7 PAGAN FESTIVALS WE STILL CELEBRATE TODAY ~ under the guise of Christian celebrations and names.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
So why should the changing of the times and seasons that God made be reserved for pagan holidays? I would think it better to reclaim those for Christ as had been done.

The pagan traditions however, probably should have been left alone. They have been integrated unnecessarily IMO.

Reactions: amadeus

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would think it better to reclaim those for Christ as had been done.

I've heard some Christians say we should reclaim the rainbow too.

But curiously, they refuse to put rainbow decals on the back of their cars for obvious reasons.

My wife says Christians should take the rainbow back, so I offered to get a rainbow decal to put on the back of her car for people to see as she's driving around town. She did not want to do that.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I've heard some Christians say we should reclaim the rainbow too.

But curiously, they refuse to put rainbow decals on the back of their cars for obvious reasons.

My wife says Christians should take the rainbow back, so I offered to get a rainbow decal to put on the back of her car for people to see as she's driving around town. She did not want to do that.
I wouldn't want to put any stickers on my car.

Someone here recently told me the LGBT Rainbow lacks the color blue, which is typically associated with God.

I wouldn't mind such a decoration so long as it is accompanied by a dove, Noah's ark, or religious message, in a Sunday school classroom.

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then people would think you are a Christian that supports the gay rights.

There are a growing number of churches now that are teaching God makes some people gay or transgender and they can be Christians and go to Heaven and it's all good.

I always wonder when they'll include others such as rapist, child molesters, mass murders etc and say God made these people they way they are too and it's all good

dad

Apr 17, 2020
private
normanbruleart.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why would a Christian bring a tree in his home and decorate it?

Jeremiah 10:2-4 (KJV)
2 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. 3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. 4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

And Santa? "He knows if you've been sleeping. He knows if you're awake. He knows if you've been bad or good."

A description of Jesus. Why do many of the most wicked people on Earth celebrate Christmas?
The idol worshipers used the tree for worship. Believers who put a tree up think of Jesus. You know, the star of Bethlehem, the manger etc.

• Love
Reactions: The Learner

dad

Apr 17, 2020
private
normanbruleart.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Then people would think you are a Christian that supports the gay rights.

There are a growing number of churches now that are teaching God makes some people gay or transgender and they can be Christians and go to Heaven and it's all good.

I always wonder when they'll include others such as rapist, child molesters, mass murders etc and say God made these people they way they are too and it's all good
Right, such as those that support the mass murders in Gaza

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The idol worshipers used the tree for worship. Believers who put a tree up think of Jesus. You know, the star of Bethlehem, the manger etc.
Why do you bring in a tree and decorate it? It has ZERO to do with Jesus.

• Haha

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No, I put a tree up because I like it, it’s pretty with all the lights. It brings back fond memories of my childhood , reminds of my mum and dad and it’s just something I have no issue with, it makes the cold and dark winter a little bit brighter. I have never really agreed with all the pressures and demands of Christmas as a Christian , but equally I don’t agree with the way the Church has claimed the day either Or integrated the two - I actually don’t like a Christmas tree in a church or the fact that they play along with Father Christmas.

• Love

dad

Apr 17, 2020
private
normanbruleart.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Maybe because Jesus gave us the greatest gift of all. So we may want to give especially children some gift as well. Maybe it makes people happy. Maybe it is a good time for family. Maybe some like to see the star representing that first Christmas on the tree. Maybe some like the manger scene around the tree. Maybe it is traditional. So that has a lot to do with Jesus.

• Love

dad

Apr 17, 2020
private
normanbruleart.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No, I put a tree up because I like it, it’s pretty with all the lights. It brings back fond memories of my childhood , reminds of my mum and dad and it’s just something I have no issue with, it makes the cold and dark winter a little bit brighter. I have never really agreed with all the pressures and demands of Christmas as a Christian , but equally I don’t agree with the way the Church has claimed the day either Or integrated the two - I actually don’t like a Christmas tree in a church or the fact that they play along with Father Christmas.
Sounds reasonable. But for some people the tree is part of thinking about Jesus as well. What I find offensive is the religious people like the JWs who hate Christmas or the evangelical types who think having a day to celebrate His birthday is all wrong. On the wrong day, celebrated wrong and all that. If they don't like little trees giving a fragrance to the home, they can suffer silently rather than accuse others as far as I am concerned

• Love

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I am not really into attacking others with different views, I probably do have the view that I don’t believe that this is the day Jesus was born, I hold to my own belief that Christians originally chose an alternative celebration on the day to counter the pagan celebrations. So when Christians claim it as solely ‘ their day ‘ and the pagan celebrations are wrong , I don’t think that is right. All of us join in traditions , these will vary from culture to culture - they are engrained into the counties in which we live,
they are also engrained within the church that we may align to - all churches have traditions ( even if they are not aware of them ) Man made rules that have integrated over the years.

• Wow

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand Rita. I was raised that way too. The tree doesn't really bother me but when Santa is given the attributes of Jesus, that bothers me.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe because Jesus gave us the greatest gift of all.
A tree?
So we may want to give especially children some gift as well. Maybe it makes people happy.
Nothing wrong with that. I give lots of gifts but not for Christmas.
Maybe it is a good time for family. Maybe some like to see the star representing that first Christmas on the tree.
Huh?
Maybe some like the manger scene around the tree. Maybe it is traditional. So that has a lot to do with Jesus.
How does Santa fit in claiming to "know when your are sleeping. He knows when you're awake. He knows if you've been bad or good", equating Santa with Jesus? And then when children find out Santa is a LIE, why would they believe in Jesus?

You think that doesn't DAMAGE children?

dad

Apr 17, 2020
private
normanbruleart.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hanging on the tree
The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree. Acts 5:30
Nothing wrong with that. I give lots of gifts but not for Christmas.
Get stingy that time of year if you like.
Huh?

How does Santa fit in claiming to "know when your are sleeping. He knows when you're awake. He knows if you've been bad or good", equating Santa with Jesus? And then when children find out Santa is a LIE, why would they believe in Jesus?
Did I even mention saint Nick?
If one is celebrating Jesus, why would one include the fat clown?
You think that doesn't DAMAGE children?
No. Loving parents teaching them about God and trying to relate Christmas as His birthday are great. What damages people is the self righteous, stinky religionists that grinch up a nice day

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hanging on the tree
The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree. Acts 5:30
Jesus was a Christmas decoration?
Get stingy that time of year if you like.
I'm never stingy. Please don't lie.
Did I even mention saint Nick?
If one is celebrating Jesus, why would one include the fat clown?
Santa and Christmas go hand in hand.
No. Loving parents teaching them about God and trying to relate Christmas as His birthday are great.
Ain't no relation to Christmas and Jesus! NONE!
What damages people is the self righteous, stinky religionists that grinch up a nice day
Who would that be? If Christmas had anything to do with Jesus Liberals would HATE it. Liberals LOVE Christmas!

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cassandra suggested a thread on this so I am starting one.

It is important to look at the link but I suggest we take one festival at a time and lets try to figure out
why they chose a tie in with a Pagan festival.

Preview in the link says:

NOW~ I have a couple of unexplained questions and this is one of them.... perhap there are some opinions out there.

A. We celebrate the birth of the christ child on December 25 and the date of that never changes from year to year. We also know He was not born on that date nor in the month of December. But world wide
this is an accepted time..... EXCEPT for the Orthodox who celebrate it on Jan. 7 in 19 countries and Jan. 6 in 2 countries.

So why was December 25 picked as there is not one biblical reference that would suggest this.

This link from History.com may shed a light. (It is a very insightful read.)

What say you?

Cassandra suggested a thread on this so I am starting one.

It is important to look at the link but I suggest we take one festival at a time and lets try to figure out
why they chose a tie in with a Pagan festival.

Preview in the link says:

NOW~ I have a couple of unexplained questions and this is one of them.... perhap there are some opinions out there.

A. We celebrate the birth of the christ child on December 25 and the date of that never changes from year to year. We also know He was not born on that date nor in the month of December. But world wide
this is an accepted time..... EXCEPT for the Orthodox who celebrate it on Jan. 7 in 19 countries and Jan. 6 in 2 countries.

So why was December 25 picked as there is not one biblical reference that would suggest this.

This link from History.com may shed a light. (It is a very insightful read.)

What say you?

The history of it all is mostly Christian.
Emperor Constantine combined some of the Christian and Pagan holidays so that commerce and such would not be shutdown so often. The Christians celebrate the Christian holiday and the Pagans celebrate the Pagan holiday on the same day.

Do you celebrate Christmas by building a fire at night and sacrificing goats and dance naked around the fire? Or is it a Christian family holiday that most of the customs like the Yule Log and Christmas tree and Santa Claus where customs that occurred after the Protestant Reform. The Twelve Days of Christmas was started by the Council of Tours and like Epiphany it is celebrated differently in Christian countries.

Same thing for Easter…..Do you celibate the Goddess of Spring or the Resurrection of Christ?
Eggs in Christianity carry a Trinitarian symbolism as shell, yolk, and albumen are three parts of one egg. According to many sources, the Christian custom of Easter eggs started among the early Christians of Mesopotamia, who stained them with red coloring "in memory of the blood of Christ, shed at His crucifixion".

The custom of the Easter egg hunt, however, comes from Germany. Some suggest that its origins date back to the late 16th century, when the Protestant reformer Martin Luther organized egg hunts for his congregation. The men would hide the eggs for the women and children to find

Celebrating New Year’s Day…..Well most religions celebrate the beginning of the New Year, even the Jews… The origin of Jewish New Year can be traced to the Bible, and Jewish people have been celebrating it for thousands of years. Rosh Hashanah, which is celebrated the first and second days of Tishri (the seventh month of the Jewish calendar), marks the time when, according to tradition, God created the world. So it is back to say that most religions celebrate the beginning of the New Year.

Labor Day Labor Day May 1st marks the day in 1894 that Congress declared the first Monday in September a national holiday to honor the nation's workers and their contributions to the well-being of the country. Labor Day's roots date back to the 1886 Haymarket Riot in Chicago.

May 1st as a religious holiday…. The holiday celebrates spring at its peak, and the coming summer, which coincides with planting the crops. Beltane also sometimes goes by the name May Day. This holiday is associated very strongly with fertility for pagans and in Judaism as marking the beginning of planting crops called the festival of Pesach which more are less around the time of Passover.

The Epiphany, or Three Kings Day At the end of the Twelve Days of Christmas comes a day called the Epiphany, or Three Kings Day. This holiday is celebrated as the day the three wise men first saw the baby Jesus and brought him gifts. On this day in Spain, many children get their Christmas presents. Epiphany is a Christian holiday but celebrates different events and people depending on the region or country.

Saint John's Eve, starting at sunset on 23 June, is the eve of the feast day of St John the Baptist This is one of the very few feast days marking a saint's birth, rather than their death. And it does have a Pagan side but Christians don’t do the Pagan thing on this day. Like Halloween there is a Pagan side. Most Christians celebrate Halloween and the kids would probably call it child abuse if they didn’t! But for people that do not want to observe Halloween, I cannot blame them.

Last edited:

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not really into attacking others with different views, I probably do have the view that I don’t believe that this is the day Jesus was born, I hold to my own belief that Christians originally chose an alternative celebration on the day to counter the pagan celebrations. So when Christians claim it as solely ‘ their day ‘ and the pagan celebrations are wrong , I don’t think that is right. All of us join in traditions , these will vary from culture to culture - they are engrained into the counties in which we live,
they are also engrained within the church that we may align to - all churches have traditions ( even if they are not aware of them ) Man made rules that have integrated over the years.
I don't think the bible tells us the days that are celebrated.