“Welcome Holy Spirit”

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I read this a while ago in my 365 devotional: “Welcome Holy Spirit”

“The Roman emperor Constantine modified the religion of Christianity from a ministry movement involving every member to a spectator sport.

Where the church consists of an audience watching a few talented and often burned out up-front performers, there is much evidence of a lack of spiritual fitness. God’s will is that every Christian reveal the Spirit’s power through spiritual gifts so that the whole church be blessed. When this does not happen, because of Constantine’s model of the church, then it fails to fulfil it’s ministry in nurture, outreach and corporate worship.

For most of the first 300 years of its existence, Christianity was a small group house-church movement. As circumstances permitted the small groups would come together for a combined festival of prayer and praise, but it was only in the small group setting that every member of the body was able to use his or her spiritual gifts for the common good of the church. If the church consisted of ten members in a house, then at each meeting every member had an opportunity to minister with a song, message, special revelation, prophecy or tongue and interpretation. There were no spectators. All were participants.

The true gospel ministry in the Spirit’s power involves people caring for people rather than the impersonal, formal gatherings that have come to characterise much of cultural Christianity. Spiritual gifts, whether they involve supernatural powers, practical Christian service, outreach, nurture or leadership are all part of a team ministry. They centre in small groups, and extend into individual, midsize and large group activities. If you want to see spiritual gifts flourish as they did in Bible times, now is the time to become involved in this part of real Christianity.

I think the future of the church has to be to place more importance on small groups where people are in an informal and relaxed setting and can discover and use the gifts of the Holy Spirit to bless each other and the wider church. In these groups there is more scope for individual ministry, both to new believers as well as those in the church going through troubled times. They would be a much better place to learn and grow than in a large formal church meeting.”

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you want to see spiritual gifts flourish as they did in Bible times, now is the time to become involved in this part of real Christianity.
I see place for both sorts of assembly.

The first Jewish assembly meeting at the temple daily numbered at least between 5,000 and 10,000, and perhaps many more. The first Gentile assembly in Antioch, taught by Paul and Barnabas and others, was "a considerable multitude", using the same word as for the multitudes that came to Jesus, but adding a word to say a great many more.

Someone very gifted to teach and shepherd may have a number of people in their care. Where I think many churches get it wrong is that I think the NT churches did not use our "CEO" style of "head pastor" or "senior pastor", but instead had a group of elders, all of whom taught and pastored the people.

I've seen so many churches implode when their "senior pastor" dies, or leaves, but if you have a group of elders who share the oversight of the assembly, then if one is no longer there for any reason, everyone already is used to all the others.

I do agree that it's in the small groups that everyone has opportunity to serve others through their gifts. But I also think that there are vast opportunities in larger churches that people fail to take advantage of.

For me, Going to Church isn't just the programmed format, but before, and afterward, in the pews, in the aisles, the hallways, sharing in our impromptu small groups, assembled in that moment by the Holy Spirit, to serve someone's particular need. That sort of thing only happens in the big group.

At the end of the day, where two, or three . . . or more . . . are gathered.

Much love!

Reactions: Pearl

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

“The Roman emperor Constantine modified the religion of Christianity from a ministry movement involving every member to a spectator sport.

Where the church consists of an audience watching a few talented and often burned out up-front performers, there is much evidence of a lack of spiritual fitness. God’s will is that every Christian reveal the Spirit’s power through spiritual gifts so that the whole church be blessed. When this does not happen, because of Constantine’s model of the church, then it fails to fulfil it’s ministry in nurture, outreach and corporate worship.

For most of the first 300 years of its existence, Christianity was a small group house-church movement. As circumstances permitted the small groups would come together for a combined festival of prayer and praise, but it was only in the small group setting that every member of the body was able to use his or her spiritual gifts for the common good of the church. If the church consisted of ten members in a house, then at each meeting every member had an opportunity to minister with a song, message, special revelation, prophecy or tongue and interpretation. There were no spectators. All were participants.

The true gospel ministry in the Spirit’s power involves people caring for people rather than the impersonal, formal gatherings that have come to characterise much of cultural Christianity. Spiritual gifts, whether they involve supernatural powers, practical Christian service, outreach, nurture or leadership are all part of a team ministry. They centre in small groups, and extend into individual, midsize and large group activities. If you want to see spiritual gifts flourish as they did in Bible times, now is the time to become involved in this part of real Christianity.

I think the future of the church has to be to place more importance on small groups where people are in an informal and relaxed setting and can discover and use the gifts of the Holy Spirit to bless each other and the wider church. In these groups there is more scope for individual ministry, both to new believers as well as those in the church going through troubled times. They would be a much better place to learn and grow than in a large formal church meeting.”
Awesome!
Thank you for sharing!!!!
My heart aches for this message to get out and be put into practice. But I've all but given up on it.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

A big AMEN! Truth be told!

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Scripture basis for "Welcome Holy Spirit"?

Or even a scripture issuing thank you given to the holy Spirit?

I believe the Holy Spirit is God and One of the Three Witnesses within the One God, but the indwelling Holy Spirit was sent to testify of the Son thru us to glorify the Son and that has to include worship and not just in ministry.

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me: 27 And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. 15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

That means all credit, glory, or even a thank you or any response to the Holy Spirit is to be given to the Son instead.

The Holy Spirit would never lead the believers to take their eyes off of the Son at any time but seducing spirits aka the spirits of the antichrist by their visitations would do that living up to their identity as the spirit of the antichrist by accomplishing "instead of Christ" or to be more precise "instead of the Son" to tempt and seduce believers to chase after them to receive for a sign apart from salvation, believing them to be the Holy Spirit visiting.

John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I was Mormon for 10 years and one of the things that attracted me to it was that we as members would give talks in church, spirit filled talks. We would also visit members and administer to them in the Holy Spirit. What I didn't like was a lot of the false doctrine. I did like the words of wisdom as it led to a more spiritual nature for me to invite the spirit in more. And that and the Catholic church are the only ones I've been part of.

The Bible spells out that married people should be bishops and deacons in the church to oversee the people. And the Catholic church doesn't do that. The Mormon church does. There is a lot less false doctrine in the Catholic church but it still has false doctrine.

So I end up watching online mass because of health reasons and stuck with my choices for church. Bummer, hopefully God will have mercy on me for this.

Great point @Pearl. It really is important to be part of the Church not just a watcher, but a doer.

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Any assembly without the Holy Spirit is just a social gathering.

Can't ever happen because the Holy Spirit is in us for why there is no need to welcome the Holy Spirit into the assembly when we are there.

1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

To welcome the Holy Spirit in spite of the truth of Him dwelling within us always is to address some other spirit visiting the place and the apostle John would judge it as the spirit of the antichrist because greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world. 1 John 4:1-4 FYI

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Any assembly without the Holy Spirit is just a social gathering.
Amen!

He can be present in, and work in both large and small groups, I think. I've been in some pretty big groups when I don't think you could have convinced any of us that the Holy Spirit wasn't filling us.

Much love!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Amen!

He can be present in, and work in both large and small groups, I think. I've been in some pretty big groups when I don't think you could have convinced any of us that the Holy Spirit wasn't filling us.

Much love!
The best example of the Holy Spirit manifesting in a small gathering happened in my home after we joined a new church. A small group of us, strangers to each other at the time, met to pray, for what I can't remember. We all knelt against the chairs around the room with our backs to each other. We prayed fervently, in English and in our Spirit languages and then after a while and quite spontaneously we all started to laugh and ended up rolling around on the floor with tears rolling down our faces and unable to stop laughing. It was so freeing and didn't feel at all undignified which I'm sure it would have if it hadn't been the Spirit who moved in us.

Reactions: marks

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen!

Much love!

What talk is this?

Are you referring to feeling a supernatural phenomenon of a filling of the Holy Spirit? If so, scripture exposes that as not of Him.

Matthew 9:17 Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

This is why there are no more filling of the Spirit because we are not leaky vessels. We are always Spirit-filled since salvation so we can be held accountable to what we sow towards; the works of the flesh or the fruits of the Spirit with the help of Jesus Christ. Philippians 1:6 & Philippians 1;11

John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

Jesus did not lie. After having come to Him & believed in Him, we would never hunger nor thirst to be filled again.

Luke 11:9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. 10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. 11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? 12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Jesus said for the Father to give the Holy Spirit "again" is to infer He was evil as if He did not give the Holy Spirit the first time as promised at our salvation.

There is no more filling of the Spirit. There is abstaining from drunkenness due to excess of wine, which is just a call to remain sober as filled with the fruit of the Spirit which is temperance aka self control. There are other verses about being sober and it has no call for believers to seek to be filled with the Spirit so Ephesians 5;18 is about remaining sober, as in remaining filled with the Spirit by not getting drunk with wine.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you referring to feeling a supernatural phenomenon of a filling of the Holy Spirit?
There can be emotional feeling, certainly, but that's not exactly what I'm talking about, no.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are other verses about being sober and it has no call for believers to seek to be filled with the Spirit so Ephesians 5;18 is about remaining sober, as in remaining filled with the Spirit by not getting drunk with wine.

upload_2022-1-31_13-35-22.png
Be ye being filled . . .

Much love!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Be ye being filled . . .
@marks Our housegroup leader used to quote that phrase, which translation is it from? I have looked and looked for it and been unable to find it.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@marks Our housegroup leader used to quote that phrase, which translation is it from? I have looked and looked for it and been unable to find it.
This is the literal translation from Scripture4All.org. The grammer of the word is present tense, passive voice, It happens to you, and you are told to be being filled continually, that's the present tense.

Much love!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This is the literal translation from Scripture4All.org. The grammer of the word is present tense, passive voice, It happens to you, and you are told to be being filled continually, that's the present tense.

Much love!
But don't you know which bible translation it's out of, my friend didn't have internet.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But don't you know which bible translation it's out of, my friend didn't have internet.
No, I don't know a specific translation that reads that way. I'm sorry!

Much love!