“The Knowledge of Sin”

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Giving into temptation is what is meant by "occasion" (opportunity) to sin. No excuses for willful sinning except temporary immaturity!

Its best to be honest and not try to pretend that when you commit a work of the flesh, you didnt mean to do it.

So, "Use not your Liberty in Christ" to do that...

Paul said didn't say "become dead" but "is dead," i.e. never have existed (Jas 2:17; 20, 26)! The phrase "faith without works is dead" means there is no faith, because faith is never dead, it always produces the fruit of the Spirit.

James says that faith can be dead, so, Lets just believe him and not agree with your opinion.

James, explains that dead faith, is not dead Salvation, ... but its really just a state of becoming Cold to the things of God.
Jesus refers to this as "lukewarm"..

This is the Christian who does not think about the things of God, until Sunday morning, and after church is over, that's the last time they think about it, till next Sunday.

Lots of "Sunday Saints" in the body of Christ.

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its best to be honest and not try to pretend that when you commit a work of the flesh, you didnt mean to do it.
When one sins, he either meant to do it or he didn't mean to do it. When I sin it's never planned or intended. One can sin out of impulse, i.e. do or say something that was wrong but was not what you meant to do or say. Paul said that it was now his old self that sinned, and not his new self: "Now then it is no more I (new self) that do it, but sin (old man) that dwelleth in me (Ro 7:17, 20).

One can't avoid sin while possessing the old man! He owns up to the wrong, but makes a distinction between what he does with his new man, and wit his old man. This is what he meant by "captive" (Ro 7:23), he does wrong against his will to do right!
James says that faith can be dead,
The phrase "faith is dead" is compared to one who is lifeless without a spirit living inside. No faith is the same as saying no spirit (Jas 2:26). "For as the body (person) without the spirit (faith) is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Regardless of how one understands this, it involves one who is unsaved. One cannot have faith and no works (Jas 2:18), for faith always produces. This answers to why we see it say either weak or strong faith.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
When one sins, he either meant to do it or he didn't mean to do it. When I sin it's never planned or intended\

Do you have cable TV?

One can't avoid sin while possessing the old man! He owns up to the wrong, but makes a distinction between what he does with his new man, and wit his old man. This is what he meant by "captive" (Ro 7:23), he does wrong against his will to do right!

Paul was not saying that He was continuing to struggle with sin.
He didnt'. In fact Paul never confessed sin, not in one verse, = never.
This is because He understood "not under the Law, but under Grace". and "Christ is the end of the Law for Righteousness to everyone who Believes"....
Paul was showing in your verses the conflict that occurs when the person is trying to, by willpower and legalism, deal with their own flesh., instead of "reckon it dead" because the "old man of sin is dead".. "Crucified with Christ".
When you dont... then that carnal mindedness.... produces a inner war that can't be won, and can't be overcome.
Paul continued to teach, and taught that when we stop struggling to be good, and learn to accept the "renewed" mind that is the revelation of being "made righteous", then this is to have "worked out our salvation"< and Paul found and we will find our rest in God's Grace that produces this..

= "Christ ALWAYS gives me the Victory", over temptation., the flesh, and the devil.

""""""""The phrase "faith is dead" is compared to one who is lifeless without a spirit living inside. No faith is the same as saying no spirit (Jas 2:26). "For as the body (person) without the spirit (faith) is dead, so faith without works is dead also."""""""

Its symbolic.

James continues and says that "i will show YOU MY FAITH... by my works"...
Notice that he does not say..>"I will show GOD my faith by my works"

So, James's context is not about bearing fruit in front of God, as this is not necessary as God sees your HEART, and does not need to "fruit check you".
But other people, other believers, will cast their judgmental analysis on you, because the believers are told to "know you by your fruit", so, in their eyes, if you are a do-nothing Christian, in Real LIFE...... then that is in their estimation : "DEAD Faith".

This is why James is showing them that his faith in from of THEM>..... is proven by His "works"., so that they dont SEE HIM as having dead faith.

Regardless of how one understands this, it involves one who is unsaved. One cannot have faith and no works (Jas 2:18), for faith always produces. This answers to why we see it say either weak or strong faith.

Demas has no works., and left the ministry.
He's in Heaven. ..
So, a believer who is not focused on the things of God, and has their mind on Football, and Soccer, and Baseball, and Netflix, and Golf, and Hockey, and College football, and hanging out with friends all the time.... is not someone who is going to be a blazing light of Spiritual Fruit.
They are born again, as that is God's Gift, but, these secular worldly Christians, are what Jesus referred to as "Lukewarm" or as James says... "dead faith."

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 7 depicts the struggle with sin even the great Apostle to the Gentiles, Paul, had!

14 For we know that the law is spiritual:but I am carnal, sold under sin.
15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that I do not; but what I hate, that I do.
16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Paul highlighted the human struggle we experience. He knew that even those with God's Spirit still had human nature and have to resist the selfish pulls of the flesh while seeking to obey God's law. Paul summed up this struggle when he wrote: "I love God's law with all my heart. But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me.

Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 7 depicts the struggle with sin even the great Apostle to the Gentiles, Paul, had!

14 For we know that the law is spiritual:but I am carnal, sold under sin.
15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that I do not; but what I hate, that I do.
16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Paul highlighted the human struggle we experience. He knew that even those with God's Spirit still had human nature and have to resist the selfish pulls of the flesh while seeking to obey God's law. Paul summed up this struggle when he wrote: "I love God's law with all my heart. But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me.
The massive difference between a lip only and a heart only is this .
The true lamb hates the evils of its own flesh . IT wont justify , embrace , claim or hold to THE EVIL
rather if it errs it is convicted and REPENTS .
the false one says OH GOD IS LOVE and says THIS IS NOT SIN , THIS IS HOW GOD MADE ME . or words to that effect .
They live in sin daily , justify it daily , honor it and try hard to make JESUS into a minstir of sin that accepts their evil as good .
THAT LAMBS DONT DO . they HATE , as did pual , THE EVILS Of thier own flesh and will die daily and fight daily against the evil .

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

Paul continued. He didnt stop there.
I notice that many who discuss the NT, always stop in Romans 7, .. yet Paul didnt.

So, he was not describing "How its going to be for you"..
He was showing us what happens when we try to be keep the law/commandments to be righteous, or of our own willpower try to perform Christian discipleship.
It will fail..

Paul then goes on to explain and teach that we have to stop trying to keep law and commandments for the purpose of trying to gain or keep God's acceptance.

Those of you who actually own a bible and read it, vs, just staying deceived by commentaries , or by heretics who post teaching blogs online..... would recall that Paul said..

"I can do ALL things through Christ".
"Its not I but Christ who lives in Me"
"I die daily, and the life i live..... i live by the Son of God who Loved me and gave Himself for me"..

And this one.. "Christ ALWAYS gives me the victory"... .over the world, the flesh, and the devil.

See those verses...??? That is what Paul continued to teach well past Roman's 7.
Most never make it past Romans 7, .. they sort of park there and never recover..... and that is why their discipleship is a fail, and their understanding of the Grace of God, is also, zero.

• Sad
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Our understanding is different from one another on this issue!

Yes, i was just talking to someone who is like you.
They read Romans 7, and never went beyond it., nor did the heretic who wrote the commentary that has destroyed their discipleship.

They read :: "that which i hate i do".. and "that which i would do i cant'... and just like you, they apparently never read anything else that Paul said about it, taught about it, and that is why they dont realize that He isn't teaching that we are going to be like that..
AND people like you would have that as "real christianity".. as that is what you were taught.
Paul on the other hand... is teaching why he was at FIRST like that...., and then later he teaches how we are to become...."in Christ".

(Romans 7 is a companion to Philippians 3.)

Now.....Here is the END of that teaching that continued past Romans 7.... = "Christ ALWAYS gives me the Victory"..

See that word "ALWAYS"?

and "VICTORY"?

Notice that this is exactly the opposite of Romans 7 where you live, and breath, and teach, regarding your Christianity.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you die to the Law and rise with Christ and follow and abide in him if you so choose to, he will allow you to love God and love others if you die to your old ways of life.

Relationship with God is first and foremost.

Not mother, or dad or brother or sister first.

Whwn you die to sin; you live more for the spirit.

Sin will keep you in bondage,jesus will set you free

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
When you die to the Law and rise with Christ and follow and abide in him if you so choose to,

Its impossible to be joined God and Christ, as a born again Spirit, and not "abide" in them, as we are IN THEM, and Them in Us.

So, the abiding, that you are referring to, is the type of discipleship you are trying to pursue.

Also, Its God's Love that is manifesting, through us, and that is not our feelings.... Its not of ourselves.

Human love is sensual, and selfish, and greedy, and manipulative, and God's love is sacrificial.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thats why Nicodemous and Jesus have conversation about being born again, isnt it, @Behold

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Thats why Nicodemous and Jesus have conversation about being born again, isnt it, @Behold

Yes..

Nicodemus was trying to understand Christ's Spiritual words, through His Carnal mind.

Jesus said..."you must be BORN..... AGAIN".... .meaning by the Holy Spirit.

Nico thought...>"how can i come out of my mother a 2nd time". 'i wont fit"... ."im a grown man".

And Jesus explained it more carefully, ... showing him the difference between the "born of water", earth birth, and the born from ABOVE , birth #2.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul continued. He didnt stop there.
I notice that many who discuss the NT, always stop in Romans 7, .. yet Paul didnt.

So, he was not describing "How its going to be for you"..
He was showing us what happens when we try to be keep the law/commandments to be righteous, or of our own willpower try to perform Christian discipleship.
It will fail..

Paul then goes on to explain and teach that we have to stop trying to keep law and commandments for the purpose of trying to gain or keep God's acceptance.

Those of you who actually own a bible and read it, vs, just staying deceived by commentaries , or by heretics who post teaching blogs online..... would recall that Paul said..

"I can do ALL things through Christ".
"Its not I but Christ who lives in Me"
"I die daily, and the life i live..... i live by the Son of God who Loved me and gave Himself for me"..

And this one.. "Christ ALWAYS gives me the victory"... .over the world, the flesh, and the devil.

See those verses...??? That is what Paul continued to teach well past Roman's 7.
Most never make it past Romans 7, .. they sort of park there and never recover..... and that is why their discipleship is a fail, and their understanding of the Grace of God, is also, zero.
Many such like are named in the beloved scriptures such as self righteous, hypocrites, scoffers, puffed up clouds, self servers, vain worshippers, deceived, delusional, ect., thinking themselves to be a teacher of men, they are vipers and wolves seeking to retard the truth of God's word !

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Many such like are named in the beloved scriptures such as self righteous, hypocrites, scoffers, puffed up clouds, self servers, vain worshippers, deceived, delusional, ect., thinking themselves to be a teacher of men, they are vipers and wolves seeking to retard the truth of God's word !

Those who are not Grace minded ... and Salvation through Christ assured, can only understand their religion as : Law and Works and Commandments and Water Baptism.