“Bringing Me into Captivity”

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are usually at least two schools of thought concerning every issue and it has been said that any doctrine can seem to be established on part of Scripture, but the truth is established on the whole. Romans Seven is what I like to consider as the pinnacle-doctrine in spiritual-growth teaching concerning the condition of the believer.

The two schools of thought concerning Paul’s discloser are in the concept that he is either referencing his condition as a regenerate or as he was unregenerate. I believe the most significant exegetical practice when considering his discloser is to determine if what he was instructing would even be possible to know and divulge by an unregenerate man, e.g. would a natural (unregenerate) man even desire to “delight” himself in “God” (v 22)?

Unless you’re an “Eradicatonist” who believes “crucified” means dead and gone concerning the “old man” (Rom. 6:6), you would realize Scripture teaches the believer is not void of sinning (1 John 1:8), which is reasonably so when considering the existential (continued) existence of the “old man” (sin nature), which conversely so, one could not sin in the absence of the sin nature.

I believe the crux-issue concerning sinning is that one who is born again does not sin willingly, which means it is against his desire; unlike the natural man who desires to sin willingly. This is the central-teaching concerning the meaning of “captivity” (Rom 7:22). He who willingly sins is not a captive to it because he does so agreeably within his desire and he who sins unwillingly is captive to it because he does so disagreeably outside his desire.

This could describe the believer as a “free-captive”; free from the guilt and rule of sin—while captive to the wrongs done by the indwelling of his sin nature. To be ruled by the sin nature is to make it the desire you are after, which is not the situation of the believer, who is caused by the Spirit to be after the things of God (Gal. 5:17).

Romans Eight is a description of the condition of two different types of people; those who are “after” the sinful nature (flesh) and those who are after the Spirit of God. Here also is another central-teaching to understanding that “no man can serve two masters,” nor “can a stream bring forth both bitter and sweet water.” You’re either “carnally minded” or “spiritually minded”. One who is not born again cannot become spiritually minded, “Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be” (v 7). Likewise, one who is born again cannot become carnally minded, because he is “not in the flesh (after the sinful nature) but in the Spirit” (v 9).

Reactions: gregg

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Bring me out of the captivity of the devils grip that causes me to stumble and fall into temptation to sin and into the captivity of Christ the living Word making me one with the Word so that I am no longer falling for the devils deception because I know my Word and can't be moved for I am immovable, steadfast built of the firm foundation which is Christ The Rock the Stone who raises one up in integrity, good character, moral, just, honest, good, kind, becoming one worthy to receive honor for an honorable place in the kingdom of God becoming fit for a king or priest. For I dwell in the Word and the Word dwells in me. That is the captivity we should strive for.
We in our own flesh could have never saved ourselves.... but Jesus paid the price so that the Spirit of God could come into us and help us to renew our minds writing the Word upon our hearts to LOVE HIM and so that it is coming out of our mouth. For out of the abundance of the heart... the mouth Speaks!

Luke 6:45-49
45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.
46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?
47 Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like:
48 He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.
49 But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.
KJV
Matt 12:34-37
34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.
KJV