A Great Light has shined in the Darkness but the Darkness comprehended it not:

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Love this quote from Samuel Johnson:
“Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. Truth invites it.”
Love, love that because it reminds me of Jesus Christ being examined. And no matter how much He was examined, they could find no wrong with Him. Also love “Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. truth invites it.” Because of the passage of coming to the Light that your deeds be made manifest but men hated the light…dreading it because they knew their deeds were Fraud and falsehood. Those who love the Light …welcome examination. (Imo). No matter how I look at it there is a lot of truth to “Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. Truth invites it.” Jesus Christ was so open to those religious leaders speculations and accusations…responding “that is what you say.” but as soon as He showed light into their darkness they were master gaslighters, who ran from anything being found out about what was hidden in them.

Recall the Former Days …after a light shined unto you, after which you endured a hard struggle …sometimes being publicly exposed …sometimes partners with those so treated …you had compassion on those in prison taking joyfully the plundering of your property…do not throw away your confidence…
Hebrews 10:32-38 [37] For, "Yet a little while, and the coming one will come and will not delay; [38] but my righteous one shall live by faith, and if he shrinks back, my soul has no pleasure in him."

You have need of patience to endure. He went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison, [20] because they formerly did not obey, (Recall the former days) when God's patience waited in the days of Noah, …Baptism which NOW corresponds to this …endurance and waiting as God waited in the days of Noah…now saves you not in the removal of the dirt from the body but as an appeal of a good conscience through the resurrection of Jesus Christ …in which He went and and proclaimed to the spirits in prison because they formerly did not obey when God waited for what was the preparation of the Ark.
1 Peter 3:18-22

The People walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them a Light shined.
Isaiah 9:2-10 The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined. [3] Thou hast multiplied the nation, and not increased their joy before thee according to the joy in harvest, and as men rejoice when they divide the spoil. [4] For You have broken the yoke of his burden, and the staff of his shoulder, the rod of his oppressor, as in the day of Midian. [5] For every battle of the warrior is with confused noise, and garments rolled in blood; but this shall be with burning and fuel of fire. [6] For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. [7] Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this. [8] The Lord sent a word into Jacob, and it has lighted upon Israel. [9] And all the people shall know, even Ephraim and the inhabitant of Samaria, that say in the pride and stoutness of heart, [10] The bricks are fallen down, but we will build with hewn stones: the sycomores are cut down, but we will change them into cedars.

John 1:5-17 And the light shines in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. [6] There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. [7] The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe. [8] He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. [9] That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. [10] He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. [11] He came unto his own, and his own received him not. [12] But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: [13] Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. [14] And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. [15] John bear witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me. [16] And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace. [17] For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

2 Corinthians 4:5-6
For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake. [6] For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

1 John 2:8-11 Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shines. [9] He that says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness even until now. [10] He that loves his brother abides in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him. [11] But he that hates his brother is in darkness, and walks in darkness, and knows not where he goes, because that darkness has blinded his eyes.

Recall the Former Days …in which He went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison because they formerly did not obey when God waited for what was the preparation of the Ark. …Through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the dayspring from on high has visited us, [79] To give(show) light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace. [80] And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, and was in the deserts till the day of his shewing (when the True Light did shine) unto Israel. Luke 1:78-80

Last edited:

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Love, love that because it reminds me of Jesus Christ being examined. And no matter how much He was examined, they could find no wrong with Him. Also love “Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. truth invites it.” Because of the passage of coming to the Light that your deeds be made manifest but men hated the light…dreading it because they knew their deeds were Fraud and falsehood. Those who love the Light …welcome examination. (Imo). No matter how I look at it there is a lot of truth to “Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. Truth invites it.” Jesus Christ was so open to those religious leaders speculations and accusations…responding “that is what you say.” but as soon as He showed light into their darkness they were master gaslighters, who ran from anything being found out about what was hidden in them.

Recall the Former Days …after a light shined unto you, after which you endured a hard struggle …sometimes being publicly exposed …sometimes partners with those so treated …you had compassion on those in prison taking joyfully the plundering of your property…do not throw away your confidence…
Hebrews 10:32-38 [37] For, "Yet a little while, and the coming one will come and will not delay; [38] but my righteous one shall live by faith, and if he shrinks back, my soul has no pleasure in him."

You have need of patience to endure. He went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison, [20] because they formerly did not obey, (Recall the former days) when God's patience waited in the days of Noah, …Baptism which NOW corresponds to this …endurance and waiting as God waited in the days of Noah…now saves you not in the removal of the dirt from the body but as an appeal of a good conscience through the resurrection of Jesus Christ …in which He went and and proclaimed to the spirits in prison because they formerly did not obey when God waited for what was the preparation of the Ark.
1 Peter 3:18-22

The People walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them a Light shined.
Isaiah 9:2-10 The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined. [3] Thou hast multiplied the nation, and not increased their joy before thee according to the joy in harvest, and as men rejoice when they divide the spoil. [4] For You have broken the yoke of his burden, and the staff of his shoulder, the rod of his oppressor, as in the day of Midian. [5] For every battle of the warrior is with confused noise, and garments rolled in blood; but this shall be with burning and fuel of fire. [6] For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. [7] Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this. [8] The Lord sent a word into Jacob, and it has lighted upon Israel. [9] And all the people shall know, even Ephraim and the inhabitant of Samaria, that say in the pride and stoutness of heart, [10] The bricks are fallen down, but we will build with hewn stones: the sycomores are cut down, but we will change them into cedars.

John 1:5-17 And the light shines in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. [6] There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. [7] The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe. [8] He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. [9] That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. [10] He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. [11] He came unto his own, and his own received him not. [12] But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: [13] Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. [14] And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. [15] John bear witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me. [16] And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace. [17] For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

2 Corinthians 4:5-6
For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake. [6] For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

1 John 2:8-11 Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shines. [9] He that says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness even until now. [10] He that loves his brother abides in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him. [11] But he that hates his brother is in darkness, and walks in darkness, and knows not where he goes, because that darkness has blinded his eyes.

Recall the Former Days …in which He went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison because they formerly did not obey when God waited for what was the preparation of the Ark. …Through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the dayspring from on high has visited us, [79] To give(show) light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace. [80] And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, and was in the deserts till the day of his shewing (when the True Light did shine) unto Israel. Luke 1:78-80
When we walk with the Lord we learn things that others don't.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

John 1:5-17 And the light shines in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. [6] There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. [7] The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe. [8] He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. [9] That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. [
..."which lighteth every man that come into the world"...

...not only those who believe or those who are born again [from above].

All of us were there. All of us came into the world not knowing the Lord or having Him within us. All of us were lighted by the true Light. Not everyone so lighted sought that Light and acknowledged that Light and like Jesus became lights...

Joh 8:12Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

Mt 5:14Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
..."which lighteth every man that come into the world"...

...not only those who believe or those who are born again [from above].

All of us were there. All of us came into the world not knowing the Lord or having Him within us. All of us were lighted by the true Light. Not everyone so lighted sought that Light and acknowledged that Light and like Jesus became lights...
Thank you. Oddly …”which lighteth every man that come into the world” … helps with this weird confusing “I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment you had from the beginning …” “the old commandment is the word which you heard from the beginning …” “Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which is true in Him and in you”…the darkness is past, and the true Light now shines .. 1 John 2:7-8 Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which you had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which you have heard from the beginning. [8] Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth.

I can’t make heads or tails out of it…but your post about the true light …with “I don’t write a new commandment but one you had from the beginning”…seems to clarify or help what is “it’s not a new commandment but one you had from the beginning…” yet “again, a new commandment I write unto you” … :Zzzzz:

• Love
Reactions: amadeus and Mr E

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you. Oddly …”which lighteth every man that come into the world” … helps with this weird confusing “I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment you had from the beginning …” “the old commandment is the word which you heard from the beginning …” “Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which is true in Him and in you”…the darkness is past, and the true Light now shines .. 1 John 2:7-8 Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which you had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which you have heard from the beginning. [8] Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth.

I can’t make heads or tails out of it…but your post about the true light …with “I don’t write a new commandment but one you had from the beginning”…seems to clarify or help what is “it’s not a new commandment but one you had from the beginning…” yet “again, a new commandment I write unto you” … :Zzzzz:
And again, also remember what John the Baptist said here:

Joh 3:30He must increase, but I must decrease.
Was not the Baptist a great man of God? But... consider what Jesus said about him here:

Mt 11:11Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

Perhaps the greatness of each of us, if we have any, is in the growing. Did not Jesus grow while he was walking planet Earth as a man?

Lu 2:52And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.

Our problems most often it seems to me occur when we stop growing. While we have time left to us of that which God has allotted, only at the end of our course should we stop. I may be closer to my physical end than many others here, but each and every day I still make an effort to surrender to Him so that He may [if it is His will] lift me up or increase me one more time.

How high can we go? How high is God? No man can attain to so high as Him, but we must continue to strive. Perhaps perfection as God sees it is to be found in the surrendering/striving/growing rather than in the attaining of any particular goals or plateaus that any man is able to name?

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And again, also remember what John the Baptist said here:

Joh 3:30He must increase, but I must decrease.
Was not the Baptist a great man of God? But... consider what Jesus said about him here:

Mt 11:11Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

Perhaps the greatness of each of us, if we have any, is in the growing. Did not Jesus grow while he was walking planet Earth as a man?

Lu 2:52And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.

Our problems most often it seems to me occur when we stop growing. While we have time left to us of that which God has allotted, only at the end of our course should we stop. I may be closer to my physical end than many others here, but each and every day I still make an effort to surrender to Him so that He may [if it is His will] lift me up or increase me one more time.

How high can we go? How high is God? No man can attain to so high as Him, but we must continue to strive. Perhaps perfection as God sees it is to be found in the surrendering/striving/growing rather than in the attaining of any particular goals or plateaus that any man is able to name?
Once again I’m reminded of one of byrds favorite sayings which he said often on the board “who told you you’re naked?”

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Once again I’m reminded of one of byrds favorite sayings which he said often on the board “who told you you’re naked?”
Amen! Our dear old friend, byrrd was so often on the spot... Consider then that after God had rebuked the pair, He did not leave them with their man-made fig leaf coverings:

Ge 3:21Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.

Last edited:
Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen! Our dear old friend, byrrd was so often on the spot... Consider then that after had rebuked the pair, He did not leave them with their man-made fig leaf coverings:

Ge 3:21Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.
How are doing John?

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How are doing John?
Very well considering my 80 years. This last week I had another immunotherapy treatment. Only two more and I will be done. I will have another PET scan following that to make sure there is still no cancer. With that my eyes improving and I will soon be able to drive again. Give God the glory!

Last edited: