Circumcision Without Hands

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Keep reading Robert. Yes, part of what is removed is the desire to sin and break one of the major commandments. What else?
The context of the passage was the removing of the law maam. Christians all still have thorns in the flesh, of course they vary by individual, but each one is plagued by their own thorn, we wish to partake in it, but struggle to maintain our integrity. Does this make any sense?

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
We need to take a closer look at the verse which speaks of "circumcision without hands: In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ: (Col 2:11)

What is "the body of the sins of the flesh" other than "the flesh" itself. And "the flesh" is a metaphor for the indwelling sin nature within every human being -- the tendency and preference to sin rather than be righteous. So this spiritual "circumcision" means THE CUTTING OFF of the power of the sin nature over the child of God. Thus Paul Says "Sin shall NOT have dominion over you".

At the same time God does not eradicate the sin nature, which means that every Christian can sin. Not "will" sin but "can" sin. Therefore we have multiple passages in Scripture warning us against the works of the flesh. and exhorting us to "walk in the Spirit". In other words, no Christian can claim to be sinlessly perfect, but must examine himself or herself daily.
Man!
Shalom
Johann.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Yes it does. BTW, practices is not in there. It is commit - that means we can't sin a major sin of lawlessness even once.

As I said, even a baby has Satan's influence born into them, so if you say you don't sin never having repented you are a liar because "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. The next verse is HOW TO BECOME A CHRISTIAN WITHOUT SIN! We are cleansed of ALL UNRIGHTEOUSNESS, so how much sin is left? Are we still a liar if we tell the truth that Jesus took away my sin? 1 John 3:5; 1 John 3:9
Interesting-are you sinless, in word, thought and deed? A Yes or No would suffice.
Johann.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting-are you sinless, in word, thought and deed? A Yes or No would suffice.
Johann.
Yes. Are you ready to be part of the spotless Bride of Christ? Remember, if you aren't sinless, and still committing sins of the flesh you will not inherit the Kingdom of Heaven. Galatians 5:19-21. 1 John 3:1-3

Do you believe the doctrine of demons that we will always sin until we die and leave these earthly bodies? So you don't even try to keep yourself pure? If so, the demons will say: Gotcha!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The context of the passage was the removing of the law maam. Christians all still have thorns in the flesh, of course they vary by individual, but each one is plagued by their own thorn, we wish to partake in it, but struggle to maintain our integrity. Does this make any sense?
What do you believe removing the law means for us?

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If only it was all so easy. These traits do not come from a few words. If it did the Christian church would be flourishing and not devolving into a state of chaos. Hard inner work is required. Anyone who thinks that saying the salvation prayer instantly brings higher awareness and Truth is delusional and ignorant.
I agree. But the reason why the church is in the state it is is not God's fault. He provided His Spirit, and most don't teach on Him to even have His power inside of them. Instead they believe doctrines of demons who want them for themselves - continually sinning, never dead to sin, until they die. Demons doctrine is we will always sin until we leave these bodies of flesh. That is not what the Bible says, but people who are not born again of the SPIRIT, still find themselves with the desire to sin, the sin nature. Jesus never had the chance to circumcise them because they never submitted.

• Love
Reactions: Zachariah

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We need to take a closer look at the verse which speaks of "circumcision without hands: In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ: (Col 2:11)

What is "the body of the sins of the flesh" other than "the flesh" itself. And "the flesh" is a metaphor for the indwelling sin nature within every human being -- the tendency and preference to sin rather than be righteous. So this spiritual "circumcision" means THE CUTTING OFF of the power of the sin nature over the child of God. Thus Paul Says "Sin shall NOT have dominion over you".

At the same time God does not eradicate the sin nature, which means that every Christian can sin. Not "will" sin but "can" sin. Therefore we have multiple passages in Scripture warning us against the works of the flesh. and exhorting us to "walk in the Spirit". In other words, no Christian can claim to be sinlessly perfect, but must examine himself or herself daily.

Sorry Enoch for taking so long to read you post. I just went searching for it.

You are correct in that it is the "THE CUTTING OFF of the power of the sin nature over the child of God. Thus Paul Says "Sin shall NOT have dominion over you".

Look at what Paul said. So now take off "sin" away from "nature." When we are born again of the Spirit we have a clean nature that partakes of the divine nature of God. 2 Peter 1:2-4. Now if the Spirit now has dominion of you, who used to have dominion over us that influenced the "what" - sin? Look back at the list in the OP. And Look at 1 John 3:8-9. What you see as sin in our nature is only immature fruit - sins NOT unto death. What Christ freed us from were major sins from the Ten Commandments, 1 John 3:4-5, sins unto death, taking us from death to life. No one who continues to steal, lie, commit adultery or murder or other sins of the flesh in Galatians 5:19-21 has eternal life in them.

Jn1.Chris

May 25, 2023
Virginia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is cut off of a Christian that can't grow back when we are born again that makes us a new creature?
1. Condemnation
2. The Law
3. The desire to sin
4. Satan's ability to touch us
5. Satan's influence to sin
6. Temptation
7. The need to repent
8. Nothing

OK... had a brother in a Bible study who was responding to something I said and basically followed what you say in this thread. I was kind of shocked, as was everyone else in the study, and the convo went basically the same way.

So I said 'OK, great but DO YOU SIN?' and he just wouldn't answer the question. Because...YES I see the 'if you sin', which seems to mean 'IF" but not necessarily 'D'ONT' but to me that's a potential that I see no human ever fulfilling., even after being born-again.

The same thing happened in a thread I read last night.
Please answer Yes/No.
Answer: IN CHRIST THERE IS (etc.... same scriptures posted) and then 'you don't get it because you're not born of God.'

Just an UNWILLINGNESS to say ' NO, I do not sin.'

So, do you sin? Have you sinned since you were born again? I mean...obviously the answer is no, right?

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK... had a brother in a Bible study who was responding to something I said and basically followed what you say in this thread. I was kind of shocked, as was everyone else in the study, and the convo went basically the same way.

So I said 'OK, great but DO YOU SIN?' and he just wouldn't answer the question. Because...YES I see the 'if you sin', which seems to mean 'IF" but not necessarily 'D'ONT' but to me that's a potential that I see no human ever fulfilling., even after being born-again.

The same thing happened in a thread I read last night.
Please answer Yes/No.
Answer: IN CHRIST THERE IS (etc.... same scriptures posted) and then 'you don't get it because you're not born of God.'

Just an UNWILLINGNESS to say ' NO, I do not sin.'

So, do you sin? Have you sinned since you were born again? I mean...obviously the answer is no, right?
That question is asked by people who have not received the Holy Spirit's power over sins unto death inside of them. Jesus said, "few there are who find it."

I went to church for 30 years BEFORE finding it. So I can relate to the weak people who ask. I used to be weak too.

• Haha
Reactions: Keturah

Jn1.Chris

May 25, 2023
Virginia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That question is asked by people who have not received the Holy Spirit's power over sins unto death inside of them. Jesus said, "few there are who find it."

I went to church for 30 years BEFORE finding it. So I can relate to the weak people who ask. I used to be weak too.

Why don't you, and them, just say NO, I don't sin.? They act like it's some kind of mystery that the unregenerated cannot understand,, but I fully understand what NO means.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Yes. Are you ready to be part of the spotless Bride of Christ? Remember, if you aren't sinless, and still committing sins of the flesh you will not inherit the Kingdom of Heaven. Galatians 5:19-21. 1 John 3:1-3

Do you believe the doctrine of demons that we will always sin until we die and leave these earthly bodies? So you don't even try to keep yourself pure? If so, the demons will say: Gotcha!
Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality,
Gal 5:20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions,
Gal 5:21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

1Jn 3:1 See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him.
1Jn 3:2 Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is.
1Jn 3:3 And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure.

1Jn_3:3. The duty which our destiny imposes. ἐπʼ αὐτῷ, “resting on Him,” i.e., on God as Father. Cf. Luk_5:5 : ἐπὶ τῷ ῥήματί σου, “relying on Thy word”. ἐκεῖνος, Christ; see note on 1Jn_2:6. ἁγνός also proves that the reference is to Christ.

As distinguished from ἅγιος, which implies absolute and essential purity, it denotes purity maintained with effort and fearfulness amid defilements and allurements, especially carnal.

Cf. Plat. Def.: ἁγνεία εὐλάβεια τῶν πρὸς τοὺς θεούς ἁμαρτημάτων· τῆς θεοῦ τιμῆς κατὰ φύσιν θεραπεία. Suid.: ἐπίτασις σωφροσύνης. God is called ἅγιος but never ἁγνός. Christ is ἁγνός because of His human experience.

The duty of every one in view of his appearing before God, his presentation to the King, is ἁγνίζειν ἑαυτόν, like the worshippers before the Feast (Joh_11:55), like the people before the Lord’s manifestation at Sinai (Exo_19:10-11, LXX).

It is his own work, not God’s, or rather it is his and God’s. Cf. Php_2:12-13. Aug.: “Videte quemadmodum non abstulit liberum arbitrium, ut diceret, castificat semetipsum. Quis nos castificat nisi Deus? Sed Deus te nolentem non castificat. Ergo quod adjungis voluntatem tuam Deo, castificas teipsum.”
EG
Set on him (ep' autōi). Resting upon (epi) with locative rather than eis, looking to, Act_24:15. That is upon Christ (Brooke), upon God (D. Smith), upon God in Christ (Westcott).

Purifieth himself (hagnizei heauton). Present active indicative of hagnizō, old verb, from hagnos (pure from contamination), used of ceremonial purifications (Joh_11:55; Act_21:24, Act_21:26 as in Exo_19:10) and then of personal internal cleansing of heart (Jas_4:8), soul (1Pe_1:22), self (here). Cf. Php_2:12. the work of both God and man.
As he is pure (kathōs ekeinos hagnos estin). As in 1Jn_2:6; 1Jn_3:9 ekeinos (emphatic demonstrative) refers to Christ. Christ can be termed hagnos “in virtue of the perfection of his humanity” (Westcott). Our destiny is to be conformed to the image of God in Christ (Rom_8:29).
RWP

ἁγνίζει

Transliteration: hagnizei
Morphology: V-PIA-3S
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's no.: G48 (ἁγνίζω)
Meaning: To cleanse, purify, either ceremonially, actually, or morally.

---just as He is-
ἁγνός
Transliteration: hagnos
Morphology: Adj-NMS
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's no.: G53 (ἁγνός)
Meaning: (originally, in a condition prepared for worship), pure (either ethically, or ritually, ceremonially), chaste.

2) "Purifieth himself." (Greek agnizei) purifies, purges, or cleanseth (heauton) himself, reflexive pronoun. Paul kept his body under subjection, 1Co_9:26-27; John assured this daily cleansing was available to all, 1Jn_1:7-9; Tit_2:12.

3) "Even as he is pure." (Greek kathos ekeinos agnos estin). Just as or like that one (Jesus Christ) is pure. The purity and holiness of Jesus Christ is the goal of behavior to which each believer should strive – Mat_5:48; Heb_12:14; 1Pe_1:15.

I have 2 problems on this Forum-those that believe they are sinless in word, thought and deed-no need for them to stand before Christ to give an account and be judged according to our works-And 2. Some here have regular conversations with Christ, the Father and the Holy Spirit.

Nothing here about being "sinless"
Johann.

Reactions: marks and Keturah

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can't add the works of righteousness we are meant to keep of the New Covenant. They are separate.
That's making an arbitrary division between them. The writer here is a simply saying that salvation is not be works of righteousness, the only qualifier being, "that we have done", of whatever description. Works of righteousness are hereby declared not a foundation for our salvation.

Much love!

Reactions: Johann

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes it does. BTW, practices is not in there. It is commit - that means we can't sin a major sin of lawlessness even once.
This is a present tense verb which in Koine Greek means ongoing action, not a single act. And again there is no "type" of sin named here, just "sin". Adding words to change the meaning is poor interpretation in my thinking. We need to take our learning from what it says, and not from what it doesn't say.

Much love!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why don't you, and them, just say NO, I don't sin.? They act like it's some kind of mystery that the unregenerated cannot understand,, but I fully understand what NO means.
I did. My "yes" was to his question of am I sinless.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a present tense verb which in Koine Greek means ongoing action, not a single act. And again there is no "type" of sin named here, just "sin". Adding words to change the meaning is poor interpretation in my thinking. We need to take our learning from what it says, and not from what it doesn't say.

Much love!
True seekers of truth will make the effort; those looking for justification for their sin already accept they’ve found it, therefore twist the rest of the epistle to match their error, such as adding the sin-softener word “practice” throughout 1 John, though in Greek it is not praseo, but pasio!
The passage says, in Him there is no sin . . . period. You are adding to the Word and in doing so changing what it says.

Much love!
What do you believe IN HIM means? I believe it is the same as ABIDING IN HIM in verse 24.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality,
Gal 5:20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions,
Gal 5:21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

1Jn 3:1 See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him.
1Jn 3:2 Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is.
1Jn 3:3 And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure.

1Jn_3:3. The duty which our destiny imposes. ἐπʼ αὐτῷ, “resting on Him,” i.e., on God as Father. Cf. Luk_5:5 : ἐπὶ τῷ ῥήματί σου, “relying on Thy word”. ἐκεῖνος, Christ; see note on 1Jn_2:6. ἁγνός also proves that the reference is to Christ.

As distinguished from ἅγιος, which implies absolute and essential purity, it denotes purity maintained with effort and fearfulness amid defilements and allurements, especially carnal.

Cf. Plat. Def.: ἁγνεία εὐλάβεια τῶν πρὸς τοὺς θεούς ἁμαρτημάτων· τῆς θεοῦ τιμῆς κατὰ φύσιν θεραπεία. Suid.: ἐπίτασις σωφροσύνης. God is called ἅγιος but never ἁγνός. Christ is ἁγνός because of His human experience.

The duty of every one in view of his appearing before God, his presentation to the King, is ἁγνίζειν ἑαυτόν, like the worshippers before the Feast (Joh_11:55), like the people before the Lord’s manifestation at Sinai (Exo_19:10-11, LXX).

It is his own work, not God’s, or rather it is his and God’s. Cf. Php_2:12-13. Aug.: “Videte quemadmodum non abstulit liberum arbitrium, ut diceret, castificat semetipsum. Quis nos castificat nisi Deus? Sed Deus te nolentem non castificat. Ergo quod adjungis voluntatem tuam Deo, castificas teipsum.”
EG
Set on him (ep' autōi). Resting upon (epi) with locative rather than eis, looking to, Act_24:15. That is upon Christ (Brooke), upon God (D. Smith), upon God in Christ (Westcott).

Purifieth himself (hagnizei heauton). Present active indicative of hagnizō, old verb, from hagnos (pure from contamination), used of ceremonial purifications (Joh_11:55; Act_21:24, Act_21:26 as in Exo_19:10) and then of personal internal cleansing of heart (Jas_4:8), soul (1Pe_1:22), self (here). Cf. Php_2:12. the work of both God and man.
As he is pure (kathōs ekeinos hagnos estin). As in 1Jn_2:6; 1Jn_3:9 ekeinos (emphatic demonstrative) refers to Christ. Christ can be termed hagnos “in virtue of the perfection of his humanity” (Westcott). Our destiny is to be conformed to the image of God in Christ (Rom_8:29).
RWP

ἁγνίζει

Transliteration: hagnizei
Morphology: V-PIA-3S
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's no.: G48 (ἁγνίζω)
Meaning: To cleanse, purify, either ceremonially, actually, or morally.

---just as He is-
ἁγνός
Transliteration: hagnos
Morphology: Adj-NMS
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's no.: G53 (ἁγνός)
Meaning: (originally, in a condition prepared for worship), pure (either ethically, or ritually, ceremonially), chaste.

2) "Purifieth himself." (Greek agnizei) purifies, purges, or cleanseth (heauton) himself, reflexive pronoun. Paul kept his body under subjection, 1Co_9:26-27; John assured this daily cleansing was available to all, 1Jn_1:7-9; Tit_2:12.

3) "Even as he is pure." (Greek kathos ekeinos agnos estin). Just as or like that one (Jesus Christ) is pure. The purity and holiness of Jesus Christ is the goal of behavior to which each believer should strive – Mat_5:48; Heb_12:14; 1Pe_1:15.

I have 2 problems on this Forum-those that believe they are sinless in word, thought and deed-no need for them to stand before Christ to give an account and be judged according to our works-And 2. Some here have regular conversations with Christ, the Father and the Holy Spirit.

Nothing here about being "sinless"
Johann.
If you read the whole chapter you will see how easy it is to be pure when you have the Spirit writing His laws on our conscience. Just don't do anything against your conscience. Verse 21. When you have the Spirit, if ever, you can be sinless also by walking in the Spirit (part of Galatians 5)

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
If you read the whole chapter you will see how easy it is to be pure when you have the Spirit writing His laws on our conscience. Just don't do anything against your conscience. Verse 21. When you have the Spirit, if ever, you can be sinless also by walking in the Spirit (part of Galatians 5)
1Jn 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
My little children (teknia mou). Tender tone with this diminutive of teknon (child), again in 1Jn_2:12; 1Jn_3:18, but paidia in 1Jn_2:14. John is now an old man and regards his readers as his little children. That attitude is illustrated in the story of his visit to the robber to win him to Christ.
That ye may not sin (hina mē hamartēte). Purpose (negative) clause with hina mē and the second aorist (ingressive, commit sin) active subjunctive of hamartanō, to sin.

John has no patience with professional perfectionists (1Jn_1:8-10), but he has still less with loose-livers like some of the Gnostics who went to all sorts of excesses without shame.

If any man sin (ean tis hamartēi). Third-class condition with ean and second aorist (ingressive) active subjunctive again, “if one commit sin.”

We have (echomen). Present active indicative of echō in the apodosis, a present reality like echomen in 2Co_5:1.

An advocate (paraklēton). See note on Joh_14:16, and Joh_14:26; and note on Joh_15:26; and Joh_16:7 for this word, nowhere else in the N.T. The Holy Spirit is God’s Advocate on earth with men, while Christ is man’s Advocate with the Father (the idea, but not the word, in Rom_8:31-39; Heb_7:25). As dikaios (righteous) Jesus is qualified to plead our case and to enter the Father’s presence (Heb_2:18).
RW
Context
The Limits of Human Wisdom
…19Wisdom makes the wise man stronger than ten rulers in a city. 20Surely there is no righteous man on earth who does good and never sins. 21Do not pay attention to every word that is spoken, or you may hear your servant cursing you.…
Berean Standard Bible · Download

Romans 3:23
for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

1 Kings 8:46
When they sin against You--
for there is no one who does not sin--and You become angry with them and deliver them to an enemy who takes them as captives to his own land, whether far or near,

2 Chronicles 6:36
for there is no one who does not sin--and You become angry with them and deliver them to an enemy who takes them as captives to a land far or near,

Job 15:14

What is man, that he should be pure, or one born of woman, that he should be righteous?

Job 33:12
Behold, you are not right in this matter. I will answer you,
for God is greater than man.

Psalm 143:2
Do not bring Your servant into judgment,
for no one alive is righteous before You.

Proverbs 20:9

Who can say, "I have kept my heart pure; I am cleansed from my sin"?

Treasury of Scripture

For there is not a just man on earth, that does good, and sins not.

If they sin against thee,
(for there is no man that sinneth not,) and thou be angry with them, and deliver them to the enemy, so that they carry them away captives unto the land of the enemy, far or near;

(for there is no man which sinneth not,) and thou be angry with them, and deliver them over before their enemies, and they carry them away captives unto a land far off or near;

Job 15:14-16
What is man, that he should be clean? and he which is born of a woman, that he should be righteous? …

doeth

Isaiah 64:6
But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

If any man sin, we have
The change from the indefinite third person, any man, to the first person, we have, is significant.

By the we have, John assumes the possibility of sinful acts on the part of Christians, and of himself in common with them, and their common need of the intervention of the divine Advocate.

So Augustine: “He said, not 'ye have,' nor 'ye have me,' nor 'ye have Christ himself;' but he put Christ, not himself, and said 'we have,' and not 'ye have.' He preferred to place himself in the number of sinners, so that he might have Christ for his advocate, rather than to put himself as the advocate instead of Christ, and to be found among the proud who are destined to condemnation.”

An advocate (παράκλητον)
See on Joh_14:16.
With the Father (πρὸς τὸν πατέρα)
See on with God, Joh_1:1. An active relation is indicated. On the terms the Father and my Father, see on Joh_4:21.
The righteous
Compare righteous, 1Jn_1:9. There is no article in the Greek. Jesus Christ righteous. See on 1Jn_1:9.
MV

Guess you sit as a judge on the very Scriptures that says otherwise-I am astonished re your confession that you are sinless, in word, thought and deed-

J.

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1Jn 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
My little children (teknia mou). Tender tone with this diminutive of teknon (child), again in 1Jn_2:12; 1Jn_3:18, but paidia in 1Jn_2:14. John is now an old man and regards his readers as his little children. That attitude is illustrated in the story of his visit to the robber to win him to Christ.
That ye may not sin (hina mē hamartēte). Purpose (negative) clause with hina mē and the second aorist (ingressive, commit sin) active subjunctive of hamartanō, to sin.

John has no patience with professional perfectionists (1Jn_1:8-10), but he has still less with loose-livers like some of the Gnostics who went to all sorts of excesses without shame.

If any man sin (ean tis hamartēi). Third-class condition with ean and second aorist (ingressive) active subjunctive again, “if one commit sin.”

We have (echomen). Present active indicative of echō in the apodosis, a present reality like echomen in 2Co_5:1.

An advocate (paraklēton). See note on Joh_14:16, and Joh_14:26; and note on Joh_15:26; and Joh_16:7 for this word, nowhere else in the N.T. The Holy Spirit is God’s Advocate on earth with men, while Christ is man’s Advocate with the Father (the idea, but not the word, in Rom_8:31-39; Heb_7:25). As dikaios (righteous) Jesus is qualified to plead our case and to enter the Father’s presence (Heb_2:18).
RW
Context
The Limits of Human Wisdom
…19Wisdom makes the wise man stronger than ten rulers in a city. 20Surely there is no righteous man on earth who does good and never sins. 21Do not pay attention to every word that is spoken, or you may hear your servant cursing you.…
Berean Standard Bible · Download

Romans 3:23
for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

for there is no one who does not sin--and You become angry with them and deliver them to an enemy who takes them as captives to his own land, whether far or near,

for there is no one who does not sin--and You become angry with them and deliver them to an enemy who takes them as captives to a land far or near,

Job 15:14

What is man, that he should be pure, or one born of woman, that he should be righteous?

Job 33:12
Behold, you are not right in this matter. I will answer you,
for God is greater than man.

Psalm 143:2
Do not bring Your servant into judgment,
for no one alive is righteous before You.

Proverbs 20:9
Who can say, "I have kept my heart pure; I am cleansed from my sin"?

Treasury of Scripture
For there is not a just man on earth, that does good, and sins not.

(for there is no man that sinneth not,) and thou be angry with them, and deliver them to the enemy, so that they carry them away captives unto the land of the enemy, far or near;

(for there is no man which sinneth not,) and thou be angry with them, and deliver them over before their enemies, and they carry them away captives unto a land far off or near;

Job 15:14-16
What is man, that he should be clean? and he which is born of a woman, that he should be righteous? …

doeth

Isaiah 64:6
But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

If any man sin, we have
The change from the indefinite third person, any man, to the first person, we have, is significant.

By the we have, John assumes the possibility of sinful acts on the part of Christians, and of himself in common with them, and their common need of the intervention of the divine Advocate.

So Augustine: “He said, not 'ye have,' nor 'ye have me,' nor 'ye have Christ himself;' but he put Christ, not himself, and said 'we have,' and not 'ye have.' He preferred to place himself in the number of sinners, so that he might have Christ for his advocate, rather than to put himself as the advocate instead of Christ, and to be found among the proud who are destined to condemnation.”

An advocate (παράκλητον)
See on Joh_14:16.
With the Father (πρὸς τὸν πατέρα)
See on with God, Joh_1:1. An active relation is indicated. On the terms the Father and my Father, see on Joh_4:21.
The righteous
Compare righteous, 1Jn_1:9. There is no article in the Greek. Jesus Christ righteous. See on 1Jn_1:9.
MV

Guess you sit as a judge on the very Scriptures that says otherwise-I am astonished re your confession that you are sinless, in word, thought and deed-

J.
Soooo many" sinless " folk around, I just have 1 question..........WHY HAVEN'T THEY BEEN TRANSLATED TO HEAVEN ?

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.