“I lost my faith at Bible college”

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A bible college devotes a lot of time to convincing the student to accept the doctrines of the college - with the proof-texts to go along with them. That is why there are denominational Bible Colleges.
People think that they are qualified to be preachers and teachers when they complete the two-year curriculum as if they know "all truth." And THAT is the beginning of man's failure to depend on God to teach.

And then this practice and worse-- this mentality is what is taken out to the churches..... You get seminary trained 'preachers' who perpetuate the myths, misunderstandings and mistakes they were taught, which they then teach others as if their beliefs are unchallengeable facts. This is why scripture includes warnings for teachers--- for the damage they do.

Reactions: Spyder

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
And then this practice and worse-- this mentality is what is taken out to the churches..... You get seminary trained 'preachers' who perpetuate the myths, misunderstandings and mistakes they were taught, which they then teach others as if their beliefs are unchallengeable facts. This is why scripture includes warnings for teachers--- for the damage they do.

You might recall my “What’s the matter? Don’t you trust the man?” church story.

Anyway, Paul commended those who searched the scriptures to see whether or not what he preached was true.

I do that with any preacher I listen to and, when I was a student, I did it with all of my professors.

• Love
Reactions: Spyder and Mr E

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
As part of the curriculum, I had to take two preaching classes. I did what I was required to do in order to pass the classes, but after I graduated ...

I used a form of preaching which my professors disliked, discouraged and wouldn’t allow in the classroom. It’s called “dialogue preaching” - the preacher does what preachers do, but the audience is allowed / encouraged to interrupt at any point in the sermon to ask questions and make brief comments. This form of preaching requires good management skills. There were times when the planned sermon wasn’t completed and / or had to be continued another time. The sermon veered, as needed, to meet the needs and interest of the audience.

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Poor is the pupil who does not surpass his master."
-Leonardo da Vinci

Apparently Da Vinci was unfamiliar with the American education system.

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As part of the curriculum, I had to take two preaching classes. I did what I was required to do in order to pass the classes, but after I graduated ...

I used a form of preaching which my professors disliked, discouraged and wouldn’t allow in the classroom. It’s called “dialogue preaching” - the preacher does what preachers do, but the audience is allowed / encouraged to interrupt at any point in the sermon to ask questions and make brief comments. This form of preaching requires good management skills. There were times when the planned sermon wasn’t completed and / or had to be continued another time. The sermon veered, as needed, to meet the needs and interest of the audience.
As I was not the type of Preacher that was acceptable to my last church (I tend to see the "hellfire and damnation kind of guy), I instead led a scripture study group. It worded just the same as your "dialogue preaching." I love my time with the class.

Reactions: Matthias

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I was not the type of Preacher that was acceptable to my last church (I tend to see the "hellfire and damnation kind of guy), I instead led a scripture study group. It worded just the same as your "dialogue preaching." I love my time with the class.
My encounters with the Holy Spirit led me to the love of heavenly things.

* I read my Bible through 7 times
* Read the whole John Bunyan 3 volume set and loved it
* Would regularly attend revivals and church events

And... I always hated that God did not call me to preach... Until Covid times came around.

* The sense of entitlement among people these days are high
* People set a standard of living very difficult to attain
* People would actually belittle others for not rising to their expectations of entitlement
* Covid - People took their fellowship online - Very few churches have but one service a week
* Revivals - It's been decades since I have attended a good one
* Donations - If your in ministry don't expect much in return from your fellow believers!

After our third or fourth preacher and after my ex-girlfriends third or fourth husband... I am glad I stayed out of it all! But still grieve in heart in what I would call Laodicean times.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spyder