Writing Music

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I noticed there's not thread for those interested in writing music. Surely there's brethren here that play an instrument, and/or write music.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I noticed there's not thread for those interested in writing music. Surely there's brethren here that play an instrument, and/or write music.

Hey Davy,

Yes. I'm a musician...I was called as such when I was converted to Christ. I do recordings in various styles. I don't really gig anymore. I write, compose and play bass and guitar and some keyboards..and sing periodically. I'm currently finishing up a world beat jazz album project (called ...Immanence).

I see a difference between songwriting and composing. A song centers on words and what it takes musically to back up the words. Composing involves a flow of musical ideas stated without words. Either way, music is an "unspoken" language that defies rationalization in and of itself. Classical music works because of an unlimited expression through sound impressions that work on the soul in deep ways. I see jazz working the same way. :)

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey Davy,

Yes. I'm a musician...I was called as such when I was converted to Christ. I do recordings in various styles. I don't really gig anymore. I write, compose and play bass and guitar and some keyboards..and sing periodically. I'm currently finishing up a world beat jazz album project (called ...Immanence).

I see a difference between songwriting and composing. A song centers on words and what it takes musically to back up the words. Composing involves a flow of musical ideas stated without words. Either way, music is an "unspoken" language that defies rationalization in and of itself. Classical music works because of an unlimited expression through sound impressions that work on the soul in deep ways. I see jazz working the same way. :)

Cool!

I played guitar for 40 years, but not much now. I started out with Folk and Rock, then Blues and Jazz-Rock. I took a couple of classes at Berklee School of Music (online) in Orchestration for Film and TV, so I can write for that, but I haven't done much with it.

Reactions: Episkopos

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi @Davy, I play the guitar but I don't think I'm that good at it. Sing much better. I have even written a few songs but I think they are more for singing when I am praying for people. IDK. I think I will stick to singing though. I love worshipping God either way xox

Reactions: Episkopos

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @Davy, I play the guitar but I don't think I'm that good at it. Sing much better. I have even written a few songs but I think they are more for singing when I am praying for people. IDK. I think I will stick to singing though. I love worshipping God either way xox

I don't sing, but I do try to make my melodies I write singable. I actually hum better.

If you could learn enough chords on your guitar, like open position chords, then it's just a matter of experimenting while singing to find the right chord that will go with it. And you can use a capo on the neck to adjust to your vocal range. So I wouldn't give up on the guitar, especially if you have a good voice.

A little music theory can help too, because if you can learn to hear the type chords various songs use, then you would have thousands of chord progression models for writing your own songs.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Linda Young and I have a CD coming out soon, hopefully before Christmas, of Christian songs we've written. We also recorded a CD in 2018. I'd post a link, but I don't know if that is allowed.

Last edited:

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suppose I play guitar so I can sing, though I enjoy playing the guitar, also.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Linda and I have a CD coming out soon, hopefully before Christmas, of Christian songs we've written. We also recorded a CD in 2018. I'd post a link, but I don't know if that is allowed.

I don't see why you couldn't post that. Might ask admin.

Are they Gospel style tunes? What style of music?