7 Churches as Personality Types

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David Boyer

Aug 27, 2022
Moncton,NB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Has anyone ever given thought to the 7 Churches in Rev 2+3 as advise to 7 different personality types that will be present in the Tribulational period?

7 different sets of advise and rewards to different types of Christians that need that extra encouragement or advise to get through. Each grouping is identified as a Church belonging to God's body, but many need correction before the end while others need encouragement to endure.

Not all persons feel the same in their faith and I see many God fearing Believers who fit the description of one or more of the Churches in Rev 2+3. Myself included.

Maybe take another read with this thought in mind. If you are honest about your faith journey, you will do this little bit of homework before answering. Keep an open mind to this idea and honestly ask yourself if you fit into one of these Churches before answering.

There is some confusion about personality types. Maybe better to say seven types of personalities.

Last edited:

Keraz

Jun 20, 2018
Thames, New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The seven Church's of Revelation 2 & 3, are types, which can be thought of as a succession of Churchs thru the age or of all the types we see today.
The salient point as I see it is; how there are in each Church type - Overcomers for God, who receive the Blessings as stated:
1/ Ephesus; To those who overcome, I will give the right to eat from the Tree of Life......
2/ Smyrna; Those who overcome will not be harmed by the second death.
3/ Pergamum; To anyone who overcomes, I will give some hidden manna and a white stone....
4/ Thyatira; To those who overcome.....I will give authority over the nations.....
5/ Sardis; Those who overcome will receive a white robe....I will acknowledge them as My people.
6/ Philadelphia: Those who overcome. I shall make pillars in the Temple of God....
7/ Laodicea: Those who overcome, I shall grant a place beside My Throne......

Overcomer for God; is what Jacob was and he was given the name of Israel.
WE who overcome the temptations and trials of this world, are His faithful people and as such ARE the Israelites of God. Galatians 6:14-16

Reactions: Earburner and marks

David Boyer

Aug 27, 2022
Moncton,NB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Reactions: marks

David Boyer

Aug 27, 2022
Moncton,NB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The seven Church's of Revelation 2 & 3, are types, which can be thought of as a succession of Churchs thru the age or of all the types we see today.
The salient point as I see it is; how there are in each Church type - Overcomers for God, who receive the Blessings as stated:
1/ Ephesus; To those who overcome, I will give the right to eat from the Tree of Life......
2/ Smyrna; Those who overcome will not be harmed by the second death.
3/ Pergamum; To anyone who overcomes, I will give some hidden manna and a white stone....
4/ Thyatira; To those who overcome.....I will give authority over the nations.....
5/ Sardis; Those who overcome will receive a white robe....I will acknowledge them as My people.
6/ Philadelphia: Those who overcome. I shall make pillars in the Temple of God....
7/ Laodicea: Those who overcome, I shall grant a place beside My Throne......

Overcomer for God; is what Jacob was and he was given the name of Israel.
WE who overcome the temptations and trials of this world, are His faithful people and as such ARE the Israelites of God. Galatians 6:14-16

Did you read as I asked with an open mind? Which church resonates with you?

If it is Church ages then we are in the last age? What if that does NOT represent the way the present Church is acting/being? What if the Church is behaving as a Smyrna church?
We are not naturally Overcomers, but must do something to endure. It is on us and our actions to endure.

Keraz

Jun 20, 2018
Thames, New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
If it is Church ages then we are in the last age? What if that does NOT represent the way the present Church is acting/being? What if the Church is behaving as a Smyrna church?
We are near to the end of the Christian era.
There are examples of every one of the 7 types of Church around today. It is up to each individual to be strong in our faith and be ready for what the Prophets have told us will happen, leading up to the glorious Return of Jesus to reign on earth for the next thousand years.

David Boyer

Aug 27, 2022
Moncton,NB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We are near to the end of the Christian era.
There are examples of every one of the 7 types of Church around today. It is up to each individual to be strong in our faith and be ready for what the Prophets have told us will happen, leading up to the glorious Return of Jesus to reign on earth for the next thousand years.

Did you read the passages again with an open mind? Which church do you fit in best?

I'm not saying that the 7 churches can't be made to match some historical pattern... but is that how the church at that time saw themselves?
Which church ages are you matching to the Rev 2+3 references? The church ages in China? Church ages in Soviet Russia?
If all the church types are around today how can "the church" be in one particular age? Did Jesus or John say this is the way to interpret these passages?
I believe this whole idea of church ages is an invention of modern church thought and not how the passage is meant to be read.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you read as I asked with an open mind? Where do you see yourself?

Nice article opens the possibility that it is types of persons at the end times.
I don't have an open mind. I have an active one; a discerning one and an analytical one, and one willing to at least consider different ideas. If that's an open mind, fine. But it's not open to every wind of doctrine.

Like I said, I do agree with the Church Ages doctrine, and it's very close to what you have said, so I don't have much of a problem with it.

David Boyer

Aug 27, 2022
Moncton,NB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't have an open mind. I have an active one; a discerning one and an analytical one, and one willing to at least consider different ideas. If that's an open mind, fine. But it's not open to every wind of doctrine.

Like I said, I do agree with the Church Ages doctrine, and it's very close to what you have said, so I don't have much of a problem with it.

Really... I don't agree with the church age doctrine. It only works if you exclude wide swaths of churches and only focus on western churches. If you have a large enough shoehorn anything can fit.

But you haven't done the homework. I'm not looking for an empty mind but an open one. You say your mind is not open, so I guess not much I can do or say to you, and that makes me sad for you.

Blue Dragonfly's

Jul 15, 2022
not this Christian parody site
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Has anyone ever given thought to the 7 Churches in Rev 2+3 as advise to 7 different personality types that will be present in the Tribulational period?

7 different sets of advise and rewards to different types of Christians that need that extra encouragement or advise to get through. Each grouping is identified as a Church belonging to God's body, but many need correction before the end while others need encouragement to endure.

Not all persons feel the same in their faith and I see many God fearing Believers who fit the description of one or more of the Churches in Rev 2+3. Myself included.

Maybe take another read with this thought in mind. If you are honest about your faith journey, you will do this little bit of homework before answering. Keep an open mind to this idea and honestly ask yourself if you fit into one of these Churches before answering.
That's a unique perspective.

The 7 churches in Revelation actually existed in Asia Minor [Turkey today], in John's time.

Heed the Warnings for You Today in the 7 Churches of Revelation

David Boyer

Aug 27, 2022
Moncton,NB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That's a unique perspective.

The 7 churches in Revelation actually existed in Asia Minor [Turkey today], in John's time.

Heed the Warnings for You Today in the 7 Churches of Revelation

Yes the churches existed and probably had the problems that Rev 2+3 point out.
Yes the ages of the western church somewhat match the order of Rev 2+3.

But viewed in context of an apocalyptic vision.... There is a totally different meaning to them. If it was church ages then the previous 6 can be discarded as done with and finished. But I don't identify with the 7th church. I read the church I identify with and I break out weeping for the beauty of it all. And that is not a normal reaction for a 50+ year old Mennonite farmer. An anchor of incredible exactitude is written in Rev 3 that fits my entire life to a T. I will hold to it no matter the persecution to come.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Did you read as I asked with an open mind? Where do you see yourself?

301231780_3464843940465606_9042609036821082175_n.jpg

David Boyer

Aug 27, 2022
Moncton,NB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

I hope you have a point to make here. I know I am not perfect or part of any perfect congregation.... so what would be your point? Please don't make this thread into a place just to post obvious memes.

So did you do the homework? Do you see yourself reflected in the words of Rev 2+3? I am seriously looking for anyone who will take an assignment seriously. So far it looks like everyone here has a closed mind and is not willing to entertain a different thought.

Please prove me wrong and engage with the subject matter. I really am interested in an honest discussion. Are you? Or is this just a echo chamber for your own amusement?

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I hope you have a point to make here. I know I am not perfect or part of any perfect congregation.... so what would be your point? Please don't make this thread into a place just to post obvious memes.

So did you do the homework? Do you see yourself reflected in the words of Rev 2+3? I am seriously looking for anyone who will take an assignment seriously. So far it looks like everyone here has a closed mind and is not willing to entertain a different thought.

Please prove me wrong and engage with the subject matter. I really am interested in an honest discussion. Are you? Or is this just a echo chamber for your own amusement?
Thank you....:Broadly: :I know::threadskr:

Reactions: dev553344

David Boyer

Aug 27, 2022
Moncton,NB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thank you....:Broadly: :I know::threadskr:

So as an admin of this site... you are refusing to take a theological issue seriously? Really? Well that kind of sets the tone for the whole group.

p.s. Spurgeon got that quote wrong. The perfect church would be the glorified bride of Christ. Do you think Jesus would think less of His bride because I joined the body?

We all join a perfect Church and it is made better for it. Not here on this Earth, but in the one to come.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I think that the mind is a complex thing, and no I don't think we all think alike and have the same prototype personality. I think we all start at sort of potions around the lighthouse, and God leads us towards the lighthouse. And I think people join a church and represent that church due to differences in personality and therefore belief.

Is there one true church? Yes, and Jesus has shown us what that is in the bible. Is it on earth today? Haven't seen it yet.

As for the seven churches Jesus spoke to. He was leading them to the lighthouse.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
So as an admin of this site... you are refusing to take a theological issue seriously? Really? Well that kind of sets the tone for the whole group.

p.s. Spurgeon got that quote wrong. The perfect church would be the glorified bride of Christ. Do you think Jesus would think less of His bride because I joined the body?

We all join a perfect Church and it is made better for it. Not here on this Earth, but in the one to come.
Bless you xox:stageright:and :pray:

Reactions: marks and Taken

David Boyer

Aug 27, 2022
Moncton,NB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well I think that the mind is a complex thing, and no I don't think we all think alike and have the same prototype personality. I think we all start at sort of potions around the lighthouse, and God leads us towards the lighthouse. And I think people join a church and represent that church due to differences in personality and therefore belief.

Is there one true church? Yes, and Jesus has shown us what that is in the bible. Is it on earth today? Haven't seen it yet.

As for the seven churches Jesus spoke to. He was leading them to the lighthouse.

Well that was a lot of new age sounding nonsense to my ears. All roads lead to the lighthouse? Bollox. And I bet you didn't do the homework. Just do the assignment before commenting, please.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well that was a lot of new age sounding nonsense to my ears. All roads lead to the lighthouse? Bollox. And I bet you didn't do the homework. Just do the assignment before commenting, please.
Right... changing modes:watching and waiting:

Reactions: Angelina