“YOU WILL BE MY WITNESSES” Acts 1:8

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was not the surroundings in which the early church hoped . When they met
they didnt ask things like , do ya think if we had some indoor hot water it might bring more in to fellowship with us .
They didnt ask , well lets see if we had pews set up a certain way and maybe played some uplifting music is might help .
NO , they didnt care about the gathering place . THEY only cared about CHRIST and one another .
They didnt go out and buy lands , they often sold lands and gave to those who had need .
Earthen comforts did not bring them to Christ . T RUTH IS , they knew something that many no longer do know .
To live for JESUS , meant they were often gonna lose those comforts , OFTEN be on the run . OFten persecuted
hated by many . THEY didnt seek earthly pleasures and comforts , THEY SOUGHT JESUS and heavenly comfort .
HOPE was in HIM . And to live a life faithful to him , paul and others knew , meant , YA GONNA LOSE much in this life .
A lot of pauls letters that were written . Yeah they were not written from some grand suite , some fancy decked out place .
THEY WERE WRITTEN FROM JAIL . FROM PRISON . YET I SAW ALL HOPE IN THAT MAN . ALL JOY . ALL PEACE
cause to him the loss of all things were counted as dung , OH BUT TO KNOW JESUS was GREAT GAIN .

"THEY only cared about CHRIST and one another ."
And, how very simple is that...or should I say "was" that. Yet, I just know they are out there!! Something to keep in prayer, for sure brother.
And, I do praise His Name continually, how can ya run out of things or people to pray for???!! Couldn't happen :) so then let's "pray without ceasing" throughout our day's and nights, Amen! :)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well certainly, Pearl. I don't think we're in much disagreement, other than that I still think demonstrations of power have to come first or they will not take any heed to us one way or the other at this point. The reason there was so much noise around Him then was because of the following He developed as a result of the miracles He performed.

The works of power are what make "the noise" spread abroad. The love of Christ within us is what confirms that the Spirit manifesting those works is one of Love.

It was actually the people who were making the noise in the verse I quoted. But for there to be 'demonstrations of power' We need the Holy Spirit. When a Church belongs to Jesus then the Holy Spirit will be able to work in power but I can't see him doing that in today's world pleasing churches.

Reactions: Nancy

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was actually the people who were making the noise in the verse I quoted. But for there to be 'demonstrations of power' We need the Holy Spirit. When a Church belongs to Jesus then the Holy Spirit will be able to work in power but I can't see him doing that in today's world pleasing churches.

No prayer, or at least nowhere near enough of it. I know there is a lot of sin and a lot of division, but that could be covered over in Christ if they were to give themselves to Him. But so long as they will not fast and pray, IMO they can be as righteous and loving as they want to and it still won't make a hills worth of difference as far as receiving the outpouring. They have to understand that it cannot be them but Christ in them, and there is an exceedingly pronounced difference between the two. We now we need to die to ourselves (or at least many do); the issue is, when are we going to do it.

I don't see it happening anytime soon either, but criticizing on my part doesn't help anything, so I do my best to account for my own life and walk, and pray for others.

Reactions: Pearl

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Pat,
You got that right, the un-saved watch us like hawks! And yeah, why does it seem that "church" is supposed to be for the saved? I read one time that the church is not for Christians but for the unsaved. We gather to strengthen and lift one another up, and worship Him corporately.
I wonder how many here would, if they see one unfamiliar lone person, sitting with messed up clothes, hair or another thing that makes most people recoil. Would you not feel for that person? and just maybe he is there in hopes of finding "true" Christians who will teach him about the Lord.
My own attire is clean and in good repair. Not expensive, I go to thrift shops allot and STILL...when I walk into a mainline Evangelical church, I feel very alone amongst most there. Nobody wants to have a conversation to get to know you as, they are ALWAYS in a hurry, or would much rather find their friends so they can go out to lunch. "we might be entertaining angels unawares" :eek:
Great post Pat, ty!
xx

The FBI is probably watching us like hawks, as well - now that this site has become a far right political site.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The FBI is probably watching us like hawks, as well - now that this site has become a far right political site.

Can you stop WHINING, please! Sheesh.

Aspen, you need to get ahold of yourself, and I'm serious. You are OBSESSED with this political stuff.

Who gives a rip? There are more important things in life than politics, or this site for that matter. One of them is the Lord Jesus Christ.

Catch a grip, for Heaven's sakes. Ignore it and move on if it's effecting you that much. <Shaking my head>

Reactions: Pearl

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
He who was, He who is, He who is to come.
I was saved: I was justified and my spirit was reborn.
I am being saved: my soul is being transformed by practicing the daily cross, aka progressive sanctification.
I will be saved: when I am glorified, I will receive my eternal body.
This is the good news taught by the apostles.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you stop WHINING, please! Sheesh.

Aspen, you need to get ahold of yourself, and I'm serious. You are OBSESSED with this political stuff.

Who gives a rip? There are more important things in life than politics, or this site for that matter. One of them is the Lord Jesus Christ.

Catch a grip, for Heaven's sakes. Ignore it and move on if it's effecting you that much. <Shaking my head>

how is this whining? I not a Trumpster who has to pretend Donald is still President! The guy I voted for is being inaugurated on Wednesday...

Billy Evmur

Dec 30, 2020
London
facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We are his witnesses, each and every one of us who call ourselves Christian, but we aren’t necessarily good witnesses of God’s love and forgiveness. We all know people who have been put off church by Christians who have been bad witnesses to God’s love, grace and acceptance; people who have been intolerant, judgmental and plain unfriendly.

Our witness lies not only in what we say but how we are as well. People notice things like hypocrisy and back-biting. We like our cosy gatherings where every one is well dressed and polite; where we can feel holy, calm and peaceful in the presence of the Lord. But the purpose of the church is not to provide a social network for ‘good’ people but to reach out to those still in their sin. All saints have a past but all sinners can have a future.

So we all need to be good witnesses to God’s compassion for the lost and draw people to Jesus by our acts of love and kindness; our sincerity and generosity. Let us welcome into our church meetings those people who need God’s grace; the prostitutes, drug addicts and drunks as well as professional people with money and status. And let us love with all our hearts those who he has put us with in our church families and neighbourhoods.

There may be little obvious difference on the outside between Christians and good kind non Christians but God sees the heart, and the fruit we manifest in our lives is the fruit of the Spirit of God so therefore it is supernatural and so must have a great impact.

Good post

What if there is a doctrine, a theological system that perhaps 90% of the church has bought into and believes and clings on to like a babe clings on to it's teddy bear? what if this theology, this mind set, makes us be the kind of christian you are describing because the description sure is recognizable.

There IS such a doctrine, folks hold onto it as tight as they hold on to salvation and this doctrine, this theology has the effect of bringing evangelism to a screeching halt.

There IS such a doctrine, it is the doctrine that teaches that human beings have freewill. This doctrine comes along with the idea that in order to be saved a person must hear the gospel, must be convinced that it is true, must decide to turn away from sin, must turn to the Lord and must receive Him. Now all these things may be true ... but where it goes wrong is when we believe it depends upon human freewill and our task is to persuade the human freewill of all these matters.

As soon as you are confronted with the dopehead in the shop doorway or the hooker on the kerbside you are defeated before you even begin. You know there is ZERO chance, you come to be either levite that passes by on the other side or you become the fire and brimstone zealot calling down God's wrath unless they repent and do as you say.

Did you know evangelism was not like that in the bible? Did you know the NT does not once talk about human freewill? Human freewill only has about 4 entries in the OT and all to do with offerings [because God never demands back something He has given]

It is true that people must hear and believe and receive ... but that is God's job and He'll do it.

I love the story David Wilkinson tells about the gang leader who pulled a knife on him and frightened the living stuff outta him, and in his fright and confusion he blurted "Jesus loves you Nicky"

That's it baby, that's the whole kaboodle, that's all the gospel Nicky Cruz got .... and God wouldn't let him sleep until he came begging for it.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What if there is a doctrine, a theological system that perhaps 90% of the church has bought into and believes and clings on to like a babe clings on to it's teddy bear? what if this theology, this mind set, makes us be the kind of christian you are describing because the description sure is recognizable.

There IS such a doctrine, folks hold onto it as tight as they hold on to salvation and this doctrine, this theology has the effect of bringing evangelism to a screeching halt.

Especially in the traditional denominations there are people who are just church goers mixed in with born again believers. And it is true that the church-goers do not like change and they hold the church back. It was like that in my first church and the long term church-goers were determined to keep the status quo when the vicar and the born again people wanted to see a move of the Spirit.

It is true that people must hear and believe and receive ... but that is God's job and He'll do it.

I agree. We can sow precious seed but it is God's job to cause it to grow; to open eyes and ears at the appointed time just as he did with all of us.

I love the story David Wilkinson tells about the gang leader who pulled a knife on him and frightened the living stuff outta him, and in his fright and confusion he blurted "Jesus loves you Nicky"

That's it baby, that's the whole kaboodle, that's all the gospel Nicky Cruz got .... and God wouldn't let him sleep until he came begging for it.

David Wilkerson was a good role model. God spoke to him and told him what to do and he did it. And that was why he was safe among the gangs; he was under God's protection. If he had been their of his own volition he might not have been so safe. And last I hear Nicki Croz was still evangelising. Praise God.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nah. This is something Marks teaches, and the problem I have with it is that it presupposes the power of Satan will be greater than the power of God during the end-times. This is simply not true. Throughout history, whenever Satan has manifested supernatural power, the Lord has manifested even greater supernatural power to prove who the Most High God truly is. It will be no different during the end-times.

We have the Spirit, but we don't have the Spirit poured out in Power at the current time. If we did, we'd be seeing far greater works of power than we do.

He didn't have to. They were moving in the power of the Spirit during New Testament times, far more so than today (Acts 2:43).

Again, Friend Of The Lord, this is far too pessimistic an outlook in my opinion. The scripture says the harvest is the END of the age, and we won't see more souls coming to Christ than ever before if the Devil is the one doing all the works of power in this world. There would be no harvest if that were to happen.
Rather odd . paul and them had a life of harship trials , afflictions . They lived in dangerous times where you could
be in prisoned or even put to death . Govts corrupted big time . Evil in all places ,
YET that sure didnt seem to slow down their harvest . IT wont slow down the true lambs either .
Folks just need to be willing to lose everything for JESUS and stop putting their hopes in govts and men .
Cause no matter what one says , I am truly telling you all , ITS gonna get much worse , much more delusion
the falling away will only get more massive . But through it all we ALREADY have what we need . Get up and follow HIM .
Having no fear of man or what he can do . having no fear to lose houses , or cars , or the easier life .
Too many folks are waiting on what we already have . Instead we must be doing all now , WHILE WE STILL GOT the TIME .
Cause i do warn us all that door is gonna close . The night shall come wherein no man can work .
I suggest we pray to GOD . JESUS is the same yesterday and TODAY and forever . WE already GOT what we need .
WE HAVE JESUS and THUS we already have what we need .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The one who waits for an end time harvest will find they waited and they waited and they waited .
But he who gets up and labors will find won souls indeed .
How many years have many of them kept saying and waiting for some kind of revival or big harvest
Yet n the end all they did was wait . IF we want souls won , if we want the churches built up in sound bible doctrine .
WELL we already GOT what we need . JESUS . MARCH ON , and start DOING .
We are also warned of a massive falling away . So know and understand we will be fought hard against and resisted by many .
But at least some will hear .

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well certainly, Pearl. I don't think we're in much disagreement, other than that I still think demonstrations of power have to come first or they will not take any heed to us one way or the other at this point. The reason there was so much noise around Him then was because of the following He developed as a result of the miracles He performed.

The works of power are what make "the noise" spread abroad. The love of Christ within us is what confirms that the Spirit manifesting those works is one of Love.

First the Holy Spirit moves in power within the Church and from that move of the Spirit come the signs and wonders to outsiders. IMO

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"THEY only cared about CHRIST and one another ."
And, how very simple is that...or should I say "was" that. Yet, I just know they are out there!! Something to keep in prayer, for sure brother.
And, I do praise His Name continually, how can ya run out of things or people to pray for???!! Couldn't happen :) so then let's "pray without ceasing" throughout our day's and nights, Amen! :)
Yes indeed dear sister . We already have all that we need .
Let me list the five reasons i know we have all that we need .
J
E
S
U
S
He never changed . What the early church had , lambs have through all generations .
Our weapons are spiritual . PRAYER IS A HUGE SPIRITUAL WEAPON . SING IT SISTER .
Too many have made it all to complicated . I say , IF WE HAVE JESUS then we already HAVE ALL WE NEED .
And circumstances dont matter . Even in prison HE WILL be with the lambs . As i love to say , JESUS IS ALL WE NEED .
Yep . SO just leap and dance a jig of praise around that house sister . PRAISE the KING .

Reactions: Nancy and Pearl

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
how is this whining? I not a Trumpster who has to pretend Donald is still President! The guy I voted for is being inaugurated on Wednesday...
Aspen i noticed you did say a truth . They are probably already watching us .
My question to you is , to you truly believe that is a good thing or an evil thing .
In other words , when your president passes the new gender equality act , i wonder
will you turn this site in . cause you gotta know i am never gonna call gay marriage love . Or ever call good what God has called evil .
I will simply try and win them and others to Christ . But when your beloved and his Vp harris pass that law
Will you then turn around and report this site or men like me . It makes me no nevermind who turns me in .
I just pray their forgiveness .

Reactions: Hidden In Him

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some will marvel indeed at what is coming to pass . And the hands of those who did eat bread with us , WILL then report us .
Just forgive them . but never conform to a lie . not once , not ever .

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Aspen, you are way out of balance, and I don't mean in your views, I mean in what appears to be your focus these days. Hopefully I'm wrong, but you post on what appears to be only one topic.

Yes, the site swings quite heavily in favor of Trump. It's been that way for awhile now. But at any given time during the last year, this site could have also been viewed as too Catholic, too Baptist, too Calvinist, too BLM at one point, and too Trump (of course)... To make the claim that it is a far right political site is to suggest only one view is allowed. No offense but that comes off as whining. As for the FBI, who cares? Again, I don't want to be insulting, and in your case I most certainly wouldn't be, but come on. Who really gives a damn what the stupid FBI thinks. If they can't handle what we post now then we're going to prison someday anyway because eventually we won't be able to post genuinely Christian views on things like homosexuality anyway. So what are you worried about bringing it up for.

Can you just relax, please? You have always been a better man than this. What on earth happened to you?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rather odd . paul and them had a life of harship trials , afflictions . They lived in dangerous times where you could
be in prisoned or even put to death . Govts corrupted big time . Evil in all places ,
YET that sure didnt seem to slow down their harvest . IT wont slow down the true lambs either .
Folks just need to be willing to lose everything for JESUS and stop putting their hopes in govts and men .
Cause no matter what one says , I am truly telling you all , ITS gonna get much worse , much more delusion
the falling away will only get more massive . But through it all we ALREADY have what we need . Get up and follow HIM .
Having no fear of man or what he can do . having no fear to lose houses , or cars , or the easier life .

Up to this point of the post, I fully agree.
Too many folks are waiting on what we already have . Instead we must be doing all now , WHILE WE STILL GOT the TIME .
Cause i do warn us all that door is gonna close . The night shall come wherein no man can work .
I suggest we pray to GOD . JESUS is the same yesterday and TODAY and forever . WE already GOT what we need .
WE HAVE JESUS and THUS we already have what we need .

The door is not closing until Joel Chapter 2 is fulfilled. It is the written word of God, and therefore nothing is going to happen to prevent it.

The problem with your argument here is that the church currently assumes that all we have is all there is; that no amount of prayer will bring any more of the Presence and Power of God on the scene. This was never New Testament teaching. Even though they walked in far more of the Presence of God, they were nevertheless NOT satisfied with what they had, and you see this over and over again in the epistles.

If they were not satisfied when they were raising the dead and performing miracles, why should we be satisfied now when we are not? That doesn't make any sense.
The one who waits for an end time harvest will find they waited and they waited and they waited .

No one's talking about waiting. But it is about the wise expenditure of energy, knowing how things can be done well, and what little expectations we should have if we attempt to do them unwisely. If a farmer does not have a horse and plow (or today a whole host of farm equipment), having to do it all by hand is going to take a LOT more effort. So most farmers understood they were going to need some things going in if they wanted to plant some crops of any substantial size. Same with the spiritual harvest. YES we can be out there right now with a hoe and a shovel, but those who think they are going to get much done and invest all their effort in that rather than looking into getting some good equipment will end up investing a lot of energy to reap only minimum rewards.

You don't have to agree, and we are certainly after the same thing, but I think your approach isn't the wisest one to take.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First the Holy Spirit moves in power within the Church and from that move of the Spirit come the signs and wonders to outsiders. IMO

Mmmm... I would define His moving in power as a separate experience myself. It is consistently associated with the outpouring, and that I regard as a separate experience from receiving Christ by faith. But yes, there does most certainly need to be a work done in the believer first; a preparing of the vessel if you will. I equate the early Christian experience with the first three festivals of the Jewish year: Passover, Unleavened Bread and First Fruits. Then comes Pentecost. A believer must be incorporated into the body of Christ, receive the unadulterated word, and understand what good church teaching is. Then, when the Spirit is poured out, they know what to do with it.

And yes, under those guidelines I have to admit that I don't think many in the church are truly ready yet. We have been dumbed down very badly in modern times for one thing, and maybe this is part of the reason why we allow ourselves to get into too much division. If the preaching was better, maybe we would be in better shape.