within even their own New World Translation bibles can be found one of the strongest points that I use when speaking to them. Just get them to turn with you to these three passages of Scripture.

Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

From this, we can see that Jesus Himself said that He had the power to raise Himself from the dead.

Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.

From the above passage, we can see that God raised Jesus from the dead, and from the verse below, we can read that the Holy Spirit raised Jesus from the dead.

But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

So, in the end, Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit were at work raising Jesus from the dead.
addressing the OP. you might want to come with a better defense of scriptures than these. for God is a "Spirit", and Jesus is the Personal name of that Spirit who is God.

but if you want to witness to a JW, use their own bible, their New World translation. here is my first question to convert them. Revelation 22:6 in their NWT it states that Jehovah sent his angel to John. but in the same chapter at verse 16, in their bible, bright as day, it says Jesus sent his angel. so when they read that they cannot say anything because it's in "their" bible. either they must admit Jesus is their Jehovah, or their bible lied, either scenario is none profitable for them. that's just one of the many catch 22 problems with their "own" bible.

PICJAG.

Reactions: prism and Butterfly

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The trinity is not in the bible.
I take it you meant the word "trinity" is not in the Bible. Which is true.
But if you are denying the truth of the triune Godhead (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit), you are doing exactly what the JWs and all the cults are doing -- rejecting Bible truth.

And those who reject the Trinity also reject the Deity of Christ.

And those who reject the Deity of Christ will die in their sins.

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't intend saying that the word Trinity is not in the Bible but that they believe the existence of the Trinity is not supported. I believe those three verses I used do support a Triune Godhead.

I don't give heed to Catholic doctrine, although I can appreciate the fact that many people have, all their lives, been subject to that religion through their families and have not as yet realized their need to or found a way of escape.

Reactions: tabletalk

Wafer

May 16, 2019
Yuma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I take it you meant the word "trinity" is not in the Bible. Which is true.
But if you are denying the truth of the triune Godhead (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit), you are doing exactly what the JWs and all the cults are doing -- rejecting Bible truth.

And those who reject the Trinity also reject the Deity of Christ.

And those who reject the Deity of Christ will die in their sins.

You can take it up with the Roman Catholic authors.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You can take it up with the Roman Catholic authors.
Take up what? I have no interest in what the Roman Catholics say. Let's see what the Bible says, and there is absolutely no doubt that the Bible presents the triune Godhead as the one true God.

Wafer

May 16, 2019
Yuma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Take up what? I have no interest in what the Roman Catholics say. Let's see what the Bible says, and there is absolutely no doubt that the Bible presents the triune Godhead as the one true God.

You're such a sweetheart!

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

THE TRINITY

I can see what most people mean by their understanding of the doctrine of the trinity, and I can see what the JW's understand with regards to their understanding of God, Jesus, etc. I don't agree with either of them, and at the same time, I can see certain aspects of both interpretations have a nugget of the truth within them.

When John points out that "the word was made flesh" we see the means of creation entering into creation itself, but what enters is not the means. By definition, it can't be. In other words, when Jesus identifies himself as Christ, he isn't identifying his body as the word made flesh, but identifying the word dwelling in the flesh. Paul has this same epiphany as well, and points to it in a number of his letters. "Christ in you ,your only hope of salvation"; "not me, but Christ in me" etc.

Both JW's and the rest of mainstream Christianity will assume that Jesus created the world, but Jesus is the name associated with a human being, and no human being created the world. The word creates the world. It is Christ who is slain from the foundation of the world, and this is how the world is created. It is the word emptying itself into creation, ultimately in the incarnation.

The trinity is in, with, and through Christ, created by Christ and for Christ to the glory of God who is the origin of Christ. Yet it is only in, with, and through Christ that one can return to the father, and only as a son of the father; again, in, with, and through Christ.

The best articulation I've seen is "one in being with the father" as this spotlights that there is only really one person, and that is Christ. The reason being that the person (from "persona" which means "a mask, what is presented to the world") presented to the world is Christ. God is not two faced.

There is the origin of existence and there is existence itself as well as what enters objectively into existence. God does not enter objectively into existence as he is eternally the source of life itself. The source cannot be the result of anything, but must necessarily always and everywhere remain the source of everything.

It logically follows that the source of existence or being cannot exist without creating an infinite regression. Paul refutes this idea in 1 Cor.8:6 by distinguishing between the source of all that exists from the means of existence. He attributes the name "God" to the source and origin of existence. Therefore the atheist's claims are seen as unnecessary.

Ultimately, what we associate with the term "God" must be transcended just as every idea must be transcended as they are all derivatives just like we are.

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 1
1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,

2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Ephesians 3:9
And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In addition to Ravi's books and talks, one of the best aides to have in on your library shelf is Walter Martin's Kingdom of the Cults..
Honestly, I find that book to be one of the most.. counter productive (to say politely) to reaching people who believe differently than you.
If you really want to each someone, put own the book of someone else telling you what "Bob" believes, and instead just get to know Bob-- serving and loving him. When the greatest is a servant, Christ's light will shine naturally through you.

If you want anybody

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Hebrews 1
1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,

2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:

Again, it seems amazing how anyone can believe in three persons when the author of Hebrews and Paul are so consistent in showing the reality by distinguishing between God and Christ.

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Honestly, I find that book to be one of the most.. counter productive (to say politely) to reaching people who believe differently than you.
If you really want to each someone, put own the book of someone else telling you what "Bob" believes, and instead just get to know Bob-- serving and loving him. When the greatest is a servant, Christ's light will shine naturally through you.

If you want anybody
I have led many JWs to an awakening regarding their doctrinal errors by talking to them. If you are not an academic person, I can understand why you don't see this....David

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have led many JWs to an awakening regarding their doctrinal errors by talking to them. If you are not an academic person, I can understand why you don't see this....David
It's because I'm an academic person I so dislike the sensational work of Walter Martin. The point of any missionary work is to bring people to Christ, and I find Martin's and other "this is why you shouldn't be ___" doesn't do that.

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's because I'm an academic person I so dislike the sensational work of Walter Martin. The point of any missionary work is to bring people to Christ, and I find Martin's and other "this is why you shouldn't be ___" doesn't do that.
You must detest Ravi Zacharias then.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hebrews 1

Well, exactly; the Son was integrally present at Creation.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Ravi is probably one of the better apologists out there, but he does tend to sensationalize his arguments at times. I think it adds an integral dimension to his defense for the faith. However, once the novelty has worn off, and in the case of most skeptics, agnostics, atheists, etc., that happens quite rapidly; we're still faced with the arguments of atheists.

I think this is where someone like David Berlinski comes into the equation. In other words, it takes someone arguing on the same level to get through to the dyed in the wool atheist. I also think that far too many apologists don't take advantage of the latest cutting edge discoveries of science which are right in line with biblical truth.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My previous post was not about Ravi Zacharias, but sensational work of Walter Martin. Those are two different people, with two very different approaches to things (Zacharias' editing of the lat Martian's book none withstanding).

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

May I suggest that you avoid the topic of the trinity, it is a large red herring that gets one nowhere.
The object of talking to any cult member is to show them the truth about Jesus and to sew doubts that God can use to bring them to faith.
verses like 2Cor13:5 Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test?
Even more of a challenge if you use the nwt.

To show the truth, sew a seed and to pray for them.