Word Study

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I feel God's "assurance." I just don't like the modern twist on OSAS that some teach or believe. As Jude says it turns the grace of God into lasciviousness.
I think that when we teach the permenance of birth from God, we need to likewise teach how we can have that assurance.

Much love!

Reactions: John Caldwell

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The NASB is a literal word-for-word translation. These 6 translations use the term "practice" sin or "continue to sin." And there are others. I believe this is the correct context.

New International Version
No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God.

New Living Translation
Those who have been born into God’s family do not make a practice of sinning, because God’s life is in them. So they can’t keep on sinning, because they are children of God.

English Standard Version
No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God’s seed abides in him; and he cannot keep on sinning, because he has been born of God.

Berean Study Bible
Anyone born of God refuses to practice sin, because God’s seed abides in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God.

Berean Literal Bible
Anyone having been born of God does not practice sin, because His seed abides in him, and he is not able to continue sinning, because he has been born of God.

New American Standard Bible
No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

So how do you think it changes the meaning? Can you murder as long as you don't practice murder, or is it not in your nature to even murder once?

Reactions: marks

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I truly prefer to not start naming gifts to myself. I'm just never comfortable with that.

As far as the passage in Mark, I think this was part of the Kingdom offer to Israel. I think some things changed with Israel's rejection of Jesus in Acts 28. I think the signs and wonders have ceased, when the Gospel of the kingdom was withdrawn from Israel, but the gifts to the gentile church continue.

Just this once, perhaps, I think God has given to me words of knowledge, of wisdom, of prophecy, discerning spirits, faith (the Wow! kind), teaching, leading.

Much love!

That's quite a list! Praise God! One thing I've seen is that God has given me certain spiritual gifts (prophecy, for one), but He has also used me to heal. I don't believe that I necessarily have the gift of healing, but at times the Holy Spirit has moved on me and given me the faith to pray for healing. He did this with my daughter to heal her thyroid years ago. A recent blood test showed that her thyroid levels are normal.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I truly prefer to not start naming gifts to myself. I'm just never comfortable with that.

As far as the passage in Mark, I think this was part of the Kingdom offer to Israel. I think some things changed with Israel's rejection of Jesus in Acts 28. I think the signs and wonders have ceased, when the Gospel of the kingdom was withdrawn from Israel, but the gifts to the gentile church continue.

Just this once, perhaps, I think God has given to me words of knowledge, of wisdom, of prophecy, discerning spirits, faith (the Wow! kind), teaching, leading.

Much love!

I don't see it as what is for Israel, and what is for the Church. I see the Church as consisting first of Jews, then Gentiles being grafted into the SAME Church. So Mark 16 is for us also.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The NASB is a literal word-for-word translation. These 6 translations use the term "practice" sin or "continue to sin." And there are others. I believe this is the correct context.

New International Version
No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God.

New Living Translation
Those who have been born into God’s family do not make a practice of sinning, because God’s life is in them. So they can’t keep on sinning, because they are children of God.

English Standard Version
No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God’s seed abides in him; and he cannot keep on sinning, because he has been born of God.

Berean Study Bible
Anyone born of God refuses to practice sin, because God’s seed abides in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God.

Berean Literal Bible
Anyone having been born of God does not practice sin, because His seed abides in him, and he is not able to continue sinning, because he has been born of God.

New American Standard Bible
No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Let's take the NIV, "No one who is born of God will continue to sin,"

This would be the participle, "sins, ongoing", or "continues to sin". However, the participle isn't used. This is Present - occurring now, Active - I'm doing it, Singular - A single act. Simple grammar.

But a challenging truth about the old man and the new man.

Much love!

Much love!

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-22_16-40-59.png
    upload_2019-11-22_16-40-59.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 0

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that when we teach the permenance of birth from God, we need to likewise teach how we can have that assurance.

Much love!

1 John 3:21-24 is assurance to those who keep His commandments, and the proof of that assurance is answered prayer. For the first 30 years of going to church before I was born again, not one of my prayers were answered. After I was born again and filled with His Spirit 100% of my prayers are answered. And I don't mean with the false doctrine that God sometimes answers "No." It says we receive what we ask for. That is "Yes." The key lies in the gifts of the Spirit. So, no they have not ceased.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's take the NIV, "No one who is born of God will continue to sin,"

This would be the participle, "sins, ongoing", or "continues to sin". However, the participle isn't used. This is Present - occurring now, Active - I'm doing it, Singular - A single act. Simple grammar.

But a challenging truth about the old man and the new man.

Much love!

Much love!

The NIV is a thought for thought translation. PW and I were discussing word for word literal translations. NASB doesn't agree with my literal translation.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's quite a list! Praise God! One thing I've seen is that God has given me certain spiritual gifts (prophecy, for one), but He has also used me to heal. I don't believe that I necessarily have the gift of healing, but at times the Holy Spirit has moved on me and given me the faith to pray for healing. He did this with my daughter to heal her thyroid years ago. A recent blood test showed that her thyroid levels are normal.

It does say "gifts of healing", as if, there is a gift for a healing. This is different than, for instance, Peter walking down the street, and all who fell under his shadow were healed.

Much love!

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So how do you think it changes the meaning? Can you murder as long as you don't practice murder, or is it not in your nature to even murder once?

Jesus tied murder with hatred, which is in the heart. So, hating someone without repentance would be practicing murder in the heart, which can lead to the act of killing a person.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It does say "gifts of healing", as if, there is a gift for a healing. This is different than, for instance, Peter walking down the street, and all who fell under his shadow were healed.

Much love!

The key is, if God does it once, can't He do it again? Nothing has ceased.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
Not sure I understand what you're saying, but there is a gift of healing. I'm just not sure that I have that gift even God used me to pray for my daughter's healing, and she was healed. It may be splitting hairs, but I have operated in the gift of prophecy a lot more than healing.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus tied murder with hatred, which is in the heart. So, hating someone without repentance would be practicing murder in the heart, which can lead to the act of killing a person.

Yes, Christians are definitely held to a higher standard that the Old Testament law of Moses. But that is solely because they only had the carnal nature, where a born again Christian takes on the divine nature.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, there is a gift of healing. I'm just not sure that I have that gift even God used me to pray for my daughter's healing, and she was healed. It may be splitting hairs, but I have operated in the gift of prophecy a lot more than healing.

Me too, and for longer. LOL

Over 40 years in prophecy.
One year in healing.

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure I understand what you're saying, but there is a gift of healing. I'm just not sure that I have that gift even God used me to pray for my daughter's healing, and she was healed. It may be splitting hairs, but I have operated in the gift of prophecy a lot more than healing.
I'm just saying, the way I read it, as it says, gifts of healing, so I think in terms like you are describing, that you've being the conduit for certain healings, but its not like we can go into a hospital and just empty it out, like in the "signs and wonders" days.

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm just saying, the way I read it, as it says, gifts of healing, so I think in terms like you are describing, that you've being the conduit for certain healings, but its not like we can go into a hospital and just empty it out, like in the "signs and wonders" days.

Much love!

Actually, that has happened in John G. Lake's ministry in the early 20th century.