“ASK WHAT SHALL I GIVE THEE ?”

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
yet none of us can even discern 95+% of creation, hmm. Many or most of us are closer to 1%, surely.

why eat beans when you can eat lobster, right

So, what would you really ask the Lord for, if He said to you-
"Ask what shall I give you?"

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@VictoryinJesus said:-
<So is wisdom evil? You said above in anoth2 Corinthians 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

Philippians 3:8 [8] Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,.>
======================

( My quote button is broken, I had to copy and paste :) )

So...If God asked you what He could give you...what would you answer?

I checked your posts and could see anything specific ... :)
Thanks ...H

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
So, what would you really ask the Lord for, if He said to you-
"Ask what shall I give you?"
boy, i dunno; i am especially blessed already. Wisdom would be fine, but hopefully it has come out here that asking God for something in His will is asking for pain, bc spiritual growth is painful, and God is not like earthly parents who spoil their kids. We (the nation) lack a vision right now, i might ask for that.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@VictoryinJesus said:-
<So is wisdom evil? You said above in anoth2 Corinthians 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

Philippians 3:8 [8] Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,.>
======================

( My quote button is broken, I had to copy and paste :) )

So...If God asked you what He could give you...what would you answer?

I checked your posts and could see anything specific ... :)
Thanks ...H

I am sorry I didn’t mean to post the post you quoted but was deleting and accidentally hit post. :confused:

What would I ask God for? living in fear for many decades of every single thing except God, I would ask to fear Him. I would ask to hate evil. Then wisdom would follow and teach the difference between good and evil. Then I would be content with Spiritual treasure and blessing.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What would I ask God for? living in fear for many decades of every single thing except God, I would ask to fear Him. I would ask to hate evil. Then wisdom would follow and teach the difference between good and evil. Then I would be content with Spiritual treasure and blessing.

Thank you.
Interesting...
I feel like I had a fear of God since birth...a few decades ago I realised that what is taught about the fear of God is not what God means about the fear of God.
I feared my parents because they were the grown-ups and they called the shots and I wanted to stay in their good books. (hmmm I wonder if that phrase came because of the bible...food for thought :) )
So I feared them, but always felt that I was cared for and loved. ( not that I ever heard the word 'love' come out of their mouth, ever)

But with God, I had the fear part, from the beginning, but I did not have the confidence of His love part...so I was unbalanced. One side without the other side is error where God is concerned.
When I found the love-side, and He showed me His heart...it was like being born again all over again!! A real revelation experience.
( that is probably why I get in so much hot water sometimes...when I contend that God is not the God that some people say that He is. lol )

Thanks for sharing. ....H

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
um, maybe, but i would say that even getting wisdom does not seem to make one immune from future sin?
Solomon et al demonstrate that they are still divided, still "two men in a field" so to speak

Sampson, Jacob, i could think of many other examples. And in Scripture i note the reverse is also true; those portrayed as "bad guys" are not as bad as we might like to think. Imo this is a literary way of hiding the truth in plain sight

Wisdom isn't enough to stop us from sinning, but why should we fear punishment with perfect love. Love's importance can not be expressed enough. If we love God we will love others in accordance with his will and commandment. Love is the means to obey the spirit of the Law. And our desire is to please him. This requires faith, so faith must increase with love.

I want greater love, aspiring to a love like that of Jesus'. That is my final answer.

Reactions: bbyrd009 and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Wisdom isn't enough to stop us from sinning, but why should we fear punishment with perfect love. Love's importance can not be expressed enough. If we love God we will love others in accordance with his will and commandment. Love is the means to obey the spirit of the Law. And our desire is to please him. This requires faith, so faith must increase with love.

I want greater love, aspiring to a love like that of Jesus'. That is my final answer.

I thought your post was EXCELLENT .....
I needed that...Amen.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thanks for the response.

As I lay in bed last night before sleeping I was asking myself...Okay if God did ask me this, what would I choose?
I need healing in some areas of my body, I could ask for healing, first for myself, so that I could then use the gift for everyone else in need.
But , I felt that would be selfish...so in the end I settled on insight just like you mentioned. :)
The more that I mused on it...the more I could see the blessing of true insight.
At the moment that is my choice, if I was offered one.
But , I may also change my mind if I see more wisdom from other people's responses. :)

@bbyrd009 @amadeus @aspen @Triumph1300 @mjrhealth @ScottA ..looking forward to seeing your wise posts on here too ....and any others. :)
Thsi I pray for everynight,

The mind of Christ, the heart and wisdom of God, to be filled with Him and emptied of me, to have His words on my lips, to be taught His ways and His truths.
For those who seek, let them find,
those who listen let them hear,
those who ask let them receive,
those who knock open then door and let them in,
And if you (Jesus ) knock and they answer, than enter in and sup with them

Varies a little.

1Co_1:24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

God bless

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen and amadeus

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @"ByBrace",

The prayers in Ephesians and Colossians say it all for me, in regard to what is needed, (paraphrased):-

That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory,
may give unto us the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him:
The eyes of our understanding being enlightened;
that we may know what is the hope of His calling,
and what the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,
And what is the exceeding greatness of His power to us-ward who believe,
according to the working of His mighty power,
which He wrought in Christ,
when He raised Him from the dead,
and set Him at His own right hand in the heavenly places,
Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion,
and every name that is named,
not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
And hath put all things under His feet,
and gave Him to be the head over all things to the church,
Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.’

(Eph 1:17-23 )

‘For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
Of Whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
That He would grant us, according to the riches of His glory,
to be strengthened with might by His Spirit in the inner man;
That Christ may dwell in our hearts by faith;
that we, being rooted and grounded in love,
May be able to comprehend with all saints
what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge,
that we might be filled with all the fulness of God.
Now unto Him that is able to do
exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think,
according to the power that worketh in us,
Unto Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus
throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.’

(Eph 3:14-21)

Praise God!
For His provision.
In Christ Jesus
Our risen and glorified,
Saviour, Lord and Head.

Chris

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you.
Interesting...
I feel like I had a fear of God since birth...a few decades ago I realised that what is taught about the fear of God is not what God means about the fear of God.
I feared my parents because they were the grown-ups and they called the shots and I wanted to stay in their good books. (hmmm I wonder if that phrase came because of the bible...food for thought :) )
So I feared them, but always felt that I was cared for and loved. ( not that I ever heard the word 'love' come out of their mouth, ever)

But with God, I had the fear part, from the beginning, but I did not have the confidence of His love part...so I was unbalanced. One side without the other side is error where God is concerned.
When I found the love-side, and He showed me His heart...it was like being born again all over again!! A real revelation experience.
( that is probably why I get in so much hot water sometimes...when I contend that God is not the God that some people say that He is. lol )

Thanks for sharing. ....H

My grandson had a karate test this past weekend. Family members were invited. The man talking to the kids asked the kids what fear is, and he asked if they had ever heard you are to fear the Lord? He asked them what kind of fear is that...to “fear the Lord”? I thought: wow this is great! I was shocked. There was a lot of people there and the Lord became the topic. Maybe I am too critical because I was really disappointed when, after no kids answered the question, he went in to telling them how to fear the Lord is fear not pleasing God. Is that true? Because what I read says something else: Proverbs 8:13
[13] The fear of the Lord is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

Ecclesiastes is a book on coming to realize it is all vanity. Which aligns with David's what fear of the Lord is: to hate evil: pride and arrogancy. Paul came to the same conclusion in "I count it all dung, that I may win Christ". It is not until that final verse that we see the conclusion Ecclesiastes 12:13-14 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. [14] For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

How does it become "fear" of not pleasing God the Father? Regarding Solomon's prayer for wisdom and understanding. Wisdom given by God? Or wisdom given by the world? Doesn't wisdom come by experience which is shown in Ecclesiastes as Solomon progresses toward the revelation of: it is all vanity. We all obtain more wisdom, hopefully, as we age. It would help if we could begin with "life experience" but it seems man, like with Solomon, must experience the downfall of it all. To say Solomon failed at application...would define us all. But if we all reach that final conclusion of: I count it all dung, that I may win Christ. Then have we lost? Are we not right where God wants us to be?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Wisdom comes from God. what we perceive as wisdom in this earth does not compare.

Rom_1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

1Co_4:10 We are fools for Christ's sake, but ye are wise in Christ; we are weak, but ye are strong; ye are honourable, but we are despised.

Lets seek after Gods wisdom,

God Bless

Reactions: Helen

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe in GOD and JESUS of course.......!!!!!!

But I know what's good and not good......... So I take that in to account and know that

I will try to always do the right things.......But we are human beings and I know that

GOD knows this and GOD know how we feel toward HIM !

So we will know what we are guilty of or happy about !

And we are guilty of making mistakes and GOD knows and we know.....

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country

sure, i agree. Seek wisdom bam. Recognize that you will still have an ego though, and your desire for sex with partners you find attractive, or eating food you find desirable, etc, does not abate with Wisdom. The world will still attract you iow. You can't get wise enough to avoid the pain that you will inflict upon yourself before you change your mind, might be another way to say that.

and for some ppl none of that might even happen, right, everyone is different. There are legit altar conversions, etc. But generally speaking, you are going to experience the same problems that most or all of the Scriptural characters experienced at one time. These do not mean that you failed, or that you cannot be forgiven now, or even that you now owe penance. They are a valuable part of learning, even if they are sins.

Reactions: amadeus

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not sure I'm wise enough to answer. Once I would have but just one thing is serious. To always be pleasing to God would be unspeakable.

Reactions: amadeus

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am beginning to feel that the word wisdom is close to, or the same as the word as the word discernment that Paul uses. Solomon was so discerning in that story of the baby and two women....
Which in one way brings us right back to insight again. :)
Insight = seeing.
Seeing into the spirit realm, seeing into the scriptures, seeing into the reason why and what of the world.

People quote -
“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom", and then they stop...the rest says:- "And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding."
The awesome wonder of the Lord takes us to wisdom. Wisdom takes us somewhere...into understanding...and into knowledge of the Lord.

Isn't that what it is all about...coming to the knowledge of the Lord?

The only fear I have of the Lord , is to lose His presences.
I did decades of "tying to please Him"...how arrogant.......to think that we in ourselves could ever please Him!!
Only His pure son 'in us' pleases Him.
Hidden and living in Christ brings the Fathers smile.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Last edited:
Reactions: Helen