1 Peter 3:18

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Regarding Mary... When Scripture talks about Mary, Jesus' mother, and His brothers visiting Him, what was His response?

Matthew 12:46-50, "While he was still speaking to the crowds, his mother and his brothers were standing outside, wanting to speak to him. Someone told him, “Look, your mother and your brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.” But to the one who had told him this, Jesus replied, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” And pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers! For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.

So much for your Catholic (false) exaltation of Mary!!!
I believe there is a reason for that. But let's not forget how the angel announced:

Luke 1:28 And having come in, the angel said to her, “Rejoice, highly favored one, the Lord is with you; blessed are you among women!”

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe there is a reason for that. But let's not forget how the angel announced:

Luke 1:28 And having come in, the angel said to her, “Rejoice, highly favored one, the Lord is with you; blessed are you among women!”
Mary was indeed blessed by God to be chosen to give birth to Jesus. But give doesn't give her anywhere near the status that the Catholic denomination gives her. She is barely mentioned at all after Jesus was born. And Jesus didn't regard her as special, as I have shown.

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Total self-justifying nonsense! I believe what the Bible clearly says, not the mythology of one single denomination, Catholic are any other.

BTW, since you obviously cut-and-pasted this from somewhere, you should give the source, otherwise it's plagiarism.
Simple question, Jim. Should be a simple answer, right?

If the Bible were so easy to interpret, why are there literally thousands of man-made Protestant denominations based on contrary and disagreeing interpretations of the same Bible. They all claim to be led by the Holy Spirit in their interpretations. But the Holy Spirit isn't the spirit of confusion or contradiction. The Holy Spirit is the spirit of Truth!

So, tell me. Why?

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Simple question, Jim. Should be a simple answer, right?

If the Bible were so easy to interpret, why are there literally thousands of man-made Protestant denominations based on contrary and disagreeing interpretations of the same Bible. They all claim to be led by the Holy Spirit in their interpretations. But the Holy Spirit isn't the spirit of confusion or contradiction. The Holy Spirit is the spirit of Truth!

So, tell me. Why?
The Bible is given to us so that we can understand God's message to people. Unlike yourself, some don't need priest-intermediaries to explain God's will to us. If you can't understand God's will directly I feel very, very sorry for you.

Believers are God's adopted children. Those of us who have a direct relationship with our heavenly Father don't need go-betweens. We can and do communicate directly with Him and read His word without others having to explain it to us.

You need intermediaries, just like the Old Testament described. Protestants do not need intermediaries.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's compare Catholicism to Old Testament Judaism...

OT Jews were the "chosen" people. Catholics believe that they are the "chosen" people and other believers -- God's adopted children -- are not.

OT Jews had a single person mediating between themselves and God. Catholics need the Pope mediating between themselves and God.

There was a separate priesthood in the OT. Catholics have a similar separate priesthood. Protestants have no need for intermediaries between themselves and the heavenly Father.

Forgiveness was accomplished by works (sacrifices) in the OT. Forgiveness for Catholics requires works: penance, prayers, etc.

OT Judaism was centered in one city: Jerusalem. Catholicism is centered in one city: Rome.

The OT Jews conquered indigenous people via warfare. Catholics also conquered indigenous people via warfare.

OT Judaism had, as its center, the temple in Jerusalem. Catholicism has its center as the Vatican in Rome.

OT priests dressed in ornate costumes. Catholic clergy dress in ornate costumes.

Jews confessed their sins to priests, then had to atone by works. Catholics confess their sins to priests, then have to atone by works.

The OT Jews erected a golden calf as an idol to worship. Catholics have many statues (idols) to worship.

The OT Jews worshipped Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Catholics worship "saints" (even though all believers are saints).

Jews have the Bar/Bas Mitzvah ritual to declare children as "adults". Catholics have confirmation for the same purpose.

The Jews, until recently, had an all-male "clergy". Catholics have, even today, an all-male clergy.

Jews practice infant circumcision. Catholics practice infant baptism.

The Jews burned incense in the temple. Catholics burn incense in church.

The Jews were divided in 12 tribes. The Catholics revere 12 apostles.

And there are undoubtedly more similarities between the old covenant Jews and the Catholics, but these were just "off the top of my head".

Protestants believe in Biblically-based, New Testament theology, not a reconstruction of Old Testament Judaism.