Yahwehs Food Laws: Why Hearken

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Based on your reasoning, we are to eat only herbs and vegetables. For that was God's law in the beginning. You have repeatedly mentioned that the first sacrifice was in the garden when The Lord made skins to cover Adam and Eve. That the law of Moses was still to be kept. That we are to keep God's law concerning food.

Genesis 2:9 - Before the fall

9 And out of the ground the Lord God made every tree grow that is pleasant to the sight and good for food. The tree of life was also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

Genesis 3:17-23

17 Then to Adam He said, "Because you have heeded the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree of which I commanded you, saying, 'You shall not eat of it': "Cursed is the ground for your sake; In toil you shall eat of it All the days of your life. 18 Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you, And you shall eat the herb of the field. 19 In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread Till you return to the ground, For out of it you were taken; For dust you are, And to dust you shall return." 20 And Adam called his wife's name Eve, because she was the mother of all living. 21 Also for Adam and his wife the Lord God made tunics of skin, and clothed them. 22 Then the Lord God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil. And now, lest he put out his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever"-- 23 therefore the Lord God sent him out of the garden of Eden to till the ground from which he was taken.

The truth of the matter is - Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another--to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God.

For the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy peace, gentleness, faithfulness, kindness and self control, against such there is no law.

For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

For one believes he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats only vegetables.

Do you have faith? Have it to yourself before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. 23 But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because he does not eat from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin.

Eat healthy. Be happy.

Don't try to convince people to keep the law of Moses.

Rather, strive to be filled with The Spirit and walk with God.

JLB

Excellent post, very encouraging and truthful, but unfortunately some seem to struggle with simply being content to be with God, they would rather be like God.
Tis the enticement and entanglement of the enemy which led to the fall, and he still uses it today.

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your motive is the key issue.

Do you profess to know my motives? I merely desire that my brothers and sisters in Christ follow after our Savior’s example and live healthy lives in accordance to God’s sacred Word. Jesus never ate biblically unclean foods and neither will you find any of His disciples condoning such a practice.

Eating healthy and exercising are good habits to being physically fit and active.

Yes they are. And all the exercise and activity will do little good if someone continues to ingest toxic substances and unclean food contrary to God’s specific commandments.

However your motive seems to be that of "obeying the law of Moses", which if you go down that road, it's all or nothing.

I disagree with the “all or nothing” statement. The OT ceremonial laws concerning sacrifice and the priesthood have undeniably been superseded by Christ’s atonement on the cross and the priesthood of all believers. However, some other of God’s laws are eternal in nature (the Ten Commandments) and others “just make good sense” to follow (clean food laws, circumcision, tithing, etc.) even though they do not directly affect our salvation.

Are you free of the obligation to obey the Ten Commandments?

Jesus Christ fulfilled the Law of Moses.

Regarding sacrifice, yes, however, Jesus clearly stated:

Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus declared that many portions of the Law should not pass away ‘till heaven and earth passes away' (last time I checked the earth was right were Jesus left it) and specifically warned against those who teach contrary to the ordinances of God. Heed His warning.

Please stop trying to motivate people to take on a "hybrid religion" of adding the parts of Moses Law to the New Covenant!

Even the scripturally ignorant Gentiles were instructed on some simple food laws. They were not to eat food offered to idols, (clean) animals that were strangled, or drink blood. THOSE ARE FOOD LAWS which you also must obey. Are you free to worship idols, make graven images, dishonor your parents, kill, bear false witness, steal, covet etc.? Those are “parts of Moses Law” which continue in the New Covenant.

It's all or nothing.
JLB

Repetition of a falsehood does not make it any more credible. For over four thousand years the Laws, statutes and ordinances of the Father were faithfully obeyed, revered and extolled by the righteous saints and Sons of God and many are still applicable today. Allow the Holy Spirit to guide your observance of the Law from the depths of your heart.

JLB

Mar 25, 2012
Do you profess to know my motives? I merely desire that my brothers and sisters in Christ follow after our Savior’s example and live healthy lives in accordance to God’s sacred Word. Jesus never ate biblically unclean foods and neither will you find any of His disciples condoning such a practice.

Yes they are. And all the exercise and activity will do little good if someone continues to ingest toxic substances and unclean food contrary to God’s specific commandments.

I disagree with the “all or nothing” statement. The OT ceremonial laws concerning sacrifice and the priesthood have undeniably been superseded by Christ’s atonement on the cross and the priesthood of all believers. However, some other of God’s laws are eternal in nature (the Ten Commandments) and others “just make good sense” to follow (clean food laws, circumcision, tithing, etc.) even though they do not directly affect our salvation.

Are you free of the obligation to obey the Ten Commandments?

Regarding sacrifice, yes, however, Jesus clearly stated:

Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus declared that many portions of the Law should not pass away ‘till heaven and earth passes away' (last time I checked the earth was right were Jesus left it) and specifically warned against those who teach contrary to the ordinances of God. Heed His warning.

Even the scripturally ignorant Gentiles were instructed on some simple food laws. They were not to eat food offered to idols, (clean) animals that were strangled, or drink blood. THOSE ARE FOOD LAWS which you also must obey. Are you free to worship idols, make graven images, dishonor your parents, kill, bear false witness, steal, covet etc.? Those are “parts of Moses Law” which continue in the New Covenant.

Repetition of a falsehood does not make it any more credible. For over four thousand years the Laws, statutes and ordinances of the Father were faithfully obeyed, revered and extolled by the righteous saints and Sons of God and many are still applicable today. Allow the Holy Spirit to guide your observance of the Law from the depths of your heart.

Are you saying Jesus Christ didn't fulfill the Law of Moses?

He either did or He didn't. Which is it?

Let not a double minded man think he will receive anything from God.

He fulfilled The Law or He didn't. Please answer.

JLB

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying Jesus Christ didn't fulfill the Law of Moses?

The Ten Commandments are generally referred to as "the Law of Moses" but they were written by the finger of God on stone tablets and forever consecrated in the Ark of the Covenant. Jesus stated in Matt. 19:8 that Moses decreed certain ordinances concerning divorce (and numerous other OT statutes) the Ten Commandments was NOT Moses' idea.

". . .for sin is the transgression of the law" (1John 3:4) If sin still exists then so does the law that pertains to it.

He either did or He didn't. Which is it?

Jesus fulfilled the law by walking sinlessly and granted salvation unto all that would call upon His name. We as His followers are, likewise, to the best of our born-again abilities to emulate His willful obedience to God's Law. His infinite mercy and grace will cleanse us when we sometimes fail but nevertheless we must confess our sins and sincerely repent of them. "Go and sin no more." (John 5:14) (John 8:11)

Let not a double minded man think he will receive anything from God.

Who's doubleminded? If you're (occasionally) a sinner then, you're still subject to God's Law.

He fulfilled The Law or He didn't. Please answer.
JLB

Yes, Jesus, as the spotless Lamb of God, perfectly fulfilled the Laws pertaining to blood sacrifice for the forgiveness of mankind's sin on the Cross of Calvary. He did NOT eliminate our obligation to continue to follow the Ten Commandments nor are we now free to ingest unclean food without consequence.

JLB

Mar 25, 2012
The Ten Commandments are generally referred to as "the Law of Moses" but they were written by the finger of God on stone tablets and forever consecrated in the Ark of the Covenant. Jesus stated in Matt. 19:8 that Moses decreed certain ordinances concerning divorce (and numerous other OT statutes) the Ten Commandments was NOT Moses' idea.

". . .for sin is the transgression of the law" (1John 3:4) If sin still exists then so does the law that pertains to it.

Jesus fulfilled the law by walking sinlessly and granted salvation unto all that would call upon His name. We as His followers are, likewise, to the best of our born-again abilities to emulate His willful obedience to God's Law. His infinite mercy and grace will cleanse us when we sometimes fail but nevertheless we must confess our sins and sincerely repent of them. "Go and sin no more." (John 5:14) (John 8:11)

Who's doubleminded? If you're (occasionally) a sinner then, you're still subject to God's Law.

Yes, Jesus, as the spotless Lamb of God, perfectly fulfilled the Laws pertaining to blood sacrifice for the forgiveness of mankind's sin on the Cross of Calvary. He did NOT eliminate our obligation to continue to follow the Ten Commandments nor are we now free to ingest unclean food without consequence.

Speaking for myself - I am dead to the law and it's ordinances. For I through the law died to the law that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

Now you on the other might feel an obligation to try and keep the Law of Moses.

For me. The One who fulfilled the law now lives and moves and has His being in me.

He bought me with His blood, I am His. My desire is for Him. He is my life.

I have no life apart from Him.

I am crucified to this world and to the law.

My faith is in Him alone. He works in me both to will and do His good pleasure.

My effort is not to "keep" the law, rather to lay hold of Him, to know Him, to walk with Him, to hear what His Spirit is saying to me.

To me, His commandments are what He is saying today, as well as Love The Lord with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your strength, and love your neighbor as yourself.

On these two commandments hang All the law.

JLB

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[quote name='JLB' timestamp='1339993759' post='154111']
Speaking for myself . . .

To me, His commandments are what He is saying today, as well as Love The Lord with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your strength, and love your neighbor as yourself.

On these two commandments hang All the law. --JLB [/quote]

I agree. However, if you really “Love The Lord with all your heart”, JLB, you’d cease with self-centered contrived excuses for not obeying simple commands like “keep the Sabbath holy”.

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The fundamental question is: Who/what determines what is considered as "food"?

In Gen. chapters 7 and 8 God showed us in great detail what He considers "clean" and "unclean" beasts.

Lev 11:46-47 This is the law of the beasts, and of the fowl, and of every living creature that moveth in the waters, and of every creature that creepeth upon the earth: (47) To make a difference between the unclean and the clean, and between the beast that may be eaten and the beast that may not be eaten.

Should we abide by God's decree or let our taste buds and social norms dictate our diet?