A closer look at "baptizo" (to baptize)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JLB

Mar 25, 2012
Christ's baptism at the Jordan River was one - water and spirit. That is the example we follow. Christ said, you must have both water and spirit to enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

Again, the scripture in John 3 is about "birth". The context of the discussion between Jesus and Nicodemus is birth!

You are taking a discussion about being "born again" and assuming, because of your mindset that Jesus is talking about baptism.

Where is the word baptism in this discussion? Does that mean anything to you? John 3:1-8

1 There was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. 2 This man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, "Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him." 3 Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." 4 Nicodemus said to Him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?" 5 Jesus answered, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Do not marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born again.' 8 The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit."

That which is born of the flesh is flesh... What do you think this means. It is speaking of natural child birth! BORN OF FLESH! That is being born of water!

Your method of interpretation is scary. You just make up the rules as you go!

There is no telling what other things you have come up with!

Goodby!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, Selene's beliefs are inline with the Catholic Church and have been believed by Christians for over 2,000 years - she is hardly making them up as she goes.

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
Selene, Your method of interpretation is scary. You just make up the rules as you go!
There is no telling what other things you have come up with!
Goodby!

I'm not sure, but I think she wants us to give her some water.
I'll send her a cupfull, if you will.
She can drink them in the Spirit ... one in each hand.

JLB

Mar 25, 2012
First of all, I did provide scripture. I also don't see you listing those verses. Water baptism was ordered by God. It was never a man-made thing. In fact, Jesus Himself was baptized and He allowed all His disciples to baptize others. And who is the example we should follow? If water baptism was good enough for Jesus, then I will certainly follow Him because He is the Way.

Secondly, when St. Paul says that Christ did not send him to baptize, he is not saying that baptism is not necessary. As a matter of fact, St. Paul was baptized (See Acts 9:18). If St. Paul felt that baptism was not necessary, then why did he undergo baptism? Also, St. Paul baptized others (See 1 Corinthians 1:16).

We believe in only one baptism just as St. Paul says (Ephesians 4:5). The Baptism that our Lord went through in the Jordan River, which was both water and spirit. It is a baptism when God declares that we are His sons and daughters.

The Apostles were already baptized with water BEFORE the Holy Spirit came to them at Pentecost. In fact, the Apostles were even baptizing people with water. John's baptism was only for the forgiveness of sins. But Christ's baptism at the Jordan River was a bit different because Christ did not have any sins. Christ shows us that in our baptism, we would be born into a new creature...a new life as sons and daughters of God. It is a baptism where the old sinful self must die and the new creature in Christ in us rises from the waters. When Christ rose from the waters, a voice in Heaven said "This is my Son, whom I am well pleased." The same happens to us when we were baptized. The Holy Spirit comes upon us and God said, "This is my son/daughter." The Holy Spirit comes upon us, remains in us, and plants the seed of faith in us. The seed of faith in us grows as we live out the promises of our baptism and constantly look to God for it is only in God that strengthens our faith. So, when Christ said one must be born again of water and spirit...He was referring to baptism.

God ordered St. John the baptist to baptize for the forgiveness of sins, but also to identify who Christ is.

John 1:33 And I knew him not: but He that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is He which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.

As you see in Scripture, it was God who ordered St. John the Baptist to baptize. It was never a man-made thing. God never rescinded that order. In fact, Jesus allowed His disciples to continue water baptism (John 3:22).

Water baptism is definitely an operation of the new testament church.

The baptism of The Holy Spirit is also.

Please consider the scriptures I gave you.

JLB

romans7

May 30, 2012
I am still open to gifts of the Spirit but I have found in all the pentecostal/charismatic churches visited over very many years, that the only "gifts" evidenced are what has come out of someone's mouth. Jesus "backed up" his words of power with acts of power. I would be interested to know where one can go to see non-verbal gifts in action. (other than Benny Hinnes or etc perhaps).
The "flow-on" from those times and scriptures regarding the Spirit appears to finalise as Jesus said "..even the spirit of Truth, who is with you, and will be in you..". . Although we can see that this was a reference to Pentecost, perhaps the greater ramification of this is that we should be aware of the "Spirit", "Truth", and "God", as being one reality in which we should all be walking. Good-Oh for Spirit "gifts", don't forget there is a "better" way.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Water baptism is definitely an operation of the new testament church.

The baptism of The Holy Spirit is also.

Please consider the scriptures I gave you.

JLB

Where in my post did I ever disregard the baptism of the Holy Spiri?. Baptism is actually an immersion of BOTH water and Holy Spirit. It is the same as Jesus' baptism....a baptism of both water and Spirit. There is only one baptism. The baptism we believe in is a baptism of both water and Holy Spirit.

That which is born of the flesh is flesh... What do you think this means. It is speaking of natural child birth! BORN OF FLESH! That is being born of water!

Jesus said "being born of the flesh is flesh." He did not say "Being born of WATER is flesh." That's the difference. Jesus clearly said "one must be born of water and spirit in order to enter God's kingdom." He is saying that we must also be born of water AND spirit. He did not say to be born of Spirit ONLY. Scripture says that those of the flesh cannot enter God's kingdom; therefore, Christ was not speaking of the flesh as a symbol of water.

1 Corinthians 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

Scripture says that flesh cannot enter God's kingdom; yet, Jesus say that to enter His kingdom, we must be born of water and spirit. Therefore, Christ is not speaking about our flesh or being born of the flesh. He was speaking about baptism.

I'm not sure, but I think she wants us to give her some water.
I'll send her a cupfull, if you will.
She can drink them in the Spirit ... one in each hand.

Really, Zain.....such a childish remark. :rolleyes:

JLB

Mar 25, 2012
Selene said -

Jesus said "being born of the flesh is flesh." He did not say "Being born of WATER is flesh." That's the difference. Jesus clearly said "one must be born of water and spirit in order to enter God's kingdom." He is saying that we must also be born of water AND spirit. He did not say to be born of Spirit ONLY. Scripture says that those of the flesh cannot enter God's kingdom; therefore, Christ was not speaking of the flesh as a symbol of water.

1 Corinthians 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

Scripture says that flesh cannot enter God's kingdom; yet, Jesus say that to enter His kingdom, we must be born of water and spirit. Therefore, Christ is not speaking about our flesh or being born of the flesh. He was speaking about baptism.

When you are baptized in water, you are not born, it is symbolic of the death burial and resurrection.

Of course flesh and blood can't enter The Kingdom of God. Jesus is saying you must be a legitimate human being through natural child birth and be born again, in other words spirit beings don't qualify for redemption just because they hear the Gospel.

You cannot ignore the phrase for flesh gives birth to flesh in this discussion!

5 Jesus answered, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Please consider and comment on the phrase " He came by water and blood"

1 John 5:6

This is He who came by water and blood--Jesus Christ; not only by water, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit who bears witness, because the Spirit is truth.

This is a clear reference to the miracle virgin birth of Jesus Christ, that He is The Messiah!

Please acknowledge this scripture.

JLB

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
The beginning of the baptism with the Holy Spirit

John the Baptist said Jesus is the One who baptizes with the Holy Spirit
He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.” (Matthew 3:11).
The other gospels say the same (Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16, John 1:33).

Jesus instructed His disciples to wait for God's promise of spiritual power
”… Behold, I send the promise of My Father upon you; but tarry in the city of Jerusalem
until you are endued with power from on high.” (Luke 24:49)

Luke gives more details about Jesus' instructions
“… He commanded them … to wait for the promise of the Father
… you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.
… you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you;
and you shall be witnesses to Me … to the end of the earth.” (Acts 1:4-8)

Then, approximately 120 people received what was promised above
“When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a mighty rushing wind, and it filled
the whole house where they were sitting. Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire,
and one sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit
and began to
speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.” (Acts 2:1-4)

The baptism with the Holy Spirit (accompanied by speaking in tongues) results in spiritual power!
When one receives this baptism, the Holy Spirit always comes upon people (7 references).
When one is born again, the Holy Spirit always comes inside people (also 7 references).

For further study
“the promise” of this baptism is also the “gift” mentioned in Acts 2:37-39, Acts 10:44-48, Acts 11:15-17.
Note: Acts 10:47-48 refers to receiving water baptism after receiving the Holy Spirit baptism.
Note: Acts 11:18 says since the Gentiles received this baptism, they must be saved.

Conclusion
How can people insist that this baptism is the born-again salvation experience?
This baptism is connected with tongues, and the spiritual “power” is the 9 spiritual gifts of 1 Cor 12.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
After the Apostles received the Holy Spirit at Pentecoast, the Apostle Peter addressed this to the crowd.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

After being baptized with water, they will receive the Holy Spirit. It is a baptism of both water and spirit, which is what Christ displayed at His baptism in the Jordan River.

JLB

Mar 25, 2012
After the Apostles received the Holy Spirit at Pentecoast, the Apostle Peter addressed this to the crowd.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

After being baptized with water, they will receive the Holy Spirit. It is a baptism of both water and spirit, which is what Christ displayed at His baptism in the Jordan River.

When were the Apostles baptized in water?

When were the apostles baptized in The Holy Spirit?

These were two separate times, over 3 years apart.

So the pattern of being baptized in water and with The Holy Spirit at the same time as Jesus was, it not the case with the disciples nor was it the case with anyone else in the New Testament.

I have given you examples of this, using the scriptures, that baptism in water and baptism in The Holy Spirit are two separate baptism's.

Jesus himself told His disciples that the baptism of John in water was not the only baptism for them -
...for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now." Acts 1:5

If you refuse to believe Jesus, then I don't think anything I say will convince you.

JLB

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
When were the Apostles baptized in water?

When were the apostles baptized in The Holy Spirit?

These were two separate times, over 3 years apart.

So the pattern of being baptized in water and with The Holy Spirit at the same time as Jesus was, it not the case with the disciples nor was it the case with anyone else in the New Testament.

I have given you examples of this, using the scriptures, that baptism in water and baptism in The Holy Spirit are two separate baptism's.

Jesus himself told His disciples that the baptism of John in water was not the only baptism for them -
...for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now." Acts 1:5

If you refuse to believe Jesus, then I don't think anything I say will convince you.

JLB

Jesus is the one who set the example. He told St. John the Baptist to baptize Him to fulfill all righteousness. Christ really did not need to be baptize because He did not have any sins, but this was the example He set for all to follow. After Pentecost, St. Peter DID say to the people, "repent and be baptize for the remission of sins and receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." Baptism serves two purpose: 1) for the forgiveness of sins and 2) an initiation into God's family as sons and daughters.

Baptism must be BOTH water and spirit. For example, in Acts 10, Cornelius received the Holy Spirit, but not water. God sent St. Peter to baptize him with water. Then in Acts 19, St. Paul met a few disciples of John who were baptized with water, but did not receive the Holy Spirit. So, St. Paul baptized them with the Holy Spirit through the laying of hands. Because BOTH are needed......they became one baptism just as St. Paul says (See Ephesians 4:5). You may see two baptisms, but St. Paul clearly says that there is only one baptism.....both water and spirit is one baptism.

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA

Re: Acts 2:33 ...
In post 28, I have shown that "the promise of the Holy Spirit" is the Holy Spirit baptism (not salvation).

Re: Acts 2:37 ...
When the Judean Jews asked, "Men and brethren, what shall we do?",
they were wanting to know how to have the same experience as Peter had on the Day of Pentecost.

Re: Acts 2:38 ...
In post 28, I have shown that the "gift" is the baptism with the Holy Spirit (not salvation).

Re: Acts 2:39 ...
In post 28, I h
ave shown that "the promise" is the baptism with the Holy Spirit (not salvation).

JLB

Mar 25, 2012
Jesus is the one who set the example. He told St. John the Baptist to baptize Him to fulfill all righteousness. Christ really did not need to be baptize because He did not have any sins, but this was the example He set for all to follow. After Pentecost, St. Peter DID say to the people, "repent and be baptize for the remission of sins and receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." Baptism serves two purpose: 1) for the forgiveness of sins and 2) an initiation into God's family as sons and daughters.

Baptism must be BOTH water and spirit. For example, in Acts 10, Cornelius received the Holy Spirit, but not water. God sent St. Peter to baptize him with water. Then in Acts 19, St. Paul met a few disciples of John who were baptized with water, but did not receive the Holy Spirit. So, St. Paul baptized them with the Holy Spirit through the laying of hands. Because BOTH are needed......they became one baptism just as St. Paul says (See Ephesians 4:5). You may see two baptisms, but St. Paul clearly says that there is only one baptism.....both water and spirit is one baptism.

I agree with you, baptism in water is necessary as well as baptism in The Holy Spirit.

What I don't agree with is, just because you are baptized in water, does not mean you have received the baptism of The Holy Spirit.

Jesus said - for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now."

John the baptist said - I indeed baptized you with water, but He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit." Mark 1:8

and again - 12 But when they believed Philip as he preached the things concerning the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, both men and women were baptized. 13 Then Simon himself also believed; and when he was baptized he continued with Philip, and was amazed, seeing the miracles and signs which were done. 14 Now when the apostles who were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them, 15 who, when they had come down, prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. 16 For as yet He had fallen upon none of them. They had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then they laid hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

Thanks, JLB

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
I agree with you, baptism in water is necessary as well as baptism in The Holy Spirit.

What I don't agree with is, just because you are baptized in water, does not mean you have received the baptism of The Holy Spirit.

Jesus said - for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now."

John the baptist said - I indeed baptized you with water, but He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit." Mark 1:8

and again - 12 But when they believed Philip as he preached the things concerning the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, both men and women were baptized. 13 Then Simon himself also believed; and when he was baptized he continued with Philip, and was amazed, seeing the miracles and signs which were done. 14 Now when the apostles who were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them, 15 who, when they had come down, prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. 16 For as yet He had fallen upon none of them. They had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then they laid hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

When it is done properly, a person can be baptized with both water and Holy Spirit at the same time. Christ told His Apostles to go out and baptize every nation "in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit." St. John was baptizing only for the remission of sins. He did not baptize "in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit." and he couldn't until after the messianic promises have been fulfilled. The disciples of John who were baptized were baptized only with water. St. Paul was able to baptize them with the Holy Spirit because at that time, Christ had already given the spirit in abudance just as He promised (See Acts 2:17-18,33). After Christ commanded the Apostles to go out and baptize in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, it was a bapitsm of both water and spirit.

JLB

Mar 25, 2012
When it is done properly, a person can be baptized with both water and Holy Spirit at the same time. Christ told His Apostles to go out and baptize every nation "in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit." St. John was baptizing only for the remission of sins. He did not baptize "in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit." and he couldn't until after the messianic promises have been fulfilled. The disciples of John who were baptized were baptized only with water. St. Paul was able to baptize them with the Holy Spirit because at that time, Christ had already given the spirit in abudance just as He promised (See Acts 2:17-18,33). After Christ commanded the Apostles to go out and baptize in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, it was a bapitsm of both water and spirit.

Was John's baptism from heaven or from men?

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Was John's baptism from heaven or from men?

It came from Heaven.

John 1:33 "I did not know Him, but He who sent me to baptize with water said to me, 'Upon whom you see the Spirit descending, and remaining on Him, this is He who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.'

It was God who sent St. John the Baptist to baptize.

JLB

Mar 25, 2012
It came from Heaven.

John 1:33 "I did not know Him, but He who sent me to baptize with water said to me, 'Upon whom you see the Spirit descending, and remaining on Him, this is He who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.'

It was God who sent St. John the Baptist to baptize.

Good answer!

In this scripture, what does this phrase mean to you - When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus...

Do you think this means they were baptized in water again, after being baptized by John, who by the way, as you said was sent by God meaning his baptism was sufficient for what He sent him to do.

And it happened, while Apollos was at Corinth, that Paul, having passed through the upper regions, came to Ephesus. And finding some disciples 2 he said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" So they said to him, "We have not so much as heard whether there is a Holy Spirit." 3 And he said to them, "Into what then were you baptized?" So they said, "Into John's baptism." 4 Then Paul said, "John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus." 5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied. Acts 19:1-6

JLB

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Good answer!

In this scripture, what does this phrase mean to you - When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus...

Do you think this means they were baptized in water again, after being baptized by John, who by the way, as you said was sent by God meaning his baptism was sufficient for what He sent him to do.

And it happened, while Apollos was at Corinth, that Paul, having passed through the upper regions, came to Ephesus. And finding some disciples 2 he said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" So they said to him, "We have not so much as heard whether there is a Holy Spirit." 3 And he said to them, "Into what then were you baptized?" So they said, "Into John's baptism." 4 Then Paul said, "John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus." 5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied. Acts 19:1-6

JLB

No, these disciples of John were not baptized with water again when they heard the name of Jesus. God sent St. John the Baptist to baptize people for the remission of sins and to tell them of the one who will come after him. St. John the Baptist always said that there will be one after him who will baptize with the Holy Spirit, but he did not know who He was until later when he saw the Holy Spirit came down on Him. God told John the Baptist, "'Upon whom you see the Spirit descending, and remaining on Him, this is He who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.' (John 1:33). St. John the Baptist was able to tell two of his followers who Jesus was, and these two went after Christ (See John 1:35-42), but he was unable to tell the rest of the followers about Jesus because he was arrested and later beheaded. So, some of the disciples of John who were baptized with water were unaware of Jesus, the Son of God.

St. John the Baptist could not baptize with the Holy Spirit the way the Apostles were able to do because 1) the Messianic promise has not yet been fulfilled, and 2) the Spirit was not yet given in abudance. When St. Paul met these disciples of John, St. Paul told them about Christ so they could believe in Him. "Baptized in the name of Jesus Christ" means that they now know and believed in Jesus Christ. To receive the Holy Spirit, one must be baptized and believe in Jesus Christ (See Acts 2:38). They were already baptized with the forgiveness of sins, but they must also believe in Jesus Christ to receive the Holy Spirit. After they heard and believe in Christ, St. Paul laid his hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit. These disciples were already baptized. What they needed was the Holy Spirit. St. John the Baptist was the forerunner. He was the voice in the desert....the Prophet of the Most Hight who came before the Lord to prepare the way for Him (Luke 1:76).

God already took care of water baptism through St. John the Baptist. Christ continued this practice of water baptism after John died (See John 4:1-2). But to receive the Holy Spirit, one must believe in Jesus Christ.

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Christ told His Apostles to go out into the world and baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son (Jesus Christ), and the Holy Spirit. The Apostles baptized with both water and spirit. There are some who believe that water baptism is useless. This is incorrect and even contradictory to the Holy Bible. Water baptism was never made by man. It was ordered by God, and Christ continued the practice of water baptism even after St. John the Baptist died. Therefore, baptism is necessary.

JLB

Mar 25, 2012
No, these disciples of John were not baptized with water again when they heard the name of Jesus

With that in mind, look at this scripture again -

2 he said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" So they said to him, "We have not so much as heard whether there is a Holy Spirit." 3 And he said to them, "Into what then were you baptized?" So they said, "Into John's baptism." 4 Then Paul said, "John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus." 5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied.

1 - "Into John's baptism." = Water Baptism

2. - baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. = Baptized into Christ ( which is the "Born Again" experience)

3. And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues = Baptism in the Holy Spirit

Three distinct and separate Baptisms!

Paul described them from the old testament with this typology - 1 Corinthians 10:1-5

1 Moreover, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers were under the cloud, all passed through the sea, 2 all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, 3 all ate the same spiritual food, 4 and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ. 5 But with most of them God was not well pleased, for their bodies were scattered in the wilderness.

into Moses = baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

in the cloud = Baptism in the Holy Spirit

in the sea = Baptism in water

... you shall baptize them in the name of The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit.

JLB

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
No, these disciples of John were not baptized with water again when they heard the name of Jesus

With that in mind, look at this scripture again -

2 he said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" So they said to him, "We have not so much as heard whether there is a Holy Spirit." 3 And he said to them, "Into what then were you baptized?" So they said, "Into John's baptism." 4 Then Paul said, "John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus." 5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied.

1 - "Into John's baptism." = Water Baptism

2. - baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. = Baptized into Christ ( which is the "Born Again" experience)

3. And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues = Baptism in the Holy Spirit

Three distinct and separate Baptisms!

Hello JLB,

St. Paul said that there is only one baptism.

Ephesians 4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

Paul described them from the old testament with this typology - 1 Corinthians 10:1-5

1 Moreover, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers were under the cloud, all passed through the sea, 2 all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, 3 all ate the same spiritual food, 4 and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ. 5 But with most of them God was not well pleased, for their bodies were scattered in the wilderness.

into Moses = baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

in the cloud = Baptism in the Holy Spirit

in the sea = Baptism in water

... you shall baptize them in the name of The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit.

JLB

This is still the same concept of a baptism of water and spirit. God hovered the Israelites as a pillar of cloud as they passed through the waters of the Red Sea.

Christ said that one must be born of water and spirit to enter the Kingdom of God. At the Jordan River, Christ was baptized with water and spirit. That is the baptism that we follow because it is Christ who sets the example. When Christ was immersed in the waters and rose from it, the Holy Spirit descended upon Him and God said, "This is my Son, whom I am well pleased." This is the baptism that Christ was speaking of - to be born of water and spirit. So, when we baptize with water, the Holy Spirit descends upon the person, and God said, "This is my son/daughter." Baptism brings us into God's family......water because it cleanses us from sin, making us holy; and spirit because we now belong to God as His child. A baptism like Christ where we are declared sons and daughters of God as we rise from the waters after burying our sins, we become new creatures in Christ living a newness of life (See Romans 6:4 and Col. 2:12).