2 Timothy 3

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These threads have so very long at times, I will merely go with the first point and make a comment. Maybe this point was covered by another member, maybe not. Here goes.

2 Peter 1:5-7, "
And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;"

How important it is, as we grow in the Lord, to take these steps seriously. Notice that after one gets saved, he is to add to his walk virtue. How important that is, to hold the truth, not in unrighteousness, but righteousness (Romans 1:18). In other words, to hold to the truth with Christian character, dignity, honesty, goodness, decency, and trustworthiness. Next, we are to add to those virtues, knowledge, which demands a deep study of the Scriptures. Unfortunately, this is where so many believers stop the process for....

Once one gains knowledge and revelation, it is so easy to get puffed with pride, to feel like "I am the person and wisdom will die with me," to go around telling everyone what or why it is they are doing wrong, speaking wrong, or looking wrong (in attire, for instance), anything to show off one's few bits of knowledge. Everyone who comes within shouting distance gets admonished by these zealous individuals. Nothing can those around them do or say right. Always something needs straightened out.

This is why the next step is so very important. It is the addition of the one thing many believers never get around to adding, temperance. Control, discretion, forbearance, restraint, self-control and self-discipline are set aside because the wayward believer is far too intent on being the spokesperson for doctrinal correction.

This very important quality I did not have for many years, for, prior to finally being taught well, I had been duped into being a victim of several false doctrines and bad oversight. In my heart, I had so much hate for those who held me in their grasp for years that I was unwilling to forgive. Today, I pray for all of the church, and realize "except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it; except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain." (Ps. 127:1)

Last edited:

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These threads have so very long at times, I will merely go with the first point and make a comment. Maybe this point was covered by another member, maybe not. Here goes.

And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;"

How important it is, as we grow in the Lord, to take these steps seriously. Notice that after one gets saved, he is to add to his walk virtue. How important that is, to hold the truth, not in unrighteousness, but righteousness (Romans 1:18). In other words, to hold to the truth with Christian character, dignity, honesty, goodness, decency, and trustworthiness. Next, we are to add to those virtues, knowledge, which demands a deep study of the Scriptures. Unfortunately, this is where so many believers stop the process for....

Once one gains knowledge and revelation, it is so easy to get puffed with pride, to feel like "I am the person and wisdom will die with me," to go around telling everyone what or why it is they are doing wrong, speaking wrong, or looking wrong (in attire, for instance), anything to show off one's few bits of knowledge. Everyone who comes within shouting distance gets admonished by these zealous individuals. Nothing can those around them do or say right. Always something needs straightening out.

This is why the next step is so very important. It is the addition of the one thing many believers never get around to adding, temperance. Control, discretion, forbearance, restraint, self-control and self-discipline are set aside because the wayward believer is far too intent on being the spokesperson for doctrinal correction.

This very important quality I did not have for many years, for, prior to finally being taught well, I had been duped into being a victim of several false doctrines and bad oversight. In my heart, I had so much hate for those who held me in their grasp for years that I was unwilling to forgive. Today, I pray for all of the church, and realize "except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it; except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain." (Ps. 127:1)
Good word, thanks for sharing!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, Nancy, same here, mostly. I just gave up trying to be good and said, if its to be done, You will have to do it, I'm done trying. I can't do it.

I did have a time I walked away for a few months, prior to that. He showed me something of His glory and His immensity. I couldn't stand and I don't know how long it lasted, but I begged Him at some point to stop or I would die. It made me afraid of Him and uncomfortable and I just...tried to go back to the world for about two months, but it didn't work. I couldn't run away from Him. I wanted Him even if it killed me.
Sorry g/f, just now seeing this! Tell me, when you did finally surrender, did it feel like "coming home"? Because when I FINALLY surrendered, (and way longer than a few months of living "in" the world :oops:) It was like, coming home. Can't put it any other way ♥

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Once one gains knowledge and revelation, it is so easy to get puffed with pride, to feel like "I am the person and wisdom will die with me," to go around telling everyone what or why it is they are doing wrong, speaking wrong, or looking wrong (in attire, for instance), anything to show off one's few bits of knowledge. Everyone who comes within shouting distance gets admonished by these zealous individuals. Nothing can those around them do or say right. Always something needs straightened out.

Hi Hope in God,

I see these things as a step by step instruction to putting on Christ, putting on the new man - same thing -

I think that anytime we see one of these displaying wrongly we can go back to the one before. Do what we did at first.

When knowledge puffs up, we can know we've lost a certain desire for goodness. When we want to hit back, we've lost our right view of God. We lack self control because we don't know as we ought. What a study can be had on these things!

"except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it; except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain." (Ps. 127:1)

It has to be a labor of love!

Much love!