Word Study

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I've experienced a miracle on par with Jesus turning water into wine! But that only happened once.

Personally, after seeing all the reasons why Cessationists believe prophecy and tongues have ceased, it just appears to be a great big misunderstanding and false assumptions as to what their whole purpose was. They are both very important still today.
As I see it, there was the authentification of the apostles and the Faith on a wide scale, now it's more ministry to people, though God still authenticates with the supernatural.

Much love!

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember using the gift of healing, but didn't feel anything. But it worked miraculously.

cc: @Prayer Warrior
Yeah, when God used me to heal my daughter's thyroid, I didn't feel anything, but I had the "faith of God" or maybe gift of faith. I'm really not sure. But I had no doubt that my daughter would be healed. God has given that kind of faith to believe Him for other things, as well, but not always.

Reactions: Helen and marks

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I see it, there was the authentification of the apostles and the Faith on a wide scale, now it's more ministry to people, though God still authenticates with the supernatural.

Much love!

Yep, that's one. Actually, it was for all who believe, just like baptism is for all Christians. Mark 16:16-18

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, when God used me to heal my daughter's thyroid, I didn't feel anything, but I had the "faith of God" or maybe gift of faith. I'm really not sure. But I had no doubt that my daughter would be healed. God has given that kind of faith to believe Him for other things, as well, but not always.

I didn't have much faith at all, just obedience. I was amazed as anyone! LOL

Steve Owen

Oct 13, 2019
Exmouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
With this, seeing as all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, do you believe 1 John 1:8 and 10 had ever confessed their sins and been cleansed of all sin? Or that they had never confessed their sins and been cleansed of all sin, and were simply self-righteous?
I have very little time because I'm busy at church tomorrow and then away at a meeting of Gideons UK from Monday until Wednesday, so what I don't say now I won't say for a few days.
1 John 1:6. 'If we say......'
1 John 1:7. 'If we walk.....'
1 John 1:8. 'If we say......'
1 John 1:9. 'If we confess......'
1 john 1:10. 'If we say......'

So every verse starts with a conditional statement in the Subjunctive mood: 'If we should....' or 'If we were to......'
So each verse is referring to the same people - 'we' - that is, John himself and the people he is writing to, who are obviously Christians. They are John's 'brethren' (1 John 2:7); his 'little children' (1 John 2:18 etc.); his 'beloved' (1 John 3:2 etc.). He and they together are called God's children (1 John 3:1), their faith has overcome the world (1 John 5:4) and he and they together know that they are of God (1 John 5:19).

So to say that the people in verses 6, 8 & 10 are different from the people in verses 7 & 9 is sheer moonshine. they are one group of people, John and the folk to whom he is writing.

I will try to expound these verses when I have time, but that may not be until Wednesday. But a good, solid commentary will do the job better than I will. I recommend The Epistles of John by Dr Joel Beeke, but almost any one will do, I expect. Or do a Bible word search on 'walk.' That will be helpful to you.

Reactions: Helen

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The method of study I encourage is not a method to make one appear superior. It is a superior method because Scripture itself is superior to our philosophies and theories.
And yet you ignore parts of Scripture or definitions of certain words because you don't like them despite what majorities of scholars say a word means in a certain context. You try to brush it off with saying "oh that's just reformed scholars" despite the fact there is no truth to that claim.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have very little time because I'm busy at church tomorrow and then away at a meeting of Gideons UK from Monday until Wednesday, so what I don't say now I won't say for a few days.

So every verse starts with a conditional statement in the Subjunctive mood: 'If we should....' or 'If we were to......'
So each verse is referring to the same people - 'we' - that is, John himself and the people he is writing to, who are obviously Christians. They are John's 'brethren' (1 John 2:7); his 'little children' (1 John 2:18 etc.); his 'beloved' (1 John 3:2 etc.). He and they together are called God's children (1 John 3:1), their faith has overcome the world (1 John 5:4) and he and they together know that they are of God (1 John 5:19).

So to say that the people in verses 6, 8 & 10 are different from the people in verses 7 & 9 is sheer moonshine. they are one group of people, John and the folk to whom he is writing.

I will try to expound these verses when I have time, but that may not be until Wednesday. But a good, solid commentary will do the job better than I will. I recommend The Epistles of John by Dr Joel Beeke, but almost any one will do, I expect. Or do a Bible word search on 'walk.' That will be helpful to you.

I think you see these people have a problem, which I agree.

Seeing as John was Hebrew, I prefer referring to the Semitic writing style of "contrasts" that John used frequently, going back and forth comparing light to darkness, and repeating the process. Therefore 5, 7, and 9 are light; and 6, 8, and 10 are darkness. Because there is no darkness in God, these people in darkness are not born again. They have never repented, just depend on Jesus to save them, but are slaves of sin, and are believing the sins they are committing are covered and not imputed to them, thus they have no sin. They are just fooling themselves. There is no truth in them. Unfortunately, they are inside the congregations, but are the walking dead. The Church is full of them, but Jesus will say to them, "I never knew you."

Last edited:

Steve Owen

Oct 13, 2019
Exmouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Because there is no darkness in God, these people in darkness are not born again. They have never repented
You still don't get it! First of all, if 'these people' are not born again, then neither is John, because he links himself with them by hte word 'we.' Secondly, each verse contains a conditional clause: 'If we say......,' 'if we walk......' If I say to you on the basis of 1 Corinthians 12:3, "If you and I say that Jesus is accursed, then we are not speaking by the Spirit," that statement is true and it is true of both of us, but it does not mean that we are not speaking by the Spirit, because it begins with the word 'if.' If we don't say that Jesus is accursed, then we may well be speaking in the Spirit; it will depend on what else we say.

Now do you understand?

Invisibilis

Nov 9, 2017
Northern Rivers
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
John 3:3,
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Hebrews 4:12,

12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

There are words in your bible that are what is called keystone words. Two words stand out more than any other words in your bible as being keystone to your understanding. The word keystone means; "to bring together the whole or locking together."...
There are many today's words which have arrived from distorting the Words. Many of today's words are distortions of the truth, and need to be discerned to see the truth (Word of God/Truth). Others words have been altered, perhaps unknowingly, which actually reveals a truth, much like a parable in a single word. I find these quite revealing. For example: innocence (in-no-sense) of the world.

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Just curious! Does division of soul and spirit ever come up in the thought process of who-what is being stated in the verses being disected so far in the thread. It seems everything is being lumped together trying to get an answer. Am I reading this right? The verses in the OP read you must be "BORN" again and "DIVIDING" soul and spirit. What I'm not seeing is the verses that are being quoted by others is dividing, such as; Paul said you must divide soul and spirit, and in another verse he said you must rightly divide the word of truth. What am I missing, quoted verses either have to do with soul or spirit, not both. Paul said the word of God is able to divide soul and spirit. So the scriptures must be divided as well as soul and spirit. I understand some things are new to Christians, but the point is it is written and believers must learn to divide it, separate the two in the scriptures, or they will make no sense. It leaves people with no idea about their salvation, other than the works related doer type religion to suppress guilt.

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The simplest explanation that can be given on dividing soul and spirit by the word of God is; Colossians 2:10, "we are complete in him. That verse says it in very plain english, but all of the"in Christ" statements have to do with spirit. So the spirit is completed by Christ in you, what is not complete is your soul, your soul-mind is what it is referred to because soul is the seat of the mind, will, and intellect. The seat of emotions. The dividing of soul and spirit is something that is learned, taught to you by the HolySpirit. Always remember anything you are learning has to do with the HolySpirit because he is the teacher of the things of God.

Reactions: Helen

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You still don't get it! First of all, if 'these people' are not born again, then neither is John, because he links himself with them by hte word 'we.' Secondly, each verse contains a conditional clause: 'If we say......,' 'if we walk......' If I say to you on the basis of 1 Corinthians 12:3, "If you and I say that Jesus is accursed, then we are not speaking by the Spirit," that statement is true and it is true of both of us, but it does not mean that we are not speaking by the Spirit, because it begins with the word 'if.' If we don't say that Jesus is accursed, then we may well be speaking in the Spirit; it will depend on what else we say.

Now do you understand?

Oh, I "get it" just fine.

You are reasoning with a "western" mindset, as do many western teachers. Both John and Paul have an "eastern" mindset. That is why it is important to see scripture through their minds and interpret through their style of writing. 1 John 1:8 is repeating what Paul said, "For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." We all need to be cleansed of our sin. No one is born without sin. We can't go to heaven if we are still in darkness and believe false teacher's interpretations out of their ignorance of the source.

For instance, Romans 7:9 I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died.

Paul is talking of mankind, not himself personally as is argued non-stop by those who refuse to read in context. Otherwise, Paul was over 1300 years old, if he was alive before God gave the Ten Commandments at the time of that writing of Romans, because that is the law of commandments Paul is teaching about. (I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.”)

It is important to know more than verbs, it is important to know styles and idioms to know what the writer means by what he is saying.

Last edited:

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, I "get it" just fine.

You are reasoning with a "western" mindset, as do many western teachers. Both John and Paul have an "eastern" mindset. ...
VERY good point.

One of the most important steps in studying Scripture is to examine the differences between "us and them". You are correct that he makes the error of reading into Scripture his own worldview. It is very easy to do.

Reactions: CharismaticLady

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
VERY good point.

One of the most important steps in studying Scripture is to examine the differences between "us and them". You are correct that he makes the error of reading into Scripture his own worldview. It is very easy to do.

Their styles and idioms are crucial to understanding God's word written my Jewish apostles. We have to know the Jewish perspective.

Reactions: John Caldwell

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are reasoning with a "western" mindset, as do many western teachers. Both John and Paul have an "eastern" mindset. That is why it is important to see scripture through their minds and interpret through their style of writing. 1

Can we get an explanation of how to see through the minds of Paul and John pls?

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
VERY good point.

Many believe Luke was Greek, while others believe he was a Hellenic Jew whose mother tongue was Greek. Because of his use of a Semitic writing style of "parallelisms" used throughout Jewish Scripture, I believe the latter. Look at Acts 4:33

33 And with great power the apostles gave witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus.
And great grace was upon them all.

With the common word "great" we see that to Jews, grace is power. The definitions of charisma is both favor and grace, but also "a divinely conferred power or talent." That is why the gifts of the Spirit are called grace gifts, or charisma gifts, but also gifts of power.

cc: @soul man

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@John Caldwell and @soul man

Here is a use of a Hebrew idiom. Good eye and bad eye, refers to being generous or stingy.

Matthew 6:23
But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in you is darkness, how great is that darkness!

Luke 11:34
The lamp of the body is the eye. Therefore, when your eye is good, your whole body also is full of light. But when your eye is bad, your body also is full of darkness.

Reactions: marks

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 1:9 is ALL sin. Wouldn't that be sins of lawlessness too? Do true Christians commit lawlessness? Do you know what lawlessness is? It is not ALL sin, but a sin unto death.

Edit: I don't know if we are still conversing, so I'm going to make some tea. Check out the Lord's Prayer and determine what type of sin we ARE committing as Christians, and get back to me. Hint: keep reading past the Lord's Prayer in Matthew.

Sorry that I dropped our conversation, CL. Hope your tea was yummy! :)

I'm not sure when I'll be able to jump back into this discussion. Have a blessed Lord's Day!