A Brilliant Quotation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

wayofthespirit

More often partly wrong than wholly right
Feb 16, 2010
North Norfolk, UK
I came across a brilliant quotation that is so appropriate to Christian Forum Discussions yet it was from the lips of the Venerable John Henry Cardinal Newman almost 200 years ago.

He said:

“Now, we allow ourselves publicly to canvass the most solemn truths in a careless or fiercely argumentative way; truths, which it is as useless as it is unseemly to discuss in public”

If he were alive today I would make him top man in my own forum.

Mike.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I came across a brilliant quotation that is so appropriate to Christian Forum Discussions yet it was from the lips of the Venerable John Henry Cardinal Newman almost 200 years ago.

He said:

“Now, we allow ourselves publicly to canvass the most solemn truths in a careless or fiercely argumentative way; truths, which it is as useless as it is unseemly to discuss in public”

If he were alive today I would make him top man in my own forum.

Mike.

There are many men today, on all sides of the political spectrum, who are reexamining the words and philosophy, and dare I say religion, of those who built the foundations of our nation.

Some of us are rediscovering our roots in liberty as well as how dangerously close we are to tyranny.
Words from them speak of consideration for others, love of country and respect for God.

Deeds I am seeing from many are those of greedy debauched men and women who care for nothing and no one but their own advantages and appetites.

The chains of the Constitution, which were designed to bind the Federal government (not the people), have been thrown off. Today we are witness to a monster of unprecendented power unleashed upon us. There are no restrictions to its power and nothing to oppose its advances upon our liberties.

The only thing which has been formed to stand against the march of Federal tyranny is the states. In the beginning of our republic, our founding fathers drafted the Constitution in such a way as to create an additional safe guard for individual liberty. That safeguard is the right of states to stand between the citizen and the Federal government so as to insure our liberties. Those who love liberty must stand by their states and encourage them to stand by us.

In the absence of any justice in Washington, the only avenue of liberty left to us, our children and our grandchildren lies in our respective states.

wayofthespirit

More often partly wrong than wholly right
Feb 16, 2010
North Norfolk, UK
Can somebody translate this for me please.

Many thanks

Martin

All I can offer is a re-arrangement of the same English words in another way.

But the meaning remains unchanged

“It is as equally useless as it is unseemly to discuss the most solemn truths publically in a careless or fiercely argumentative way.”