2300 or 1300 Daniel 8:14

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Feb 7, 2013
Hello everyone, God Bless.

I would like to share something that I came across which may shed some light on this topic. The debate is new to me, but I stumbled into it today as I was cross checking Strong's definitions against 3 versions of Daniel 8:14 (For reference the 3 versions were the KJV, ABP, and HOT on e-sword, all of which say "two thousand").

Indeed Strong's reference H505 does define what is written as "a thousand" which led me on a search with many people trying to reconcile biblically why they believed the text should read 1300 instead of 2300.

After several hours, I decided I had better research the Hebrew numbering system and this is what I found. http://smontagu.org/writings/HebrewNumbers.html

Toward the end of the page you will find a section heading titled Larger Numbers. with the following...
Because there is no symbol for zero, this will cause ambiguity in some cases.
ג Is this 3? 3,000? 3,000,000?
Possible solutions to this problem:
Adding the word for “thousands”. This will need special handling for 1,000 and 2,000 because of grammatical considerations.

אלף

ב׳ אלפים or אלפיים

Notice the actual Hebrew characters for 1000 and 2000 are different

Now compare them to Strong's H505
H505
אלף
'eleph
eh'-lef
Properly the same as H504; hence (an ox’s head being the first letter of the alphabet, and this eventually used as a numeral) a thousand: - thousand.

and lastly compare the original Hebrew text (+Strong's numbers)
14 ויאמרH559 אליH413 עדH5704 ערבH6153 בקרH1242 אלפיםH505 ושׁלשׁH7969 מאותH3967 ונצדקH6663 קדשׁ׃H6944

or here

יד וַיֹּאמֶר אֵלַי--עַד עֶרֶב בֹּקֶר, אַלְפַּיִם וּשְׁלֹשׁ מֵאוֹת; וְנִצְדַּק, קֹדֶשׁ.

14 And he said unto me: 'Unto two thousand and three hundred evenings and mornings; then shall the sanctuary be victorious.'

Indeed the text is correct to read 2300 days

Strong's mis-rendering of the Hebrew characters representing 2000 for the characters representing 1000 has caused Much confusion. What ever grammatical considerations were used by Strong in doing this I cant say, but it is clear from reading other peoples comments who are much more intelligent and well read than I am that both scholars and writers of even the most ancient scripts knew this (the Hebrew charcters for 2000 meant 2000 not 1000 as Strong implies) as such a basic fact that they found no need to clarify it.

Do you think this is a one off event?

No, not at all! Search "two thousand" (or even "two hundred") in e-sword and you will find many examples of where the word "two" is not present when referring to the number 2000 (or 200) especially in Numbers.

After seeing this it seems obvious that Hebrew grammer is not one of my strengths. I will be trusting on the Lord that he has Lead the writers of the Bible and has protected every word of it through the years just as it should be.

1Th 5:16 Rejoice evermore.
1Th 5:17 Pray without ceasing.
1Th 5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
1Th 5:19 Quench not the Spirit.
1Th 5:20 Despise not prophesyings.
1Th 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
1Th 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
I think Strong's just used the root for H505. אלפים is actually a plural form of אלף

Not sure what E-Sword is doing.

daq

HSN#1851
Feb 9, 2013
Olam Haba
Here is two pence from my forty two sense: :D

daq said:
What matters most concerning cubits, measurements, and numbers, is what the Scripture tells us they mean rather than what we imagine or assume they mean; this is even more critical with the Prophets because they are expounding Torah. How many ox-head-rulers of thousands until the qodesh is set right? Or is it simply thousands?

Matthew 2:6 KJV
6. And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes [GSN#2232 hegemon] of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel.

Micah 5:2 KJV
2. But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands [HSN#0505 'eleph] of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.

Until how long shall be the vision of the Tamiyd, and the transgression of desolation, to give both the qodesh and the tsaba' hashamayim to be trampled under foot? Until an evening-morning of two ox-head-rulers of thousands, three (little-horn-rulers) of hundreds, then shall be set right the qodesh!
For instance the Girgashite Warrior of the possessed man of the Gergesenos was a "dis-duo" double Legion. :)