70 weeks

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jtartar

Mar 14, 2008
(lizz7711;50774)
Ok, i'm sorry for posting again but i have alot of questions! Why would God make a prophecy, stating there are to be "70 weeks" and then just break off after 69 weeks with no indication of how long this break is to be? Are there any other instances in the Bible where time frames are given like that and then there are arbitrary breaks in the middle? I'm leaning towards believing the 70 weeks have already happened as it makes little sense to me that the last week would be separated by 2000+ years. Also, it says in the middle of the week sacrificed would be abolished...and Jesus accomplished that. And Jesus did also in a spiritual sense fulfill "everlasting righteousness etc" by His resurrection. But as i've said, i'm new to this so please feel free to enlighten me to your view points!thanks,Liz
Liz, Many people have tried to explain this prophecy, but few understand what it is talking about. Please give consideration and meditate on exactly what is said. At Dan 9:24-27, we are told about a period of Seven Weeks that have been determined on God's people, Israel. Just as in many other places this Seven Weeks in no seven weeks of seven DAYS, but is a period of Seven YEARS each, Eze 4:6, Num 14:34. The concept is a day for a year. If you multiply 7 times 70 weeks, you get 490 years for the whole Seven Weeks Of Years. What does this mean??? Notice that the weeks are divided up into two time periods, 7 Weeks and 62 weeks, verse 25. Notice that this verse says; from the going forth of the word to restore and rebuild Jerusalem, until MESSIAH the LEADER, there would be 7weeks and 62 weeks. The time period is shown to us at Neh 2:1-8. These scriptures explain how it came about that Nehemiah was able to go to restore Jerusalem. Verse 2:1 says that this happened in the 20th year of Artaxerxes. History tells us that was in the year 455BCE. Now the first 7X7 weeks amount to 49 years. This was the time that the Walls of Jerusalem were completed. This brings us to 406BCE. The next period of time is for 62weeks, which is 7X62, or 434 years. This time would be added to the 7 weeks because it is 69 weeks before the Messiah would come, 7 and 62. This amounts to 483 years, which come to the year 29CE, the exact year that Jesus came to John the Baptist to be baptized, to begin his ministery of 31/2 years. If you add 483 to 455 you come to 30CE, but there was no Zero year back then. The rest of the prophcy concerns the half of the week when gift offering and sacrifice would cease. Notice that verse 26 says that after the 62 weeks that Messiah would be cut off. This happened just 3 1/2 years into the 70th week. Notice also verse 27 says that the Covenant would remain in force for the many for the week, meaning the 70th week. Jesus was killed at the middle of the 70th week, but the Covenant, The Mosaic Law Covenant remain in force until 36CE. This was the date when the first person of the NATIONS was accepted into God's Christian Congregation. This was Cornelius, Acts 10:1,2, 34,35, 44-48, Acts 11:1-4, 15-18. This was the end of the 70 weeks, 490 years, the year 36CE. After that time the NEW COVENANT superceded the Mosaic Law Covenant, Luke 22:16-20, 1Cor 11:23-26, Heb 8:6-13.

precepts

Feb 24, 2008
Jtar's
This time would be added to the 7 weeks because it is 69 weeks before the Messiah would come, 7 and 62. This amounts to 483 years, which come to the year 29CE, the exact year that Jesus came to John the Baptist to be baptized, to begin his ministery of 31/2 years.
There's only problem with your theory, Cyrus conquered Babylon in 539 bc and died in 530bc.

JosyWales

Oct 21, 2008
Orlando, Fl
All of you are going to be very suprised when you find out the truth of these prophecies and how they really apply.I'd love to tell you, but you would not believe me and I don't like being bashed by the decieved.Just keep an open mind and it will be revealed to you (perhaps, if you are lucky, in the same mannor it was revealed to me).

precepts

Feb 24, 2008
precepts Jtar'sQuote:This time would be added to the 7 weeks because it is 69 weeks before the Messiah would come, 7 and 62. This amounts to 483 years, which come to the year 29CE, the exact year that Jesus came to John the Baptist to be baptized, to begin his ministery of 31/2 years. There's only problem with your theory, Cyrus conquered Babylon in 539 bc and died in 530bc.
Why can't I get an answer? Wow! The truth is an offense but not a sin.

logabe

Aug 28, 2008
Daniel is given a revelation about what God was going to do during 70 weeks or 490 years. The weeks are a symbol for 7 year periods, where there are a total of 70 of them. This gives us our 490 total years. Most theologians have come to the conclusion that Jesus' death came at the end of the 69th week, or 483 years after the start of the prophecy time. They look at verse 26 which tells us that the “Anointed One would be cut off” at the end of the 69th week and make the assumption that Jesus death is when the Anointed One was cut off. It is at this point that a very unusual theology has been created. This is that God stops time in the prophecy, something I do not recollect Him doing anywhere else, and holds the last week to be fulfilled during this final battle. It is theorized that the reason that God divided this prophecy in this way is because He is speaking on the two different manifestations of Jesus on earth. The first 69 weeks leading up to His first appearance and death, and the 70th week relating to His second coming. What I find quite interesting is that the Christians focus is on the first 69 weeks (7 + 62), and then look to the last week as the time when the Messiah returns. In Judaism they view this a bit different. They focus on the first set of 7 weeks, or 49 years, then on the next 62 as a separate time which that relates to an entirely different anointed one. They believe that Christians have quite incorrectly combined these two time periods. According to Rabbi Ari Shisher in his thesis called Orthodox Judaism he writes: While Christian scholars believe that Daniel's prophecy concerns a 70 week period, if you read it closely, he refers to a six week period and then a 62 week period (what confuses people more is that the term "shavuah" used here, does not refer to weeks, it's a Torah term for a 7-year period.) Accordingly, the prophecy addresses two events, one that was to occur 49 years after the rebuilding of Jerusalem (beginning of v. 25). Then there will be a destruction 62x7(434) years after that. He as well as many in Judaism believe that the incorrect understanding of Hebrew grammar has led to the error in the way that this revelation is understood. According to Shisher the sixty-two weeks mentioned in Daniel 9:25 are correctly separated in the original Hebrew from the seven weeks by the punctuation mark 'atnach which is omitted in the King James Version. That once the KJV created this error that every Bible translation since has just copied this mistake. He continues by explaining that by creating a sixty-nine week period, which is not divided into two separate periods of seven weeks and sixty-two weeks respectively, Christians have reached an incorrect conclusion, that the Messiah will come 483 years after the destruction of the First Temple. The 'atnach is the appropriate equivalent of the semicolon in the modern system of punctuation. It thus has the effect of separating the seven weeks from the sixty-two weeks: From this we then see that in Judaism they believe that these two periods bring about anointed ones in each section of text. The first they believe was Cyrus who defeated Babylon and allowed the Jews to return to Jerusalem. They believe that Daniel was given this prophecy in 586 BC. Take 49 from that and you come to 537 when they were allowed to return. The next time would begin from 537 and would end 62 weeks later (434 years), which is 103 BC. They theorize that the one who is cut off at the end of this time is the High Priest Alexander Yannai who came to power during that year. He was the last of the great Hasmonean leaders, the ones who had freed Jerusalem from Syrian captivity. He died in 76 BC, but the meaning of “cut off” that is applied to him here is in relation to the position and not to the individual. It appears that Alexander was quite a violent and evil man, and openly rejected the oral law. That being cut off means that the anointed position of High Priest andthe heroic line of Maccabeus ended because it became corrupted by Alexander. Logabe

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Well now of course they(the Jews) would see it that way Logabe sense they do not reconize Christ they would never see it the New Testament way it means zippo ............. Close up the Book Daniel ..it was closed until knowledge increased the book was not completely and fully opened until about 1948 . Though a few before this were given wisdom of it most average Theologians didnt fully come to see all until then ... Thats when the latter Days began ...

logabe

Aug 28, 2008
I thought it would be good to know their (the Jews) take on the 70 weeks. I understand they don't believe that Jesus isthe Messiah.Logabe