Working The Sabbath ???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We sometimes hear of students killing themselves for no apparent reason, it might be because they study too hard for 7 days a week, and their tired minds become easy prey for demonic attack.
Hence the importance of keeping at least one day of the week for relaxing and letting our spiritual batteries recharge, it's so important that it's the 4th Commandment.

rel-ten.jpg

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I recently began a new job that requires a five day working week in any severn days, meaning depending on the shift rota I'm sometimes required to work weekends but still only working five days in the week. When having to work Sunday I'm resting on one of the two days off in the week for the Lord in place of the Sabbath, is this ecceptable to God, or would I have to quit my job?
I work in a care home and when I first started I was often working on sundays, years ago in the U.K. sundays were a day of rest with most places closing, but sadly that doesnt happen now. I do get sundays off now , I am on a set rota. I do know that by law you can refuse to work on a Sunday on religious grounds, but I would wait until you get a permanent contract to play that card ( if it bothered you that much ) Personally I believe the sabbath rest is for our benefit and can be done on any day of the week, but that is just my own opinion.
Rita

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I work in a care home and when I first started I was often working on sundays, years ago in the U.K. sundays were a day of rest with most places closing, but sadly that doesnt happen now. I do get sundays off now , I am on a set rota. I do know that by law you can refuse to work on a Sunday on religious grounds, but I would wait until you get a permanent contract to play that card ( if it bothered you that much ) Personally I believe the sabbath rest is for our benefit and can be done on any day of the week, but that is just my own opinion.
Rita
@Rita Some jobs because they are in the care field are inherently 24/7 as far as their scope, potentially....

Reactions: BarneyFife and Rita

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We sometimes hear of students killing themselves for no apparent reason, it might be because they study too hard for 7 days a week, and their tired minds become easy prey for demonic attack.
Hence the importance of keeping at least one day of the week for relaxing and letting our spiritual batteries recharge, it's so important that it's the 4th Commandment.

View attachment 23641
It's great for us in SO many ways, and yet it's actually a day created to bring us much closer to God than just about anything else we could do.

If you notice, the first 4 Commandments are about how we love God, how to honor and revere Him and how to be in close relationship with Him.

The last 6 are about how we love and honor mankind.

So, when you look at it through that lens, you see how important it really is to God that we keep that day as a very special (even supernatural) space of time that was created just for us to fellowship with the Father and remember all that He has done, from the fascinating details of Creation to the heartwarming acts of dramatic destruction of enemies and His passionate and patient protection and guidance of those He loves, those who love and seek Him with all their heart.

Reactions: Dropship

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sustaining life and health is work that must be done 24/7 and it can be done with much benefit to the laborer while keeping the Sabbath. God does it all the time.

John 5
16And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the Sabbath day. 17But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heartwarming?
Yes, it is heartwarming to see God fight for us in our time of need, but it was the entire sentiment that was being referred to there.

You're a troublemaker, Qoheleth Fife. Gerhard Ebersohn (?) has your number and I tend to agree with his assessment of you.

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@GEN2REV, I don't see how the context helps the picture of God as a "heartwarming destroyer."
But we can drop it any time you like, Pal.
Pal? Trouble? Would you be needin' a safe space, maybe? :p

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@GEN2REV, I don't see how the context helps the picture of God as a "heartwarming destroyer."
But we can drop it any time you like, Pal.
Pal? Trouble? Would you be needin' a safe space, maybe? :p
Yeah, you're a BRILLLLLIANT psychologist.

Your greaseball attitude is making my case perfectly for me for all to see.

God deal with you as you deserve, deceiver.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
see how important it really is to God that we keep that day as a very special (even supernatural) space of time that was created just for us to fellowship with the Father and remember all that He has done..

Yes, and incidentally speaking of the supernatural, there are recorded instances of people experiencing the "False Arrival" phenomenon while doing something that has a heavy mental workload.
Basically they hear footsteps but when they look around there's nobody there.

Inexplicable

Mar 22, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for all your responses. However it seems God is simply saying DONT WORK SEVEN DAYS! but only SIX! for on the seventh day God rested from all he created, thus in reverence of our maker he wants us to rest on the seventh day and give him worship.

For who actually knows what the first day of creation was? and where the Sabbath falls? In terms of days of the week. It would be ideal for all christians to congregate on the same day, but God understands all humanity's work schedule is different.

SIX days shall you labour but on the SEVENTH day you shall rest to the Lord your God. So as long as you rest one day in seven to the Lord regardless of what that seventh day is you are in obedience with his commandment, am I right?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It's interesting that in the NT the Sabbath is not asserted in the same way as in the OT.

We know that the law was changed (Hebrews 7.12) and what we now have is better than the law (Hebrews 7.19).

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, you're a BRILLLLLIANT psychologist.

Your greaseball attitude is making my case perfectly for me for all to see.

God deal with you as you deserve, deceiver.
I confess that human psychology fascinates me in light of our duty to have the mind which was also in Christ Jesus (Philippians 2:5).

There doesn't seem to be that much to analyze here.

I am sorry that I made trouble and caused you to insult and slander me by daring to question your remarks about the warming of your heart that results from the destruction of the wicked. It seems to be in contrast with God's sentiments:

Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel? (Ezekiel 33:11)

And I'm sorry that I'm such a greaseball-y deceiver.

Did I misunderstand what you meant by "heartwarming?"

I pray that God deals with you according to His mercy and longsuffering. :)

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi

I recently began a new job that requires a five day working week in any severn days, meaning depending on the shift rota I'm sometimes required to work weekends but still only working five days in the week. When having to work Sunday I'm resting on one of the two days off in the week for the Lord in place of the Sabbath, is this ecceptable to God, or would I have to quit my job?
I believe it is perfectly acceptable to God.